Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Help, unstoppable hum and Lightsaber stopped working after 2 days  (Read 5546 times)
Aussmo
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: December 28, 2017, 06:49:21 PM »

I've posted this in technical and no one's gotten back to me, I'd like to know if I should expect Ultra Sabers to repair this.
So my Christmas present was Silver mantis lighsaber with an a Obsidian soundboard. I dropped it while doing some forms and the soundboard reset and stated making the obsidian clash and saying Obsidian. From there the saber refused to stay on, and would reset after a few seconds, and then it started to make a load hum, or buzz since there seems to be no way to turn it off it continuing to make the buzzing sound. I was so excited to get this for Christmas, was looking into Ludo sport. If anyone knows how to reset it please respond asap. I expect the company to repair it since it $300 dueling quality saber that broke after having it for 2 days, I've had Walmart sabers last years under far more abuse so I'm astounded that this has happened. I've emailed the company and an hoping to hear something soon, and that'll repair whatever went wrong.

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 07:47:49 PM »

Have you checked if the batteries are sitting tight? Maybe one has been slightly dislocated, making bad contact and forcing these issues. This can also happen when the battery pack is damaged and not holding the batteries correctly. Yes, it is dueling quality, but even the best item can be damaged in certain circumstances and has not always something to do with poor quality. Or it was just a badly manufactured part - which also is not unusual, taking into account the vast amount of parts and items that are made for Ultrasabers. Or any other company. That's always the flaw of mass production...

Anyway, contact US (info@ultrasabers.com) and tell them. They're excellent in customer service, but with all the holidays and orders coming in, you may have to wait a few days for a response.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 09:31:39 PM »

Yeah I would charge the batteries if they are rechargeable ones, or put on fresh batteries. Make sure they are in good and see if that helps.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Aussmo
Force Sensitive

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 09:37:55 PM »

Thanks for getting back to me, the batteries aren't rechargeable, and the whole thing is warped in electoral tape so I can't even get them out. After I closed it up the wires got so tangled that I can't even open it again, and I don't wanna force it and risk breaking anything. Also the steel was so sharp that the edges ripped up my hand when I was using it, gotta say I wish they had rounded their corners when they milled the steel. At this point its now having a conniption fit anytime I touch the hilt. I don't know what happened to this thing but something went very wrong in a very short time.

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 09:46:30 PM »

You're going to have to remove the tape and change the batteries. The first few times I took out the battery packs on all my sabers they were tough to get out at first, but it got easier fairly quickly. That is probably why your saber doesn't work anymore; the batteries are dead.

As for the humming, you may just need new batteries, or you may have broken something when you dropped it, but it may be covered under warranty. Contact US.

I can see where the Mantis might cause some issues with hand placement. Where is the problem? Up on the emitter? Down a little farther on the neck where the chevrons are? Or is it near the base where there is a shroud? Hand placement might be what you need to change.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Aussmo
Force Sensitive

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 01:41:22 AM »

Its not a battery issue, its been running for two days now in my basement, and like I said I can't take it apart because the wires are all tangled and I don't wanna break something and void the warranty. I've emailed the info@ultrasabers.com and I haven't heard anything. I think the sound card broke in the fall, because like I said I can't turn it off due to the inigition button no longer doing anything other than changed the tone of the Hum. I'm hesitant to take it apart because I don't wanna void the warranty and have wasted $300.

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 02:00:43 AM »

Two days is about what you can expect from the batteries in these things, and I doubt removing the battery pack and something coming loose would void the warranty. All you're doing is removing the battery pack. But if you don't want to listen to those of is who own several, that's your choice.

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 04:44:58 AM »

You are saying the saber has ran yeti days straight on a set of batteries? You have the longest running saber on one set of batteries ever!

Snipah
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -21

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 07:30:17 AM »

Post a picture, that could help others to potentially spot an issue. Preferably with battery case partially removed.
A hard reset in my books is removing power ie the batts

Armoury:
Dark Initiate v4 - Tri Blazing Red
Emperor's Hand - Violet Amethyst

Force FX - Luke Skywalker
Force FX - Darth Vader

Aussmo
Force Sensitive

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 08:38:55 PM »

Two days is about what you can expect from the batteries in these things, and I doubt removing the battery pack and something coming loose would void the warranty. All you're doing is removing the battery pack. But if you don't want to listen to those of is who own several, that's your choice.

Why are you attacking me, I'm giving what I know from the events that have played out, if your going to attack me DON'T comment on my post. This is to find a resolution not attacks. The saber is still humming, after 3 days of constant running. The wiring inside is tangled and twisted so I can't take the hilt apart without causing more damage. I doubt this is an issue with the battery due to the fact that the sound board stated to reset  after it fell. I believe that the soundboard and wiring component were loose and when it fell the board was damaged. I don't know how long the saber will run for but it still is, it couldn't be making the hum without it. I'm not going to try and take it apart because the site stays it doesn't really cover this to begin with, but I feel that this was a production issue more than anything else. I'm still waiting on a response email from the company, I understand its the holidays though so I'm hoping to hear something by next week.

After retrying to take the hilt apart the wires by the grace of god were moved down and I could actually untangle them. https://photos.app.goo.gl/vIzc0oBuriNOmX2v1 Here is a link to the images I took, and a video with the Hum.

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 09:02:10 PM »

Well, I can't see anything on the photos that might cause that issue. This would really be something Emory and his staff should investigate. You say the saber doesn't turn off anymore? That could indicate either a wiring issue or a switch issue and not a sound board problem. But that's just my guess...

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 09:15:46 PM »

Sounds like you need to send it in to get fixed. By the way I don't think anybody was attacking you at all. We are just trying to help.

Lord Sidious
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -644

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2017, 09:31:54 PM »

(1) Change the battery. If it is all wrapped out, then email US for advice to prevent voiding the warranty.
(2) Follow US's advice and if a repair is needed, then US will honor the warranty. The after sales service is excellent.

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 10:57:23 PM »

I'm sorry if it came off as attacking you. That was not my intent. I was simply trying to inform you that several people who have been here for years, who have collectively owned dozens of sabers, who have had issues, and who have helped others with their issues are telling you to change the batteries. And you dismissed that ("Its not a battery issue..."), even though you haven't done it, at least not from what I can tell ("I can't take it apart...").

Now, if you can't get the battery pack out, that's another issue. Again, though, a lot of people claim the pack is stuck only to later tell us it just needed some smacks on the hilt to get it to drop out. That is why I told you to keep working on getting the pack out of the hilt.

Why are we telling you to change the batteries? Because that's what US will tell you to do first. Because changing the batteries solves about 99% of the electronic/power issues brought to this forum. And because I once had my saber power up the sound but not the light. I spent a few days trying to figure it out, and I even asked around here for some advice. I finally decided to switch the batteries for some fresh ones, and wouldn't you know it, it was working again. When I updated everyone here, they got a laugh and said they figured I had already done that, so they didn't think of it either.

Is it possible it's a switch, board, or light issue? Absolutely. I've had those myself, but until we rule out the batteries, we won't know. Batteries are the easiest and cheapest solution. Always start there. Trust us. And don't worry about the tape around the batteries, it just holds the batteries in, and carefully removing it should not do any damage. It's designed to be like that.

Again, I'm sorry if my tone missed the mark with my previous post. I am trying to help you.

-----

Now that you have gotten the pack out, have you tried unwrapping the tape and putting in fresh batteries? What was the result? Did it light up? Is there now sound, or is it still just a hum? And be careful putting the pack back in to not tangle the wires too bad.  Wink

Snipah
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -21

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2017, 12:28:19 AM »

Thank you also for taking the time to post the pics. These are just my observations right or wrong.

When you look down into the hilt does it look like any wires could be touching on or around the switch contacts? causing a short? As the wires can move about as you mention and get tangled it would be prudent to ensure they are insulated well.

I also noticed what looks like soldering grounding on the inside of the hilt. I say "looks" as I cant tell from down here in the south pacific without the hubble telescope to help.

Sorry I cant be of more help.

Armoury:
Dark Initiate v4 - Tri Blazing Red
Emperor's Hand - Violet Amethyst

Force FX - Luke Skywalker
Force FX - Darth Vader

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: