Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Found this and would like to upgrade it  (Read 1156 times)
RookieDueler
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 20

« on: January 10, 2018, 10:49:32 PM »

So, I was going through my old stuff when I found this nostalgic artifact:

This is an old Disney World Build-Your-Own Lightsaber from 2009. The model is the first hilt they ever used and the first lightsaber I purchased with my own money. As you can see, I used the toy without holding back, the blade now held together with tape for various reasons. I made my first US purchase on the 31st and I then joined this forum as one does. One of my ideas that came to mind when I found this discussion group for customization was putting this here and seeing what you guys think, whether or not this hilt could be properly fitted with a least an MLS system and a US blade to make it combat usable. Is there any more information you would like to have before you give your advice?

The hilt itself is only about 11 in long as you can see. The hilt is made of a durable plastic that I wrapped with gorilla tape for comfort. The shroud/emitter can be unscrewed and has just under an inch and a half diameter to hold the blade.

The inside of the hilt has an inch wide square opening that used to be the old electronics system (button on the outside). There are screws under all the tape that allow for the hilt to be taken apart, something I'm not sure I want to do until I have some more informed/official opinions on the matter. The button is 5/8ths of an inch wide but shouldn't be too hard to widen.

So with this information, what do you think? If you need me to I can crack the hilt open but due to all the tape on it and my uncertainty of whether or not it's possible to do I am reluctant to do it right off the bat. I personally think the hilt could withstand combat if it has the right blade to go with it (i.e. a US blade). My main concern is electronics since I am not very experienced in the matter and have no clue how much room I would need. I would like to hear your educated and experience thoughts on this project before I do anything.

As I do not have a blade for comparison (yet) any ideas on that would be helpful as well.

Sabers:

Phantasm V2 (Aeon V2 Saber Staff) - Arctic Blue and Violet Amethyst

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 11:21:53 PM »

Hi.  I do not tamper with the saber electronics but am an ardent saber customizer with a bit of knowledge.  This project is going to be costly but may be worth it if this toy saber really is that dear to your heart.  I'm not sure that you would be able to make the plastic body stable enough to handle the weight and at times the tension of the internal workings and blade socket modifications.  This will not be sturdy enough for any kind of significant dueling.

When you receive your combat ready saber and blade you will have a better visual and feel of the great differences and a more educated realization of what are reasonable expectations for this nostalgic artifact.  Perhaps keeping as a display piece for the start of your collection would honor the memories in the best way.  Smiley

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 04:19:17 AM »

D7 is likely right.
What it would take to make this truly duel worthy may not be worth it

RookieDueler
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 20

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 05:28:18 AM »

Okay, thanks for your opinions. I figured it wouldn't be recommended but it is always good to hear from others what they think. I will keep displaying it proudly as is (or maybe with some new tape).

Sabers:

Phantasm V2 (Aeon V2 Saber Staff) - Arctic Blue and Violet Amethyst

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 05:02:48 PM »

Well... if you changed out the tape then it wouldn't be a relic anymore lol.  Cheesy

DarthScrub
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -580

Fin Fus Fent Stin Zu'u

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 06:40:50 PM »

Do you have any experience with bondo body filler? You could really make this saber your own with it

Want a custom avatar? Shoot me a PM, you can view my work here!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: