Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down
Author Topic: Display Ideas and Tutorials - combined thread updated  (Read 60683 times)
Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2018, 04:50:15 AM »

I didn't think of that, great idea, -1 point for you  Smiley

Welcome!

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

VaporTrail_000
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 39

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2018, 12:13:33 PM »

Glad to see an updated (or at least De-PB'd) thread here... Since I posted these in another thread as an example of what you can do with a recharge port, guess I might as well contribute here.

Done mainly as a proof of concept and a "how much does it cost" assessment, I'm fairly happy with the results. Certain things I'll fix in the second attempt (the line... the LINE...), if and when I talk myself into doing it since I've already figured out most of what I need to do.

Anyway, the actual mount hardware is purchased off the web. Fairly expensive for what it is, materials-wise, it's also one of the cleaner and more stylistic options that I've seen, and therefore is worth the money IMO. Combined with a wood plaque I picked up from an art supply store, some stain and wood conditioner, along with a technique for transferring artwork to wood, and this is the result. Hung like a standard picture frame with a hanger nailed directly to the back, which is hooked over a nail in a stud, it's stable and I've had no problems with it falling off the wall whatsoever. However YMMV as I don't happen to have kids. 

The major issues with the execution were as follows:
1. Did not sand the artwork application surface enough. It's what caused the distressing effect on the artwork. While it looks pretty good at first glance, the distressing was not intended, and I think it kinda detracts from the whole the longer you look at it.
2. The line. Caused by the technique for transferring the Starbird symbol to the wood, the line shows where the technique was and was not applied. Fix for this is to apply the technique to the entire front surface, regardless of where the artwork ends. Perhaps the fix could be said to be more art Smiley.
3. The charger port hole. I want to figure out a way of getting a cleaner looking hole. I thought maybe a counter-sink bit or similar, to make the hole less noticeable, but I don't have one, and I had exhausted my tool budget as it was. The original idea was to keep the cable as low key as possible, hiding it directly behind the saber. Perhaps some kind of shroud around the plug, or an angled hole or something...
4. The charging cable below the plaque. I've got a piece of white wall-wiring conduit that I can cut and place to get rid of the "black cord on white wall" bit... but tool budget again, as well as "I'm not sure where I want this yet" as the conduit is fairly permanent. A trim saw might be in the budget this year... maybe. I might go with soldering equipment instead, as that might be more useful in the short term. 

Dark Apprentice LE V4 In Guardian Blue (Winter Sale Free Initiate)
Initiate V4 in Consular Green (Winter Sale Free Mystery Box)
Dark Initiate V4 LE in Consular Green, w/ LI-Ion pack (Winter Raffle 3rd Prize)
1 Diamond Initiate V4 LE
1 Diamond Dark Initiate V4

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2018, 09:12:42 PM »

Looks good.

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2018, 04:41:13 AM »

So I'm wondering if you might have some advice for me. How are you displaying your current saber collection? Any advice as to what would make a great display for me? If possible, please include photos or even videos as I'm open to advice from any and all in the Forum.

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2018, 05:13:22 AM »

Hi.  You might want to check out this thread for some good ideas.  Smiley

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37692.msg613429#msg613429

Master Elwood Graestar
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2018, 12:47:07 PM »

So I'm wondering if you might have some advice for me. How are you displaying your current saber collection? Any advice as to what would make a great display for me? If possible, please include photos or even videos as I'm open to advice from any and all in the Forum.

This was a pretty easy setup! All i did was order some rubberized utility clamps( think a wall clamp for a broom handle) from Ebay.  I measured out a tad over 36” from the ceiling, and just free-handed the placement beyond that! Easy-peasy, PLUS, it’s a killer nightlight, and plucking one from the wall to wield is always kinda Bad-A**🤘🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passions make life worthwhile and truth more profound.

lightside points if you would!

ktulu1347
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 87

Nerd for 3 decades plus and darn proud of it

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2018, 07:23:07 PM »

I just use pool cue racks, which I initially saw mentioned being dismissed in lieu of better options.  I'm an engineer, so a simple elegant solution like that is music to my ears.  Not very creative perhaps, but it's functional, inexpensive, and I think it looks pretty darn good.

I lined all the holes with felt to give the blades and hilts a bit of extra protection. It's added a lot of visual appeal to my living room wall.

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."

Dyllan-Ame
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 145

Get your head out of your cockpit

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2018, 07:28:28 PM »

You guys are so creative with your displays, looks great

Master Elwood Graestar
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2018, 07:48:50 PM »

I just use pool cue racks, which I initially saw mentioned being dismissed in lieu of better options.  I'm an engineer, so a simple elegant solution like that is music to my ears.  Not very creative perhaps, but it's functional, inexpensive, and I think it looks pretty darn good.

I lined all the holes with felt to give the blades and hilts a bit of extra protection. It's added a lot of visual appeal to my living room wall.
I dig it, ktulu! i was really close to the cue rack idea, but then the clamps dawned on me.  I also like that i can place them blade down or up with the same amount of retention in the clamp🤙🏻

Point when i get to my puter🤘🏻😁

Passions make life worthwhile and truth more profound.

lightside points if you would!

ktulu1347
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 87

Nerd for 3 decades plus and darn proud of it

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2018, 09:16:08 PM »

I dig it, ktulu! i was really close to the cue rack idea, but then the clamps dawned on me.  I also like that i can place them blade down or up with the same amount of retention in the clamp🤙🏻

Point when i get to my puter🤘🏻😁

Funny you should say that Elwood, as I was really close to the clamp idea before settling on the cue racks.  Smiley  The tipping point for me was the sheer size of my wish list and the need for more efficient use of space.  Also, I'm cheap and lazy so the cost and effort of all those individual clamps was unappealing.  That said, I do like the up or down alignment option and I could probably use a few single saber staging locations around the house...  Point to you as well.

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2018, 03:59:05 AM »

I know we all love our sabers and plan to get in some dueling, but my question is this: how are you displaying your sabers? I want to hang them on my walls. (Can be taken down at anytime for battle) looking for some ideas.

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2018, 04:38:28 AM »

Have 5 of mine hanging on the wall.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2018, 12:30:38 PM »

Dudes, please use the stickied "Display Stand" thread for this.  Merging...

tx, man that autocorrect of yours is killin' me...lol  Decipher mode. Tongue

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2018, 08:47:50 PM »

Dudes, please use the stickied "Display Stand" thread for this.  Merging...

tx, man that autocorrect of yours is killin' me...lol  Decipher mode. Tongue
Ha, it didn't help that I was probably half asleep when I posted it. Fixed it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2018, 10:50:13 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions and pictures. Gives me several ideas for possible displays.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: