Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Author Topic: Here come the W-Olympics. What's your favorite event?  (Read 14518 times)
DaddyFlip
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 37

^DarthScrub Avatar Mod!

« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2018, 04:40:32 PM »

Things don't look good for curling. Both teams are 4-4 with one match left. Only way to get in a playoff to qualify for final is to win final match and have at least one of the current 5-3 teams lose to tie us. Otherwise, it's over. Been some good matches tho.

Other stuff: I don't care for freestyle skiing as an Olympic event. I've watched more hockey in the last week than in my life; I've enjoyed it. Although I didn't enjoy watching the Slovaks get beat down by USA... maybe they don't have big hockey there? Sledding was pretty enjoyable to watch this year. That's all I've looked at.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2018, 07:27:41 PM »

I didn't watch much because USA vs Slovakia(hockey) was on. The US Men's team lives to see another day! Now to take down the Czechs!

Czech beat Canada, I'm not sure we have much hope there.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2018, 08:13:08 PM »

Things don't look good for curling. Both teams are 4-4 with one match left. Only way to get in a playoff to qualify for final is to win final match and have at least one of the current 5-3 teams lose to tie us. Otherwise, it's over. Been some good matches tho.

Other stuff: I don't care for freestyle skiing as an Olympic event. I've watched more hockey in the last week than in my life; I've enjoyed it. Although I didn't enjoy watching the Slovaks get beat down by USA... maybe they don't have big hockey there? Sledding was pretty enjoyable to watch this year. That's all I've looked at.

Freestyle skiing is for skiers who wish they could be as cool as snowboarders, but won't switch to snowboarding.

And the Slovaks do have a very good and successful hockey program. There's quite a number of Slovakian NHL players, they're definitely a hockey people. In fact they auto-qualified for this by virtue of IIHF ranking, so definitely not pushovers. Normally the US would have gotten a bye to the next round, but this is not a typical Olympic ice hockey tournament. Most nations are quite hindered by the fact that NHL players are not there(thanks Gary Bettman!), as their best players are out of the tournament. This is particularly true of the US, Slovakia, Finland, and Czech Republic, though it effects just about everyone, except Russia and maybe Canada and Sweden.

The Russians professional league(KHL) is known for being basically the Russian NHL. A lot of their best players don't come over here, or if they do, don't stay very long. So the Russians were able to bring MOST of their best players(Kovalchuk, Datsyuk).

The Canadians are so deep as a nation, a lot of their "second tier players" are still better than a lot of the other nations best players. Sweden is pretty much the same. Asking people from those two countries "Did you play hockey at any point in your life?" is like asking an American "Did you play baseball?" 95% of the time, yes.

Finland has a lot of talent in the KHL, but most of their best are over here in the NHL.

Slovenia, Germany, Switzerland, and Norway(who has a grand total of ONE player in the NHL) teams look pretty much the same as what they would otherwise, minus a few key players. South Korea is in as the host nation, though they have some North American players whom were granted citizenship due to playing for some pro teams over there, if you're leaving the US or Canada to go play in the Asian pro league, you aren't all that great.

Nearly all of Team Canada and Sweden has NHL experience(that depth I mentioned), and Russia is all KHL players, many of whom have played in the NHL. Where as Team USA is made up of some ex-NHL guys, some career minor leaguers, plus a few college kids. I think the other teams may have resorted to handing anyone with prior ice skating experience some pads and a stick, and hoping for the best.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2018, 06:09:18 PM »

So the US Men are eliminated. Good run though, most didn't expect us to advance further.

Still a good day for Team USA overall. Our men's curling team made the medal rounds for the first time in three Olympics. Considering the start they got off to, this is a big victory in itself.

Lindesy Vonn went out(maybe?) with a bronze medal. Good for her.

The "Shib Sibs" won bronze in ice dance, another good result(let's be honest, no one was beating the top two pairs, aside from each other).

And... THE US WOMEN WON GOLD IN THE SPRINT RELAY!!!! We never win cross-country skiing medals. Ever. That's the first since 1976. That's what 42 years? That is the first gold for the US, regardless of gender, and the only women's medal.

Also the women won bronze in the team pursuit. Our first speed skating medal in the past two or three games. Very Nice.

Still some events to come, we should medal in a few(M/W Snowboard Big Air, Women's Combined and Team, , and could in a few others.

(Sig by me!)

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2018, 09:09:38 AM »

Sometimes, this country is ...

.... well, special Wink

Martin Fourcade won 3 gold medals in Biathlon during these games.
One of his personal sponsors is a group of cheese maker from the Alps Mountains.
The main sponsor of the French Team is a group of cheese maker from the Jura Mountains.

So, we have a kind of "War of the Cheeses" in the country ... Ok, it is more "Spaceballs" than "Star Wars"  Grin

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2018, 05:59:43 PM »

Wow. What a job by Team Shuster! Very big win for the gold!

Also Canada....wow. No team curling medals(they did win mixed doubles though), settling for bronze in men's hockey, and the silver in women's after a 20 year streak. Rapine, can you please confirm, is Canada still there?

(Sig by me!)

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2018, 06:56:21 PM »

Wow. What a job by Team Shuster! Very big win for the gold!

Also Canada....wow. No team curling medals(they did win mixed doubles though), settling for bronze in men's hockey, and the silver in women's after a 20 year streak. Rapine, can you please confirm, is Canada still there?

Maybe the big boss of the NHL will consider another position in 4 years ...

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2018, 08:41:42 AM »

Maybe the big boss of the NHL will consider another position in 4 years ...

I hope so. It's so much better when the best athletes in the world compete, regardless of sport. Hopefully the Russians behave themselves now.

Some closing thoughts, before this thread goes the way of the Games, and ceases for another couple years until Tokyo:

I'm really going to miss Lindsey Vonn, if this is indeed her last Olympics. I've admired her for years, as both an athlete, and a person. Her teammates seem to have only kind things to say about her, and it shows when she speaks in front of the camera, on her social media, etc. She's done a lot for women's alpine skiing in the US, and had a big hand in advancing alpine skiing in general here. It went from being thought of as a fun activity on weekends, to being taken more seriously as a sport. Though I suppose she COULD decide to come back, she sounded very sincere that this was her last. Luckily she's not planning to retire for another year or two, so I'm excited to follow those next seasons.

My future wife, Mikaela Shiffrin, look out, she's only going to get better in four years. She'll probably win a bunch more medals. I can't wait to follow her as well during the next "off years," should be fun to watch her progression.

Although I'm excited about a few medals that show some improvement in certain sports, as a whole, I think team USA could have done better. This was our worst showing, overall since 1998. Although we did medal in 11 different sports, which is the most overall.

We did very well in snowboarding and freestyle skiing, as was expected. I don't believe that's in any danger of changing anytime soon. If anything, I think we do better next games.

As a curling fan, it was very nice to see that gold, that was a huge improvement and should give the sport a nice boost, perhaps we can continue to be a contender in years to come. The sport is gaining popularity here, in fact I even saw it televised a bit between 2014 and now. It was a hit in Vancouver 2010, but that didn't seem to carry over past the Olympics. After Sochi it kept enough of it's popularity to be televised, at least a bit, during the off years.

That cross-country skiing medal was great for cross-country skiing as a whole, regardless of gender. Maybe the start of something? We'll see.

We won a bronze in speed skating, women's team pursuit, which is a small improvement for a program that has gone down the drain quickly, having won no medals in 2014. Hopefully that's a kick in the right direction to getting back on track.

Short track has also gone down hill. Apollo Ohno was the life blood of that program, and he's proven difficult to replace. I don't see anything that looks like something we can build around, so sadly I think it might be the same in Beijing, unless someone pops up between now and then that could be that person.

Sadly, it seems the bobsleigh program was(rightfully so) hit extremely hard by the sudden passing of Steve Holcomb. I think we may recover, but it will be difficult. Bobsleigh, luge, and skeleton are at a massive disadvantage. It's hard to get involved the danger and expense not withstanding, there's a grand total of two tracks in the entire country, precluding most of the population due to geographics. I see us being what we always are, also rans who sometimes medal.

Figure skating? I don't think it'll get better, unless that program rebuilds. A lot of these countries seem to take it beyond seriously, whereas we just take it seriously. I'm not advocating churning out little figure skaters in "factories" like the Russians and others are, but perhaps we could do something? I don't know, but it'll only get worse if something doesn't change. Perhaps they should look to the USA Gymnastics program for inspiration.

I'm honestly amazed we suck at biathlon. There's guns, we love guns here. Seems like it would be a match made in heaven, as far as winter sports go, but apparently not. Weird isn't it? I'd expect rednecks to see that on TV and go "Oh, they shoot rifles in biathlon! I love this, I'mma go buy me some skis and one of them there rifles and try to make the Olympics!!!!"

It's nice to be on top again in women's hockey! Twenty years of playing second fiddle to Canada was disappointing. The program didn't suffer, and it might get a boost now, though I'd argue it doesn't really NEED it, but more girls playing sports and more people(period) playing hockey is a good thing. As far as the men go, no one expected us to go anywhere, after all our best weren't allowed to come. The program won't suffer. Most boys aren't really dreaming of playing hockey in the Olympics, they dream of being NHL players with the Olympics a nice bonus.

That brings me to alpine skiing....sigh. I'm mixed here. Very proud of Mikaela Shiffrin, she did well. Lindsey Vonn too. She's older and not quite the skier she once was, but still one of the best in her disciplines. Beyond those two, what the hell happened? A lot.  Part of it is growing pains, as we go through this transitional phase. Bode Miller is retired to the announce booth, Ted Liggity and Vonn are bowing out now as well, Julia Mancuso is also retired now. That leaves Mikaela alone at the top, for now. But we do have some promising skiers of both genders waiting to step up. I think Beijing will be better, I don't expect USA Skiing to go the way of the speed skating program. They'll be just fine in four years. I'm disappointed in the showing, but as a fan I look forward to the future.

NBC's coverage as a whole was a bit disappointing. Some of these announcers truly know nothing about the sports they're commenting on, and it shows. And some know a lot, but aren't great at commentary. Bode Miller is knowledgeable and really knows what he's talking about, but his speech skills need some work, I was practically put to sleep by his commentary at times. Johnny Weir needs to just disappear. I'm fairly certain most of my inability to truly get into figure skating is due to his grating on my nerves. Tara Lipinski is only marginally less annoying. Those two together...ugh.
NBC at least committed to focusing on airing as much live coverage as possible this time, despite the 14 hour time difference meaning events were often shown at wee hours of the morning. It seems like they're learning slowly how to compete with things like event results getting out on social media, and spoilers in general. Though there's still a very American bias. I understand the Americans being the focus of the American media coverage, but it shouldn't come at the expense of the event itself. For instance, the alpine skiing coverage often consisted of "show Shiffrin and Vonn, and whoever is on the podium, then cut to something else." I hated the constant jumping back and forth between events. One night was literally "show Lindsey Vonn and maybe a couple other runs, cut to snowboarding, back to alpine quickly, then show an hour of figure skating until they break for local news, then come back with some more snowboarding, alpine, and even more figure skating. Showing whole events, but only if you're willing to flip channels three times to see the next part. And I get that figure skating is popular, but why am I getting notifications of all these great events, while figure skating is on both channels? I don't really need to see some Hungarian guy, whose name I, nor the announcers can pronounce and has no chance of medalling, prancing around in a sparkly, see-thru, sequined top with a routine that even I, as a non fan who knows nothing, can tell is terrible. Especially not when there's snowboarding going on. I understand this is a big event, there's a lot going on, and it's hard to cover everything. However NBC has a multitude of channels, that I don't feel they properly used to their full potential. Like the scenario above, figure skating on 2 of 6 channels showing Olympic coverage, meanwhile other events are getting cut, but those two are the only ones currently showing Olympic programming? Really NBC? I hope they do better next time, but then I don't hold up hope. It just seems to be getting a bit worse every time.

The opening and closing ceremonies are always very beautiful, visually. I love the opening because it fills me with anticipation of the events to come, as I take in the beauty of the visuals, I also get the beauty of that feeling.

The closing ceremony is always bitter sweet. I'm an Olympics junkie, especially Winter Olympics, so I watch literally everything I can. Two plus weeks of being glued to the TV, computer, etc. as I watch the events unfold, suddenly comes to an end. It's funny, the past couple days, I was feeling a bit burned out, ready for it to end and anticipating having more options for my free time. The late nights, early mornings, and sleep deprivation caused by a 14 hour time difference took it's toll. "Olympics fatigue" I've heard it called, but then it ends and I immediately want it back. Then today came and there wasn't much going on. The skiathon and men's hockey final in the morning were the only events on tap, then some documentaries from NBC, all leading up to the closing ceremony in prime time. This is when it starts setting in, that it's coming to an end. Then I watch the closing ceremony, and it really hits me, this is it. Tomorrow I will wake up, and there will be no Olympics. No flipping through the same few channels, seeing what's on and deciding what's more important to me. It's back to life as normal. It's always weird for the first day or two, not knowing what to do with myself, what to watch. You know that feeling you get when you finish a show on Netflix, and after a few days or weeks or months you watch the last episode, then you kinda don't know what to do with yourself? That's the feeling I get after the Olympics. Ah well, it's good to have time to do things I've put off until the games were over, like start working out again. Which I was motivated to do even more so by seeing these athletes in their prime and great shape.

PS: Really sorry for the long wall of text, I didn't intend to write a novel. Cheesy

(Sig by me!)

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2018, 10:08:33 AM »

I hope so. It's so much better when the best athletes in the world compete, regardless of sport. Hopefully the Russians behave themselves now.

Gary will have no choice as he wants the Chinese market ... and he is a businessman ...

And from a national point of view, these games are strange.

15 Medals is really good for us but many of our athletes make bad races considering their level ...

And biathlon: Fourcade won 3 gold medals but should have won 5   Roll Eyes

Grin

Metal Mech
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -84

Dark Force points please.

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2018, 01:31:20 PM »

Yeah NBC pissed me off with that event hoping. Especially since only they could air the Olympics here. Prior to the Olympics the wife and I were watching the Olympic channel. They had great coverage of events and compitetions leading up to the Olympics. They started and nothing. Regulated to only talk shows. Not a single bit of footage.
Hoping they are allowed to rerun the events now that it’s over.

Wishlist
Project Replica: Specter w/ Diamond Controller 36" HD Blade
Project Dark Twins: x2 Dark Initiate LE v5 Stunt Tri-AS 24” HD Blade
Project Silver Saber: Lost Grey v4 Obsidian AS w/GB FoC 32" HD Blade

Sent back for upgrade.
Empress v4 Sound Tri-AS 32” HD Blade

Collection
Customized Saber: Dark Mantis Emerald v3 Obsidian 37” V4 Blade (mods in progress)
Practice Saber: Dark Sentinel LE v4 Stunt BR 32”HD Blade

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2018, 02:49:25 PM »

Gary will have no choice as he wants the Chinese market ... and he is a businessman ...

And from a national point of view, these games are strange.

15 Medals is really good for us but many of our athletes make bad races considering their level ...

And biathlon: Fourcade won 3 gold medals but should have won 5   Roll Eyes

Grin

I think his trying to grab the Chinese market will definitely mean we'll see NHL players again. You can't not send them if you're serious about expanding to that market.

That's another thing I find a bit strange. 15 is good to you guys, but 23 is disappointing to us? I think Lindsey Vonn is right, we make it too much about the medals, when really it's about so much more. I think that focus is a bit inappropriate and devalues the experience a bit. I think we can improve in certain areas, and I don't think we performed to our full potential, but I am not disappointed.

Biathlon and cross-country are two areas I think NBC did well. They covered the event, not how the Americans did at the event, likely because Americans didn't do well at those, mostly. They focused on Forcade and the other top competitors, rather than all the focus being on Americans who come in 20th with no medal hopes. And of course, shirtless Tonga guy got his share of coverage. Cheesy

Yeah NBC pissed me off with that event hoping. Especially since only they could air the Olympics here. Prior to the Olympics the wife and I were watching the Olympic channel. They had great coverage of events and compitetions leading up to the Olympics. They started and nothing. Regulated to only talk shows. Not a single bit of footage.
Hoping they are allowed to rerun the events now that it’s over.

Yeah exactly! I can understand the Olympic Channel, since it's more of a "premium" channel, but a majority of people get CNBC, MSNBC, and USA. I suppose Modern Family reruns and talk shows/news were more important. Can't Rachel Maddow take a week off? USA Network is primarily syndicated programming, and it was frustrating seeing so little coverage on there. Especially when I get the note that a great event is just starting, figure skating on both main channels, and USA is showing a nearly ten year old episode of NCIS they no doubt have already run 10 times the past three months.  Roll Eyes

(Sig by me!)

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2018, 03:03:17 PM »

That's another thing I find a bit strange. 15 is good to you guys, but 23 is disappointing to us?

Sport are not considered the same way in every countries Wink

Here, there are too few professional ... considering winter sports, almost no one can live from his or her sport ... Fourcade has 5 gold medals (including Stochi) but most people in this country do not know him ...

The worst thing is that we have the biggest skiing domain in Europe  Grin

So, 15 is very good for us Tongue

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2018, 03:15:57 PM »

Sport are not considered the same way in every countries Wink

Here, there are too few professional ... considering winter sports, almost no one can live from his or her sport ... Fourcade has 5 gold medals (including Stochi) but most people in this country do not know him ...

The worst thing is that we have the biggest skiing domain in Europe  Grin

So, 15 is very good for us Tongue

I think our outlooks on sport are definitely different. Wink

(Sig by me!)

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2018, 03:38:27 PM »

I think our outlooks on sport are definitely different. Wink

As already said, here, sport is not considered like a normal potential career ... Sport is considered like a hobby. We do not practice high level sport in university for exemple ...

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2018, 04:18:45 PM »

As already said, here, sport is not considered like a normal potential career ... Sport is considered like a hobby. We do not practice high level sport in university for exemple ...

Yeah, it's the same here with certain events. I highly doubt Jessie Diggins is getting paid to cross-country ski for the most part if you aren't in hockey, basketball, swimming, gymnastics, snowboarding, or Alpine skiing, you probably are lucky to get any support, and don't make much if anything from your sport.

Vic Wild is a great example. He switched to his wife's country, because US alpine snowboarding program is just awful. No support, little opportunity.

(Sig by me!)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: