Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: wiring and resistance  (Read 3561 times)
Marcus
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: November 09, 2011, 12:08:11 PM »

I recently upgraded my light saber for sound and found the wiring diagram very useful except for no mention of resistance. Can you add that to the diagram and perhaps a chart for what each LED requires for power upgrades such as the lithium ion batteries.
Novastar mentioned the buck puck and here I've got a link for a supplier to show the different kinds. http://www.ledsupply.com/buckpuck.php
I used resistors in my upgrade but would like to know; what kind of buck puck do I need for my consular green LED and the double lithium / speaker setup I have in my saber, and what rating do you recommend?

Thanks!
Marcus
light side points for me please

KelK1-
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 3

I'm a Jedi

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 05:31:37 PM »

I think you need a 1000mA Buckpuck for your Led !

Consular UE blade - CG and BR

Marcus
Force Sensitive

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 01:08:50 PM »

Thanks KelK1, that sounds good. I believe the non dimming 1000mA Constant Output : #3021-D-N-1000 is what I'm looking for. I have to admit that I'm getting over my head a little bit; since I don't know that much about electronics. Have you used one before? How do you like them?

KelK1-
Knight Aspirant

I'm a Jedi

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 06:49:17 PM »

I haven't used one but its the basic thing to drive a led so it will be nice! If you want to use differents led color you can also use an adjustable driver.

darth pythagoris
Force Sensitive

I attack at right angles.....

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 07:12:00 AM »

Hello all,

So I looked all over and I couldn't find if this was answered anywhere....I promise!

My situation is this...

I am trying to build an obsidian saber and I want to use quick releases and MLS units to  be able to periodically change the color...Now the thing is, as I understand it, that the resistor requirements are different depending on the color I select...How is it that I am able to swap out mls units (without any resistor change) on an ultrasaber?  I mean, if there is a resistor in the hilt, how does it "adjust itself" to work with the color of the LED in the MLS unit? I've seen constant current drivers being sold, but those have to be set depending on what LED is being placed in the hilt.  also, there does not appear to be a resistor in the MLS unit (i'm guessing, i haven't actually disassembled one...

does my question make sense?

thanks

pythagoris

I attack at right angles........

KelK1-
Knight Aspirant

I'm a Jedi

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 08:07:31 AM »

Hi pythagoris !
You should create a new subject ! Nobody is going to answer you here because we are going to help someone else!
For your question : you should use one resistor which are going to work with all your led. If you want more info create a new subject Wink

Troy6162
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 05:03:11 AM »

pythagoris

If you are going to use a QD, The resistors for the LED shouldn't be in the Hilt... the resistors should be in circuit with each separate LED MLS unit, so the needed resistors go with the MLS color Unit.... 

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 03:26:28 PM »

pythagoris

If you are going to use a QD, The resistors for the LED shouldn't be in the Hilt... the resistors should be in circuit with each separate LED MLS unit, so the needed resistors go with the MLS color Unit.... 

This is correct.  The resistor goes with the MLS unit (or LED module), with the QD installed below that so you can swap them out.  Resistor them so they can handle the voltage coming out of the Obsidian and you should be fine.

Being as the OP was months ago, I'll lock this up.  Lemme know if you need it unlocked.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: