Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Making/buying an obi  (Read 1446 times)
Lord Tohmas
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -43

(DS points please!)

« on: January 26, 2018, 12:58:39 AM »

Hey all,

Not sure when I'll be done putting together my Dark Jedi costume, but one thing that I've struggled with is the obi.  I am getting most parts of the costume from non-custom clothing (on purpose  Grin ), but the one thing I just can't seem to find is an obi that works.  It seems all "regular" obis tie somewhere and then have a length that hangs down from the knot. The problem with that is, you can't really wear a belt over the top of that. I've seen that most obis made for Jedi/Sith costumes are simply patterns of long pieces of material, sewn with Velcro strips so that it lays flat.

Is that everyone's experience? I have never, nor do I ever think I will, know how to sew. Do most of your make your own or do you order from somewhere?  Appreciate the input!

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 01:44:33 AM »

The Obi is the part that is just a single piece of cloth that wraps around your abdomen. Obi Wan, Mace Windu and Qui Gon all wore belts over their obi.

The Tabards are the two long cloths that go over the shoulder, and under the Obi which holds them in place against the body. They can be long, like Rey or Obi Wan in ep4, or not so long, like the Jedi in ep 1, 2, 3.

I helped a friend with Darth Maul when he simply got a black material to go around his middle to be held with clips in the back.

Honestly, go to Walmart or some place with cloth. Pick something you like and they can cut it how you want. Hide the cut edges by folding it properly, and that could work.

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 01:49:09 AM »

Hey all,

Not sure when I'll be done putting together my Dark Jedi costume, but one thing that I've struggled with is the obi.  I am getting most parts of the costume from non-custom clothing (on purpose  Grin ), but the one thing I just can't seem to find is an obi that works.  It seems all "regular" obis tie somewhere and then have a length that hangs down from the knot. The problem with that is, you can't really wear a belt over the top of that. I've seen that most obis made for Jedi/Sith costumes are simply patterns of long pieces of material, sewn with Velcro strips so that it lays flat.

Is that everyone's experience? I have never, nor do I ever think I will, know how to sew. Do most of your make your own or do you order from somewhere?  Appreciate the input!

Yeah, that is the basic idea of the Jedi Obi.  People do both, order or make, as their skills and/or wallet allows.  Adding interfacing can help it keep it's shape while wearing it as well.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 03:31:39 AM »

I made my Obi for my costume from a tutorial online. I can't remember if we can mention or link other forums on here by name but to play it safe if you Google "Making a Self-scrunching Obi" it will be the first result. To be honest I had virtually no experience with sewing before making my costume and was being tutored most of the way. That being said, sewing the Obi only requires super basic sewing. If you know someone who sews it would be a really easy project to complete, they might even be able to teach you because the scope of the project is small (compared to the tunic or tabards for example.)

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 03:41:22 AM »

You could possibly even ask about, someone in your area might be able to help.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Lord Tohmas
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -43

(DS points please!)

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 08:44:58 PM »

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Aware of what the obi (and other parts of the costume) were, was just curious what others have used. All good suggestions.  I actually don't know anyone off-hand who sews in my area, but I'm sure my FB friends can set me on the path, heh.
I don't plan on using traditional tabards, I have a different plan in mind. However, I absolutely need the obi to cover where the tunic meets the pants.

Thanks again, all!

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 02:06:15 AM »

I can't recommend KhloesCustomClothing enough for pieces like that Tongue

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: