Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Where to place the cover tech wheel on crossguard sabers  (Read 2405 times)
Goldldr
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 26

« on: January 12, 2018, 01:59:15 PM »

I am considering ordering my first crossguard saber and was considering the options for the cover tech wheel placement.

Anyone who owns a flamberge or renegade and have a cover tech installed, have you actually worn it off your belt or worked out some other option?  If you place the wheel near the pommel, is it too much weight  swinging by your leg?  If near the hilt, how is it for draw, interfere with movement etc.

I am sure I am overthinking this, but while saving money for the purchase I am trying to consider practical details.  I am looking at a flamberge v2.

Thanks for any advice from folks who have one is appreciated.

-Goldldr

Current Saber Collection (?=mystery box pull, *=raffle prize)
Consular (Diamond)
Flamberge v2 w/ renegade LE emitters (Diamond)
Azure Reaper Obs4 tri-cree CG
Crimson Scorpion ObsL FO (?)
Liberator v3 stunt FO (?)
Sentinel v4 ObsL AS (?)
Aeon v4 stunt FO (*)
Dark Apprentice stunt FO (?)

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 02:10:20 PM »

I don't own one, but if I did I would do the pommel end on the rear of the saber. If it is on the sides, the crossguards will be pressed against your legs. I'd also worry that the weight of the crossguards might cause it to flip upside down, and I think it would look funny, overall.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Goldldr
Knight Officer

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 02:34:33 PM »

That is exactly what I was thinking as well, and I believe it should be placed rear near the pommel.

However, that is a lot of weight swinging when you walk, so I was curious if anyone had a different experience, or maybe no one actually wears their crossguard saber due to weight. 

-Goldldr

Consular (Diamond)
Sentinel v4 ObsL AS (?)
Aeon v4 stunt FO (*)

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 03:59:31 PM »

I've not worn my US crossguard, it's a bit large to wear (I imagine that's why it doesn't come standard with the wheel).

Goldldr
Knight Officer

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 05:13:20 PM »

Yeah, the weight and size is my general concern.  I do wonder about rigging up a baldrick and wear on my back.  Could be interesting.

Thanks for the response.

-Goldldr

Consular (Diamond)
Sentinel v4 ObsL AS (?)
Aeon v4 stunt FO (*)

whynotv2
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -4

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 07:33:06 PM »

I am considering ordering my first crossguard saber and was considering the options for the cover tech wheel placement.

Anyone who owns a flamberge or renegade and have a cover tech installed, have you actually worn it off your belt or worked out some other option?  If you place the wheel near the pommel, is it too much weight  swinging by your leg?  If near the hilt, how is it for draw, interfere with movement etc.

I am sure I am overthinking this, but while saving money for the purchase I am trying to consider practical details.  I am looking at a flamberge v2.

Thanks for any advice from folks who have one is appreciated.

-Goldldr

I'd figure out how to wear it across your back Darth Braveheart style Smiley

Cole's Law: Thinly sliced cabbage.

Current US Sabers:
Initiate LE v4 - windowed-AV-AB
Dark Sentinel v4 - Obs Lt-AV-GB (open pommel)
Dark Sentinel v4 - Obs Lt-AV-CG (solid pommel)
Dark Liberator - AV-CG
Dark Apprentice LE v4 - AV-FO
Aeon v3 - AV-GB

Other Sabers (self-constructed):
Vader variant “If Vader lived”
Bastard-type standard + shoto magnetic

DarthScrub
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -580

Fin Fus Fent Stin Zu'u

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 10:23:45 PM »

I don’t have a cross guard saber, but if I did order one I’d actually place the covertec wheel near the emitter just so it wouldn’t swing as I walked with the covertec towards the pommel

Want a custom avatar? Shoot me a PM, you can view my work here!

Samhain138
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Aw, crap.

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 01:13:16 AM »

Interestingly enough, the cross guard I was wearing with my Starkiller base coat kept getting the side emitters caught in the panels when I did a lot of moving around.

Carrionlord
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -24

Darkside

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 04:36:40 AM »

I don’t own one but if I did and decided to put a convertec wheel on it, I’d probably go with the emitter end, reverse side. It would probably set better that way. Personally I don’t think I would add one though. That’s just personal preference though.

“I will continue to study at your feet, Master. I will learn from your wisdom. I will discover your secrets, unlocking them one by one until everything you know—all your knowledge and all your power—is mine. And once you are no longer of use to me, I will destroy you.” - Darth Zannah to her Master, Darth Bane

Goldldr
Knight Officer

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 04:47:20 AM »

Thanks for all the responses.  I am going to spend some time this weekend researching other methods for wearing/securing so large a hilt in my person.  Maybe a couple of leather straps securing the saber via snaps etc.  cover tech may just not be a great idea for something large like this.

-Goldldr

Consular (Diamond)
Sentinel v4 ObsL AS (?)
Aeon v4 stunt FO (*)

Burj Ironside
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 5

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 05:02:12 AM »

In your research maybe see if it is at all possible to holster it sideways on the back of the belt...similar to a sheath for a tracking knife? I can see the side emitters maybe getting in the way while seated, but as I was shopping for a new knife the picture of one of the sheaths gave me the idea.

*shrug* Figured I'd throw that your way. Best of luck!!

"The Dark Side? I've been there. Do your worst."

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 03:26:43 PM »

I do have a Flamberge and absolutely hate the idea of a covertec on it.  I would recommend a sword frog on your belt that sits at a 45. I have... recently taken a liking to using my Flam and will be making a frog for it at some point.

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Samhain138
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Aw, crap.

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 03:42:58 PM »

So I'm going to use this as an opportunity to mention something since someone mentioned the tracking knife sheath.  I swear when I first saw TFA (or the material leading up to it), Kylo wore his saber sideways on the back of his belt.  And when I watched it later it's not the case, he has a door lock mechanism on the side of his belt.  I guess I'm just crazy.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: