Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: The Mak'Tor - background information...  (Read 12926 times)
Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 10:55:15 PM »

So, that's my current "Writing Bible" for the Mak'Tor.  The current date is circa 5 ABY going into 6 ABY.

Please, if you want to cross-over and use a character or characters, just IM me and keep me in the loop on what you're doing.  As Dutchman and LSG and Taegin will tell you I don't mind if you play with the Mak'Tor, just let me keep control of them.  I will pay you the same courtesy.

Thanks everyone!  I hope you enjoy and that this helps!

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 12:20:59 PM »

Wow Karm...

This is OUTSTANDING!  I really enjoy reading about the Mak'Tor in this kind of detail!  Truly, this is a labour of love and it shows: SO much wonderful backstory, character bios, the organizational table of equipment... Maybe I should have you do that for the Vhal-Dan Gray Jedi  Grin

Is it bad that I want to read more  Wink

Great job my friend!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 11:41:13 PM »

Thanks Dutchman.  As LSG pointed out, there are still a LOT of holes, many of them intentional and others because I just don't know the SW canon as well as I'd like.  For example, I stumbled across the Ruusan Reformation totally by accident.  I think it was a RetCon in part to explain why the Jedi in Knight of the Old Republic had such cool armor and stuff, but that was all gone in the SW movies.  So they "explained" it.

Kind of like what they did with Rogue One and the "flaw" in the first Death Star.  :-)

There will probably be more.  I imagine I'll have to update the character list, for example.  But for now, the bones are there so we can all dance around them in step. 

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2018, 09:04:24 AM »

Just Awesome, so much detail...I guess everyone creates their own little world for their characters but this is really deep, I'll be sure to try and integrate some of their past heroes as much as possible! 

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2018, 03:29:26 PM »

Just Awesome, so much detail...I guess everyone creates their own little world for their characters but this is really deep, I'll be sure to try and integrate some of their past heroes as much as possible! 
*bows*  Thank you, LSG.  :-)  Some of this was driven by you when you first suggested Odjina.  It turned my thoughts in directions I hadn't anticipated at first.  So my thanks to you for that spark!  :-)

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2018, 09:25:02 AM »

*bows*  Thank you, LSG.  :-)  Some of this was driven by you when you first suggested Odjina.  It turned my thoughts in directions I hadn't anticipated at first.  So my thanks to you for that spark!  :-)

My pleasure, that is the benefit of collaboration, new ideas and directions you could never imagine on your own!

"We are the spark that will light the fire that will bring the Mak'Tor to Life!!"

Lord_S_Gray

Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2018, 05:22:51 PM »

So some things I saw that I am more curious about (unless I somehow missed where they were explained);

Songsteel:  I am guessing it's a lightsaber resistant metal, like Beskar?

The various rank(?) titles, such as Maenowan, Koawan,and the like.

Also, the title "Kage"  what language base did you use or derive this from?  And do you pronounce it "cage", "ka-je" (as in the Japanese), or another way?

Amazing job building an organization with a great in depth story, background, motivations, and structure!

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2018, 05:45:06 PM »

So some things I saw that I am more curious about (unless I somehow missed where they were explained);

Songsteel:  I am guessing it's a lightsaber resistant metal, like Beskar?

The various rank(?) titles, such as Maenowan, Koawan,and the like.

Also, the title "Kage"  what language base did you use or derive this from?  And do you pronounce it "cage", "ka-je" (as in the Japanese), or another way?

Amazing job building an organization with a great in depth story, background, motivations, and structure!

Songsteel is in fact a lightsaber resistant material.  I actually happened across it on Wookipedia and considering the 'song' motif I build my stories around I couldn't resist using it.  :-) 
The ranks are Gray Jedi ranks.  The Mak'Tor were originally a sub-set of the Jedi order, though they pre-date even the Jedi, coming originally from a religious group that existed on Coruscant and tended shrines on the Spire before there were more than a handful of local shrines there.  When the Jedi built their first shrine, the Mak'Tor adopted it as part of their mission.  Over time they were incorporated into the Jedi Order.

Then under Grand Master Kimar they were expelled, about 600 BBY, for "heresy" and migrated to a planet called M'Tzigon.  After that expulsion they adopted the Gray Jedi ranks when they replaced the Jedi's structure for their Knights with their own new one.  At that time they incorporated the unique religious features officially into their founding documents and by-laws that had caused their expulsion.  And in the process of hiding themselves from the Jedi after the Vyth massacre they effectively insulated themselves from order 66 as well.

As for Kage...  I favor the japanese pronounciation of 'ka-je".  :-)

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2018, 08:34:05 PM »

M'Tzigon Planetary Information

M'Tzigon is an "alpine" world, with towering mountain ranges and deep oceans.  There are several extremely fertile valleys with extensive farmlands, but the growing seasons tend to be short and extreme.  Most of the population live in the mountain regions, where despite high snowfalls during the winter months the overall climate is actually more moderate and comfortable for most humanoid species.

Two primary mountain ranges dominate the main planet.  The original colony, founded around 2500 BBY, is centered around the capital of Sierra in the M'H'Ron Range.  There are numerous sub-ranges that make up the M'H'Rons, but the main spine of this range dominates the planet.  It is known for the vibrant and varied colors of the granite that make up the mountains.  The tallest peak in this range, Mount Arvon, overlooks Sierra and guards the entrance to the Arvon Vale, the primary agricultural and industrial area on the planet and where over half of the planetary population live, scattered in towns up and down the valley along the M'Ar'Quette river.

The tallest mountains, however, are in the M'Skigon range.  This area was primarily wilderness until the Mak'Tor arrived from Coruscant.  Today the primary peaks of the M'Skigon range are occupied by Mak'Tor facilities, and the Grays occupy several high-mountain valleys in scattered, small villages.

There is also a sizable "belter" population in the M'Tzigon system.  These people live and work in space, either on the orbital platforms that ring the planet or in the industrial centers that are built in the inner and outer asteroid belts.  

M'Tzigon has a 25.3 standard hour day and the orbital period is almost exactly two standard years. However, M'Tzigon also has a pronounced orbital "wobble" which results in the planet presenting two sets of seasons per orbital period. Hence seasons are just as long on M'Tzigon as on Coruscant, but happen twice per year.

The Year is divided into twenty-six months, labelled by numeral.  Each Month has 4 weeks of seven days.   The two remaining days are added to the last week of month 13 and month 26 and are called "Comp" days and are considered holidays.

An example of how a date would be logged:  IX-III-IV:1248.  This would be the 9th month, third week, fourth day of Year 1248 from Founding, or approximately September 25,  5 ABY

** For syncronization: Year 1248 FF (from Founding) is 5-6 ABY **
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 05:38:52 PM by Karmack » Logged

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2018, 02:52:56 AM »

Wow its own dating system...a lot of thought into this!

Lord_S_Gray

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2018, 05:32:10 PM »

Well, every planet rotates and orbits on its own unique pathway, so...  :-)

I was working on something for the Jokers and needed a date, and that started me thinking.  And that, as we all know, is never a good thing...  :-)

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2018, 10:27:31 PM »

Thinking is dangerous, it changes worlds!

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2018, 06:53:11 PM »

M'Tzigon Political Structure (Planetary)

The political structure on M'Tzigon is geared primarily toward local control.  When the colony was originally founded the colonists codified their views in a document known formally as the "Sierra Declaration of Fundamental Principles" but which is generally referred to as the "Mountain Man Manifesto" or simply the "Declaration".  The Declaration states that, wherever possible, personal liberty and freedoms will be preserved to the individual.  When it is necessary to curtail that freedom by force of law for the good of the community the power to create, modify and police that intrusion will be maintained as closely as possible to those who are affected by those intrusions.   Additional principles limiting the size and scope of the government's power and authority were also stated, and these principles directly informed the M'Tzigon Planetary Constitution which was written two years after founding and ratified seven months later.

As would be expected the M'Tzigon planetary government was heavily influenced by the Old Republic, but it is not a direct copy by any means.  The original colony was settled almost exclusively by ex-Military personnel who had seen first-hand many abuses of power by a Republic that was to heavily swayed by the rich and powerful 'upper crust', often at the expense of the poor and middle-class working folks.  The colony was also infused from inception with the teachings of the Book of the Way, among which were found the principles of "reap what you sow" and "created in the image of the Maker". 

As a result the colony began with what the Republic would have seen as a highly radical and extreme lazze faire attitude toward economics and personal freedoms, attitudes which were on par with the likes of the Vhal Dan.  The "religious fanaticism" continues to infuse the world and provides the underpinning of its social and judicial order, without which the Mak'Tor would soon fall into the greed and corruption of the Hutts or Trade Guilds, and as such this 'pillar' of Mak'Tor society is zealously guarded and propagated. 

Politically, however, the main effects on M'Tzigon are twofold.  First, ALL politics are in essence "local" politics.  Second, the various religious establishments on the planet, led by but not limited to the Church of the Way of the Maker, tend to be heavily involved in political discussion and debate while maintaining a discrete separation from the actual mechanics and structures of political power.

The Constitution established M'Tzigon as a Representative Republic.  There are 23 Provinces on M'Tzigon.  M'Skigon Province is in the high mountains and is under the direct rule of the Mak'Tor Council of Balance, though the various cantons and villages elect local government officers just like everyone else.  The other 22 Provinces are made up of between eight and fourteen Cantons.  A Canton is a political district with approximately 100,000 people in it.  There are currently 202 Cantons on M'Tzigon.

The various villages and towns in a Canton elect their local officials per their local by-laws as incorporated on their charters.  Areas not within these incorporated areas are governed by the Canton officials directly.  The local judicial system and constabulary are also maintained at the Canton level.  All Cantons have the following offices: Alderman (Chief executive), Sheriff, Council (seven positions), and Chief Justice.  The Alderman is the Canton's chief executive.  The Council is the Canton's legislative arm.  The Sheriff is the head of the local police force, and the Chief Justice is the senior judge.  The Alderman proposes legislation and budgets.  The Council creates laws, budgets, levies necessary taxes and creates infrastructure as required by the Canton.  Legislation can only be created by the Council and must be approved by the Alderman.  The Council is also advised by the Sheriff and Chief Justice.  Any budgetary expenditure greater than 5% of the total budget must be put to an up/down vote of the entire Canton in the next general election.  Judges are nominated by either the Chief Justice or the Alderman, and must be seconded by either the other office or a majority vote of the council.  Nominated judges are placed on a ballot for voter approval. 

Judges (including the Chief Justice) serve 10-year terms.  Councilmen serve 3 year terms, with 2 or 3 council positions up for re-election annually.  Aldermen serve 5-year terms.  There are no term limits, but NO person may serve in the same position for two consecutive terms.

Province government is described Constitutionally as being bi-cameral with a Chief Executive and a Chief Justice.  The House of Assembly (a.k.a "Assembly) is made up of two Chambers.  One chamber (known as the Peers) is made up of representatives appointed by each Canton's council and endorsed by the Alderman, 1 from each Canton serving a five year term.  The second chamber, known as the Commons, is directly elected by the people of the Canton to a six-year term.  Each Canton is apportioned for one Commons district per 10,000 people, rounded up.  (So a Canton with a population of 104,887 would round to 110,000 and divide, as evenly as possible, into 11 districts.)  The Chief Executive of each Province is given the title of "Governor" and is the head of the Province's executive branch.  A "Lieutenant Governor" is also elected, his role primarily ceremonial, his primary purpose to step in should something prevent the Governor from completing his term of office.  Governors are elected for 5-year terms.  The Judicial branch is made up of a Supreme Court of five justices nominated by the Governor and approved by general election to 10-year terms.   Appeals courts in each Canton are to be created at need by the Governor, the justices appointed by the Governor and confirmed by a vote of the Assembly. 

The chief Law Enforcement officer of a Province is the Bailiff.  The Bailiff may hire and empower deputies to assist him in his duties.  The Bailiff is responsible for law enforcement, crime investigation, and incarceration of prisoners.  The Bailiff is appointed by the Governor and confirmed by popular vote.  He serves at the Governor's pleasure and may be fired by the Governor or an act of the Assembly, again with confirmation by popular ballot required.  If the Bailiff is upheld by popular vote after at attempt at removal by the Governor or legislature, such removal may not be attempted again until after the next popular vote.

At the Province level, the Assembly creates legislation, the Governor must either approve it via signature or veto it.  If the Governor does not approve or veto within 10 days, the legislation automatically returns to the Assembly.  If it is passed with a 60% majority on return it becomes law.  A deliberate veto requires a 2/3 majority to override the veto.   

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2018, 07:43:37 PM »

M'Tzigon Political Structure (Planetary)  
    *continued*

The provinces of M'Tzigon are united in the M'Tzigon Confederation.  This is the "Federal" level of the planetary government, and it mimics very closely the Provincial level in its workings.  However, the Confederation government is limited by the Constitution to three areas: Inter-Provincial commerce (strictly defined as the creation of common measures and currencies, the Confederation-wide recognition of Provincial documents and licenses, etc, and the creation and maintenance of common travel and communications standards and infrastructure), Planetary Defense, and inter-planetary diplomacy.  

The government follows the tripartite structure of the Provinces: Executive, Legislature, and Judiciary.

The Executive branch is led by a Planetary President, elected to a 5-year term.  There is also a Vice President elected on the same ticket to a 5-year term.   Again, there are no term limits but no official may hold the same office for consecutive terms.  At the Planetary level there is an additional prohibition concerning Presidents and Vice Presidents - a President may not hold the office of President OR Vice President in the term immediately following his term of office as President.  (This was done to prevent two people from rotating back and forth as President and Vice-President)

The President's Council is made up of 7 positions:  Vice-President/Council Chairman, Minister of State, Minister of Defense, Minister of Commerce, Minister of Justice, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Minister-at-Large.   The Vice-President always serves as the Chairman of the Council.  The Minister of Defense, as defined by the Constitution's 7th Amendment, is the Mak'Tor Order's Kage.  The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff may NOT be a member of the Mak'Tor order, also defined by the 7th Amendment.   Each Council member (save the VP) is appointed by the President and confirmed by the Planetary Assembly.

The Legislative Branch is made up of the Planetary Assembly.  The Assembly has a House of Peers and House of Commons.  The Commons are elected by direct election of the people.  Planetary Commons districts are apportioned one district per every 80,000 people.  There are currently 250 Planetary Assemblymen.   The Peers are directly appointed by the Provincial Governors with confirmation required from the Provincial Assemblies.  There are currently 23 Peers.  All fiscal bills must originate in the Commons.  The Peers have the responsibility of approving Judicial appointments.

The Judicial branch is made up of a Supreme Court consisting of seven Justices.  The Chief Justice is the member with the most seniority.  Justices are appointed to the Court for 20-year terms and may not serve consecutive terms.  Appointments are made by the President and must be approved by a vote of the Peers.  The Supreme court serves as the final arbiter of legal disputes for the Planetary court system.  They stand immediately above the Provincial Supreme Courts.

Legislation for appropriations, taxation, and regulation must go through three "Readings".  The "First Reading" consists of the text of the proposed legislation being read out-loud on the originating chamber floor.  After this reading debate on proposed changes is opened and entertained until a simple majority of the quorum votes to close debate.  Any proposed amendments are voted on.   If amended, the legislation is updated and then re-read, again out loud, and given an up/down vote.  Second Reading is the same process, but in the opposite House.  If the legislation is amended after Second Reading, it goes to a reconciliation committee formed of three members from each house and an at-large member appointed by the Senior Assemblyman.  Third Reading consists of the reconciled bill being read out to both houses for an up/down vote.  If there is no need of reconciliation, the bill will go directly to Third Reading.  If the bill passes the up/down vote after third reading, the bill goes to the President for signature or Veto.  If the President vetoes, the Assembly may override with a 2/3 majority.  No amendments are allowed during an override attempt.  If the President neither signs nor vetoes the bill, it may be implemented by a 60% super-majority vote of the Assembly, again without amendment.  This by-pass vote is sometimes called "Fourth Reading" and happens automatically after 60 days.  If the bill does not meet the 60% super-majority it is considered the same as a veto and the bill must be re-submitted from scratch.

Last Election Cycle: 3 ABY

Current Office Holders (Planetary Level)

Planetary President: Jason Alvarez  (Until 8ABY)
Planetary VP: Susan Colman (Until 8ABY)
Minister of State: Rev'Lan Tryx (human male)
Minster of Defense - Kage Silman Lo
Minster of Commerce - Jo'Lin Tor (Human female)
Minster-At-Large - Pho'Bus Xir (Huaman male)
Minster of Justice - Had'Rian Dir (Human female)
Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff - General Elax Cliff, Master-At-Arms

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2018, 01:52:20 AM »

...Wow Karm...just...wow...

I wish that I had such an incredibly complex and intriguing backstory!  That is fantastic!!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: