Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down
Author Topic: Custom Blade Plugs - pics & instructions appreciated  (Read 56024 times)
Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« on: January 26, 2018, 06:19:21 PM »

Hi everyone.  Have to admit that I am challenged when making blade plugs.  Should be relatively simple but could use more ideas and help.  I have made a few in my time... cutting HG polycarb tubing and using metal and crystals.  No crystal chambers yet.  

I and likely many others would appreciate a sharing of both ideas and knowledge regarding how to make these plugs.  I see that some members even have their own signature plug style that goes well with most saber styles and customizations.

Am starting this topic again as most visuals were lost thanks to PhotoBucket.  Would also appreciate knowing the specifics of the supplies used.  And a reminder that US blade plugs and cut down leftover blade pieces are a good foundational base to use when creating a customized plug.  

Thanks to everyone who participates in any way.  Cheesy

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 06:23:08 PM »

Good call, I've been planning to make some blade plugs of my own as well.  This is a good spot to discuss and share ideas!

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 07:55:45 PM »

Thanks Master Nero Attoru.  Smiley

I'm going to have to borrow some of the photos from RevanReborn's already posted " Scythe of the Covenant " saber build to get us started.  All I know is that the main plug is the circle one that US produces.  Hopefully Rev will add more details.

For larger ( I edited down the size lol ) and more photos please check out his post.  Wink  Thanks in advance for this Rev.  Cheesy

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 09:13:40 PM »

I will have to start taking pics!

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 09:19:27 PM »

Please do!

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 10:02:50 PM »

Here's a plug that I put together on Halloween of 2016.  Spur of the moment from objects that were in my assorted saber crafting supplies.  Some of you will recognize this but the newer members won't... PB again !  Roll Eyes

Included are a copper connector that I customized, a small crystal skull ( doesn't everyone have at least one of these lol ), a ceiling fan pull cord with sliced off tip to let the light through, and a HG red polycarb tube that I had made prior.

It took way too long to cut down a hole and slot in the copper for the skull to rest in.  I finally gave up as the metal was getting too hot to hold and the tiny shards were getting into my hands and lungs.  Use gloves and a face mask/glasses.

The skull ended up sitting higher then I intended.  The illumination from the exhaust vents is not as bright also.  Now I have the right dremel and bits to make this much easier.  The pieces were placed together with a hot glue gun... which I am horribly not good at using.  The black paint was acrylic and then painted over with a clear finish that had some kind of a sparkle in it that looked like grit.  I wanted the look to appear kind of like an old tombstone.  This was the first time I had ever tried weathering/distressing... I was nervous and the connector went flying a few times.  The plug has been taken apart for version #2 some day.

So here's my #1 of a Kylo Ren blade plug in an Initiate LE v3 with BR blade.  Liked the look with this saber so no further customization required.  Smiley

Here's a bonus pic that I don't think was previously shared.  Grin

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 10:15:34 PM »

Very cool D7

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 11:43:32 PM »

Thanks LAK.  Wanted to demonstrate that it doesn't take a lot of materials... just a willingness to sometimes think outside of the box.  Grin

I'm not great at remembering to take photos from start to finish.  Not so interesting for me but other members seem to appreciate those step by step details... just as I do for other's sharings.  Also not a good photographer... am blaming it on my travel worn out camera that has not been set correctly.  Hmmm... what if it really is my camera... not so much lol.  Undecided

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 12:13:38 AM »

Ok I will slowly add pictures to this instead of spamming this poor thread lol.

I make custom crystal blade plugs for each of my sabers. The materials I use are Quartz Crystals or Optical Calcite, metal and plastic gears, aluminum pulleys, aluminum telescoping optic lens and epoxy.

The first plug is from my saber, Ladies Rage. It's a yellow dyed Quartz Crystal set in epoxy with gears.

The second plug is from my Tri BR Dark War Glaive. It's a red dyed Quartz Crystal set in epoxy with gears.

Darkside Points Please

Lord Tohmas
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -43

(DS points please!)

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2018, 01:17:03 AM »

Both great examples D7 and LAK!

LAK, what epoxy do you use and how do you get it molded into a circle without the epoxy sticking to the mold? Or do you shape it afterwards?

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2018, 01:28:38 AM »

I use TrueCoat epoxy and I pour it into plastic tubes that I cut off after it cures. After that I shape it to size on a belt sander. It takes 2-5 pours to piece together a plug and on the DWG plug you can see the seams in the epoxy. These are not pretty plugs when they are out of their sabers lol

Darkside Points Please

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2018, 02:33:32 AM »

Wow, it has been a while since I have seen that blade plug D7, that is back from my early days here.

Those are some sweet plugs too LAK. I love the final pic you posted.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 03:40:08 AM »

I've got some PC scraps from cutting blades down for staff work.
May have to see what I can come up with from my model parts 'bits box'

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 01:37:03 AM »

Ok, time for the second round of Lady Kath's blade plugs.

This blade plug is for my Manticore. It's made of an aluminum pulley, a red dyed Quartz cristal, a gear and epoxy.

The second plug is for an Initiate LE v4. It's made of an aluminum pulley, a chunk of Optical Calcite and epoxy.

The last plug if for another Initiate v4. It’s made of an aluminum pulley, a green dyed Quartz crystal, a clear Quartz crystal and epoxy.

Here is the above blade plug pictured with 2 others I made that are similar. The one on the Left is for a Sentinel I am going to be modding soon and the one on the right is from Gavin’s Bite.

Darkside Points Please

RevanReborn
Technomancer of the Graflex Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1086

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 04:07:01 PM »

Wow, some amazing plugs guys!!  Lady Agana, how embarrassing lol, it seems we shop for some of our gears in the same place Wink.  Awesome plugs!

Here's a blast from the past lol- the 'ol razor head plug.  We've all seen a million variations of this one i'm sure- but for good reason.  It's awesome.  Credit where credit is due- i got this idea from Arkm, the first guy to ever do this.  Not sure if he's even still in the game, but he was like the OG undisputed king of plugs.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: