Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
Author Topic: Discussion of "Solo, A Star Wars Story"  (Read 19516 times)
Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« on: January 13, 2018, 10:59:54 PM »

So in just 4 short months we will be treated to the 2nd movie in the Anthology films featuring the titular hero, Han Solo. Let me start by saying the first trailer is due to be released this coming Monday so we will get our first look at it past concept art.

A lot of mixed emotions for me when looking to this film. On one hand I'm excited to jump back into the space between Episodes 3 and 4. I believe that in ANH Han was only a few years older than Luke so if we go by the timeline and the approximate age of Solo in this film then we are probably looking at around 2-4 years before Episode 4 (or 2-4 BBY). That means lots of stormtroopers, lots of "Imperial entanglements", and lots of blaster fire incoming. I loved Rogue One for a ton of reasons but a main reason for me was how it was able to capture the feeling of the Original Trilogy pretty well. On the other hand, Harrison Ford is Han Solo to me so it will be a little more difficult to accept a different younger actor in the role. Plus, while Rogue One worked very well because it didn't focus on main characters I think this film could hit a few snags with the character of Han Solo because it will be under a magnifying glass.

Rumors are flying that they are going back for extensive re-shoots pretty soon. That could mean potential disaster if everything doesn't go off without a hitch, but it also shows that things weren't exactly all good in the first place. I really like the concept of the Anthology series so far and part of me really hopes that Solo is as good as Rogue One so that things progress with more movies (rumor has it that Boba Fett might have a prominent role in a future one.)

Penny for your thoughts?

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 11:07:14 PM »

I agree. I am both scared and excited. I get the feeling that it is going to kind of be a Star Wars/Cowboy movie, and I am hoping it will be super good.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

DarthScrub
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -580

Fin Fus Fent Stin Zu'u

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 12:56:05 AM »

I think Han was actually 29 in A New Hope, making him 10 years older than Luke and Leia. And the movie is set to take place when he's 18, making it about 10 years prior to the events of A New Hope :]

Want a custom avatar? Shoot me a PM, you can view my work here!

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 01:13:08 AM »

Hmm that changes the timeline a little bit. Puts us right at 10 BBY, not whole lot of major events happen around that time period which may be on purpose so they have some room to maneuver. 

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 02:32:15 AM »

While I would like to find out what Han pulled that would require a lot of guts to come to Cloud City afterward, I am wary about how they've dealt with the original SW characters thus far. The directors are the "pothead/stupid guys" humor type that had to be replaced with Ron Howard. But how much can he sort out what he received? The actor portraying Lando is capable, I think, but sometimes he can fall into the pothead humor when he's playing something relaxed. It just doesn't fit Star Wars. I don't know the Han actor. My expectations are this will be something that tries to be funny. I just hope it's not irreverent in a way that is outside the character's development. But, so far, TFA and TLJ took Han and Luke tangential to the character's cores. I don't have high hopes with a chance of meatballs.

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

DaddyFlip
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 37

^DarthScrub Avatar Mod!

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 04:33:15 AM »

I'm not sure what we're talking about - there's a separate series of movies that aren't in the 'natural progression' is what I've gleaned from other threads. Okay, so what's important is that the right actor is chosen for young Han and the writing is consistent with his character. I would imagine a young Han to be completely irreverent, so that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. What would be a deal breaker is the wrong actor.

Think back to ANH; I always characterize the OG trilogy as a spaghetti western set in space. Especially in the 70's, they didn't try hard to make the movies too serious. That's the issue today; there has to be serious socio-political issues included OR the writing has to be hyper-detailed, dark, and serious to be viable. I think a proper Han anthology film should stand apart from the 'norm' and border on the ridiculous; not a spoof, mind you, but with writing, acting, and directing consistent with the character we were introduced to in ANH. Anything more or less would be a disappointment in my mind.

Blacktooth25
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -92

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 06:19:46 AM »

I just read that this movie might be "underwhelming" compared to the other ones. I'm sure I'll enjoy it because it's not hard to impress me. Tongue But just like the other movies, don't expect it to rekindle your childhood emotions like the originals! Also, there is one thing we can be sure will be in this movie... The Kessel Run!!  Grin

Current Sabers:
Manticore (Diamond)
Dark Apprentice V4 (Obs Lt) Consular Green
Dark Initiate LE V4 (Obs Lt) Blazing Red
Dark War Glaive (Stunt) Guardian Blue

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 02:35:01 PM »

I'm not sure what we're talking about - there's a separate series of movies that aren't in the 'natural progression' is what I've gleaned from other threads. Okay, so what's important is that the right actor is chosen for young Han and the writing is consistent with his character. I would imagine a young Han to be completely irreverent, so that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. What would be a deal breaker is the wrong actor.

Think back to ANH; I always characterize the OG trilogy as a spaghetti western set in space. Especially in the 70's, they didn't try hard to make the movies too serious. That's the issue today; there has to be serious socio-political issues included OR the writing has to be hyper-detailed, dark, and serious to be viable. I think a proper Han anthology film should stand apart from the 'norm' and border on the ridiculous; not a spoof, mind you, but with writing, acting, and directing consistent with the character we were introduced to in ANH. Anything more or less would be a disappointment in my mind.

Every odd number year (2015, 2017, 2019) A numbered Episode comes out (7, 8, 9)  Then Every even numbered year (2016, 2018, 2020) An anthology film is released telling some story, that while affecting the larger story.. are basically side stories.  The first one was Rogue One about the theft of the Death Star Plans.  This is about a Young Han Solo.  The next has yet to be announced

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 08:29:57 PM »

Ron Howard is a very good director so hopefully some of his expertise rubs off on the project. As many have mentioned there is potentially a lot more at stake regarding main characters compared to Rogue One where the known characters were all CGI or Vader, actually I did like how they handled Mon Mothma, they found someone who was the spitting image of her. Less than 24 hours now till the trailer breaks...

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 12:18:34 AM »

I believe that the next one (though I don't think anything has been announced) might be an Obi-Wan movie.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 12:28:25 AM »

I believe that the next one (though I don't think anything has been announced) might be an Obi-Wan movie.

The Obi-Wan movie has been a rumor since they announced stand alone films...with their current track record I am not holding my breath

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 05:47:23 AM »

The Obi-Wan movie has been a rumor since they announced stand alone films...with their current track record I am not holding my breath

If they are even considering it then Solo will probably be the determining factor. Heck, the entire future of Star Wars anthology movies focused on main characters probably rests on the performance of this film. Ugh, that is a ton of pressure to combat.

DarthScrub
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -580

Fin Fus Fent Stin Zu'u

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 01:36:35 PM »

I just hope the anthology films aren’t just going to always be set between Episodes 3 and 4. IF they do an Obi Wan anthology, all I ask is that they bring back Maul, but that would require a lot of exposition for how Maul survived [for the movie goers who aren’t familiar with CW/Rebels]

Want a custom avatar? Shoot me a PM, you can view my work here!

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 01:45:04 PM »

So... Monday came and went with no trailer being released. Not really a very good sign, Disney is already pushing it really close. Episode 7 was of course a major film but as a comparison it released a teaser trailer a ridiculous 13 months prior to release date. Approaching 4 months out for Solo and nothing. Doesn't really inspire much confidence I'll admit. 

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 10:53:25 PM »

If they are really doing extensive re-shooting they may need to wait for that to be completed to do a real trailer.  I'm not holding my breath.

Honestly, the one that I think everyone really wants is the Obi-Wan movie.  And I will say this: I didn't have high hopes for Rogue One either, and it was WAY better than I expected.  So maybe low expectations are a good thing... 

LOL

Or not.

I'm kinda hoping we see how Solo acquired the Falcon in the first place.  I've always thought that the ship had a reputation before Solo acquired it.  Life events they could (and should) explore: Han becoming a smuggler.  Han and Chewie becoming a team (including the circumstances of the life-debt Chewie owed Han), the acquisition of the Falcon, and the infamous "Kessel Run". 

1,2,and 3 all leading up to 4, of course.  :-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: