Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Lightsaber Dueling  (Read 3688 times)
AnakinSkywalkerFanBoy
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -3

"If only you knew the POWER of the dark side."

« on: January 07, 2018, 05:12:41 AM »

Hey guys! So I'm new to Star Wars lightsaber dueling and I plan on buying a lightsaber soon. I am 14, and live in California. I'm here to ask for help to get started! I love the idea of getting good at lightsaber dueling, and I have a friend that's interested as well. I like to do anything, whether it be spar or spin or do tricks, I just want to do it! However, I am not very compelled to do paid lessons, as after all I am 14, and this is really a side hobby at most. Any suggestions? Also, may you please explain how it works? Do you choose a lightsaber form a practice it, or do lightsaber forms not really apply to real life? Thank you for all your help!

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 05:30:00 AM »

Check out Terra Prime Light Armory. They have a lot of online videos, webpages, etc. They specialize in teaching others lonh distance through digital platforms.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

DarthScrub
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -580

Fin Fus Fent Stin Zu'u

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 05:30:13 AM »

For your saber, I'd recommend one that is simple and thin so you can learn how to handle it first. My recommendation will always be the Prophecy. For spins and choreography, there are an abundance of videos here on the forum and on YouTube that you can practice without having a teacher. Only thing you'll miss out on is the actual combat, but you mentioned your friend wanting a saber as well.

For your first spin, look up the Obi-Ani and give that a go. Its simple but looks very impressive!

Want a custom avatar? Shoot me a PM, you can view my work here!

Guardianofwinds
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 15

Light side points please

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 09:43:45 AM »

Welcome to the addiction. Perhaps im echoing those above. first plate to start is find a reliable resource; TPLA is a fantastic one. Bendu lightsaber Academy, Lightspeed saber league (think that's the name), and im sure there are more, perhaps some in your back yard. check out Facebook as there may be a lightsaber combat group nearby

Next, I will say Start with form one. build that foundation of footwork, body mechanics and very basic knowledge. Just practicing Shii-cho has helped me in leagues and bounds with my sword play. You may want to go to Djem so, or Ataru, or Juyo, but temper yourself and practice the basics first. You will have more fun when you feel like  you're not just floundering about. There are alot of rookie mistakes that practicing the basics can help with such as; grip, posture, aiming to strike the person and not just the blade, how to move, how to block  and a whole host of others. TPLA has amazing instructors and they are all more than qualified to examine what you're doing and help you improve your form.

For Spins, check out Daniel Lane on Youtube/facebook. My friends and I call him the spinmaster for a reason.

Anyway. good luck and welcome to the wonderful world that is sabering.

Be forgiving of the past, mindful of the present and hopeful toward the future

Ander
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 56

SErvizio, CUra, RIspetto

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 10:35:39 AM »

Ciao Anakin,
if you live in the SF area you might want to have a look at LudoSport.
I am afraid we do offer courses with regular paying classes, but I suggest that it would be good for you to check them out for a trial lesson to see what different groups have to offer.
Whatever you do, have fun!

Andrea Ungaro | Ander
LudoSport form I, II, III instructor

Dean - LudoSport Alpha - Ordine delle Onde
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lscagenova/

Why you should not learn fighting on Youtube: https://goo.gl/mhh9Ns

AnakinSkywalkerFanBoy
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -3

"If only you knew the POWER of the dark side."

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 03:30:37 AM »

Thank you all for the feedback! I'll definitely go with all your recommendations! And as a black belt in Taek Wan Do, nobody knows more than me how important the basics are, so I will start with Form 1 as recommended. As for the last comment about LudoSport I believe it was, Unfortunately I live in the LA area so I can't make it there. Sad However I would have absolutely tried a trial lesson if I could!

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 09:13:52 AM »

I agree with other considering the quality of TPLA on line material Wink

Also, Cang Snow is from South California if i remember well ... and he practices with a league ... maybe you can send him a PM.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 02:39:15 PM »

Hey there, I'm actually a Headmaster with TPLA, so if you have any questions about our system please feel free to ask.  We are one of the few groups with a publicly available, complete curriculum based on real martial arts, and I think it's an excellent resource even if you have an in-person group to spar with!  Check out our Youtube vids, and if you're interested, we have a Learners in Exile group on Facebook that's open to anyone to get started.  Beyond that, we have a forum (TPLALXforum.boards.net) that we use for training.

Cang Snow
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 42

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 09:02:52 AM »

I agree with other considering the quality of TPLA on line material Wink

Also, Cang Snow is from South California if i remember well ... and he practices with a league ... maybe you can send him a PM.

Thank you, Seblaise. Yes we're the largest lightsaber combat org in Southern California.

www.lightspeed-saber.com

https://www.facebook.com/groups/LightspeedSaberSoCal/

Logan Skywalker
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 6

Keeper of The Balance

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 09:44:28 PM »

Hello,
TPLA, BENDU lightsaber combat, TSL(Be aware there are some politics and internal issues, along with a totally frivolous, non legally binding, non compete agreement thrown into the last line of the hold harmless agreement) That said TSL for the most part is a great organization to learn in. I am personally not a fan of the Lightspeed rule as they eliminate some of the very basic principals of some of the forms, specifically the rule that calls for only semi circular strikes, effectively eliminating any possibility of Ataru, or the Suma Rotations. That said if you just want to fight with lightsabers, then it is probably a good place to start. If you want to learn lightsaber combat in the traditional sense and learn the 7 forms of lightsaber combat, my two top suggestions would be TPLA, and Bendu.

Logan "The Grey" Skywalker

Cang Snow
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 42

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 09:53:55 PM »

Hello,
TPLA, BENDU lightsaber combat, TSL(Be aware there are some politics and internal issues, along with a totally frivolous, non legally binding, non compete agreement thrown into the last line of the hold harmless agreement) That said TSL for the most part is a great organization to learn in. I am personally not a fan of the Lightspeed rule as they eliminate some of the very basic principals of some of the forms, specifically the rule that calls for only semi circular strikes, effectively eliminating any possibility of Ataru, or the Suma Rotations. That said if you just want to fight with lightsabers, then it is probably a good place to start. If you want to learn lightsaber combat in the traditional sense and learn the 7 forms of lightsaber combat, my two top suggestions would be TPLA, and Bendu.

We don't say anywhere in our rules that only semi-circular strikes are allowed. That would totally defy the purpose of the Lightspeed-saber system.

Our emblem, the Star-Bat, is an homage to Ataru, the way of the hawkbat.

Where did you read this from?

Logan Skywalker
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 6

Keeper of The Balance

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 04:54:01 AM »

We don't say anywhere in our rules that only semi-circular strikes are allowed. That would totally defy the purpose of the Lightspeed-saber system.

Our emblem, the Star-Bat, is an homage to Ataru, the way of the hawkbat.

Where did you read this from?
I must beg everyones forgiveness, especially you Mr. Snow. I misread one of the violations in your rule set. It was regarding sweeps, below the knee. I am mortified. I retract what I said, I also wrote a lengthy comment on one of your posts after you responded. I must officially say that I am appalled by my own mis reading. Please forgive me for this. I stand corrected. In all honesty I would like to begin a discourse with you on the subject. I will be attending a meet of a group near me that is under your rule set this week. While I still don't think this is something I will find fits my cup of tea, my hasty words were uncalled for I apologize profusely.

Logan "The Grey" Skywalker

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: