Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Swapping LEDs...  (Read 2823 times)
Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« on: January 12, 2018, 02:45:46 PM »

Hey guys!  So, I have kind of a dumb question.  I'm getting ready to embark on my first "real" attempt at customizing a hilt.  I have a nice Dominix V4 LE hilt but I want to swap out the LED with a different color.  What I'm stumped on is how do I get that LED out of the hilt?  Does it just tap out forward through the emitter?  Or do I need to remove the guts of the saber entirely?

Please advise!  Smiley  I'd rather not break something in my ignorance...

Karmack

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 04:22:09 PM »

If all you are swapping is the LED, just tap the LED out of the emitter and snip the wires. I like to cut about and inch and a half below the LED, just make sure you have enough wire in the hilt to easily solder (you don't want to be trying to solder a joint inside the emitter... pain the the butt) If you want a super detailed instruction manual PM me

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 05:46:28 PM »

Thanks Lady Agana!  That answered my question, I tried to gently tap the emitter out and it didn't seem to want to budge.  Its probably just some coiled wires not wanting to un-coil.  :-)  If it won't come forward I may take a thin dowel and push it out from the other end.  I just wanted to be sure there should be slack before I started to do anything else. 

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 05:50:00 PM »

No problem. Yeah I just tore apart an Aeon v4 so I am very familiar with the wiring.

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

npbro
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 06:13:36 PM »

I'm trying to do this exact same thing, good discussion. Don't have any soldering tools, but can look into getting them. I'm definitely not the type to tear something apart until I'm sure I know how to put it back together so, I'd appreciate a look at those detailed instructions too.

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 09:15:14 PM »

I'm trying to do this exact same thing, good discussion. Don't have any soldering tools, but can look into getting them. I'm definitely not the type to tear something apart until I'm sure I know how to put it back together so, I'd appreciate a look at those detailed instructions too.
What hilt? What internals?

Darkside Points Please

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 07:04:11 PM »

Another option a friend of mine suggested is to use small wiring nuts to twist the wires together and secure them with electrical tape.  Its bulkier, though, and you have to fit the wiring back in between the switch and the blade...  But if you can't solder this may work.  I don't know the specifics of power loss for one joint compared to soldering, though...

Darth Davester
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -132

Dark Side Points, please

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 11:12:27 PM »

It may be more work at first to set up, but some quick disconnects with JST connectors would make short work of changing colors.

I need to do just that on my Dark Arbiter.

I am one with the Force, the Force is with me.

Arsenal:
Dark Apprentice LE v5 Banes Heart Stunt-incoming
Dark Arbiter Consular Green Stunt
Dark Prophecy v3 Blazing Red Obsidian v4
Dark Sentinel LE v4 Arctic Blue Stunt

Necrodead
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 12:30:18 AM »

I am about to swap the LED's in 3 of my hilts, so it was nice to find this thread. I noticed that the wires on one of my LED units is pretty short though. It looks like I will have to solder the wire about an inch inside the hilt.

One question though, the resistors are specific for each colour, correct? IE the LED module needs to keep the same resistor it came with or it wont work. If someone could let me know - I think I'm correct but I want to be 100% before I start cutting wires.

Necrodead
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 03:36:45 AM »

My 2nd Aeon is now red, so I can make a staff with them now! and my dark liberator is VA. Am I ever bad at soldering, and the wires a so thin as well.

My sentinel is LED less since I had to cut the wire so short on that hilt. I think I will do a full custom build, but does anyone know how to get a guarded switch out?

Darth Davester
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -132

Dark Side Points, please

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 05:27:55 PM »

My 2nd Aeon is now red, so I can make a staff with them now! and my dark liberator is VA. Am I ever bad at soldering, and the wires a so thin as well.

My sentinel is LED less since I had to cut the wire so short on that hilt. I think I will do a full custom build, but does anyone know how to get a guarded switch out?

I took a look inside my Dark Arbiter and noticed that the switch seems to be glued in?

Now I'm wondering, is it hot glue or epoxy and i really would like to add 1/2" of length to the LED wires and install some JST connectors so I can swap LEDs out when the mood strikes.

I've seen other youtube videos where they glue in the switch and recharge port.

Can anyone chime in, I don't want to go in and mess anything up.

I am one with the Force, the Force is with me.

Arsenal:
Dark Apprentice LE v5 Banes Heart Stunt-incoming
Dark Arbiter Consular Green Stunt
Dark Prophecy v3 Blazing Red Obsidian v4
Dark Sentinel LE v4 Arctic Blue Stunt

Necrodead
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2018, 04:23:33 PM »

I took a look inside my Dark Arbiter and noticed that the switch seems to be glued in?

Now I'm wondering, is it hot glue or epoxy and i really would like to add 1/2" of length to the LED wires and install some JST connectors so I can swap LEDs out when the mood strikes.

I've seen other youtube videos where they glue in the switch and recharge port.

Can anyone chime in, I don't want to go in and mess anything up.

I read another post on the forum that said it was hot glue and you could heat up the area around the button to release the glue. However this was for an AV switch, I think I read on the ultrasabers site that the guarded switch was press-fit. When I look down the shaft there is no glue on the guarded switch. Looks like it might screw in.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: