Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Down
Author Topic: Brothers  (Read 61182 times)
TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2018, 02:38:24 AM »

LSG succinctly brings up some excellent points: the Old Man does not seem to be your typical villain.  Still, I wonder what his endgame is (and hopefully Rakham & Co. aren't headed into a meat-grinder).

About the emitter: have you tried contacting Customer Service?  They (Marlena) helped me immensely  Wink

LOVING this story!  Can't wait to see where we're going next!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2018, 06:51:27 AM »

Yes, LSG and TD put it wonderfully. The Old Man may or may not be who he seems to be, or who (or what) we assumed he is. Still very interesting. I like that you went the Dark Jedi route. The rest of us have gone pretty much every possible way (Gray Jedi, Inquisitor, and Insanely Powerful Force Adept) except that. Very cool.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

TheDrunkenConsular
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 44

Light Side

« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2018, 08:18:27 AM »

Thanks for the kind words, guys!  I did email them about purchasing a Flamberge emitter, but they said that don't sell it by itself.

Now, the one that we've all been waiting for!  Moving forward, there will most likely be a time skip, but I'm not sure if I want to follow Legends or Canon, so chime in!   Also, a couple of regulars haven't commented on the last chapter yet, so if you're reading this, make sure you aren't jumping ahead!

CHAPTER 12: In Conclusion

They had come to the right place.  The Fugitive sat beside the Jedi's shuttle, looking no worse for the wear.  No one was nearby that they could sense, but each of them kept a saber in hand anyway as they disembarked the shuttle.  They were all grimly silent as they walked shoulder to shoulder towards the entrance to the Old Man's fortress.  They had spoken enough on the long way here, now was the time to put those plans in action.  Strangely, they did not sense darkness or light around the mountaintop.  The Force here was completely neutral.

Walking through the entrance, what had appeared to be utter darkness from the outside revealed itself to be soft grey light.  Rakham suspected that the blackness of the entrance was an illusion.  The four found themselves in a long, rough hewn stone hallway that opened up into an large room at the end that appeared to be richly decorated with fine rugs and drapes and filled with antiques, art and treasure.  As they made their way towards it, suddenly, a blast of energy pushed them all apart, and walls of solid stone sprang up from the floor, slamming into the ceiling and cutting them off from one another.

Heditt and Dala were trapped in a box.  Walls of stone had appeared in front of them and behind them, blocked each path down the hallway.  They tried to reach out to the others in the Force, and when that failed, attacked the stone with their lightsabers.  The blades had no effect.  The two looked at one another with a sinking feeling as the voice of an old man spoke directly into their minds.
     Sit tight, friends.  Your fate has not yet been decided yet.

Rakham thought he had been pinned against the side of the hallway by three stone barriers, until he turned around and saw that a passage had opened behind him. He attempted the the same things as the others, and when they didn't work, he began to warily make his way down the passage.

Tasrii had a clear path to the great hall at the end of the passage, but she was busy mercilessly attacking the wall behind her, attempting to rejoin her companions.  Unsatisfied when half a dozen strikes with her saber had no effect, she began using the Force, pushing and pulling in every direction she could think of, to no avail.  Finally, she decided to press on, walking towards the hall.  She was astounded by the treasures there.  Piles of precious metals and gemstones were sporadically dotted around the walls, interspersed by paintings, statues and ancient artifacts.  Many of the pedestals held lightsabers that appeared hundreds, if not thousands, of years old.   There were bookshelves that reached nearly to the top of the walls, which stretched into a steepled ceiling of stained glass.  Against one wall, a table held racks holding at least a dozen lightsabers, these newer, and most of them in the outlandish designs preferred by Dark Jedi.
     Tasrii stepped into the room, and as she did, the walls suddenly shifted, dropping down into the floor and whisking away the assorted treasures.  The light went from golden to grey, and the floor was splashed with color from the stained glass ceiling.  She felt a presence suddenly, and turned to see Adkai standing near a wall, saber in hand.
     "I'm sorry, Tas."  He activated his lightsaber and strode forward, preparing to strike.

Rakham followed the passageway as it took several twists and turns, and soon, the sweet smell of burning pipe leaf came to his nose. Normally, the scent would have brought a smile to his face, but here, it was alarming.  He'd only ever known a handful of people who smoked the particular leaf he smelled, himself included.  Finally, he came to a door.  It was made of a beautifully stained and polished hardwood, with a golden catch.  He reached out and grasped the catch, steeling himself for what he might find.
     The interior of the room was gorgeous.  Paneling made from the same wood as the door ran around the walls, but it was mostly covered with floor to ceiling bookshelves.  The floor was covered in thick red carpet, and against one wall, a huge, octagonal window that appeared to look out over the treasure room they'd seen earlier.  Against the back wall sat a desk, and sitting behind the desk, a pipe clenched between his teeth, the Old Man.

Except to Rakham, this wasn't the Old Man.

This was Kadmaur.

Arctic blue flashed against bright yellow as Addy charged, allowing fury to fuel him.  Tasrii met his blade with a parry and sidestepped gracefully, allowing his momentum to carry him past.
     "I don't want to fight you.  We want you to come home with us."
     "I have no home, and neither do you."  He snarled back at her, turning to swing his saber again.  "The Sith took that privilege from us!" 
     Again, Tas parried, attempting to disarm him, but failing.  "Hatred is what destroyed the Jedi, Addy.  By succumbing to it, you're no better than the Sith."  Her words only served to anger him more, and his attacks came more angrily, faster, but without control.  Tas ducked under a wild swing at her head and Force pushed Addy off his feet, causing him to land with a thud.  "It doesn't have to be like this!"  She insisted in vain, as he rose to his feet for another attempt.

"Master?"  Rakham asked in disbelief, confusion washing over him.  "Tasrii said you were dead!"
     "As far as she knew, son, I was."  Kadmaur replied kindly. 
     "Where is Adkai, and what happened to Tasrii and my brother and wife?"  Rakham asked, beginning to get a bad feeling.
     "They are near, and, for the most part, safe.  The show is going to start soon though, and I'd rather not miss it discussing them.  We'll get around to it.  Come, now."  He stood from his desk and walked over to the large window.  Rakham followed him, and saw Tasrii walk into the treasure room below.  Rakham opened his mouth to ask what the meaning of this was, but Kadmaur shushed him, and with a gesture of his hand, the walls of the treasure room below dropped down into the floor, replaced by blank stone, leaving Tasrii in an empty room..  Without removing his eyes from Tasrii, who was now looking confusedly around, Kadmaur spoke.
     "It's so good to see you again, Rakham.  I've spent years preparing for this day.  All that's left is for you to pass the test."
     "What test?" 
     "This one."  As Kadmaur spoke, Addy stepped out behind Tasrii, and for a brief moment, Rakham was relieved to see him in one piece, but that feeling turned to dread as he activated his lightsaber and charged Tas, who barely brought her own blade up in time to parry his wild strike.  A smile spread across Kadmaur's face.
     "I haven't seen a lightsaber like that in many years."
     The two continued their fight below, with Tasrii staying on the defensive, refusing to strike back, and Addy becoming more and more aggressive.
     "Why are you doing this?"  Rakham asked, desperation creeping into his voice.  He could sense the two Jedi below now, and he could feel that Addy wasn't going to stop. A darkness had taken tight hold of him. 
     "The true mark of a Master is not the knowledge that one has acquired, apprentice, it is one's ability to impart knowledge.  You are my equal in ability, Rakham, as long as one adjusts that measure to account for the experience I have and you don't as of yet, so all that remains now is to see if you are able to share your ability as well as I can.  That's why I sent you Tasrii, and brought Adkai here.  I taught him to embrace passion, and use it to his advantage, while you taught Tasrii to walk the path of balance.    Now, we shall see if you were able to teach her enough to survive this encounter."
     "I don't understand.  If this is about making me a Master, the Jedi are gone, and if they weren't, they would never approve of you corrupting a young Jedi Knight as part of the test.  Again, why are you doing this?"  Rakham was growing angry now.  This was another one of Kadmaur's games, and he had a growing suspicion that Kadmaur was the one who kept calling the Imperials on them, using the Empire to herd them along towards this showdown.
      Kadmaur sighed.  "The council's approval meant nothing to me when they were alive, and now it means less.  What I have unlocked in your apprentice has been there for a long time, eating at him from within.  He is more at peace now that I suspect he's been since before the Purge.  Would you deny him that?"
     Before Rakham could answer, the fighting below reached a crescendo.

"This is your last warning, Addy!"  Tasrii shouted through her helmet's comm system as she batted the yellow blade away from her head.  "Stop this before I have to hurt you!"  Addy responded with a long series of strikes, attacking high, then low, then high again, attempting to overwhelm his opponent's defenses.  She lashed out with a kick, catching Addy in the groin.  He doubled over in pain and fell to his knees, but did not release or deactivate his saber.  Tasrii, out of breath, gasped out a single word.
     "Enough!"
     "You're right." He replied breathlessly, before reaching out with the Force and snatching Tasrii toward him, thrusting his blade into her chest as she stumbled forward.  Her eyes went wide under the helmet, and she cried out softly.

Unbeknownst to either of them, Rakham began beating on the window high above them and screaming obscenities, and Kadmaur looked on with disappointment.

Addy deactivated his lightsaber and stared at the floor, attempting to catch his breath.  Tasrii remained on her feet, swaying gently, before, with a primal snarl, she lurched forward and buried her saber to the hilt in Addy's chest, locking her off hand onto his shoulder for leverage and balance.  His head snapped up and his eyes locked onto the T-shaped visor of Tasrii's helmet.  A look of utter astonishment was etched permanently into his face as the light drained from his eyes.

Unlike Tasrii, he only had one heart.

She released his body, letting it slump to the floor, and took two steps towards the the tunnel she'd entered through before collapsing herself.

Rakham's green lightsaber flared to life.
     "I'm going to help her."
     "No need."  Kadmaur replied, and gestured towards her.  He had released Dala and Heditt, who were rushing to her side.  There was a cry of anguish in the Force as Heditt saw Addy's body, but he could sense that his apprentice was dead, and his attention remained on Tasrii.

"I can't just allow you to get away with this." Rakham said angrily, his green blade flaring to life as he turned to face his old Master.
     "I know."  The Old Man replied with a faint smile.  "That, too, is part of the test.  You've passed with flying colors so far, so let's see if you can finish it.  Let's see if you can carry my legacy."  He drew his saber.  The hilt was long, and topped by a flanged emitter that ran down into a grooved grip and long, smooth cylinder that ended in a knobbed pommel.  Kadmaur walked over to his desk, and after taking one last puff from his pipe, sat it down.  He activated his lightsaber as he did, a long, bright green blade flickering to life.
     He turned to face Rakham, as the younger Jedi's blood boiled.  "Let's get it over with."  With that, he used the Force to shove Rakham through the window behind him, the glass that had been so strong a few minutes earlier shattering into a million pieces. 
     Rakham used the Force to soften his landing, but he still hit the floor with a solid thud.  The other two Jedi stood as he did, activated their lightsabers.
     "Is she going to be alright?"  Rakham asked.
     "She's stable.  It takes a lot to kill a Zabrak."  Dala replied, but before the conversation could continue, Kadmaur leapt down though the window, saber in hand.

With a flick of the Old Man's wrist, the floor under the three Jedi bucked, but they held their balance.  As Kadmaur strode towards them, Rakham stepped forward to meet him, and their sabers screamed as they locked together.  As Dala and Heditt began to attempt to flank him, he nodded his head towards them, sending them flying through the air to land in a heap.
     "This is a personal matter."  He said, his voice still calm.  He effortlessly parried the next few strikes, and Rakham got the impression that Kadmaur was savoring the fight.  They continued, Rakham weaving, bobbing, and stumbling side to side, throwing his saber in wide arcs that shifted to different targets before landing.  Kadmaur responded with Form II, and displayed a frightening mastery.  The smell of burning hair filled Rakham's nostrils as one of Kadmaur's strikes came close enough to singe his beard, but suddenly, the Old Man stepped back, just out of reach, and resumed his stance, a smile across his wizened features.
     Rakham pressed the attack, but this time, Kadmaur was slow to respond, and Rakham's blade slashed his chest, wounding him mortally.  He fell to his knees, just as Adkai had before, and gasped, trying to speak.  Wary of the trick Addy had pulled earlier, Rakham moved forward, and knelt before his old master.  Sadness washed over him, and he leaned forward, to hear Kadmaur's words.

"You did... well."  He gasped hoarsely, and pressed his lightsaber into Rakham's hand.  "Use what you've learned.  Maintain balance.  I'm-"  He swallowed, struggling harder to speak.  "I'm sorry for what I had to do."
     "I'm sorry too, Master."  A tear rolled down Rakham's face as Kadmaur collapsed into his arms.  For a moment he held the old man's body, and then, without a whisper, his robes fell empty, and he was gone.

"You've got to quit spoiling me, Nadia!"  Tasrii said with a laugh.  She was lying in a bed over the cantina, her back propped up on a pile of pillows and her chest wrapped in bandages. 
     "You're in no position to make such decisions."  Nadia replied, setting down a rather pleasant smelling tray of food and pouring a glass of Corellian whiskey from a decanter.  "You need your rest, and I have decided to look after you.  Not like I have anything better to do, since Rakham made me stop selling drugs."
     There had been a lot going on in the three weeks since they'd returned from Kadmaur's fortress.  For one thing, Kadmaur's collection of holocrons and books had rivaled even the great Jedi Library, and Rakham had been poring over them, learning.  He'd decided to establish a new order of Jedi dedicated to protecting this knowledge, and to attempt to restore some semblance of balance to the galaxy.  Nadia and Anton had been recruited, as well as Dala and Tasrii.  He'd made Tasrii a full knight, for what that was worth.  Each of them wore a lightsaber focusing apparatus with a khyber crystal as a symbol of the shadowy new order, which Rakham called the Jedi Templars. 

Heditt had been missing since they returned to Nar Shadaa.  The loss of his apprentice had hurt him deeply, and no one was sure where or or when they would see him again.  Rakham said that he could still feel his presence among the stars, and he knew that eventually they would be reunited.

Rakham was standing on the balcony of their apartment over the tavern, looking out across the city.  Nadia had arranged an upgrade from the cramped two room apartment after they'd returned, and gotten a private set of rooms for Dala and Rakham.
     "How is Tas doing?"  Dala asked, walking up beside him.
     "She's recovering well.  Nadia is taking good care of her."  Rakham replied.
     "Those two are becoming quite fond of each other, I think." 
     "It certainly seems that way.  I'm happy for them both."  Rakham said with a smile.  They were quiet for a moment, enjoying the colors of the sky as the sun set, until Rakham spoke again.  "What do you think our next move should be?"   
     "I see plenty of work to be done right here on Nar Shadaa.  It would be nice to settle down for a while, and just be Jedi, wouldn't it?"  Dala replied.
     "Yes.  Yes it would."

BOOK ONE END

Who says red is only for the bad guys?

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2018, 12:53:30 PM »

This.

Is.

Outstanding!

Wonderful twist TDC! Did NOT see that coming!  Poor Addy... But the plotting of your narrative: awesome!  Kadmaur was more anti-villain despite being the antagonist (I suspect LSG in particular will like that; his stories are replete with such ambiguities, makes for incredible reading).  I have but one critique: it was the end!  Wink

I sincerely hope that you'll continue these enjoyable adventures  Smiley

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

TheDrunkenConsular
Knight Ensign

Light Side

« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2018, 02:14:52 PM »

This.

Is.

Outstanding!

Wonderful twist TDC! Did NOT see that coming!  Poor Addy... But the plotting of your narrative: awesome!  Kadmaur was more anti-villain despite being the antagonist (I suspect LSG in particular will like that; his stories are replete with such ambiguities, makes for incredible reading).  I have but one critique: it was the end!  Wink

I sincerely hope that you'll continue these enjoyable adventures  Smiley

Thank you very much!  The first chapter of book two will be out soon, in this thread.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2018, 04:02:55 PM »

That was a nice finish to Book One!  Impressive twists.  Honestly, I'm just a little sketchy on Kadmaur's motivations in all of this.  Though his testing of Rackam - sending him into the Dark Jedi in the first place, then looking the other way when he came out as he did - indicates that he's had unorthodox views for some time.  Sort of a Qui Gon Jin character, but with less self-sacrificing nobility.  :-)

Bad ending for Addy, that was sad to see, but the bit about the Zabrak's twin hearts (redundant circulatory system!  BONUS!) was a great touch.  Nicely written. 

I am looking forward to Book Two!

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2018, 06:28:37 PM »

Yes, a wonderful ending. I'm still not entirely convinced that we have seen the last of this "Old Man" aka Kadmaur, but I guess we will have to wait and see. Still, an intriguing and fun read. Can't wait for book two.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2018, 10:04:33 PM »

As the others have said good ending.  Kadmaur motivations and methods do still seem very...idiosyncratic to say the least, training Tasrii then summoning Addy to have them fight with the aim of testing Rackham...there is a kind of logic there that is all about Rackham essentially taking his role I think - but I suspect it is a role Kadmaur invented for himself (probably associated with his collection of artefacts and books) and has convinced himself is somehow more important than anything else....not so much evil as completely convinced of his own importance and methods in my opinion.  But yeah I love trying to work out ambiguous characters like that and I hope Rackham isn't finished trying to understand why it all happened like that.     

Have to admit from the first description of the old man I thought it would be Jorus C'Boath, till the pipe smoking gave it away.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2018, 02:04:41 AM »

Absolute GOLD!  The plot twists were perfect, and fit exactly as they should, looking  back from the conclusion.  I had suspected Addy of harboring a self destructive dark streak from the chapter with the purge, and you dropped references to it just enough to make it believable, but in the background.  As for Kadmaur, what a perfect antagonist!  The morals so skewed, the aims so relatable, it makes one question if they wouldn't be capable of doing so in service to their own beliefs.  I do wonder, if Kadmaur was the old man that all the Dark Jedi fell to from the stories, or if at some point he defeated that old man, inherited the collection of artifacts, books, holocrons, et al, and then crafted the self image and position of guardian from there...  I am looking forward to more, and I wonder if we will get some tales of Heditt as he does whatever it is he is doing in the wake of his loss.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

TheDrunkenConsular
Knight Ensign

Light Side

« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2018, 08:03:19 AM »

That was a nice finish to Book One!  Impressive twists.  Honestly, I'm just a little sketchy on Kadmaur's motivations in all of this.  Though his testing of Rackam - sending him into the Dark Jedi in the first place, then looking the other way when he came out as he did - indicates that he's had unorthodox views for some time.  Sort of a Qui Gon Jin character, but with less self-sacrificing nobility.  :-)

Bad ending for Addy, that was sad to see, but the bit about the Zabrak's twin hearts (redundant circulatory system!  BONUS!) was a great touch.  Nicely written. 

I am looking forward to Book Two!

We may(or may not) have seen the last of Kadmaur, but we certainly haven't heard the last of him.  There's still a lot to unpack there.  However, I think it's definitely safe to compare him to Qui-gon, perhaps with a bit more of an ego and bit less honor.  I truly appreciate the praise!

As the others have said good ending.  Kadmaur motivations and methods do still seem very...idiosyncratic to say the least, training Tasrii then summoning Addy to have them fight with the aim of testing Rackham...there is a kind of logic there that is all about Rackham essentially taking his role I think - but I suspect it is a role Kadmaur invented for himself (probably associated with his collection of artefacts and books) and has convinced himself is somehow more important than anything else....not so much evil as completely convinced of his own importance and methods in my opinion.  But yeah I love trying to work out ambiguous characters like that and I hope Rackham isn't finished trying to understand why it all happened like that.     

Have to admit from the first description of the old man I thought it would be Jorus C'Boath, till the pipe smoking gave it away.

There are definitely some similarities between Kadmaur and Jorus!  As I said, I'm planning to dig a quite a bit deeper into Kadmaur's psyche, but for now, I'll just say this; he's far older than I imagine most would have guessed, but throughout his entire life, he purposefully never made a name for himself and at the end of his life, his greatest fear was that there would be no one to carry his legacy.

Absolute GOLD!  The plot twists were perfect, and fit exactly as they should, looking  back from the conclusion.  I had suspected Addy of harboring a self destructive dark streak from the chapter with the purge, and you dropped references to it just enough to make it believable, but in the background.  As for Kadmaur, what a perfect antagonist!  The morals so skewed, the aims so relatable, it makes one question if they wouldn't be capable of doing so in service to their own beliefs.  I do wonder, if Kadmaur was the old man that all the Dark Jedi fell to from the stories, or if at some point he defeated that old man, inherited the collection of artifacts, books, holocrons, et al, and then crafted the self image and position of guardian from there...  I am looking forward to more, and I wonder if we will get some tales of Heditt as he does whatever it is he is doing in the wake of his loss.
Thank you!  I was really worried about giving it all away too quickly, but I think everything held together nicely!  Those answers about Kadmaur are incoming, and we'll definitely get a look at the trouble Heditt is getting himself into!

Again, thanks to everyone for the kind words, and the start of Book Two is incoming shortly!

TheDrunkenConsular
Knight Ensign

Light Side

« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2018, 09:29:54 PM »

Ladies and Gentlemen, the time has arrived.

BOOK TWO: KNOWLEDGE

CHAPTER 13: Templar Business

Years passed.  A Rebellion rose, and an Empire fell.  The Templars leveraged the knowledge of Kadmaur's Archive to great power, managing to slow the effects of time on their bodies, project their consciousnesses across great distance and do many other things that the Jedi Council probably would have balked at.  They also learned to manipulate the living stone fortress that the Archive was stored inside, and a warden was there always, usually accompanied by at least two researchers, toiling tirelessly over holocrons and books, transferring the information to datapads so that a backup could be established, for that was the goal of the Templars.  Their Order was sworn to prevent what had happened to the knowledge of the Jedi Order from happening again.  Of course, with the Empire currently falling to pieces and the Sith allegedly dead, perhaps for good this time, that was not as much of a risk as it had been ten years ago when the work began. 
     But, that was the deal.  When one became a Templar, they swore to protect the Archive and seek out new knowledge to add to it, and in return, all of the information in the Archive was available, to use as one saw fit.  The Templar numbers were, by design, never high.  There were four Masters; Dala and Rakham Crescentfall and Nadia and Anton Stark.  Light and Dark were represented equally in shades of grey on their council, because the dozen and a half or so active Knights came from all three creeds.  There was occasionally tension, but the Knights tended to work solo, and when they worked in teams they chose their partners, so it was rare for there to be any serious dispute over philosophy.  The Dark Jedi did not bring any wrongdoing into the cantina or the archives, the Light Jedi did not attempt to preach, and the Grey Jedi minded their own business. 
      Heditt had not been seen in ten years.  His presence could still be sensed by Rakham occasionally, but he'd made no attempt to contact anyone within the Templars.  Rakham supposed that after grief had driven him to isolation, he'd found contentedness somewhere.  None of his old comrades resented him for that, but they did still miss him from time to time. 
     Life went on.  Rakham, Dala and Tasrii lived on Nar Shadaa, but they weren't often there.  Usually they could be found at the Archive or running across the galaxy, searching for new additions to the Archive or simply following the flow of the Force to help those in need.  Right now, though, all three were at home, taking a much needed break from their adventures.

As midnight began to fade away on Nar Shadaa, Nadia gently ran her finger over the round scar on Tasrii's chest.  Her life as a pit fighter had left the Zabrak with many scars, but this was the one that had come closest to killing her.  Nadia snuggled closer to Tasrii, wrapping her arms around her tightly.  They led a dangerous life together, and the thought that someday, inevitably, something was going to take them from each other almost made Nadia sick.  Despite the love they felt for one another, they still had their fights, and they'd had a bad one earlier that night.  Nadia was certain that she'd started it, but it had been over something so trivial she could barely even remember what it was.  Sometimes, she was certain that there was something wrong with her, something broken inside that made her push away her loved ones without even knowing she was doing it.  It had been the same all her life, and she still blamed herself for Rakham, her best and only friend at the time, leaving Nar Shadaa when he was young.  She sighed discontentedly and closed her eyes, hoping and praying to finally pass into sleep and leave her stress behind.
     "I'm sorry."  She barely whispered, not wanting to wake Tasrii.
     "I forgive you."  Tas' voice was no louder, and she took the smaller woman into her arms, drawing her into the safety of a lover's embrace.

In a decrepit hangar near the spaceport, Rakham busied himself mixing a can of paint.  He hadn't been sleeping lately, and this was where he spent most of his nights.  In the hangar sat two Eta-2 starfighters, each of them expertly restored, retrofitted and customized by Rakham and Tasrii.  Rakham's was a flat, sky colored blue, Tasrii's deep burgundy.  They'd been equipped with upgraded turbolasers that could probably take down a cruiser if they really wanted to, and custom racing engines that outperformed any production model fighter on the market.  Right now, Rakham was adding the finishing touch to his paintjob; a bright yellow pinstripe along each wing, set back six inches from the edge.  As he reached the end, he backtracked, painting the ship's registration number over the stripe by the cockpit.  He stepped back and admired his handiwork with a smile.  He and Tasrii had found a shared passion when it came to working on old machines.  It was pleasantly distracting.  He moved on to her craft, trading his yellow paint for black, and repeated the process.  All that was left now was to finish installing the custom leather upholstery in the cockpits, but that would wait until they could finish the project together.  Tasrii had no skill with a paintbrush, and had practically begged Rakham to finish the exterior of her fighter.  In turn, Rakham had struggled for hours attempting to properly run his wiring harness, and Tas had finished it for him in fifteen minutes.  However it had happened though, the job was done, and done well.  Rakham turned, and jumped so badly he nearly fell on the floor.
     Walking towards him from the direction of the open door was an aging, dark skinned human man, with a shaved head, steely silver eyebrows and a piercing, serious stare.  He carried an ornate lightsaber, but wore no Templar pendant, and his right hand had been replaced by a prosthetic.
     "Sam!  You're gonna kill me sneaking up like that!"  Rakham exclaimed.
     "I found it."  Sam said, without further explanation, his voice low and rich.  Rakham's eyes widened.
     "Already?"
     "Right here."  Sam pulled a data disk from his pocket and handed it to Rakham, who took it gently, holding it as though it were some small fragile creature instead of a chunk of metal. 
     "How did you track it down so quickly?"  Rakham asked, never taking his eyes off of the treasure.
     "It's all about who you know."
     "Have you seen the contents?" 
     "Seen and copied.  It's all there, mostly."
     "Thank you, Sam.  Are you sure I can't pay you?"
     "That map ending up in the right hands will be payment enough.  Take care, Rakham."  With that, Sam turned and made to leave, but Rakham stopped him, holding out a Templar pendant.
     "It's yours if you'll have it."  He said.
     "I've had enough bad experiences with Jedi Orders to last my lifetime.  I'll be in touch."  With that, he marched back out into the night.  Rakham left not long after, rushing back to the cantina to find a terminal he could plug the data disk into.

A week passed, and the makeshift stone landing pad at the Archive was getting crowded as Templars from around the galaxy answered Rakham's emergency call.  There were fighters, shuttles and discreet freighters scattered haphazardly around the stone ledge, and various people could be found here and there, pilots, copilots, bodyguards and other associates of individual Templars who weren't allowed inside the Archive.
     Kadmaur's treasure hall had been converted into a library.  There were several long tables, each stacked with carefully organized books, holocrons, manuscripts and datapads, and scattered about the room were large, comfortable chairs.  Continuing through that room, one came to the dining hall, where much of the art from the treasure hall had been moved.  In this room there was a great round table, and on the rare occasions that the order met, it was here that they ate, debated, mourned or celebrated as the situation called for.  Two spiral staircases were present in the dining room, one leading to the lavish but barely used "barracks", which was more like a wing of luxury suites, and the new treasure room, while the other led to the vast archives that the place was significant for.  There were many other rooms, of course, including Kadmaur's old office and chambers, both of which now belonged to the Warden, and a vast network of passages and miscellaneous rooms. 
     Now, all members of the order who were present had gathered around the table in the dining room.  It was a motley group.  Not counting the four masters. there were five humans, a Hapan, two wookies, a Duros, two Twi'lek, a Miraluka and, of course, Tasrii.  The thing that set them apart most was their disparate equipment.  They showed flight suits, armor, long coats, robes and plain clothes in equal number.  Some concealed their lightsabers, others displayed them proudly.  Many carried various other weapons.  The only unifying thing was the pendant around each Templar's neck.  Rakham was the first to speak as the last Templar to arrive, one of the humans, finally sat.
     "I'm not gonna waste your time with pleasantries, friends, but let me say that I'm happy to see you all here and in good shape."  He said, pausing as a murmur of appreciative response passed through the small crowd.  "I also want to apologize for being so vague in my message, but what we have here must not fall into the wrong hands.  Sam came through for us."  He produced the silvery disk from a pocket, and put it into a holoprojector on the table in front of him.  A blue starmap blinkered to life over the table.  "If he was telling the truth, and the Masters believe he was, this is a map to every known Jedi Temple in the galaxy.  It was secreted away during the Purge so that it wouldn't fall into the hands of the Sith, and now it's resurfaced at last."
     A buzz of conversation erupted, and it took a moment for the Masters to quiet it down and answer questions.
     "Do you think we'll actually be able to find anything at the old temples?"  The Miraluka woman asked.
     "At many of them, no, I don't believe we will.  The old Jedi were smart to hide this; the Emperor hoarded or destroyed every scrap of Jedi knowledge he could find, and I'm sure that he found many temples.  If we're lucky, though, we could strike gold.  There are dozens of temples on this map, and hopefully time and the Empire showed mercy to a few of them." Rakham answered.
     "It looks like there's a sector missing from the map."  A human man pointed out.
     "There is.  I don't know if the disk got damaged, or if Sam removed it, but either way, he gave us this freely, so I won't complain."
     One of the Wookiees wailed a question. What is the plan?
     "I would like everyone who's willing to choose two or three locations from the map to investigate.  I would rather no one walked into this alone, so I'd like for you all to consider forming pairs or groups to work together with.  I won't insist upon it, but places as strong in the Force as these old temples are can be very dangerous.  I've already broken the starmap down into a list of coordinates and sent it to you all, so group up and choose however many you'd like to investigate.  If you find anything, bring it back here, and on the slim chance that any of these temples are inhabited, leave them alone and mark the coordinates.  Any questions?"
     "Just one," a human Dark Jedi spoke up.  "When can we leave?"

The more excitable Templars had all left within a few hours of the meeting, but many had remained at the Archive, planning to catch a good night's rest in a real bed and a meal that wasn't made from dehydrated powder while they had the chance.  After a day, there were three Templars living at the Archive, the Warden and two others.  Dala, and Rakham had stayed behind, but they planned on leaving soon, after checking on things around the Archive.

The two researchers, the Hapan and one of the Wookies from the meeting, were both highly pacifist Force Adepts, so they rarely took missions.  Their names were Edda Veek and Gra'porin.  The final permanent resident of the Archive was Berra Tarun, the Miraluka.  Currently, Rakham stood in her office, waiting on her to appear before he and Dala left.
     Memories flooded back as he looked out the window that he'd been flung through ten years before.  Pain tugged at his heart as Addy's death played out again in his mind's eye, and he could almost hear Kadmaur's voice beside him.  He was still attempting to unravel the mystery of Kadmaur's final test, but his journals were written in a language that none of the Templars or their protocol droids could understand.  A small part of him hoped that something would be found in the temples to shed light on the cryptic code. 
     With a slight creak, the door behind the desk opened, and Berra stepped into the office, taking a seat at her desk and drawing a bottle and two glasses from it. 
     "Well, what can I do for you, Master?"  Berra poured a measure of brown liquid into each glass.  Being a Miraluka, she was completely blind, her eye sockets empty, but all Miraluka could "see" using the Force.  Rakham often wondered if Berra didn't see more than he did himself.  She wore a simple brown blindfold, and plain robes.  Her hair was long, black and frizzy, and she had soft features and pale skin.  Many of the Templars, even the light ones, carried with them an air of hardship and roughness, the scars of a life lived on the run, but Berra was one of the few who did not.  There was always an aura of calm and grace surrounding her, and it was enough to put anyone at ease.  Rakham knew, however, that if anyone or anything threatened the Templars or the Archive, that calm could disappear in a moment, and the well-worn hilt of a saberstaff hanging from her belt was a warning of that. 
     "I just wanted to see how things are going around here, Berra."  Rakham replied to her question, taking a seat across from her at the desk, and accepting the glass she offered him. 
     "Well, if it's a progress report you're after, the news is nothing but good.  We're in the final stretch, and unless we find yet another secret library or treasure room, the transcription should be complete within six months.  However, there is something I'd like for you to see before I let Edda and Porin loose on it."  She said. 
     "Oh?"  Rakham replied, an interested look on his face.  It wasn't all that rare that something was uncovered within the Archive that was deemed of particular interest, but never had the researchers been held back from something they discovered.
     "Follow me."  She rose, and led Rakham on a winding path through the Archive.  Many of the hidden stone passages had been left open permanently, with wooden doors installed by the maintenance droids, but there were still quite a few left hidden behind solid stone.  Berra manipulated the living stone as easily as Kadmaur had, the walls opening as they approached it like hydraulic doors on a starship.  For fifteen minutes they walked in silence, until finally, one of the stone hallways ended in a relatively small room.

This room was different from the others.  A few shafts of natural white light peeked in from cracks in the ceiling, but it was still dim.  At one end, a raised dais held a glass armor case and several pedestals.  Berra waited by the door as Rakham approached it.  The air here was electric with power.  As he approached the armor case, he began to make out details within it, through the thick layer of dust.  He conjured a gentle gust of wind using the Force, blowing away the dust. 
     A set of black robes hung inside the case.  Under the hood, a dark steel mask, with a black visor and crimson highlights.  The mask showed the damage and age of millennia.  At the belt hung two lightsabers, equally as old as the mask.
    "Berra, what is this?"
    "You don't recognize it?"
    "It's not possible."

Before either of them could continue, intruder alarms began to blare distantly.  Neither of them hesitated, each taking off at a sprint, flying down the corridors that had brought them to the room, sabers in hand.  Berra took a shortcut, and instead of her office, they came out in the great hall.  Porin the Wookie stood roaring at a lone intruder, his green lightsaber in hand and activated.  The intruder stood with arms spread out, attempting to comply with the Wookie, but entirely incapable of understanding his speech.
     The intruder was ragged, to say the least.  His brown robes were dusty, his hair and beard were wild and unkempt, and streaked with grey.  His left eye had been replaced with a cybernetic, and scars crisscrossed his face.  His left hand was missing several fingers, and right had been replaced by a cybernetic.  Around his waist, various gadgets hung from his belt, including a roughly constructed lightsaber.

Berra activated her lightsaber, blue blades flaring to life from each end of the hilt, and began to speak, but before she could, Rakham strode forward, and wrapped the man in a bear hug, lifting him off his feet.

"Heditt, you look like Bantha druk!"

CHAPTER END

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2018, 11:37:54 PM »

Interesting self appointed archivists, nominally a worthy goal but also a dangerous one and could attract the wrong kind of attention.  Good set up chapter overall.

Hmm. " dark steel mask, with a black visor and crimson highlights" with two lighsabres...As totally wrong as I was thinking Kadamur was C'Boath...maybe this one starts in an R ends in an N?

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

TheDrunkenConsular
Knight Ensign

Light Side

« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2018, 11:52:26 PM »

Interesting self appointed archivists, nominally a worthy goal but also a dangerous one and could attract the wrong kind of attention.  Good set up chapter overall.

Hmm. " dark steel mask, with a black visor and crimson highlights" with two lighsabres...As totally wrong as I was thinking Kadamur was C'Boath...maybe this one starts in an R ends in an N?

Maybe it does Wink

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2018, 12:17:35 AM »

Oh such a delicious renewal of this tale.  Great job!

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2018, 01:40:00 AM »

Alright!  The boys are back!

I like how the Templars have taken the responsibility of finding and cataloguing Force artifacts.  Guaranteed to run into problems I'm sure  Wink

This setting has so much potential!  Can't wait to see where/how Hedditt's been (up to)  Smiley

Yeah, that's what I was thinking... We shall see  Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: