Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Need help... can't view videos on forum  (Read 2276 times)
Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« on: February 03, 2018, 07:17:42 AM »

Hi all.  Approx. a month ago I stopped being able to view any videos posted on the Forum... other than those that had links to YouTube.  All I see is a large empty black space.  I have tried minor changes on my home computer running Windows 7.  I don't think that my security settings have been changed in ages.  Does not appear to be a problem coming from here so nothing that Ultra can fix ( so we think ).

Any help and suggestions will be most gratefully appreciated.  Please try to keep any instructions as simple as you can for me to understand and implement.

Thanks in advance.  Smiley

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 07:23:24 AM »

Try clearing your browser cache and cookies.  On Chrome, go to the drop down menu (should be the three vertical dots in the upper right hand corner), then hover over more tools, then click on "clear browsing data".  If you use anything else, it should be similar steps, but I can't help you, cause I don't use them. 

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 07:56:01 AM »

Thanks but I'm quite sure that I don't use Chrome.  Am still stuck for more things to try.  I did delete my history but where to find those cookies.  Smiley

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 07:58:26 AM »

Thanks but I'm quite sure that I don't use Chrome.  Am still stuck for more things to try.  I did delete my history but where to find those cookies.  Smiley

What browser are you using?

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 05:17:40 PM »

Clear cookies ought to be on the same menu as history in IE...

I use Chrome as well, but remember that for some odd reason. Tongue

Chrome is free D7: https://www.google.ca/chrome/browser/desktop/index.html?brand=CHBD&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2NXTBRDoARIsAJRIvLxNztO0KwVsokKYb76UWar9gbNWWyPqp9bClAmTqFj0O8GFjRVUIK0aAs6JEALw_wcB

That might do it.

You might have to tweak something in your PC settings tough...

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 06:47:04 PM »

In Firefox, go to the adress bar and type in "about:preferences" (without " "). Go to Privacy & Security. Under "History", click on "Show Cookies". Delete them (you might have to sign in to websites again that are currently open and need a login like saberforum.com). Under "Cached Websites", click "Clear Now". That should delete all temporary data from Firefox.

Icon names could be different, I just translated the ones from the German version Tongue

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 06:50:54 PM »

A Java update issue maybe?

EDIT: Not Java, sorry ... I mean, Flash Player Wink

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 08:14:31 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions so far... I'm even more confused than before lol.  But I'm presently on a computer at work and I still can't see any videos... so would that not indicate that it is on the Forum side of things ?  Undecided

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 08:30:51 PM »

That might be a good indication.

It could be that your work has a firewall that blocks all videos though too.  

Can you see any on other sites?

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 08:39:55 PM »

I have not had that problem before with any work computer on any forum.  This one is set up for any staff to use during breaks, etc.  Also SF is the only site that's doing this.  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 08:54:46 PM by Lord Rapine » Logged

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 08:48:58 PM »

Then yes, I would think it's a setting here...

Oh D7, why are you so technically challenged?  lol!
J/K

I just checked your profile out again, and I can't see anything about that.  

You tried logging right out of SaberForum already?

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 09:15:16 PM »

Curious...very curious...I have absolutely no idea, but since it's also an issue on other PCs, I agree that it must be something on the forum's side and not your's.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 06:47:18 PM »

What browser are you using at home and at work? This sounds very much like you're unable to view mixed content, which is a browser setting, but we can't help if we don't know which browser it is. There is no member setting on the forum for viewing videos, but unlike most other forums, for security the forum does not allow html code to be posted, so the standard YouTube embed code doesn't work here. Instead, the forum converts the raw URL to an embedded video, which means the forum is displaying http and https in a mixed environment which is blocked by some browsers like Firefox. It's not a forum setting that varies by user. Even someone not registered on the forum can view videos. Anyone can test this by logging out and trying to view a video.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 01:14:31 AM »

Thanks Ultra.  In the next while I will attempt to figure this out.  It's odd that all was good until recently.  Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: