Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Trouble choosing one form of lightsaber combat  (Read 4841 times)
TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 06:37:51 PM »

This is the same reason that we still practice the most basic moves in our dojo - front and back punches.  In multiple years as a martial artist I've rarely employed anything beyond basic moves in a sparring match because they tend to open ME up more than my opponent.  I'm a big guy.  I don't need to do some kind of flying-jump-hammer-of-death-twisting-sythe kick to win.  A simple, straight front snap kick will do nicely.  :-)

My experience with the Forms is far more limited, but from my experience thus far someone employing Shi Cho with precision, power and clarity should be able to win against a Juyo or Niman user who is not as well grounded in those same basics.  That being said, learn those basics and keep them fresh.  My view of Niman and Juyo is that they are both "free" forms - using the bits and pieces the combatant has picked up from the other forms and melding them into a form all his own, allowing him or her to be highly adaptive and less predictable.

Which is why, when I DO that crazy spin kick, my opponent isn't ready for it.  :-)  That's MY goal with the forms: basics, basics, basics, BOOM. 

But first I have to learn those basics.  so ... Shii Cho.
Well said, Karm  Smiley

Reminds me of a Bruce Lee quote: "I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times."

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 06:49:01 PM »

Well said, Karm  Smiley

Reminds me of a Bruce Lee quote: "I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times."

My Sensei says this ALL THE TIME!  *blink*  *blink*  He loves to quote Bruce Lee. 

"Be like water..."  LOL

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

wandering-seeker
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -14

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2018, 12:16:17 AM »

Well said, Karm  Smiley

My Xi-fu had a version of that saying. "Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfection." A man who lived by the smallest details.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2018, 04:13:02 AM »

Don't enter a drag race your first day learning stick shift....

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: