Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Learning the movements from Star Wars media?  (Read 8014 times)
LMychajluk
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -2

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 08:26:54 PM »

I was watching this Bo staff video the other night, and there's a pretty good view of a 'behind the back' spin. Should be easily adopted to a saber(?).

https://youtu.be/ENqMy1BU2-Y?t=200

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -631

Dark Side points if you please

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 08:51:18 PM »

As Taegin said, those of us who frequent the "spin zone" area of the forums are happy to answer questions and even make clarification videos for anyone who is trying to figure out specific moves or is having issues with moves. I'd agree to a certain extent that you can learn moves from the movies, games, etc. You just have to be careful and pay attention to what you're looking at. For example, The Force Unleashed games are very misleading for anyone wanting to learn reverse grip moves. Starkiller always runs around in reverse grip, but as soon as he goes to strike, you'll find that he is actually just using standard grip the entire time. The moves are just so fast that it makes it seem reverse grip is being used effectively. I'd say games or more useful for learning various striking patterns.

As for movies and other sources, I would say go for it, as long as you have a way of repeating the move (especially in slow motion). Youtube is an amazing resource. When I was first learning how to use a saberstaff, I would watch videos of Ray Park spinning one at conventions and was able to see (in slow motion thanks to YT) how he was doing it. I learned a lot using the speed feature of Youtube that way.

The other part of it is just taking your preferred saber type and going in the backyard and practicing. See what moves you can discover on your own. You'd be surprised what you can come up with just by messing around like that.

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 09:13:09 PM »

As Taegin said, those of us who frequent the "spin zone" area of the forums are happy to answer questions and even make clarification videos for anyone who is trying to figure out specific moves or is having issues with moves. I'd agree to a certain extent that you can learn moves from the movies, games, etc. You just have to be careful and pay attention to what you're looking at. For example, The Force Unleashed games are very misleading for anyone wanting to learn reverse grip moves. Starkiller always runs around in reverse grip, but as soon as he goes to strike, you'll find that he is actually just using standard grip the entire time. The moves are just so fast that it makes it seem reverse grip is being used effectively. I'd say games or more useful for learning various striking patterns.

As for movies and other sources, I would say go for it, as long as you have a way of repeating the move (especially in slow motion). Youtube is an amazing resource. When I was first learning how to use a saberstaff, I would watch videos of Ray Park spinning one at conventions and was able to see (in slow motion thanks to YT) how he was doing it. I learned a lot using the speed feature of Youtube that way.

The other part of it is just taking your preferred saber type and going in the backyard and practicing. See what moves you can discover on your own. You'd be surprised what you can come up with just by messing around like that.

I had no idea that slow-mo function was there on Youtube... wow that blows my mind. Thank you so much for that tip!

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2021, 08:16:37 PM »

I couldn't help but smile when I read this topic. It's so classic, because I think many fans at one point or another think this... I know I looked at alot of these mediums "references" shortly before I received my 1st lightsaber to simply see what was and wasn't within the realm of possibility. I then did go on to figure out which were more achievable or practical. And still have some fun training to do or "perfect" some of these movements. I relate to the OP in this desire from a practical standpoint, but also did have several moments over the years (and in that last bit of research) seeing that some computer generated things in games ignore reality hard! Like it was mentioned in a prior post, the spinning saber on one's palm, rotating while you're transitioning through moves and it's vertical and changing orientations... just insanely impossible to "keep there" while moving in such ways. Also the times I'd see the character "cut through" their own body during a move or "reset" mid sequence to a separate position in an impossibly fast and unreasonable way. You can't teleport your lightsaber and change stances in milliseconds sadly, unless you truly are a master of the Force.

That said, I get how easy it is to injure yourself without proper form, posture, or even simple stretching. Though some moves are just truly fun to learn if you can... call it a small sense of accomplishment, or just reaching a goal you've set for yourself. It may indeed be a good idea to contact someone who's openminded and has a firm understanding behind the mechanics of such actions or the human body before hand in several cases. So they can see the clip you're taking about, and say "no you'll dislocate something even trying this, or tear several ligaments from the strain" VS "wow, ok that's cool. Not really practical, but doable. I mean I've seen interesting videos of interpretations of Ataru or flying spinning slashes that (while not always the most practical in combat) still look amazing or would seriously confuse or catch some opponents of guard at times. We all accept a certain amount of risk engaging in these things, as long as you attempt them in an informed and reasonable manner; I like people to keep reaching for the stars. Just my opinion.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2021, 08:45:13 PM »

An interesting topic, to be sure. The slow-motion (0.25x speed) option on YouTube has been great, both for slowing down Star Wars fight scenes as well as slowing down general martial arts videos, even some how-to or tutorial videos, where even going slower than normal to teach, some of the intricacies and nuances can be hard to pick up on purely through video, without someone helping guide you through the motions you are actually doing in person. I'm personally a big fan of Maul's saberstaff fighting style, so I often play his fight with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan in slow motion, as well as his fight with Ahsoka from The Clone Wars. Yes, it is a cartoon, but they actually brought in Ray Park (Maul himself from Episode 1) and Lauren Mary Kim (who it looks like did a LOT of stunt work in The Mandalorian, including the Armorer, Fennec Shand, Koska Reeves, etc.), so a lot of it is grounded in reality, and some YouTube videos even have footage of the actual motion capture fighting between them. And there are also a handful of videos of Park spinning a saberstaff and doing light sparring with fans at various conventions, which gives another way to see his (and therefore Maul's) preferred movements, and how exactly he does them when he's just "normal" with an actual lightsaber akin to what we all use.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2021, 04:08:20 PM »

Nice Sifu Mace reference. He's great. He did a demo at the Vegas super show a few years back back and it was incredible. The RotS Obi Ani fight is a favorite of mine because it's when everyone began obsessing over the " Obi Ani " flourish. Friends of mine would argue that the move was created by the choreographers because it's " useless " or " senseless". Which it isn't. It's used like a P.i.A. from JKD. " Look at this hand so I can kick in the ***** " Smiley

Great thread!

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

Nodachi
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2021, 04:23:04 PM »

Not the best idea for the real combat skills development, however this is great approach for the stage combat

95% of all movie fights are staged to entertain the viewer (and I support this), as real combat is pretty boring to watch for generic viewer - therefore those fights are not realistic at all
But if you want to become great at stage fighting - this is exactly what you should do as stage fighting in Hollywood top-notch

Practicing Lightsaber Dueling Combat under ASL-FFE rules in the US
Sith Combat Academy

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: