Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: TOP 10 FAVOURITE MOVIES OF 2017  (Read 1108 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« on: January 07, 2018, 11:58:08 PM »

So, I LOVE movies and watch quite a few every year. Here is my list of my favourite movies that came out in 2017.

PLEASE NOTE - I am not saying these are the BEST movies that came out last year. These are my favourite movies of the year. Also, there are a number of great movies that were released in America that are only now being released in the UK, so I haven't and couldn't include them on this list. Finally, I have not ranked them in order as that was far too difficult for me to do (plus it's almost midnight, I can't be bothered and I owe my missus a foot rub)

HIDDEN FIGURES - The inspirational true story of three black women that were instrumental in NASA's space race in the 1960s.

THOR: RAGNAROK
- One of the funniest movies of the year and contains some well received character development for Thor, Loki, Hulk and Banner.

IT - The first big screen release of the Stephen King classic really capitalised on the current 80s nostalgia buzz and gave us a really effective coming-of-age horror movie that left me desperate to see the follow up.

LOGAN - The Wolverine portrayal comic book fans have always wanted, the film is much much more than simply a comic book movie and has some of the best performances of the year (from Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart).

BABY DRIVER - One the most stylish and coolest movies of the year, Edgar Wright really knows how to shoot great action and incorporate great music in his film.

GET OUT - A horror movie that relies on suspense and psychological build-up, as well as has smart and effective subtle commentaries on race and how race is viewed in modern society.

WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES - The final entry in the rebooted Apes trilogy, once again Andy Serkis' mo-cap work for Caesar makes you care for this chimpanzee and root for the apes over the humans. A true testament to great film-making.

BATTLE OF THE SEXES - Emma Stone brings her A-game once more portraying the creation of the women's tennis tour in 1970s America and her much publicised match against retired male player Bobby Riggs.

BLADE RUNNER 2049 - The most beautifully shot movie of the year that really impressed me in how they managed to effortlessly and seamlessly continue the story and world building from the 1982 original, but with a better story, with more world building and some amazing acting.

JUMANJI: WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE - An (unnecessary) sequel to a 90s kid movie turned out to be one of the most enjoyable experiences I had at the cinema last year. The Rock, Kevin Hart, Karen Gillan and Jack Black are hilarious in their respective roles and the way gamer rules are incorporated just adds to the fun.

Honourable mentions:
Detroit
Ingrid Goes West
Professor Marston & The Wonder Women
Spiderman: Homecoming

Jon Solo
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 7

I would like to be neutral in my points please.

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 03:00:19 AM »

Lol. No Star Wars love? On a Star Wars forum?

Avatar supplied by the great DarthScrub

Current Sabers:
Dark Sentinel v4 - Adegan Silver
Dominix LE V4 - Arctic Blue
Consular (the professor) - emerald driver with obsidian sound v4

Wishlist:
Consular (achieved)
Guardian
Lost Gray
Fulcrum
Crimson Reaper

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 05:49:11 PM »

Lol. No Star Wars love? On a Star Wars forum?
If reading the comments in the Ep 8 spoiler thread taught me anything it's that it's best to avoid saying anything about that movie at all. Star Wars fans can be vicious! LOL (that's why I prefer Star Trek)

Hansrad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -670

Jedi? Sith? I'm the one with the lightsaber.

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 05:10:15 AM »

Thanks Knox. Haven't done one of these in a while.

Here goes.

1. Guardians vol2
2. Thor Ragnarok
3. Jon Wick Chapter 2
4. Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
5. Ghost in the Shell
6. War for the Planet of the Apes
7. Logan
8. King Arthur and the Legend of the Sword
9. Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Men Tell No Tales
10. Spiderman Homecoming.

Honorables go to Wonder Woman and Kingsmen 2.

I'm sure Blade Runner would have been on there but I missed it due to a back injury. Oh well that's what blurays are for.

Own: Emerald Overlord, BHManticore, BR Renegade,FO Dominix LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix LE V4 (stunt), GB Apprentice LE(stunt),BR Dark Initiate LE V4 (stunt), AS Apprentice LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix V3 (stunt), SRD Darkish Liberator (stunt) Emerald Lost Grey.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 11:04:02 PM »

Hey Knox!

I'm not sure I can name ten films I thought were really good in 2017.  But here are my favorites from the year...

1. Hidden Figures.  This was my ABSOLUTE favorite movie of the year.  But I'm a total sucker for docu-dramas....  That being said, this was a story that needed to be told, and should have been told a LONG time ago.  Of course, the fact that I live in Huntsville, AL (Rocket City, USA) has NOTHING to do with it...  ;-)

2. Spider Man: Homecoming.  Yes.  I loved it.  I'm a huge Marvel fan, and this was THE marvel movie of the year.  It lived up to the hype and I am SO glad someone FINALLY got the character right!  Go Peter!  :-)

3. Thor: Ragnorok.  A lot of fun, but it didn't quite live up to Spider Man.  On the other hand, we got to see Thor and Hulk go all-out.  And Thor won.  Yes.   He did. 

4. Star Wars: The Last Jedi.  I enjoyed the film.  I am not going to get into a debate about its merits or vices vis-a-vis the "Star Wars Universe".  The SWU is whatever the producers and directors make of it.  On its face, this was an entertaining movie AND ITS THE MIDDLE MOVIE IN A TRILOGY.  So I will reserve overall judgement until Ep IX is in the books.  I will say this though: The Act III fake-out was actually pretty good...

And... That's it.  I didn't see Wonder Woman, but I believe it was a pretty good film.  I didn't see Justice League and don't intend to.  I did see Guardians of the Galaxy 2, and was highly disappointed.

So... 4 good movies in 2017.  Five if you count WW.  About what I expect from Hollywood these days...

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

darth tratus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -241

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 11:52:31 PM »

In no particular order

Star wars the last jedi

Logan

Wonder Woman

War for the planet of the apes

wind river