Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: RANKING 2017 COMIC BOOK MOVIES  (Read 1511 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« on: January 01, 2018, 01:46:16 PM »

PLEASE NOTE - This is just my personal list and my personal opinion. My intention is not to attack any movie, so if a movie you love appears low on the list, please do not take it personally. All movies are subjective; there is no right or wrong answer. This is just my opinion, regardless of the themes displayed and deeper story telling on display by the film mamkers.

2017 is officially over, so it's the perfect time to look back and rank the comic book movies that came out last year.

1- Logan – Not just the best comic book movie of the year, but arguably the best movie of the year. Great performances from all involved, with the main three being particular stand-outs. Gritty and violent, while still being recognisable enough as “our world” but different enough to believably be in a dystopian comic book future. All the feels at the end and Jackman finally got to play the Wolverine character the way he’s always wanted to. It is epic in scope and in my opinion a much better film than The Dark Knight (which is an amazing movie in it's own right).

2- Wonder Woman - Without a doubt (in my opinion) the best DCEU movie to date. It was also an important movie that had a lot of pressure to succeed (female led etc etc) and delivered in spades. It’s much more than simply a Captain America: The First Avenger clone. It was fun, funny, had some great action set-pieces, stunning visuals, quippy dialogue and some scenes that were genuinely touching and affecting. Patty jenkins has made THE defining DC movie AND the definiing female led comic book movie.

3- Thor: Ragnarok – Probably the most fun to be had with any comic book movie this year. It’s wonderfully weird (thanks Jeff  Goldblum) with some great action and music. Perfectly captured the funnier side to the Thor character and pairing him with the Hulk was a stroke of genius.

4- Spiderman: Homecoming – Spidey finally comes home to the MCU. And has a great cinematic villain who was genuinely threatening. A few minor quibbles about the suit being over Stark-ified, but it’s genuinely funny, has great action and really captured the essence of the early years of the wall crawler.

5- Kingsman: The Golden Circle – As with GOTG2, this gave us more of the same from the original but changed things up just enough to be recognisable but different. As long as you can acknowledge the Bond-esque elements that they are combining with the OTT comic book style, then you will thoroughly enjoy this unique film. And the style factor of the clothes is once again through the roof.

6- Atomic Blonde – Incorrectly marketed as a female Jason Bourne movie, it has slightly more in common with Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, but with an ass-kicking female lead. Heavy on 80s nostalgia (it was set in the 80s after all), with a very intricate plot, it is extremely rewatchable.

7- Guardians of the Galaxy 2
– More of the same (as sequels tend to do) but this time with the volume turned up to 11. And more jokes. Ultimately just as fun and funny as Vol 1, but was trying a little too hard in places to be funny rather than letting the comedy flow naturally. However, Baby Groot is a adorabubble and it has goddamn Kurt Russell in it!! (he’s always a win).

8- Lego Batman
– Having not seen The Lego Movie, I took this on it’s own merit. Very clever in places, not all of the jokes landed and at times it wasn’t as clever as it thought it was. Still a lot of fun to be had in it though.

9- Justice League – Almost as enjoyable as Wonder Woman, a hell of a lot better than all the other DCEU movies to date (except WW) but containing some dodgy CGI and had too much course correction to do from BvS to ultimately be a thoroughly satisfying film.

10- Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets – Based on an obscure and little known French comic, this film is visually stunning (seriously, it has some of the best visuals ever out on screen). However, the story and some of the dialogue are really bad, And the two lead actors were terribly miscast, especially Dane Dehaan).

DarthScrub
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -580

Fin Fus Fent Stin Zu'u

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 03:41:24 PM »

Good morning, Knox! I haven't seen WW yet, but MoS is my favorite DCEU movie to date. Was a fresh and realistic take on an otherwise boring character. As for the ranking of your list, I have not seen about half of these films yet, regrettably, but your ranking seems accurate to how I'd place the films I have seen.

Want a custom avatar? Shoot me a PM, you can view my work here!

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 04:31:45 PM »

I have not seen Kingsman, Atomic Blonde or Valerian.

But my list is close to yours.

1. Logan
2. Wonder Woman
3. Spider-Man: Homecoming
4. Thor: Ragnarok
5. Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2
6. Justice League
7. Lego Batman

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 05:28:17 PM »

Good morning, Knox! I haven't seen WW yet, but MoS is my favorite DCEU movie to date. Was a fresh and realistic take on an otherwise boring character. As for the ranking of your list, I have not seen about half of these films yet, regrettably, but your ranking seems accurate to how I'd place the films I have seen.
A very good evening to you Scrub (it's 5.15pm over here).

I understand your thoughts on MoS. The reason I say WW is better and a more important movie is for a few reasons; before it's release when you look at all the female led comic book movie releases, it is almost painful (Supergirl (1984), Elektra, Tank Girl, Barb Wire, Catwoman). Studios have tried to use that as proof for years that female led comic book movies just couldn't work/audiences didn't want them, despite 50% of the audience being female.

Also, when you look at how many male led comic book movies had been green lit during that same period (with many of them being equally as dire) the imbalance and sexism was quite clear. So Wonder Woman had to be as critically successful movie, an audience accepted comic book movie, prove that DC could make good movies (I know opinions vary on their releases so far, but it's fair to say that with the exception of WW, the reception has divise at best), show that DC can make a cohesive cinematic universe, do well at the box office and prove that female led comic book movies (and movies in general) could be viable and successful. That's a tall order. And Wonder Woman managed to pull it off.

I don't hate MoS, but I don't love it either. I acknowledge they tried something different with the character, which I had no problem with. It's just the execution (IMO) could have been better.

If you like how Wonder Woman was portrayed in BvS and in Justice League, then you will love her standalone movie.

I have not seen Kingsman, Atomic Blonde or Valerian.

If you like the first Kingsman then I think you'll enjoy the sequel (no anal sex joke in this one though). I think time will tell on Valerian as to whether it will become a cult classic like The Fifth Element (same director incidentally) or just a forgotten movie. As for Atomic Blonde, definitely give it a watch if you like the 80s, strong women kicking ass and spy espionage style films.

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 07:28:00 PM »

I think Valerian makes Besson's end as a film maker ... You may think it is obscur and you are right but here, the comic was sold 10 000 000 times (66 000 000 people un the country  Grin ) I think it is one of the most famous comic here and we are more than disappointed Wink

And i agree with your ranking ... mainly ... In fact, i did not see Atomic Blonde Wink

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 07:28:43 PM »

I would honestly rate Wonder Woman, GotG2, and Thor3 above Logan.

I'm definitely in the minority here, but I didn't think it lived up to all the hype surrounding it.

Don't get me wrong, it was a good movie, but it wasn't as good as everyone was making it out to be.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

DarthScrub
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -580

Fin Fus Fent Stin Zu'u

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 07:52:24 PM »

A very good evening to you Scrub (it's 5.15pm over here).

I understand your thoughts on MoS. The reason I say WW is better and a more important movie is for a few reasons; before it's release when you look at all the female led comic book movie releases, it is almost painful (Supergirl (1984), Elektra, Tank Girl, Barb Wire, Catwoman). Studios have tried to use that as proof for years that female led comic book movies just couldn't work/audiences didn't want them, despite 50% of the audience being female.

Also, when you look at how many male led comic book movies had been green lit during that same period (with many of them being equally as dire) the imbalance and sexism was quite clear. So Wonder Woman had to be as critically successful movie, an audience accepted comic book movie, prove that DC could make good movies (I know opinions vary on their releases so far, but it's fair to say that with the exception of WW, the reception has divise at best), show that DC can make a cohesive cinematic universe, do well at the box office and prove that female led comic book movies (and movies in general) could be viable and successful. That's a tall order. And Wonder Woman managed to pull it off.

I don't hate MoS, but I don't love it either. I acknowledge they tried something different with the character, which I had no problem with. It's just the execution (IMO) could have been better.

If you like how Wonder Woman was portrayed in BvS and in Justice League, then you will love her standalone movie.

Completely understandable! It's definitely on my to watch list, just haven't had the time this year to go to the theater QQ I just recently watched Kingsmen 2 and it didn't disappoint! However, I'd say I enjoyed the first more, just because of how different it was

Want a custom avatar? Shoot me a PM, you can view my work here!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 08:21:47 PM »

I was going to give my ranking. But then I realized I had only seen a few of the comic related films this year.  I'll rank what I've seen.

1.Thor: Ragnarok
2.Guardians of the Galaxy 2
3.Logan
4.Wonder Woman

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 08:29:42 PM »

I was going to give my ranking. But then I realized I had only seen a few of the comic related films this year.  I'll rank what I've seen.

1.Thor: Ragnarok
2.Guardians of the Galaxy 2
3.Logan
4.Wonder Woman

GOTG2 over Logan? Interesting.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 09:02:17 PM »

GOTG2 over Logan? Interesting.

For clarification, none of these are really that far from each other in terms of my enjoyment.  I am ranking based on how willing I am to rewatch it currently.  Logan is an amazing film and along with deadpool, really pushed the idea of what a Superhero film could be.  BUT, Logan will leave me a blubbering mess at the end and 2017 was a year I really needed to laugh more.  2018 looks like it's shaping up the same way.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 09:13:53 PM »

For clarification, none of these are really that far from each other in terms of my enjoyment.  I am ranking based on how willing I am to rewatch it currently.  Logan is an amazing film and along with deadpool, really pushed the idea of what a Superhero film could be.  BUT, Logan will leave me a blubbering mess at the end and 2017 was a year I really needed to laugh more.  2018 looks like it's shaping up the same way.
Fair enough. I agree that Logan will give you all the feels and all the emotions, especially at the end (have you seen the Noir version? Totally awesomesauce).

I know it's not a comic book movie, but if you want a feel good movie that you will laugh at a lot, then definitely check out Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle. Hilarious (especially if you get all the gamer references sprinkled throughout).

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 09:23:42 PM »

Fair enough. I agree that Logan will give you all the feels and all the emotions, especially at the end (have you seen the Noir version? Totally awesomesauce).

I know it's not a comic book movie, but if you want a feel good movie that you will laugh at a lot, then definitely check out Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle. Hilarious (especially if you get all the gamer references sprinkled throughout).

I do want to see that.  But I have to be selective on theater selections...going to see a movie is expensive now a days.  Next film I see will be Black Panther...then probably wont go to another film till Infinity War....but I do want to see the Death Wish remake. 

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 11:15:37 PM »

Without having watched all of these (nor do I care if I do. Logan and Valerian I might sometime), a pretty good list. Mine would be probably something like this:

1. Wonder Woman
2. Spider-Man: Homecoming
3. Justice League
4. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

I haven't watched Thor yet, but I plan to, and maybe LEGO Batman.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: