Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Protective Gear on a budget  (Read 8201 times)
RookieDueler
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 20

« on: January 16, 2018, 05:01:08 AM »

So the first thing I should state is that the people concerned in this situation are between the ages of 17-20 and due to college and other activities (band) do not have much in the way of expendable money.

Some friends and I are planning on creating a sparring club for a means to geek out over Star Wars and have some fun indulging in our desire to compete with each other at the same time. With our planning, the first orders of business were to find two or three places to meet and then make a purchase of at least two sabers that were more than just display items or kids plastic toys. The sabers basically ate up my birthday money (quite happy about it too, Phantasm V2 artic blue and violet amethyst, can't wait), which was what we expected. Since we are already dedicated to investing most of our money elsewhere, we are coming up short on money to purchase protective gear, namely face/neck protection. We do have access to some heavily padded winter work gloves that we plan on using for the time being, but we are at a loss for what to do for cheap, effective, short-term face protection. I have no basis on how heavy our sparring will be, but most of us are guys and none of us do athletic sports.

Is there anything you guys here can recommend for cheaper protective gear that works well (looking for at a price range of $50-$100 for two people)? We completely understand the necessity of having proper safety equipment but also have a limited budget range for the time being. Would airsoft face protection work?

Sabers:

Phantasm V2 (Aeon V2 Saber Staff) - Arctic Blue and Violet Amethyst

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 05:09:51 AM »

This is what I have seen recommended.  You might also be able to find something for less on ebay.  If there is a fencing club at your school, check with them, they might also have resources.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ERWUNQM/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I25N7TLP6AET50&colid=2VSA5M51ZPIID&psc=1

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

kaanapuchris
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -53

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 05:40:06 AM »

Lax gear has a good deals on gloves. https://www.lax.com
Also lacrosse monkey
https://www.lacrossemonkey.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 05:52:50 AM »

If you are looking to go the super cheap route and don't mind re-purposing some existing sports equipment then several kinds of sporting masks would probably work. Football helmets, ice hockey goalie helmets, etc. Check out your local thrift stores and second hand shops, plus Ebay, Craigslist. Everybody is always getting rid of old sports equipment. Illyiss mentioned a fencing club and it might pay to also check out the sports groups at your school as they may be getting rid of equipment.

As far as neck protection, the fencing mask is tops I would say. An ice hockey goalie mask with the neck bar might be a close 2nd.

Some groups use minimal protective equipment or none at all like below... really depends on your sparring technique and how all out you are going.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0XVD0Ni6Xw

EDIT: kaanapuchris makes an excellent point with Lacrosse stuff, those helmets should work too.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 06:21:00 AM »

I don't really duel much (though I would like to), and I generally don't even use gloves (mostly because I forget to put them on), but if you use Midgrade blades, and are careful (say no headshots) them you could probably get away without even using a helmet, though it probably isn't the best idea.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Musashi Padawan
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 174

Warrior Poet

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 08:38:25 PM »

My advise is to NOT skimp on the gloves. Nothing will end your new sparring club quicker than broken fingers on the first night. Even with control, hands will get hit, it will hurt and the heaviest work gloves will not help. Try and find a used sports store or search craigslist for deals. Even bug friends and family that may have old gear packed away in the basement/garage. Usually a worn pair of lacrosse gloves can be scored for under $20. Build up from there and adjust your rules of engagement accordingly. Shoulder pads and hockey helmets are also cheap used. Maybe limit head blows and thrusts until you have some time to invest in better headgear. A very good fencing mask is only in the $60 range.
We usually tell new students that between an entry level ultra saber and some second hand gear, expect to spend around $200-250 total before they can safely spar at full speed.

On YouTube
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye." ~ Miyamoto Musashi

Ander
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 56

SErvizio, CUra, RIspetto

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 09:00:38 PM »

Oh wow that video! I haven't see it around for a while. I am even featured, from 0:24 to 0:30; I'm the red guy doing a poor interpretation of Form II (I did win that fight though).

To get back on topic, I suggest good padded gloves, groin protection and googles as a minimum.
My advice is, if you can, not to be too cheap, especially on eye protection. You DON'T want something that will break.
There is plenty of good advice in the thread, so be safe, and take care of yourself and your partner / opponent.

Andrea Ungaro | Ander
LudoSport form I, II, III instructor

Dean - LudoSport Alpha - Ordine delle Onde
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lscagenova/

Why you should not learn fighting on Youtube: https://goo.gl/mhh9Ns

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 12:30:00 AM »

I found...
Ebay. Lacrosse gloves. knee and shin guards. Elbow and forearm guards.
Goodwill. Sporting masks or motorcycle helmets.
...all for less than 50$ per person.

I've heard recommendations for using an athletic cup.

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 03:16:07 AM »

I would definitely use a Jock or Jill, just in case.

If there's one in your area, have you tried Play It Again Sports? You should certainly find some things there that will work, and shouldn't be expensive. Perhaps some used catcher's gear?

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

RookieDueler
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 20

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 04:55:16 AM »

I have actually found a website called sideline swap from which one can purchase used gear, which may be very helpful for lacrosse gloves

Sabers:

Phantasm V2 (Aeon V2 Saber Staff) - Arctic Blue and Violet Amethyst

Ander
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 56

SErvizio, CUra, RIspetto

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 08:34:23 AM »

I've heard recommendations for using an athletic cup.

I have been hit down there several times in my six years of practice, so DEFINITELY wear a cup XD

Andrea Ungaro | Ander
LudoSport form I, II, III instructor

Dean - LudoSport Alpha - Ordine delle Onde
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lscagenova/

Why you should not learn fighting on Youtube: https://goo.gl/mhh9Ns

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 03:39:41 PM »

The three most important areas to protect are, as you might have noticed, the head, hands, and groin.  Fencing masks, hockey/lacrosse gloves, and athletic cup form an excellent foundation for dueling gear, and actually cost very little.  Keep in mind that the cost of a hospital stay is going to be far more than any of this equipment Wink

I tend to find gloves on clearance at sporting goods stores for $10-20, you just have to keep your eyes open.  Fencing mask is typically $50 for a basic epee one (Absolute Fencing is a good source).

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 05:06:08 PM »

On fencing masks: I've seen people recommend alternative head gear like hockey helmets, football helmets, etc.  However, the main thing you're protecting the face from with the mask is a thrusting attack.  Most hockey/lacrosse/football headgear has an open face-mask that probably won't work well for that.  If you're going to splurge a bit, the fencing mask or kendo mask is the place to do it.

Trust me you can deal with a broken finger or bad groin strike better than a pulped eye from a badly placed stab...

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 08:27:21 PM »

Plus, fencing masks are SO CHEAP!  When you think about it, $50 isn't enough to buy the cheapest saber from Ultrasabers, so I think it's more than worth the expense to protect your eyes, teeth, and head.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 05:37:28 AM »

Plus, fencing masks are SO CHEAP!  When you think about it, $50 isn't enough to buy the cheapest saber from Ultrasabers, so I think it's more than worth the expense to protect your eyes, teeth, and head.

It's less than a hockey helmet with face protection as well. I'd recommend going the fencing mask route, though my recommendation means little.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: