Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down
Author Topic: Custom Blade Plugs - pics & instructions appreciated  (Read 56015 times)
Galef
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 209

Light side preferred, Dark side accepted

« Reply #120 on: January 29, 2020, 10:20:23 PM »

I've got some neon green crystal shards I'll be putting in my blade plug. With a blue LED, that should glow rather nicely.

-

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #121 on: January 29, 2020, 10:48:40 PM »

I've got some neon green crystal shards I'll be putting in my blade plug. With a blue LED, that should glow rather nicely.

-

What do you intend to use to hold the crystal shards still within the blade plug... clear epoxy?  Artfully-placed glue?  Do tell, and please also take multiple “in progress” pics to share.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #122 on: January 29, 2020, 10:59:36 PM »

What do you intend to use to hold the crystal shards still within the blade plug... clear epoxy?  Artfully-placed glue?  Do tell, and please also take multiple “in progress” pics to share.
Not quite figured that out, but was kinda thinking of just wedging it into the tube of the plug.  The "shards" I'm using are pieces of plastic sprue from Warhammer 40K Necron models (if anyone knows what this is, shout out), so I can layer the pieces until I get the right width to snuggly fit and "float" with in the saber itself

My goal is to use the blue LED of VA to interact with the photonic properties of the green (which I already know should work because I have a blue LED light at home) so that it REALLY pops
I plan to set the crystal just so that it is centered within the windows of my Sentinel v5 so you can see it even when it's full set in the emitter

-

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #123 on: January 29, 2020, 11:05:37 PM »

Not quite figured that out, but was kinda thinking of just wedging it into the tube of the plug.  The "shards" I'm using are pieces of plastic sprue from Warhammer 40K Necron models (if anyone knows what this is, shout out), so I can layer the pieces until I get the right width to snuggly fit and "float" with in the saber itself

My goal is to use the blue LED of VA to interact with the photonic properties of the green (which I already know should work because I have a blue LED light at home) so that it REALLY pops
I plan to set the crystal just so that it is centered within the windows of my Sentinel v5

-

That effect is going to look FREAKY (in a good way), and I look forward to seeing it; I hope the camera can do it justice.

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

DarthSyronimus
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -40

« Reply #124 on: January 30, 2020, 09:49:13 AM »

See the link to the Imgur album below.

nice!  (dunno how i missed the original link in the posts above... doh!)

Dark Side here, Grey in RPGs
(Order#1 - Ordered 1/27/20 - Arrived 3/12/20)
* Diamond Dominicide for me (died 4/2/20, sent back 5/23/20 for repairs, back in hand and working 6/4/2020)
* Diamond Dark Apprentice LE v5 for the 10yo Padawan
* Stunt Aeon LE v3 - Blazing Red (FreeMysteryBox) for the missus
* Stunt Initiate v2 - Guardian Blue (FreeInitiate) for the 7yo Youngling
(Order #2 - Ordered 5/17/20 - Arrived 9/13/20)
* Stunt Dark Overlord - Consular Green ($75 Mystery Box)
* Yari (Pike) Extension with 16" UEHG
* Silver Vented QR Coupler

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #125 on: January 31, 2020, 02:19:31 AM »

nice!  (dunno how i missed the original link in the posts above... doh!)

Sleepy eyes?  It’s easy to miss.

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #126 on: February 01, 2020, 04:50:49 PM »

Okay, after all that build-up in my mind, that was a real let-down.  WAY too easy!

Here is a link to an album of pics.  Pretty boring, but there you are (to steal an Arthur Weasley-ism). 

Now a question... since the entire length of tubing used for this blade plug is inside the hilt, I didn't bother to cut the diffusion film and line this with it, so I now have approximately 3-3/8" of diffusion film sticking out of the blade that I cut to make this blade plug.  How do you guys store your unused diffusion film?

2 inch ID pvc pipe from a home improvement store. I had mine cut to size at the store.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #127 on: February 02, 2020, 03:41:53 PM »

Has anyone ever tried modifying the standard plug US sells? How "soft" is the metal piece?
I included the standard plug in an order that I will be adding my crystal to as well as an emitter piece to stick a bit out.
The piece in question has a hole in the center and it would be cool if I could drill throw the existing plug to have a small bit of light peak through.

I only have a hand dremel and some files. Would I be able to drill into the metal? Or would it be easier to remove the metal bit entirely and make my own out of plastic?

-

mdillard9
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 3

« Reply #128 on: February 13, 2020, 01:28:57 AM »

I was pretty disappointed with the way that the blade plug I bought from US fit into the hilt of my Apprentice v5. The plug was too short to cover the emitter windows when flush against the end of the hilt and I like how it looks when it's flush. I designed a couple replacements that were longer that would sit flush against the end of the emitter and still cover the windows fully. I 3D printed these designs in white PLA and then did a real quick paint job on the designs to make them match my silver hilt.

US blade plug - you can see the space that is left "open" through the windows in this picture.

Here is my first design - you can see that the windows are now covered fully when the plug sits flush

Second design

The white PLA plastic lets plenty of light through still for an awesome glow.

I'll probably keep tweaking these designs and maybe come up with some new ones for variety.

ANAKIN0211
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 20

« Reply #129 on: February 13, 2020, 02:36:36 AM »

Currently working on a custom blade plug, i think itll be tough trying to work on the US blade plug since the metal cap is in there pretty securely.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #130 on: February 13, 2020, 12:08:13 PM »

Nice 3D blade plugs!

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #131 on: February 13, 2020, 01:16:51 PM »

I was pretty disappointed with the way that the blade plug I bought from US fit into the hilt of my Apprentice v5. The plug was too short to cover the emitter windows when flush against the end of the hilt.

US blade plug - you can see the space that is left "open" through the windows in this picture.

Oh wow that's very noticeable. I knew it would have to be set lower which is why I plan on modifying my plug when it gets here with my Sentinel v5
I want the plug to sit flush at the base to cover all the lower windows and I'm going to glue a peg emitter on top of the plug. I'm not a fan of plugs that sit flush with the top if the saber. I like them lower with some mechanisms sticking out.

-

mdillard9
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 3

« Reply #132 on: February 13, 2020, 04:26:41 PM »

Oh wow that's very noticeable. I knew it would have to be set lower which is why I plan on modifying my plug when it gets here with my Sentinel v5
I want the plug to sit flush at the base to cover all the lower windows and I'm going to glue a peg emitter on top of the plug. I'm not a fan of plugs that sit flush with the top if the saber. I like them lower with some mechanisms sticking out.

-

Yea after looking at some of the other designs people have come up with on here I can see the appeal for pegs/mechanisms that stick out of a lower plug. I think I’m going to work on a design that incorporates that as well to have have some different look options.

ANAKIN0211
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 20

« Reply #133 on: February 15, 2020, 12:09:32 AM »

Alright my friends, so i finally finished my custom crystal chamber blade plug! Im in love with it! Let me know what yall think!

This was made from an acrylic tubing and cut to 2.75" in length. OD of 1" ID of 3/4"
Bought crystals from local arts and crafts store and used a button from a sewing kit for the top plug
The crystal is set into a piece of hose attachment for a typical garden hose and cut the bottom just to make sure the crystal aligns with the windows in my emitter shown below.

I also used hot glue to make sure the crystal was secure in the hose piece and used 732 sealant to secure the top button.

Any questions on how i did something or what i used feel free to ask! Enjoy!

EccOMyth
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #134 on: February 15, 2020, 01:45:50 AM »

Alright my friends, so i finally finished my custom crystal chamber blade plug! Im in love with it! Let me know what yall think!

This was made from an acrylic tubing and cut to 2.75" in length. OD of 1" ID of 3/4"
Bought crystals from local arts and crafts store and used a button from a sewing kit for the top plug
The crystal is set into a piece of hose attachment for a typical garden hose and cut the bottom just to make sure the crystal aligns with the windows in my emitter shown below.

I also used hot glue to make sure the crystal was secure in the hose piece and used 732 sealant to secure the top button.

Any questions on how i did something or what i used feel free to ask! Enjoy!

Uhhh Wow... Do you take commission? :p I love it. One with a Celtic knot on top and in a Green saber would be my Dream Plug.

~EccOMyth the Gray

"Well, I assure you, I see more grey than dark or light. I'm just a stubborn old man, tired of the foolishness of others."
―Jolee Bindo, to Revan, in the Shadowlands of Kashyyyk

*Sentinel v4 LE Windowed Stunt w/Orange Blade
*Fulcrum AV Emerald v3 w/Sound
*Aeon V5 LE w/Premium Sound and SRD
*Initiate v4 ~2020 Winter Raffle 2nd Place Prize Upgraded to Diamond

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: