Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Curved blade ?  (Read 7800 times)
TR-77477
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -361

Join The Darkside ( We have cookies)

« on: January 15, 2018, 03:42:56 PM »

I’m working on a samurai inspired hilt. Has anybody tried to curve a blade.

"The Jedi and Sith wield the Ashla and the Bogan, the light and the dark. I'm the one in the middle, the Bendu."

Wish list---Consular--Flamberge V2--Omen

Make-A-Wish Donations

Dark apprentice v4 with FOC and basic sound GB -- Dark Apprentice LE v4 (Grab Bag) GB
Dark Apprentice v4 (Grab bag) BR -- Dark Apprentice v4 (Grab bag) BR

Gifted

Dominix V4--- Initiate V4---Graflex SE SD---Dark Apprentice v4 GB
Dark Standard issue CG at Dcon 2018---Six Mystery Boxes at dcon 2019

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 05:30:39 PM »

Could you be more specific with diagram/pics if possible.  You are wanting to curve an US midgrade blade ?  I'm thinking if that's possible... that there will be dead spots where minimal illumination gets through but need more details.  The only ones I've seen that are samurai inspired are those flat acrylic mostly for display blades.  

The concept including the saber itself seems quite interesting.  Smiley

JimmyJam
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -4

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 08:12:11 PM »

You would have to heat it at the area you want curved, this would entail removing the diffusion film, heating the tube with the cap on, bending and holding the tube as it cooled.
The problem is three fold:
1. Not getting a weak spot in the blade at the bend. A hair dryer might work but it might not be hot enough.
2. Not getting burn marks on the blade if you use flame.
3. Making sure the light goes through and diffusion film not crinkling.
Other than that it might work. Cool concept I hope it works out.

Points Please.

I fear no man, no beast, I serve no master... for I am the shadows, the darkness, I am the SITH.
   ~Lord Maelstrom~

Sabers: Raven Super Sith

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 09:38:13 PM »

I don't have the experience or knowledge of how to bend the blade, but I have noticed that if you leave your saber leaning against the wall at an angle, the blade gets a bit of a curve on it's own. You might be able to get a pretty decent bend out of it that way. Don't know for sure though.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 10:38:43 PM »

The only way I can think is using heat.. but you'll likely compromise the blade strength that way. As a display piece, fine, I would not dual with it.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

DarthScrub
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -580

Fin Fus Fent Stin Zu'u

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 10:45:09 PM »

How much of a curve are you trying to get? It SHOULD be possible using proper heat application

Want a custom avatar? Shoot me a PM, you can view my work here!

TR-77477
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 01:37:54 PM »

I've started with a standard hilt and have been modding it. So far I am happy with the way its going, although I still have a bit of time before it is needed. A friend of mine is doing a Samurai Stormtrooper and asked me to make something up. It does not need a major curve, just enough to give it that authentic look. I know that a US blade is made to take a beating and I do not think he will be doing any hard dueling with it. I noticed that If you try to bend a blade the film inside does not move evenly with the blade housing. This gives it a spot that will be highly reflective, I need to find a way around that.

"The Jedi and Sith wield the Ashla and the Bogan, the light and the dark. I'm the one in the middle, the Bendu."

Make-A-Wish Donations

Dark apprentice v4 with FOC and basic sound GB -- Dark Apprentice LE v4 (Grab Bag) GB

Gifted

DarthScrub
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -580

Fin Fus Fent Stin Zu'u

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 02:08:11 PM »

I’m not sure the film inside will bend well. Even if you took it out, bent the tube, then placed the film back in. It’d most likely still create kinks

Want a custom avatar? Shoot me a PM, you can view my work here!

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 02:35:00 PM »

I've conceived of this before. It would be possible, if you have the time, to apply a weight in the tip of the blade, and simply let the plastic......plastically deform. It's the biggest reason why I don't store my blades in my hilts. If you wanted to speed things along, you could use something like a hair dryer to apply some heat. But I am with those saying that the deformed blade would probably only be best suited for cosmetic use and not for dueling.

I’m not sure the film inside will bend well. Even if you took it out, bent the tube, then placed the film back in. It’d most likely still create kinks
I think if you put just the right amount of curve in, the film will react the same way it does when you flex a blade normally.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 03:32:13 PM »

While there will no doubt be some loss of light getting to the tip the more you curve it, I can't see it being a super substantial loss in illumination. Case in point, the "lightwhip" attachments made by "the other guys" all appear to be relatively bright and that is about as curved and flexible as it gets. Of course that is on video/pictures, in reality might be drastically different.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 03:40:38 PM »

While there will no doubt be some loss of light getting to the tip the more you curve it, I can't see it being a super substantial loss in illumination. Case in point, the "lightwhip" attachments made by "the other guys" all appear to be relatively bright and that is about as curved and flexible as it gets. Of course that is on video/pictures, in reality might be drastically different.
But, without getting into too many details, those are fiber optic. They are effectively solid blades and therefore work differently.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 03:42:43 PM »

But, without getting into too many details, those are fiber optic. They are effectively solid blades and therefore work differently.

So it is, my bad.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

TR-77477
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 04:18:13 PM »

I think I’ll go ahead and buy a grab bag blade and see what I can do with that one. That way if it fails dramatically I’m not out a lot of money.

Make-A-Wish Donations

Gifted

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 04:34:38 PM »

I think I’ll go ahead and buy a grab bag blade and see what I can do with that one. That way if it fails dramatically I’m not out a lot of money.
Good call

Sig by For Tyeth

OCTIGONWALLRUS
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 09:03:52 PM »

I would buy a piece of pvc or abs tubing that the blade fits in snug. cut it in half long ways. use four to six blocks and attach them to the cut tubing making the bend you want. you won't need much being a samurai blade. I would clamp down one side, heat very lightly with a heat gun and clamping as you go. you shouldn't need very much heat if any really. keep it clamped in the jig for awhile and hopefully it will stay bent. that is what the heat would help with.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: