Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
Author Topic: Here come the W-Olympics. What's your favorite event?  (Read 14517 times)
DaddyFlip
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 37

^DarthScrub Avatar Mod!

« on: January 14, 2018, 12:07:18 AM »

I "discovered" curling for the first time in the 2002 olympics. I was so psyched about it, I setup to record all the events on VHS tape during the 2004's. It's so easy now with satellite and DVR - I love watching curling; it's the only winter event I really like. What's your favorite event?

Incidentally, curling lends itself to the inclusion of light "sabrooms". I think I will copyright that idea right here so if US comes up with a Curling Sabroom and it takes off, I get a royalty for every one sold. Cheesy

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 12:54:19 AM »

I love speed skating and the snowboard... race where there are 4 athletes in an all-out brawl down the course, can't remember what it's called. Plus the hockey of course.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 01:27:26 AM »

Curling, only thing I will  sit down and watch.

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 01:38:41 AM »

Ice skating. I would argue that ice skating and gymnastics are the most physically demanding sports in the Olympics, requiring not only intense physical prowess, but also agility and grace to make it all look effortless.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 02:53:16 AM »

All mine revolve around Skating. Speed skating, figure skating and hockey. And I agree with Jev, they are definitely the most physically demanding.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Severus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -141

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 06:09:39 AM »

I've always like the bi-atholon, or any marathon cross country skiing like event.

But then again walking is one of my favorite summer olympic events.

It is not the side of the force we chose, but our actions that define us.
Dark Liberator-AS
Phantasm Staff -DVA

Blacktooth25
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -92

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 07:21:43 AM »

I remember seeing curling as a kid and thought it was the dumbest sport I ever saw. Now it is my favorite in Winter Olympics!

Current Sabers:
Manticore (Diamond)
Dark Apprentice V4 (Obs Lt) Consular Green
Dark Initiate LE V4 (Obs Lt) Blazing Red
Dark War Glaive (Stunt) Guardian Blue

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 07:38:16 AM »

Everything ... Love Olympic Games ... 6 hours of Jet Lag this year ... should be OK

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 02:13:37 AM »

Ice skating. I would argue that ice skating and gymnastics are the most physically demanding sports in the Olympics, requiring not only intense physical prowess, but also agility and grace to make it all look effortless.

Now try doing all that while trying to handle a little black rubber disk and being chased by a 200lbs defense-man who has every intent of smashing you into the closest hard surface.

And then this happens:

I'm a hockey girl, obviously. I also like snowboarding, curling, and Alpine skiing.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 01:53:12 PM »

Eh, but hockey players don't have to have the level of finesse an ice skater does. Plus, hockey blades are a lot thicker than figure skating blades, which give them more stability at the expense of the maneuverability. Also, hockey skates have a lot more ankle support, as they are more like boots. Figure skates are more like shoes.

Many hockey players would not even be able to skate on figure skating blades, let alone play.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 03:43:36 PM »

Eh, but hockey players don't have to have the level of finesse an ice skater does. Plus, hockey blades are a lot thicker than figure skating blades, which give them more stability at the expense of the maneuverability. Also, hockey skates have a lot more ankle support, as they are more like boots. Figure skates are more like shoes.

Many hockey players would not even be able to skate on figure skating blades, let alone play.

I bring you Carolina Hurricanes forward Jeff Skinner.
https://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2013/08/16/the-time-jeff-skinner-performed-a-single-axel-during-a-game-gif/

2004 Canadian Junior National Figure Skating Championships Bronze medalist, Juvenile Division.

It's actually not uncommon for players to also train in figure skating. A lot did it as kids too.

Also the differences in construction serve a purpose. The hard boot is actually to protect from stray pucks and slashes. I have a pair, a properly broken in pair is softer and offers less support than one would think. It's for protection not support.

Also I'd love to see most figure skaters try to be that agile and whatnot in a full set of hockey pads....some of them probably wouldn't be able to even skate with the shin pads alone restricting movement.

(Sig by me!)

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 02:57:44 PM »

After 3 days, lots of surprises and spectacular images Wink

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

DaddyFlip
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 37

^DarthScrub Avatar Mod!

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 03:35:50 PM »

Watched a little mixed doubles curling last night. US and Finland but both out of the finals.

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 03:41:40 PM »

Was disappointed by the biathlon sprint and very VERY happy by the female moguls freestyle skiing ... Wink

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 07:53:47 PM »

After 3 days, lots of surprises and spectacular images Wink

The women's hockey is shaping up to be a great tournament so far. Also that kid who won the snowboard slopestyle last night...literally petite. 5'5" 117lbs, but can fly. I think he's like 17 too, which is cool.

Can't wait for the women's slopestyle finals tonight, and big air later next week.

Curling has been cool so far, mixed doubles is a neat concept. Last night they were saying the IOC is planning to add more mixed events to the Olympic program for both seasons. Summer we will see a couple of mixed relays in swimming and track, and I'm hearing about some in speed skating, short track, and alpine skiing. I think mixing the genders is good, shows little kids that boys and girls CAN indeed play together, which is a wonderful thing that does a lot for inclusion.

Not gonna lie I've been enjoying figure skating as well. I've always enjoyed ice dancing, but now I find myself enjoying all of it. Those outfits are cute too, maybe I'll have to try this. Wink

Waiting for alpine to start tonight, I've watched some training runs. Looks like a nice downhill course, should be a fun competition to watch. Mikaela Shiffrin tonight! Yay!

(Sig by me!)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: