Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Protective Gear on a budget  (Read 8204 times)
Master Althalus
Resident Master
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 39

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 07:13:45 AM »

so I think it's more than worth the expense to protect your eyes, teeth, and head.
The thing is, the primary function of any kind of head protection is another one: making it possible to HIT the opponent in the head. Without, the head will not be targeted (only by accident) and that will result in senseless blade-clashing. Fencing masks provide a safe target - add back-of-the-head protection and you can hit from every angle.
Most importantly, though, the bib provides protection for the throat. Blades slide and bounce on the mesh, swings miss - and some of them land on the throat. Getting hit there is not funny.

Having a really short neck, I've found no gorget that fits me, but bib plus fencing jacket has kept my throat safe in over 10 years of fighting with steel, wood and polycarbonate.
 Wink

Sabers
Emerald: Dark Mantis
Obsidian v4: Shock, Dark Initiate v4, Consular
Obsidian Lite: Aeon v4, Dominix LE v4
Stunt: Apprentice v4, Initiate LE v2, Aeon v4

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2018, 08:05:01 AM »

making it possible to HIT the opponent in the head. Without, the head will not be targeted (only by accident) and that will result in senseless blade-clashing. Fencing masks provide a safe target - add back-of-the-head protection and you can hit from every angle.

OH YESSS

You are right, this point is important. If the two opponents have good head protections, the two opponents can target the head and make the fight more realistic and interesting Wink

I will add little comments on what have been already said

Considering hand protection:
If you have a one hand style and if you love to make some spins during a combat, MMA gloves could be a solution. But be careful, there is less protection on the thumb and they should be used only in "friendly" combats.

Considering head protection:
Fencing masks are wonderful. And if you are skilled with a needle and a tube of glue, you can add some tissu parts around the mask to avoid/reduce the "bell ring" effect when you receive a blade in your head Wink

For example, this mask is mine, it is a HEMA fencing mask and i added tissu parts around.

Considering body protection:
I think you can find in every country. I use a Rugby body armor. It is added costs regarding to the original question of the topic but it gives a very good protection.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Master Althalus
Resident Master
Knight Ensign

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2018, 10:57:53 AM »

For example, this mask is mine, it is a HEMA fencing mask and i added tissu parts around.
You now, there are professional manufacturers out there, providing those things?  Grin
Like Allstar, PBT, SPES ...

The point with ALL protective equipment is: It's there to provide safe targets and protect against ACCIDENTS. No equipment in the world can protect one from an idiot bashing away at the opponent with a hard plastic stick - someone will get hurt, it's just a matter of time.
So, the first line of defense is - surprise - technique.
The second line is common sense: if you are a beginner and want to duel, slow down. Begin fighting in slow motion - that's actually a lot harder than most people believe.
Speed up only as your technique gets better and you'll avoid most accidental injuries.

Beginning with mask, gloves an cup, equipment can be added when speed and intensity increase - slowly, over time. That way, you'll stay safe AND develop better fighting skills at the same time.

Sabers

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 04:01:51 PM »

The thing is, the primary function of any kind of head protection is another one: making it possible to HIT the opponent in the head. Without, the head will not be targeted (only by accident) and that will result in senseless blade-clashing. Fencing masks provide a safe target - add back-of-the-head protection and you can hit from every angle.
Most importantly, though, the bib provides protection for the throat. Blades slide and bounce on the mesh, swings miss - and some of them land on the throat. Getting hit there is not funny.

Having a really short neck, I've found no gorget that fits me, but bib plus fencing jacket has kept my throat safe in over 10 years of fighting with steel, wood and polycarbonate.
 Wink

Good points.  I've always felt that eliminating the head as a target takes a huge chunk of the realism out of sparring, considering what a high value target it is!  Where possible, I second your recommendation about protection for the back of the head as well.  Full 360 degree protection of the head opens up all kinds of good combat methods, for instance passing the opponent.

Musashi Padawan
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 174

Warrior Poet

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 03:04:59 AM »

I didn’t mention before, but Motocross jackets are another decent, affordable option for body armor that we use. Shoulders, chest and elbows are well protected for only a $30-40 price point. The Kendo Tare is not “budget” gear, but it does offer good waist and hip protection while eliminating the need for a cup. Here I am in my mishmash sparring gear. 

On YouTube
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye." ~ Miyamoto Musashi

Master Althalus
Resident Master
Knight Ensign

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2018, 07:25:18 AM »

Motocross jackets are another decent, affordable option for body armor
Problem with that: points tend to catch between the plates and get directed right to some very vulnerable parts, like armpits. If thrusting is allowed, those things can quickly get dangerous.
Moreover, the protective plates are located somewhat wrong for fighting, leaving the ribs mostly uncovered, as the belly and collarbones.

So, yes, they can work, but from experience I can say that one should not put too much trust in them. After all, they are designed to lessen the impact of a motorcycle accident, not protect against someone hitting you with a weapon.  Wink

Sabers

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2018, 07:32:07 AM »

Problem with that: points tend to catch between the plates and get directed right to some very vulnerable parts, like armpits. If thrusting is allowed, those things can quickly get dangerous.
Moreover, the protective plates are located somewhat wrong for fighting, leaving the ribs mostly uncovered, as the belly and collarbones.

So, yes, they can work, but from experience I can say that one should not put too much trust in them. After all, they are designed to lessen the impact of a motorcycle accident, not protect against someone hitting you with a weapon.  Wink

Valid points indeed.  Anyone else ever get the impression that when discussing protective gear for impact combat, especially sword(ish) based, that people are always trying to re-invent the wheel, when thousands of years of history, where wars were fought with swords and similar objects already went through the evolution of protective gear (armor)?

Not so much talking about looking for affordable alternatives/options, but just in general.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Musashi Padawan
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 174

Warrior Poet

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2018, 10:56:09 PM »

Absolutely, especially the ribs as those are enticing targets ("Do" in Kendo) to most saber practitioners.  I also have to say, I would not put much trust in a $30 mesh shirt with some plastic sewn on to effectively lesson the impact of a motorcycle accident either!
I think we have mostly exhausted the original point of the thread, as all "budget" gear is essentially flawed in one way or another. Perhaps we should start a thread on "ideal protective gear" to give people with some resources an idea of how to invest in gear if they want to take it to the next level. 

On YouTube
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye." ~ Miyamoto Musashi

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2018, 04:10:23 AM »

Yeah, they're good for incidental protection, but any direct attacks hold potential danger.  Doesn't hurt to wear it (as compared to no protection at all), but you do have to keep the flaws in mind.

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2018, 03:08:13 AM »

Great advice in here. I agree with the Fencing Mask. We've used motorcycle helmets in Kali for as far back as I can remember. I brought in a Fencing mask one day and we've never looked back....some dents on it here and there, but better that than your head. Also, I know this was already said, but I going to emphasize it as well

Head, Hands and Groin. ( Nero mentioned this! )
I also require elbow protection in my group. ( I target the elbows and knees a lot. ) Knee protection is optional but most of my group throw those on as well.

If its going to be full contact with " Power " then add some chest armor. As for a budget, save up and get exactly what you need. If you have to wait a little bit, its worth it. Trust me.

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2018, 04:09:40 PM »

I would like to say that sparring gear from https://www.centurymartialarts.com/ is very useful. I have an almost full set of gear from them (I only need the chestplate) and it is lightweight and very durable and it provides decent protection and its not all that expensive.

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2018, 11:37:59 AM »

And a wounded finger for me despite of my gloves ...

... Once again my friends, put your protective devices ... ALWAYS !!!

Wink

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: