Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Diamond controller dueling issue: board resets/glitches with strong impacts  (Read 2482 times)
EvilOttoJr
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -21

« on: January 02, 2018, 04:08:07 PM »

I've noticed a bit of an issue when sparring with my Diamond saber. With moderately strong impacts (well within the range of what's considered normal dueling), my saber will do one of two things:

1. the board resets completely; it plays the tag of the font I was on in full (can't press switch to activate until tag effect finishes). Saber can then be turned on and works as normal.

2. Sound cuts out completely but light effect continues; animations play slowly; saber has to be turned off. Power off light effect doesn't play, it just turns off.  Saber can then be turned back on and works as normal.

Now, Ultrasabers are marketed as being the most duelable sabers on the market, so it surprises me that their premier board would have such a problem. Has anyone else experienced this while dueling? It happens pretty frequently, and I am not considered a "heavy" fighter; I try to keep impacts reasonable. I'm really, really hoping it's not something I'm going to have to get warrantied.

Note: I do not have in-hilt recharge, just the standard li-ion setup; if something went wrong and the batteries explode, it'd rather it destroy a $10 charger than a $500 lightsaber.
Hypothesis: strong enough impacts may be enough to momentarily disconnect the battery, triggering the issues. If I'm right, warranty wouldn't help; that'd be a design issue with the standard setup.

Current collection:
Emperor's Hand (Diamond, White AV Switch)
Dark Initiate V4 (Arctic Blue) (Mystery Box @RTX)
Dark Apprentice V4 (Silver) (Mystery Box Online)
And some OLD Ultrasabers!
Elder (Orange) (Copper Tube)
Tempest (Red) (PVC curved double-blade, complete hilt rebuild)
Archon V1 (Green) (PVC, hilt needs rebuilt)
Nemesis (Blue) (hilt rebuilt as sink tube)

Wishlist: Prophecy (Diamond), Quick Detach Coupler

Obi Wan
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 5

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 09:46:11 PM »

I noticed the same exact issue almost a year ago when I got my first Diamond board ( I now have 4 Diamond sabers)

At first I was very concerned and perplexed about this.
First I tried wrapping the battery holder with electrical tape to secure the batteries in position and this did seem to reduce the frequency of the issue, however it did not eliminate the problem.

Next, I discovered that if I wrapped electrical tape over the micro-usb connector (in addition to the rest of the battery holder) the problem was fully eliminated and has not occurred since.

I believe that the micro-usb connector coming into electrical contact (metal to metal) with the inside of the hilt was (at least partially) responsible for triggering the glitch.

I believe that when a clash effect is triggered simultaneously with the usb connector briefly coming into contact with the inside of the hilt, the glitch can be triggered.

Anyway, try my electrical tape wrapping suggestion. I bet it will eliminate your problem even though it makes it a pain in the butt to remove the batteries but I have recharge ports so I don't need to remove the batteries much at all.

"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine"
   -The Force will be with you, alwaysl-

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 01:00:10 AM »

I use Reusable Fastening Cable Ties, Microfiber Cloth 6-Inch Hook and Loop Cord that my company uses at work for bundling cables, I use em for insulating the batteries in lightsaber hilts. They're inexpensive and reuseable. I haven't had the problem you describe, but I have had what I thought was a battery come loose and the card reset, so it could be the same thing, which is why I use these cable ties.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: