Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Display Stand Potential ?!  (Read 1299 times)
Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« on: January 08, 2018, 10:32:01 PM »

Hi all.  Was at Michaels craft store the other day and saw this larger book/picture display stand.  A thought occurred to me that with some modifications it might have some good use especially for taking angled pics of sabers.  I tried using in as many positions as it allowed and this seems to be the best.

What are your opinions ?  I likely will get a few and right now there is a 50% off coupon.  I feel that the curved parts that would stabilize the photo frame needs to be removed.  But how far down and what angle to cut it so that more of the saber has an unhampered view.  I have tried it with larger sabers such as a Bellicose.  Generally balance wise works the best with just a blade plug or a shorter blade.  The hilt rests quite well on the longer pole part.

Lord Tohmas
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -43

(DS points please!)

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 10:40:54 PM »

I looked at the pictures before I read your post and came to the same conclusion of removing the angled ends. I would think maybe removing half of that height should be sufficient.  Does the flair in the hilt help keep it in place? Just wondering if one of the more uniform cylinder style hilts would still work. Looks great, though. Good find!

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 11:04:27 PM »

Seems to work well for most of the tubular designs because of the large V -shaped cut out.  For those wondering... it is Studio Decor Easel  8"/20.3.cm  With coupon I paid about $12 Cdn. including taxes.  Smiley

Hansrad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -670

Jedi? Sith? I'm the one with the lightsaber.

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 04:00:25 AM »

Cool idea. I think if you could round out the bottom of the v to fit a hilt's diameter better the sides could be cut down to a minimum.

Own: Emerald Overlord, BHManticore, BR Renegade,FO Dominix LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix LE V4 (stunt), GB Apprentice LE(stunt),BR Dark Initiate LE V4 (stunt), AS Apprentice LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix V3 (stunt), SRD Darkish Liberator (stunt) Emerald Lost Grey.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 04:16:18 PM »

Good thought and I considered that... but then there would be a less elevated slant for seeing the saber.  For me a more clearer view of the emitter section is a plus.  If I wanted to display the saber level I would use the plexi/mirror US stand.  Can't have enough of those.

Am going to get a few easels to experiment with.  Ultimately I would like to have a stand that displays a saber almost to fully upright.  I have a few ideas but limited time right now.  Will post some pics that have marker pen lines of various angles and heights to get suggestions and approvals before I attempt to cut down the plexi glass.

Thanks LC and Hansrad.  Smiley

MavRick
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 600

May the force be with you! (give light side )

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 01:24:39 AM »

Good idea D7, it looks good.

Sabers I own:                                           
 Graflex Tri-cree AB w/sd & bronze buttons
 Consular CG w/sd an silver foc
 Archon CG w/sd an silver foc
 Prophecy CG w/sd an silver foc
 Dorinian SRD w/lite sd and AB foc
 Guardian in GB
 Aeon V3 in GB
 Dark Standard Issue BR w/vert grooves
 Dark Apprentice AB (Freebee!)
 Sentinel LE V4 w/windows in SY
 Dark Sentinel LE V5 in AB (raffle prize)
 Initiate LE V4 in GB
 Franken saber in VA
Wish list: Dark Prophecy BR w/sd, dark cat pommel; Azure Enigma AB; Exile CG w/sd; Dominix LE V2 in BR gift for a friend

ThanatosPa
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -10

Dark Side points

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 09:10:17 PM »

When you go to cut it down use a metal blade in a saber saw. It will give the cleanest cut. Then use a VERY high grit sandpaper to smooth the rough edges of the cut. Also I would cut it as far down as you can and still support sabers.

Dark Sentinel LE Windowed silver
Aeon LE V2 Green
Also for those awarding points Dark Side please

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 11:39:17 PM »

Thanks for the recent replies and to ThPa for the good suggestions.  Right now the x2 Michaels stores are out of stock on this easel.  So I'm going to hold off till I am sure that there is more supplies coming.  Will have to use this or a larger plug in power tool.  The plexi is a little thicker and I don't want it to have surface cracks.  Smiley

Terrible photo with worn out camera.  There are plastic, metal and thin cutting discs.  I really like that EZ Lock mandrel.

ThanatosPa... are you collecting light or dark side forum appreciation points ?

ThanatosPa
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -10

Dark Side points

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 02:26:55 PM »

Oh I suppose it will be Darkside......They have cookies  Smiley

the dremel will work great as well for cutting it down. Just watch hot bits coming off the easle.

Dark Sentinel LE Windowed silver
Aeon LE V2 Green
Also for those awarding points Dark Side please

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: