Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: The Greatest Showman  (Read 1286 times)
Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« on: January 30, 2018, 08:10:43 AM »

I haven't seen a thread for this one yet, so I figured I'd start one. I watched it Sunday night, and it has quickly risen to one of my top favorite musicals. So what do you all think?

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 08:37:36 AM »

I've yet to watch it, since I just heard about it. 

I'll look on NetFlix. Smiley

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 11:56:20 AM »

Took my kids to see it last Friday. The movie was good but it lacked two things for me.

I just didn't think the songs/music was very good, almost seemed like the same two or three songs over and over. And 2nd thing, and it being a musical they couldn't have done it without it being a 4 hour movie, but I wanted more details. I left the movie saying "I want to see a movie/documentary now with much more detail"!

But was it entertaining, yes.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 12:52:58 PM »

Took my kids to see it last Friday. The movie was good but it lacked two things for me.

I just didn't think the songs/music was very good, almost seemed like the same two or three songs over and over. And 2nd thing, and it being a musical they couldn't have done it without it being a 4 hour movie, but I wanted more details. I left the movie saying "I want to see a movie/documentary now with much more detail"!

My wife and I saw it earlier this month and really enjoyed it!  That's funny Tx: I really liked the songs but I understand your critique and agree that they do tend to sound similar; that's one of the reasons that I am sure that I like them  Wink

Again you bring up a good point: SO much info is available on PT Barnum that much was left out (my wife has seemingly encyclopaedic knowledge about him  Cheesy). 

Another example of how two people can have disparate views  Wink.  But I've got to laud you Tx: your criticism is NOT wrong at all  Smiley

I just really enjoy musicals  Grin

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 05:52:24 PM »

I've yet to watch it, since I just heard about it. 

I'll look on NetFlix. Smiley

I assume it won't be on Netflix since it just cam out in theaters last month (for use anyways).

I don't really care for the songs outside of the movie, but I had absolutely no problem with them whatsoever. My favorites were definitely The Other Side, and Rewrite the Stars. I definitely get the "wanted more details", but for me (since I know very little of Barnum) it was a good introduction and got me wanting to learn more.

GrayTinker
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 64

Lady Gray. I fix stuff.

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 05:35:37 AM »

I saw it in theaters and enjoyed the experience quite a lot.  However, before I get too into it, I suppose I should disclaimer that my degree is in Film (Theory/History and Production).

For some reason, while the music was very technical-quality excellent, none of it seemed catchy or memorable. After walking out of the theater, I couldn't remember any specific song well enough to sing it back.  I loved "This is Me" while in the theater, but again, I can't remember any of it to sing it back.  And most memorable musicals are memorable in part because of their catchy songs - Somewhere Over the Rainbow, Oklahoma!, Memory, etc.

The visuals were stunning, as I'd expect from a production like this, and the production design is stellar. 

My biggest issue is that it felt like once we get to Act 3, the film suddenly gets rocket boosters and turbo boosts to the end.  We spend so much time setting everything up in Act 1 and 2, and then suddenly Act 3 is warp speed and feels like there's so much missing out that I felt like there was at least another 30 minutes of story I was missing, which made it feel incomplete or rushed.

Other than that, though, I enjoyed it quite a bit for what it was.  I just have a few nitpicks with it.

-GT

Owned:  Standard Issue V3 FO  |  Dominix V2 AS  |  Dark Initiate V4 SY

Gray, but more light than dark. (Light Side Points Please)

"There is no light without dark, no up without down, no male without female - however, there will always be those that tread the unknown middle ground between them to make their own way in life and find their own balance." - Me

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 05:53:47 AM »

I saw it in theaters and enjoyed the experience quite a lot.  However, before I get too into it, I suppose I should disclaimer that my degree is in Film (Theory/History and Production).

For some reason, while the music was very technical-quality excellent, none of it seemed catchy or memorable. After walking out of the theater, I couldn't remember any specific song well enough to sing it back.  I loved "This is Me" while in the theater, but again, I can't remember any of it to sing it back.  And most memorable musicals are memorable in part because of their catchy songs - Somewhere Over the Rainbow, Oklahoma!, Memory, etc.

The visuals were stunning, as I'd expect from a production like this, and the production design is stellar. 

My biggest issue is that it felt like once we get to Act 3, the film suddenly gets rocket boosters and turbo boosts to the end.  We spend so much time setting everything up in Act 1 and 2, and then suddenly Act 3 is warp speed and feels like there's so much missing out that I felt like there was at least another 30 minutes of story I was missing, which made it feel incomplete or rushed.

Other than that, though, I enjoyed it quite a bit for what it was.  I just have a few nitpicks with it.

-GT

Actually, to be honest, these were the only things I disliked about the movie. (Disliked isn't even the right word though, too strong.) However, I did notice that the day after, I started remembering parts of the songs. Now I can remember pretty much all of The Other Side and Rewrite the Stars. That's cool that your degree is in Film. My brother and I are both trying to get into film (he as a camera operator, and myself as an actor), so it's neat to see others with similar interests.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: