Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Lightsaber or Sword Experience  (Read 994 times)
Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« on: January 09, 2018, 07:05:55 PM »

Doing some information gathering here on the forum.  Who here has training or extensive experience in stage combat and choreography?  This includes martial arts demo teams, or any other method of training which caters toward visual demonstrations of sword/lightsaber usage.

Please post here, and include the extent of your experience, including whether or not you have taught others in the activity.

28Shadow
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -23

Dark Side points please!

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 07:15:36 PM »

I've been trained and have practiced with the Society of American Fight Directors under a few different styles (rapier and dagger, broadsword, quarterstaff) and hold a beginners certification with Dueling Arts International for Broadsword.

I have also assisted at a few local workshops around my area of the state, usually with single sword/single rapier and a few times with broadsword but told through a lightsaber Smiley

EDIT: I should note that the styles that SAFD and DAI teach are not historically accurate martial arts, but are strict and controlled forms of movement that are designed to keep both actors safe at all times, even if something goes wrong.  Personally I find it more fun than actually gearing up to go at one another, be it Kendo, HEMA, sport fencing etc. simply because it's not a race or a fight but a performance that elevates the tension of the scene.  If anything it has more in common with a well choreographed dance routine than it does with a martial art.

"Let the past die.  Kill it, if you have to."

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: