Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
Author Topic: The Gray and the Unchained: The Cost of Freedom  (Read 25492 times)
TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« on: January 11, 2018, 04:35:31 PM »

And so our shared SW Universe continues.  This takes place after Wind Chimes/Shadow Etude.  Thanks to my partners-in-crime Karm and LSG for the storyboarding.  And special thanks to LSG for the title help  Wink

And now, let the journey continue  Grin
*****************************************************************************************************************
THE GRAY AND THE UNCHAINED: THE COST OF FREEDOM

Prologue

“Moves you pfassk!” Punctuating his expletive, Bortr Kaylak flogged at the pitiful creature.  Spitting at it as they shuffled past the incredibly fat Crolute, Bortr wasn’t even sure if it was a male, female, or an androgynous gender; he only knew that they smelled worse than a Bantha after Boonta Eve.  “And none o’ you kriffing farbots best be laggerin’ whiles in th’ cut!”  Another scourging of the electro-whip made for no argument from the assorted species, one and all miserable, hunched over, and generally hopeless.

As per usual, the slaver freighter was filthy and overcrowded with product.  Each of the slaves had been fitted with a miniature detonator as well as an electro-collar around their necks.  Grouped in disorganized lines, the slaves were forced to sit or hunch; there wasn’t enough room to lie down.  They even had to sleep upright.  Those that were unfortunate enough to fall were either smothered or trampled.  

Even then, that wasn’t the worst: the slaves were practically starved, “served” a quarter-ration every three standard days.  So those that died were…consumed.

That, combined with the fact that there were no refresher facilities available—the slaves were sprayed down within the room, a single drain located in the center of the communal cell—was enough that any olfactory senses were deadened at best…at worst?  Well… thought Bortr, grateful for his rebreather, we’ll see ifs some’un kin die from inhaling!  He laughed at his own humor, or what passed for wit for Bortr.

In good humor, the Crolute thought about what he’d do as soon as this shipment of product was delivered to Myzm III.  He’d finally qualified for a percentage of the take; no more “freelancing.”  He grinned.  He would finally have enough for that gynoid he’d been looking at.  Certainly he’d use her to replace Third Wife…although he had hopes that she would even supplant Second Wife.  “Them Kloaners are good ‘nuff, mayhaps e’en has meself a new Prim’ry!” He said to no one in particular.  His rebreather made his guffawing sound even more porcine, reflective Bortr’s incredible obesity.

He caught a glint out of the corner of his eye; nothing in the communal cell should…shine.  “What th’ kriffing hells?” He softly cursed.  He had to lay about with the electro-whip a bit to get the product to move out of his way.  He knew he’d seen it… Turning his head from left to right, he tried to get another glimpse of the shiny… There!

Working the electro-whip in a flurry, he half-jogged, half-trampled the product underfoot.  It was a good thing that Myzm III bought in bulk… Finally, he came across a small crowd of product, each with their backs to Bortr.  He gave them each two “warning” floggings before he readied to really get to work on them.

“Gives us th’ shiny!”  Incredibly, they didn’t move and even after scourging one product to the point that the dark blue blood pooled on the deck they still refused to move.  Finally, grabbing a thin shoulder in his fat fist, Bortr turned one of slaves around bodily.  What he saw gave him more than pause, it completely took his breath away.

Instead of a frightened, broken product, fiery, intelligent eyes glared at Bortr underneath a hardened face.  Yelling, the slave brought his hands up.  “The Sons have come!  Throw off your shackles!”

But Bortr wasn’t listening; the product had somehow removed the collar.  More disturbing, he had the detonator in hand.  And before the fat Crolute could act, the product touched a button, completing the circuit triggering the explosive.  Only, instead of a confined detonation, it activated over a dozen, each one in key locations coinciding with the slaves' overseers.  Before any of the other crew-members of the slave freighter could react a final, more powerful detonation blew the doors from the wall, opening all communal cells.

“Come sires!  Siras!  LET US BE FREE!” The cries resonated throughout the ship, echoing across all onboard audio frequencies and in numerous languages.  As one, the slaves became one organism, searching out and destroying that which had tormented them…

<<<<< >>>>>

Startling awake, Bortr was instantly aware of the pain.  Slowly rotating his head, his gaze came to rest first upon his right arm, the one with the whip.  Or rather, the bloody stump where his arm had been.  Shrapnel had embedded itself throughout, peppering his body with mini-flechettes.  One—he promptly realized—had pierced his right eye.  Bortr screamed, a wet, gurgling sound.  But no one paid him any mind.

Using his one good eye, he surveyed the scene around him.  The floor was lined wall-to-wall with the blood of various beings, making a viscous black carpet.  And standing just a few meters from him, he saw a group of product surrounding two figures.  One was a Togruta male, his face and montrals a crosshatching of lacerations mutilating his head.  The other…

Standing over two and a half meters tall was a…humanoid in what looked like…armor?  Only, this armor was black, blacker than null-space.  And the armor covered every part of…it.  Even the light seemed to dim around the armor, like it was being sucked into the plates like a black hole… Closing his only working eye, Bortr began shaking, terror beyond anything he’d ever experienced coursing through him.  ‘Tis Nic’Rhon, ‘tis…! He thought, naming the Crolute deamon-god of myth.

But then, he heard talking.  Normal, Galactic Basic.  He opened his eye, focusing on the speaker.  It was the Togruta male…

“And you’ve secured the bridge, Ornil?” He had his arm on the shoulder of a Kel Dor…a product.  “Well done, brother.  Nam’as Nuen!  Do you have a final count?”  The Togruta was addressing a skinny Sullustan…product.  It said something in its singsong language.  Whatever it said, the Togruta looked angry, angry and pained.  “Damn.  I know that they volunteered but…heroes.” He said quietly, then louder: “Heroes one and all of them!  It is to our honored dead and absent friends that we raise our voices in gratitude and admiration!”  Every single product cheered, those with weapons in their hands raising them in salute or triumph.

“Yes, at least that slug Myzm will miss his much needed shipment of slave/exfoliators!” The Togruta responded to a question that Bortr did not hear.

“Scrubber!  Scrubber!”  A tall, well-fed human ran up, addressing the Togruta.  “Look what me an’ Rax found!”  Something in the human’s tone made Bortr scrutinize him.  Oh hells… he thought.  In the human’s hand was the datanode that had been secreted within the bridge of the ship, its cache of Myzm III’s laundered credits the real treasure of this trip.  That money was cleaner than a Jedi’s underclothes.  Bortr was at a loss to describe the failure he felt.  Which for Bortr, didn’t take much…

Genially, the Togruta—Scrubber?—embraced the human.  “Excellently done, Hortl!  When you see Rax, tell him that he’ll be getting four cycles at the tables!  And yourself, brother.” He said fondly.  “Indeed, I am proud to count you all amongst my sires and siras!”  Again, loud cheers echoed throughout the bulkheads, echoed in Bortr’s head.

Before the roar of products’ voices had quieted, Scrubber walked over to another alien, one that was not product.  Turning to Scrubber’s voice, Bortr saw it was a Siniteen, the enormous, pulsating cranium etched with veins.  “Kal’Estp, good job with the firing solution.  Once we’d pulled them into regular space, it was a womprat shoot.”  The Togruta was smiling broadly.

The Siniteen—Kal’Estp?—nodded his acceptance.  “Scrubber…I am sorry.  My calculations were in error considering the logarithmic function had multiple unknown variables and my suppositions were not within the given tolerances apropos of the gravitic influences—”  

He abruptly stopped as Scrubber held up a hand, a compassionate look in his eyes.  “Kal’Estp, brother, we could not have made the intercept without your knowledge of fourth-dimensional trigonometry.  As always, the Sons are indebted to you.”  The Siniteen seemed to find comfort in that, a grin suddenly appearing upon his face.  Clearly, this Togruta was the one in charge…

And Bortr saw that this Scrubber was staring straight at him, his fierce, yellow eyes burning directly through him.  Slightly turning his head, Scrubber said something to the Black Armored humanoid that Bortr had named Nic’Rhon.  In unison, they both walked straight at the Crolute.  Pathetically, he attempted to make himself as small as possible, regardless that every movement that Bortr made incited further pains within his body.

“Slaver…” Scrubber’s voice dripped with contempt and controlled anger.  “Do you work for that sleemo Myzm III?”

Bortr made a small, high-pitched noise, nodding his head in small dips of his multiple chins.  Even if he could talk, he didn’t want for Nic’Rhon to steal his soul through his voice to feed to the nyx’m’h within the Hellspont.

“I have but one question to posit and I’ll return you to your master.” The Togruta never once blinked.  “Do you know the Cryptno-Code to release the lock on the credits’ datanode?”

Wheezing a laugh, Bortr stopped short.  “Wha…er, naw…”

Scrubber’s face became completely impassive.  “Then what use are you for us?”  Almost imperceptibly, he nodded at Black Armor.

The enormous, armored humanoid stepped forward, Bortr stammering and cringing, his left arm held out as if to fend off an attack…for all the good that it did him.  Raising his armored boot, Black Armor powerfully kicked downward crushing the Crolute’s head, caving in Bortr’s skull, blood and brain matter creating a grisly pool on the deck.

The human, Hortl, spoke up from behind Scrubber.  “Um…Boss, didn’t Kal’Estp already slice the encrypt for the credits’ datanode?”

Scrubber turned casually, a gleam in his eye.  “That was the first thing he did when we wrested control of the ship.  Please make certain to return…that—” The Togruta gestured to the gory remains of Bortr, “—to Myzm.”  He winked but then sobered quickly.  “Hortl, standard procedures for these kriffing slavers: capture all you can and space them.  Any companions amongst them…strip them and herd them into the airlock.  I’ll decide what to do with them shortly.”  Hortl nodded and left to complete his task.  Black Armor stood, unmoving and unconcerned regarding the blood and offal he was standing in.  Scrubber called him over while he unconsciously pulled on his one remaining lekku, a habit he’d adopted ever since his previous masters had flayed the amputated one.

“My friend, now is the time to move against Myzm III.  Our timetable has been accelerated somewhat but from what our agents at Ord Trasi tell me, our primary objective is fundamentally understaffed.”  Scrubber held up a datapad that he’d unclipped from his belt.  “Look: the Justicar.  This should suffice…”

As Scrubber continued to strategize, the rest of the freed slaves went about the freighter, “liberating” weapons and personnel and, whenever they came across a member of the crew, enacting retribution…

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 05:25:53 PM »

Myzm III?  I have to say, I like that. :-)

Now, in my best Vorlon voice...  And so it begins...

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 10:39:50 PM »

Said it before but...Seriously the details are amazing, the way Botr calls slaves 'product' the hideous way they are treated, the credit crytpo locks, dropping them out of space, whips, slave bomb collars, mythological demons...and all this for a character that then get his face kicked in by the indifferent enforcer of a charismatic leader!

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 11:47:22 PM »

Totally agree with LSG.  The details are amazing!  Thanks for setting the standard so high!  :-)

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 01:39:09 AM »

Yes, this promises to be your best story yet. So excited for more. And I think I see how Karm's interludes are tying in. Anyways, great job. So excited to see what comes next.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 06:21:34 PM »

Chapter 1: Missions

Ken slowed down and smoothed his robes as he rounded the corner.  His new rank was still a fresh weight on him, and he'd spent longer than he had intended in the salle practicing with his saber.  There were still rough edges on his Ataru dulan that he wanted to smooth out and his Shiemn forms were ... well, 'rough' was an understatement!  As a Koawan he wanted to at least gain a functional use of the first five forms.  His father's preferred Soresu was not his own favorite, he actually favored an Ataru-style attacking form but found that his use of it was liberally laced with Shii-Cho.  While there was absolutely nothing wrong with that, it tended to be a problem when he was instructing...

Instructing.  That was also something new.  He's spent most of his life being a learner.  Now he would be expected to be a teacher.  Not today, maybe, but...

Soon enough!  No time like the present to prepare!   As the saying went - again his father's words - you can never be to prepared!

The thought brought a slight smile to his face as he entered the small meeting room.  It was typical of the Mak'Tor complex - open, airy, made of native stone and yet lavishly equipped with the best electronics, all hidden away behind the polished granite blocks and rough-hewn wooden beams.  The room itself appeared, thanks to wall-mounted screens, to be an outdoor pavilion on one of the panoramic overlooks in the nearby San'Ctus mountain range.  It was not in fact endowed with such a view, as it was deep in the Mak'Tor compound, but the illusion made for a more pleasant scene.  Equipping the room that way was one of the quirky conceits of the Mak'Tor order.  The atmosphere was open, light and breezy: the faces around the table were not.

Jorya, newly knighted, was there.  Her face lit with a smile of her own as Ken entered, greeting him with a peek at the joy she felt in her own elevation to Koawan.  The women who sat flanking the head of the table had no smile.  Arnor frowned mightily at her son.  D'Aylanna Vhin'Tor was simply ... imperial.  Neither was inviting.  And at the head of the table...

Kage Silman Lo looked stern, but his blue eyes twinkled.  "Ah, Koawan Ken'a'nia.   Good of you to  join us."

Ken's cheeks heated with embarrassment as he bowed to the room.  "My apologies Kage, Meanowan D'Aylanna, Silver Arnor, Knight Jorya.  I was ... delayed."

The Kage said no more, simply gestured to a seat and Ken advanced into the room and took it.  Kage Silman nodded to D'Aylanna and she activated a small holographic projector, displaying an image of a star system.  "This is the Teth system, in the Baxel sector, in the Slice rimward of Hutt space.  The planet is a back-water, primarily covered in Jungle, and has been controlled by the Hutts or the Empire for most of its history.  We first became aware of it when the site suddenly became a black-hole for illegitimate shipping and especially slavers moving along the Triellus Trade Route.  Er'Lav Racc was able to confirm that the ship she was on was travelling in this area along the Triellus when it was taken by the Sons of Kessel."

The image shifted to timeline, with call-outs for various names and places stretching back a millenia.  "Historically the Sons of Kessel have been operating for over a millenia, always as a violent abolitionist group fighting against the slavery common in Hutt-controlled space.  For centuries they grew slowly, until they reached a zenith about six hundred years ago.  At that time the Hutts allied with the Black Sun to go after them, and it worked.  Rumor has it that the Republic as petitioned to aid them, and declined.  A few Jedi joined them at that time as well, but wiht no real success as they were quickly eliminated.  The rumors were that they were assassinated.  We have no proof of that, but the Mak'Tor records indicate that Grand Master Kimar was against using the Jedi to aid their cause at the time to of the Mak'Tor expulsion.  The Hutt and Black Sun suppression appears to have happened not long after that event, while Kimar was still in power with the Jedi and highly influential with the Imperial Senate."

Another shift and an image of a scruffy-looking Togruta appeared.  His face was badly scarred and he was missing one of this lekkus.  "This is their new leader, a Togruta and former slave who goes by the name of "Scrubber".   With his leadership has come a new ascendancy in the Sons of Kessel, as well as a fundamental policy change.  Historically the group has been very insular, adding new personnel slowly and ONLY recruiting from the ranks of liberated slaves.  That has apparently changed.  Since Er'Lav has returned we've found several instances of the group actively recruiting from various displaced or under-employed segments of society as well as professional soldiers, both mercenaries and ex-Imperials.  Even a few former Storm Troopers appear to have been brought into the fold.  There has also been an influx of new weapons and supplies, all concentrating at this site in the Teth system."

Jorya leaned forward, her eyes intent as she studied the image of the Togruta floating over the table.  "This is all very interesting, but I don't understand what our interest is?  Unless we're planning to help them?"

Arnor shared a look with D'Aylanna and picked up the narrative, shifting the image away from Scrubber and to a much fuzzier image of a humanoid wearing all-black armor.  "In addition to the revitalization of the unit and it's change of direction this man has appeared.  We have almost nothing on him other than his function.  He serves as Scrubber's personal 'enforcer' - and he has no name other than 'black armor'.  Er'Lav Racc was in close proximity to him during her rescue.  We don't think any of them were aware she was a highly trained force user and singer, due to her ... condition."  Arnor paused for a moment to suppress her own emotions.  She'd become close to Er'Lav since her return and was assisting in her healing and rehabilitation.  The Meanowan's suffering had been extreme.  That she'd been able to remember and report anything about the end of her captivity had been amazing, yet as she worked through her trauma with the healers more and more details had emerged.   "However, Meanowan Racc has confirmed that the armor appears to have the same unique properties as the dagger Meanowan Zearic currently has in his possession."

It was Ken's turn to sit forward now.  "How sure of that are we?  I haven't see the dagger myself but its effect on the force is ... extreme."

D'Aylanna fielded the question.  "Very sure.  Er'Lav was able to describe Black Armor to me.  Her primary descriptor was that he was a "black hole", absorbing all force energy around him.  She said even the song's melody was blocked by him when she was up close.  It ... greatly distressed her."

Arnor and D'Aylanna shared a look.  Er'Lav had broken down at that point in their interview.  Much later she was able to share that the loss of the song in that moment had led her to believe she was about to die.  The actions the Sons of Kessel had taken immediately after finding her - basically herding her with several other pleasure slaves and paid escorts into an airlock to await spacing as collaborators - had broken her final thread of resolve.  She'd only been able to function at an instinctive level when they'd been freed, and had barely managed to mumble coordinates to another slave girl who had helped her find a nearby Mak'Tor medical mission.  If she'd not had that help, she would have simply sat down in the Mos Eisley spaceport and died. 

But she had survived ... and confirmed that this Black Armor was quite possibly more than he appeared to be.  The Kage leaned into the conversation, looking first to Ken, then to Jorya.  "And that is the mystery.  This mysterious person, more than he seems, plus the rise in the power of the Sons of Kessel, the influx of military aid and equipment, the recruiting of non-slaves and in particular combat specialists...  It all adds up to a growing security threat.  As much as those of us who have escaped captivity ourselves sympathize with them, the Sons of Kessel use very brutal and often terminal means.  When this is aimed at slavers, we all tend to turn a blind eye or even cheer them on.  The Sons of Kessel, however are beginning to act less like a vigilante group and more like a nation-state."

It took a second for that to sink in.  "Nation-state?  So you're afraid they may be after more than just freeing slaves?"  Ken finally asked.

Lo nodded.  "That's exactly what we're worried about.  With the Empire collapsing and the New Republic forming, the natural inclination of the Hutts will be to re-assert their historic control over the sectors in the slice and coreward in the mid-rim area while there's a power vacuum.  If nothing else, the Sons of Kessel may be thinking along similar lines - use the vacuum to set up a new nation, a place where slaves can come and live in freedom.  Its a laudable goal - if that is the goal - but if nothing else it is prudent that we make contact and assure ourselves that this new entity will be ... a good neighbor."

The Kage leaned forward now, folding his hands.  "And that, Ken and Jorya, will be your mission.  I had intended to send these two ladies..." he indicated Arnor and D'Aylanna, "...but they have other pressing duties to attend to here.  So, instead, we're going to send you two."

Ken sat up very straight, mimicking the surprise and posture of Jorya across from  him.  A joint mission?  Alone?  Without our parents?Huh

Ken was suddenly and inexplicably terrified.  He looked and saw the same fear on Jorya's face.  The image - and realization that his face was just as shocked and terrified as hers - was suddenly comical.  Ken cracked a smile, and Jorya giggled.  Fortunately the two Knights were able to regain control of themselves before the spontaneous outbreak became gales of nervous laughter.  Ken recovered enough to speak first.  "Well ... I think I can speak for both of us when I say that we are both honored and terrified by the prospect of this mission, sir."

The Kage's face was schooled into a blank seriousness.  "As you should.  It is rare that a newly minted Koawan is sent on a solo mission.  But based on your past performance and the training you've received, I expect you will do well."  He looked at the two again, and Ken felt the gravity of the situation again, driving any temptation to renewed humor away.  "Your mission is to proceed to the Teth system and make contact with the Sons of Kessel.  Establish communications with them and determine their intentions and the scope of their operations.  If possible, talk to their people and accompany them on operations.  Attempt to ascertain the relationship between Scrubber and his enforcer, 'Black Armor', and what other players there may be involved in this movement.  Once you've gathered sufficient information, return with a recommendation on whether we should actively support the Sons of Kessel, remain aloof and uninvoled,  or prepare to actively oppose them."

Joyra blinked at the last.  "Oppose them, sir?  Why would we oppose a group that is only trying to free slaves?"

Kage Silman Lo never blinked.  "Knight Jorya, that is exactly what I am hoping you will be able to tell me." 

Jorya slumped back in her chair, her eyes opaque.  Ken studied her for a moment, hoping her mind wasn't already made up.  Personally he supported the idea of freeing slaves, but there were right ways to do that and wrong ones.  And he was starting to sense that there was more to these Sons of Kessel than met the eye.   Maybe a lot more.  "We'll certainly do our best, Kage."

Lo smiled.  "I know you will.  And I don't expect miracles.  Go, make contact and see what you can see, then come back and report.  That's all we are asking.  To help, we're going to give you the Wayfarer and her 'crew'.  They should come in handy both as support troops and if something ... drastic happens." 

The Kage stood, and the others rose.  "Knights, you have your orders.  Meanowan Karmack and Two are prepping the Wayfarer on pad three.  Good hunting, and may the Maker sing with you."

The knights bowed and the meeting was over.  Ken felt a rising excitement in his chest as they left the room - his first mission!  His mind started tumbling over details: Navigating to the Teth system.  Making contact with the Sons of Kessel.  How to make observations.  What to do if the Sons wouldn't talk to them or proved to be actively hostile.

"Exciting!" Jorya interjected next to him.  "Our first mission!"  Her eyes shone with the excitement of the moment. 

"Yes.  Lets make it a good one."  Ken replied.   "Grab your gear.  I'll meet you at the Wayfarer.

When Ken reached pad three he was met by an informal party gathered to see them off.  His parents were there, as were Jorya's.  The only other Knight present was Master Chillum.  Ken was struck by the look in his eyes - they shone with both pride and sadness, as if he were seeing Ken and Jorya for the last time...

I'm sure that's just nerves talking.  Ken shook the feeling off.  Master Chillum was very old.  No doubt he approached every parting as a possible final parting.  Ken stepped up and embraced his mother, then reached out to take his father's hand.  Karmack grinned and shook his son's hand before pulling him into a bear hug.  "Dad..."

"What?  You're my son."  Karmack said, stepping back and grasping his son by the shoulders.  "Take care, Ken.  Sing the Song.  Trust the Singer."

"I will."  Ken replied.  "Any other advice?"

Arnor smiled, her eyes shining.  "Be patient, and mindful of your surroundings.  There's more going on  here than what we can see.  Look deeper."

Ken nodded.   "Yes ma'am.  I sense it too.  We'll figure out what's happening and report back."

Jorya was held in a similar embrace by her own father.  "Be careful, dear one."  Zearic said.  "Mind the force and pay attention to what Ken hears in the song.  I've come to trust these 'Mack clan singers."

"I will."  Jorya replied, her own eyes shining.  "You get well!  We'll be home soon enough."

Jorya broke the embrace and with a brillant smile bounded up the ramp into the Wayfarer, followed by the barely more restrained Ken.  Two twittered a long series of beeps and whistles as he followed them on board, and Karmack broke out laughing. 

"What?" Zearic asked his friend. 

Karmack smiled at him.  "Two was just lamenting on being stuck with a pair of over-eager puppies."  Karmack turned his grin toward the ship.  "He's not entirely wrong.  I remember my first mission..."

Zearic nodded, and both men were suddenly flexing fingers, remembering the good and the bad.  "Maker preserve them..."

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 10:13:40 PM »

New blood!  I LIKE the tone of this Karm.  Good to see Ken's youthful perspective (and then combined with Jorya's...well, I think we're in for a helluva ride  Wink).  Good thing that they've got Two and the Wayfairer, they're going to need all of the help that they can get  Cheesy

And excellent foreshadowing: there's already two disparate points of view concerning the Sons and their M.O.  Let's just hope that cooler heads can prevail for the sake of the mission  Smiley

And if you guys and gals haven't already guessed it, Karm and I will be doing alternating POVs between Ken and Jorya in alternating chapters.  This should be QUITE the story  Smiley  Special props to LSG for suggesting this  Grin

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 10:21:25 PM »

New blood!  I LIKE the tone of this Karm.  Good to see Ken's youthful perspective (and then combined with Jorya's...well, I think we're in for a helluva ride  Wink).  Good thing that they've got Two and the Wayfairer, they're going to need all of the help that they can get  Cheesy

And excellent foreshadowing: there's already two disparate points of view concerning the Sons and their M.O.  Let's just hope that cooler heads can prevail for the sake of the mission  Smiley

And if you guys and gals haven't already guessed it, Karm and I will be doing alternating POVs between Ken and Jorya in alternating chapters.  This should be QUITE the story  Smiley  Special props to LSG for suggesting this  Grin

As Dutchman said, we'll be alternating, each chapter from the alternate POV.  For continuity, I'm slipping back into a third person voice.  Should make it a little easier to write and keep up with.

Thanks to Dutchman and LSG for their input and excellent contributions!  Let the games begin!  :-)

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 01:57:03 AM »

Oh yeah!! This is gonna be awesome. Cannot wait to see where this leads.

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 08:09:05 AM »

Good chapter, the hing that stands out for me is the contradiction inherent in the briefing - they know the Where (Teth) they Know the Who (Scrubber and ven his back ground) they know they Why (freeing slaves) and even the How (raids and executions)...Yet for ALL this information they just don't know what to do...Its a great effect in this chapter it gives you all this information yet you just don't know what to do with it, leaing you in the same place Ken and Jorya are.

Lord_S_Gray

Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 06:33:51 PM »

Chapter 2: Infiltration, Part I

“Belanger?  Come with me.” The Kel Dor female’s voice sounded metallic due to her rebreather but otherwise friendly.

Ken looked up from the holovid at the mention of his alias.  “What is it Ornil?”  He closed down the flight simulator and removed his gloves, the metallic fingers of his cybernetic right hand making little noise.

Ornil’s eyes seemed to change but Ken couldn’t be sure what that entailed; he didn’t have much experience with Kel Dor… “Scrubber wants to see you.  Best not keep him waiting, ‘probie.’”  

Jumping from the simulator, he quickly joined the Kel Dor in the hall, adopting an easy gait as he fell in side-by-side with her, his longer legs easily matching Ornil’s shorter.  Casually looking around, he memorized his surroundings; sub-vocalizing a Memory motif that his father Karmack had taught him.  To anyone else, it would sound like he was humming.  However, he was still amazed by just how extensive the Eurydicen Base was.  And there were still areas that he and Jorya hadn’t even seen, much less explored and they’d already been there for a couple of weeks.

<<<<< >>>>>

Before leaving M’Tzigon, Maenowan Telow’na had given both Ken and Jorya new identities with fabricated histories that would hold up even under the most intense scrutiny.  In fact, it had been Ken that had suggested that they go one further and assume the role of student/activists.  Jorya had brightened considerably at the mention of that and had suggested the University at Bar’leth.

Ken thought a moment, rubbing his chin like he’d often see his father do, but then shook his head.  “I don’t think that’s a good idea.  Didn’t your mom and dad do some digging over there?  I think it’s better for us to start fresh where no one will recognize us.”  He noticed that Jorya’s face fell.  “Jorya?  Are you OK?”

The Togruta sighed.  “I’m alright Ken.  No, you’re right; that’s smart thinking.  OK, not Bar’leth… Wait, how about Kalla, over in the Corporate Sector?”  Jorya smiled but Ken noticed that she almost unconsciously caressed a pendant on her necklace.  Something personal? The young koawan thought.  But then he quickly disregarded it, instead focusing on Jorya’s other suggestion.

The University on Kalla VII was a prestigious college run by the Corporate Sector Authority.  The institution heavily favored technical education, commerce, and administration, with minimal stress on the humanities.  And since it catered to wealthy and influential Authority families, it would dovetail nicely with their “rebellious activist” aliases.

Smiling, Ken said, “Yeah, that’s good Jorya.  We’ll just be some belligerent, rich kids with too much time on their ultra-liberal hands, rebelling against our parents.”

Jorya gave a small laugh, nodding.  “That’s what I was thinking.  And since we’ve had the ‘best education that credits can buy’ we won’t set off any warning alarms with our skill-sets.”  She grinned, her blue eyes looking into his light hazel.  “Nice working with you, koawan.”

This was an “in-joke” between them as they’d both been Knighted at virtually the same time.  Ken drew himself up to his full height, as tall as Jorya.  He adopted a pedantic look while he took on a tone of self-mockery.  “Yes, yes.  A Knight must know these things.  No time for younglings.”  He drew his robes up on one side as if grasping a tome.  “Nice working with you, koawan.”  And almost as soon as he faced her, they both broke out in laughter.

Suddenly, they heard a quiet cough from behind them.  Both turning, they saw Maenowan Telow’na grinning at them.  “Excuse me but I believe that you two have orders to attend to…?” And then she winked to take any sting out of her admonition.

“Yes, maenowan, sorry.”  Ken dipped his head in respect as he headed to the Wayfarer, Jorya right behind him as she intoned her own deference.

“Yes, ma’am.  Thank you, master.”  And then they ran to join their parents waiting on Pad Three.

<<<<< >>>>>

“Shrialla, please accompany me now.”  Kal’Estp’s voice called from beside Jorya.

Looking up from the datanode, she distractedly spoke, “…Sorry, sir?  I’m working on the firewall exploit that you gave me…” She squinted back at the monitor, writing the necessary code.

The Siniteen stepped closer, careful to never come into contact tactilely; even in this short of time, Jorya had noticed that Kal’Estp really didn’t like to be touched.  “Young lady, you are beckoned.  Now, come with me.”  His pupilless yellow eyes were…disconcerting.

“OK, sir.” Closing down the datanode, she stepped up beside the Siniteen, quickening her walk to match the taller alien’s.  “Might I ask where you’re taking me?”  She did a scan of the hallways as they passed, using a Mental Force technique that Mother had taught her.  It would help for her to remember the base in its entirety.

Kal’Estp was silent for a moment but then sighed.  “You’re going to see for yourself.  It’s no secret.  Scrubber has requested your presence.”

<<<<< >>>>>

Once at Kalla VII, Ken and Jorya had insinuated themselves into the student body without any problems.  Quickly learning which students had ties to subversive entities, they soon found a rally against “slavery in Hutt Space.”  From there it was a matter of staying after a few meetings allowing them to talk to the “real” organizers, one actually admitting that he “knew a guy who knew a gal who knew a member of the Sons.”  

It took a day and a half between the two, using credits—and whenever that didn’t seem enough, the Force—to set up a meeting with the member.  Upon meeting the Son, they saw that she was a former slave, a Caamasi incredibly enough.

“Forgive me, I don’t mean to pry…but aren’t Caamasi usually…pacifists?” Ken’s question silenced the small group.  The tall furry alien looked at the young man, drawing her claw into a fist.

“You are correct… Which is why I no longer consider myself of Caamas.” Her eyes lost focus.  “You see…we Caamasi have the ability to share and relive vivid memories; we refer to this as memnii.  Well, most Caamasi eschew violence as they will have to relive those memories…” She closed her eyes, her body involuntarily shuddering.  “…I…I already have memories that make those of violence pale in comparison: my time as a slave.”

Ken could feel her anguish, both in the Force as well as the Song, like a minor note repeated lacrimoso.*  He placed his hand upon her shoulder, the coarse weave of her robes in stark contrast to her soft fur, at least where it had not been burned off at the behest of her former master.  At his touch, the Caamasi sobered, looking first at Ken and then at Jorya, seeing unfeigned compassion in both of their eyes.

“I think we have some items of import to discuss.  I am Yras A’Rann.  Come, friends, let us share drinks together.”

<<<<< >>>>>

With an endorsement from Yras A’Rann, Ken and Jorya were given the coordinates of Teth III and invited to join other interested persons petitioning the Sons for membership.  Thanks to the hyperspace lanes and an upgraded hyperdrive, the Wayfarer made planetfall on Teth after only two days in hyperspace.

As the hyperspace tunnel collapsed into starlines and, finally, points of light of individual stars, the two young Knights were greeted by the sight of a small, pastoral terrestrial planet.  As Ken expertly piloted the Wayfarer towards the equatorial belt, they were soon hailed.

“Unidentified freighter, transmit transponder and Ident-Codes for docking.” A professional sounding voice challenged.  Ken and Jorya looked at one another, anticipation with an undertone of anxiety muting the mood within the cockpit.

Thanks to Yras (and Mak’Tor intel), they had all pertinent “identify:friend-or-foe” codes along with the actual “key” to grant access to the Sons main base: Jorya spoke from the co-pilot’s seat, “‘Soon the breaker of chains shall liberate with the fires of liberty.’”

Deafening silence followed, seconds slowly ticking by.  Again, the two Knights looked at each other, neither saying anything.  Then, just as Ken was about to speak…

“Confirmed.  Welcome friends to Aestis Minor.  Please make your approach along the southern polar orbital entry, following the south-most continent.  We’ll slave your nav-computer and bring her in once you hit the lower stratosphere.” This time the voice sounded a lot more friendly.

Ken made the necessary course corrections, all by manual.  While he was busy with the last minor trajectory alteration, he noticed the Togruta staring at him from her seat.  Self-consciously, he faced her, “What, Jorya?”  His voice held concern and consternation in equal parts.

She hadn’t blinked.  “It’s just that…you’re an incredible pilot.  I’ve seen my mother fly and she’s almost always all business but you… You’re a natural.”  Her red lips broke out into a smile.  “That reminds me, I had always wondered why my dad always let Mother fly.”  She gave a short, youthful laugh.  “Imagine my surprise when I found out my dad can’t fly; he doesn’t know how.”  Her blue eyes gleamed.

Ken grinned.  “Really?  Maenowan Zearic doesn’t know how… Well, I never would have guessed that.” As he spoke, he felt the Wayfarer subtly shift, indicative of the change from Ken’s manual to the remote piloting from the planet.  Crossing his arms, Ken turned at the waist to face Jorya.  “My own father taught me almost as soon as I was able to reach the controls.  ‘Be prepared’ is a maxim that he always drills into me.”  For a moment, Ken looked wistful.  “I…sometimes wish that he were with us now.”

Jorya nodded, her face mirroring Ken’s.  “Me too, Ken.  I’ve only been on missions with my dad and Mother.  It’s…kinda scary what we’re doing, now.”  She reached out, putting her hand on his shoulder, a serious look upon her face.  “Ken…I wanted to thank you…for saving my life…back at Geonosis.  I was scar…terrified.  I…felt Mellichae behind me and what he was going to do…”  She gave a tentative smile.  “I just wanted to thank you.”

Slightly embarrassed, Ken turned his head to look out the canopy.  “Hey it…it was nothing.  You’d do the same.”  Then he suddenly had a lopsided grin.  “Hey, if you want…I could show you a bit of ‘Mak’Tor’ piloting, teach you how.  If you want, you know.”  He sounded casual or at least what he thought his father sounded like that.

Jorya’s eyes lit up.  “Oh, thanks Ken!  I would love that!  Like I said, Mother is so serious when she’s teaching me.”  She giggled.

Ken gave a short laugh, looking through the canopy as they continued to descend.  They were now low enough in the sky that they could make out landmarks.  All along the flight path they saw huge, red rocky plateaus give way to some tropical fauna and then to a dense, green-blue jungle canopy.  While the Wayfarer traversed the continental rainforest, they saw that a huge river cut entire swathes through the canopy, often ending in rushing waterfalls.  They noticed that most of the landscape had large mesas, some of them stabbing through the jungle, others almost completely covered in vegetation.

“By the Maker…” Ken heard Jorya exclaim.  He had to agree; in front of them was one of the largest mesas, covered in foliage, jutting rock columns, even a few waterfalls.  And tucked away under the canopy, a large void that was effectively hidden from any and all orbital surveillance.  Ken thought that it would even be hidden from flybys as it was only visible from direct line-of-sight.  He’d grown up on M’Tzigon—which was verdant and beautiful—but it did not have anything quite like…this.  

As the Wayfarer pierced the blackness of the void, they saw that it was in fact a large, defended entrance to a hanger bay.  “…This could have been a docking station in one of the Core Worlds…” Ken said, his voice preoccupied by the sheer volume of the berthing port.  “…It must take up the entire mountain…” Ken’s eyes were round from disbelief.

“Ken.” Jorya’s voice was quiet and deathly serious.  “Look.”  Pointing, she indicated a ship partially hidden by a Raider Class Imperial corvette.  Ken leaned forward to get a better look.

Its sleek design was only matched by the aggressive posture of its form.  Unlike a standard starship, there was no canopy, no apparent door, and landing gears; it floated half a meter above the deck.  “…By the Maker…it…it looks like…your father’s dagger… Two, try scanning that ship.” Two twittered something that Jorya didn’t understand but Ken merely nodded.  “No, I’m not surprised that you can’t read anything, Two.”  

Jorya sat speechless.  Even Father’s dagger doesn’t…absorb light like that ship…she thought.  “…I’ve never seen anything that…black…”  

It was.  The light around the ship conspicuously dimmed.  If not for Jorya’s superior eyesight, Ken thought he would have missed it altogether.  Even as his eyes stared at the ship, he noticed that it didn’t even reflect ambient light. I wonder if this ship has the same properties as Maenowan Zearic’s dagger… Ken pondered.

The Wayfarer gave a sudden jolt, a loud clang reverberating through the ship as the landing struts connected with the deck.  Sloppy landing… Ken thought, immediately knowing that he could’ve done better.

“Well…let’s see who’s home.” Ken attempted to make his voice light and indifferent.  He didn’t quite succeed.  But as he looked at Jorya, he saw the tightness of her eyes.  “I’ll be right there; I need to lock out our nav-computer.”  The Togruta nodded, leaving Ken by himself.  When he was certain that he was alone, he pinged his comm.  “Two?  Come back please.”  After a moment, his comm erupted with the whistles of Two’s expletives.  “Two, language.”  Two retorted with a crude sound.  “Not now, listen; this is important.  After you lock the nav-computer, I need for you to keep an open channel as well as a constant monitoring of any and all transmissions, standard encrypt and sent in microburst to the nearest Healer’s Station.”  Two made an inquisitive chirp prompting Ken to pause.  After a moment, he shook his head.  “No, Two.  No need to let Jorya know.  And don’t ping my comm; I’ll come during the evening for any datadumps.”  With that, he joined Jorya at the bottom of the ramp.

There was an orderly swarm of activity going on in the hanger bay: maintenance crews changing out parts, thumbing datapads, and checking ordnance pods as the ships’ pilots consulted them for updates.  Several refueling hoverskiffs were adding needed coolant for weapons- and propulsion-systems.

“It…reminds me of a...an old Rebel Alliance base.” Jorya said out of the corner of her mouth.  And like the Alliance of old, a multitude of species were represented in the personnel throughout the hanger bay.  Ken nodded, pulling on the glove for his right hand, hiding his cybernetic replacement, carefully scanning the inside of the enormous berth.

“Ah, our newest recruits.  Welcome to Eurydicen Base!”  The voice that greeted them from behind had the tinny quality of a rebreather filter.  The two young Knights turned, seeing a Kel Dor and a Gran approaching them.  “Yras sent word to expect you two.”  As they extended their hands, the Kel Dor spoke.  “I’m Ornil, CAG* of this operation.  And this fine lady is Ixui Tardun, our Recruitment Officer.”  They all shook hands, easy smiles and slightly wary eyes belonging to all four.

“Ladies, pleasure.”  Ken smiled winningly.  “My associate is Jorya Shrialla, freshman of Kalla VII; I’m Ken Belanger, sophomore of the same.”

*****************************************************************************************************************
lacrimoso: tearfully, sadly
CAG: Commander, Air Group

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 06:35:10 PM »

Chapter 2: Infiltration, Part II

After the pleasantries, Ixui took possession of the two, giving them the proverbial “nickel tour” of the base.  To say that it was colossal was an understatement; the base proper had two-dozen sub-levels excavated out of the bedrock with a footprint covering over thirty-five square kilometers.  There were four more mesa hanger bays, each able to operate independently.  Eurydicen Base was virtually self-sufficient: an underground river provided for all water needs along with near-limitless hydroelectric power, the local fauna was edible and which also attracted several types of animal, most delicious if properly prepared.  A solar-powered, thermal/optic dispersion net covered all electronic signatures, making the base invisible to all surveillance.  

Several different departments were located throughout the complex, each one assigned to an “under-lieutenant.”  These “under-lieutenants” served under a “capo” which comprised a “general staff” both in function as well as agency.  But above them, there were only two beings that had full authority of the Sons: Scrubber and Black Armor.  And even as Ken and Jorya asked about Black Armor, the answer was almost always an iteration of “I don’t know.”  But one and all, they felt that this base was where they belonged.

Indeed, for the Sons of Kessel, it was home.

After learning the ropes, both Ken and Jorya were separated and given a battery of tests, intellectual as well as technical.  “To ascertain where you’re best suited for the Sons.” Ixui explained.  Lasting the better part of two days, Ixui placed Ken in Ornil’s Air Group given his superior piloting; Jorya was assigned to Kal’Estp’s Intelligence section as an expert slicer.  

Which was where they were both worked 19 out of a standard 27-hour day, for almost two straight standard weeks.

Until they were summoned by Scrubber.

<<<<< >>>>>

As Ornil and Kal’Estp departed, Jorya and Ken stood in a large, fairly utilitarian room as far as furnishings but the view… It was exquisite.

Looking out of the polarized transparisteel floor-to-ceiling window, the pair of Knights saw one of the most splendid water falls cascading down the mesa side, pooling just below the window itself and then falling a second, longer drop.  A plethora of richly colored fauna surrounded the falls along with the green-blue leaves of the lush forest canopy below.  And sequestered as if in a tableau all its own, a lode of crystal latticework ran in vibrant light blue-to-yellow-green veins within the rock strata, a brilliant contrast to the red sediment.

“Incredible.” Ken whispered, closely followed by Jorya’s own amazement.

“It’s beautiful…” She said.  And so it was that they did not hear anyone enter, or see the hidden door that they entered from.

“Yes.  That vista is the reason that I chose this as my office.” The voice behind them sounded eloquent, assured yet…not exactly refined.  As Ken turned, he was reminded of a travelling merchant that he’d met when his father had taken him off-world on a diplomatic mission.  The two voices were identical.

“I am glad that you’re here.  I’ve heard incredible things about you both.  But please, forgive me for not seeing you sooner.  I am Scrubber.”  The Togruta held out his hand, first shaking Jorya’s and then Ken’s hand.  As he did so, he spoke to each in turn.  “Jorya, it’s my pleasure to see a fellow Togruta.  Kal’Estp tells me that you’re his best slicer, and that’s saying something coming from ‘Big Brain’ himself.”  Scrubber’s hard look and many scars were at complete odds with his welcoming behavior.  His piercing yellow eyes focused on her lekku.  “It’s a good replacement…my condolences for your loss.  Believe me when I say: I know what it feels like.”  Deliberately, he pulled his one remaining lekku.

“…How…how did you know?” Jorya stood shocked, her large blue eyes wide, her hand still grasping his right hand.  Meanwhile, her left began to gingerly touch her cybernetic lekku.

Scrubber shrugged but he had a look of solace upon his scarred face.  “Please, don’t be self-conscious.  I am sure that to almost everyone else, they cannot tell the difference.  Alas, I have…intimate knowledge of such matters.  It’s a quality replacement…I’d say either Chandrillian, Corellian or Hapan by the make…”  He looked at her, noticing the look of shame upon her face.  “I don’t mean to pry but…did you lose your lekku to violence?”

Jorya looked to the ground, slowly nodding her head, her jaw working but no words coming forth.  Scrubber nodded and gently put his finger to her chin, raising her head until her eyes were directly in line with his.  “Do not think…that.  Instead: wear it proudly, like a badge of honor, testament to your bravery.  For you are brave, especially for one so young…” Slowly, Jorya smiled and gave a small nod of thanks.  

Turning to Ken, Scrubber took his hand, shaking it in welcome.  “From what Ornil tells me, you’re quite the ace pilot.  I can’t tell you how lucky the Sons are to have you.  We need all the good pilots that we can get.”  He looked deliberately at Ken’s gloved right hand.  “I don’t think I recognize the manufacture of your cybernetic but it’s good, very good.”

Releasing his hand, Scrubber stepped back…and into the deepest shadow.  Or so it seemed; both Ken and Jorya started as they finally realized that Scrubber was not alone.  Virtually undetectable in the only shade in the corner of the room, Black Armor stood, looming over Scrubber like some shadow-wight of Mak’Tor myth.  …By the Maker… thought Jorya …he’s even wider than Father and taller than Master Karmack!

Even as Jorya was sizing up Black Armor, Ken recovered, extending his hand to the silent, hulking being.  “Pleased to mee—” but was cut off when Scrubber, gently but firmly, grasped his outstretched hand before he touched Black Armor.

“Forgive me but don’t do that.”  Scrubber’s eyes had a deadly look about them that had not been there before.  Ken and Jorya’s breath caught, both on the verge of opening themselves to the Force.  But Scrubber indifferently dropped his hand holding Ken’s wrist, walking towards the window on the far wall before turning to face them.

Scrubber looked deep into Ken’s light hazel eyes and briefly at Jorya’s before focusing on the lithe young man.  “I’ve asked you here because, put simply, I know that there is something…special with both of you.”  Even as Scrubber spoke, his attention now on Jorya, Ken reached out first with the Force and then in the Song towards Black Armor.  Nothing.  Nothing at all, not in the Force and not even as a coda in the Song; it seemed to Ken that Black Armor simply…wasn’t there.  Mentally shaking his head, Ken focused on the present.  “…and I was told that you’re both activist students at Kalla.  I just want to know…how far are you willing to go in service of the Sons?”

Before Ken could talk, Jorya spoke, her voice full of conviction.  “Scrubber…we’ve both been subjected to adversity and have seen first hand the tyranny around us.  We’re willing to go as far as it takes to ensure that no person should ever suffer as a slave.”  

Jorya’s blue eyes were hard…almost like her Father’s, Ken thought.  But he also was worried about what she’d said; after all, he hadn’t agreed to…that.  But instead he said, “Scrubber, we see the evil that slavers represent and want to end the deplorable institution that is slavery.  That’s why we’re here.”  Ken paused for a moment to get a breath before continuing.  “You see, we’ve—”

Scrubber held up his hand, interrupting him.  “Ken…Jorya.  I—of all people—understand that things that have occurred in the past often become…regrets.  That is why what is in the past should be left there.”  He turned and looked out of the window, his gaze focusing on the waterfalls, his voice becoming wistful when next he spoke.  “Learn from the past…but do not live there… We must all progress; you, me, everyone…”  Scrubber’s head lowered, his face suddenly full of conviction.  “Which is why the Sons must change.  That is why you are here.  Not just to enact change but to be that change.”

Ken thought briefly on an old Mak’Tor saying that his father had told him: “Be the change you wish to see.”  And now with what Scrubber had said… Ken and Jorya stood amazed: they both noticed that as the Togruta had talked, the light of day had begun to fade.

“Change demands action.  And that is where the Sons must change the most.”  He looked at them in turn.  “And you both will help in that.  But first, we must prepare.”

Turning from the window, Scrubber led the two out of the office to one of the war rooms just down the corridor.  And within the Scrubber’s office, Black Armor finally moved.  Not to the window for the view nor towards the war room to listen.

He moved back to the secret door hidden in the office to a room that he and he alone could access.  And when the door shut, it was indistinguishable from the walls around it.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 07:35:06 PM »

Okay. That was awesome. Slightly disturbing, but wonderfully written. Scrubber is an interesting character, but I really want to know who this Black Armor is. And why the Sons have a ship completely built from the stuff. This story just keeps getting more and more interesting. I think Ken and Jorya are in over their heads, so it is a good thing they haven't come to take them down. That would probably need all of the Vhal'Dan and Mak'Tor.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 08:10:57 PM »

Dutchman, HOME RUN!  Excellent narrative, the characters are rich and full and the setting is absolutely AMAZING! 

Black Armor and his(?) ship are utterly mysterious and Scrubber reminds me of what John Brown might have been in 1860 if he'd had a little less impatience and a lot more savvy.  Or Fredrick Douglas as a terrorist instead of a statesman. 

And the base...  Yes.

Oh yes.  We're off to the races.  :-) 

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2018, 09:38:17 PM »

Excellent detail as always.. and Eurydice...Orpheus lover in the underworld...a fitting name for the base of a group trying to save people from living hell...Great bit on the camaasi and as the others noted Scrubber is great very compassionate but very intelligent...I have a feeling he and his friend know exactly who Ken and jorya really are and why they are there...

Lord_S_Gray

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: