Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Reading the books  (Read 13097 times)
Raider
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -10

« on: February 05, 2018, 05:18:47 PM »

Hi so i been watching the SW movies since 1977
And at 50 my need to know more has grown

Where should i start what order should i read the novels

Any titles

Thank you

Raider

Dark War Glaive  Diamond sound. Dark violet
Dark Sentinel obsidian lite violet

Wich list  emporors hand,

Shodan Shotokan And Ryu Kyu Kobudo

Dark side points

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 06:24:17 PM »

I say pick a series and go from there. I am biased toward the Original EU, but........

I highly recommend the Darth Bane trilogy. It was just awesome.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Hansrad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -670

Jedi? Sith? I'm the one with the lightsaber.

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 08:07:29 PM »

I say pick a series and go from there. I am biased toward the Original EU, but........

I highly recommend the Darth Bane trilogy. It was just awesome.
I agree that the Darth Bane trilogy is really good. I also enjoyed the books by Timothy Zahn that focus on Thrawn.

Own: Emerald Overlord, BHManticore, BR Renegade,FO Dominix LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix LE V4 (stunt), GB Apprentice LE(stunt),BR Dark Initiate LE V4 (stunt), AS Apprentice LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix V3 (stunt), SRD Darkish Liberator (stunt) Emerald Lost Grey.

Dyllan-Ame
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 145

Get your head out of your cockpit

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 09:33:30 PM »

I've read the newer books like Ahsoka by  E.K. Johnston and really enjoyed Rebel Rising by Beth Revis which tells about what happens after Jyn Erso is rescued by Saw Gerrera and about her life leading up to where we see her in Rogue One

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 11:19:59 PM »

Hi so i been watching the SW movies since 1977
And at 50 my need to know more has grown

Where should i start what order should i read the novels

Any titles

Thank you

Raider

The original Expanded Universe was canceled after Disney acquired Lucasfilm.  In a nutshell any books or comics published AFTER April 2014 are part of the Disney Canon and tie in to the films.  The Animated Shows The Clone Wars and Rebels are also canon.  Any of the books published before the Disney acquisition are no longer canon.  So they will not have characters such as Rey or Kylo Ren.  So, there is your first decision.  Do you want to delve into decades of novels that no longer connect to the films or begin with the ones that do connect to the films

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 11:44:16 PM »

I'm a little over halfway through the Del Rey timeline of books and they have all been pretty fantastic, timeline here: http://www.randomhousebooks.com/campaign/star-wars-timeline/

Thrawn is probably my favorite of the bunch. Nobody can capture the spirit of the blue skinned and red eyed Grand Admiral quite like Timothy Zahn. There's Dark Disciple if you're a fan of the Clone Wars series, Lords of the Sith if you like Vader, Tarkin if you're a fan of the Grand Moff... they're all really good.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 09:12:15 PM »

I've been told that Tarkin was an exceptional read. I plan on reading the Ahsoka and Jyn Erso novels myself.

Anything with Mara Jade is awesome in my book. Shame it's no longer canon.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 08:38:12 PM »

I've been told that Tarkin was an exceptional read. I plan on reading the Ahsoka and Jyn Erso novels myself.

Anything with Mara Jade is awesome in my book. Shame it's no longer canon.

Yeah Tarkin is pretty good, at around 275 pages it's a quick read compared to the other novels. Totally redefined the character for me personally. From what little I know of Mara Jade she definitely is a character I plan to get to know better myself.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 02:51:40 AM »

I would like to echo that Timothy Zahn's "Heir to the Empire" trilogy as well as the "Hand of Thrawn" duology are enjoyable reads.

Also: the "Darth Bane" trilogy is another set worthy of a read  Smiley

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 05:37:38 PM »

I agree that the Darth Bane trilogy is really good. I also enjoyed the books by Timothy Zahn that focus on Thrawn.

Ditto.  I greatly enjoyed the Thrawn series.  It was written by Zhan and as I recall was intended to be the continuation of the official storyline for the original trilogy.

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 05:49:47 PM »

I enjoyed the first two X-Wing books. It's a shame I never got my hands on the others...

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 05:51:35 PM »

I enjoyed the first two X-Wing books. It's a shame I never got my hands on the others...
eBay

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 09:00:32 PM »

Thrown Trilogy is awesome ... And Bane ... And Revan ... and Rogue Squadron ... and ... Wink

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

waltmickey
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -6

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 10:05:27 PM »

I actually recently bought most of the canon books. I actually love mostly everything about all of the new canon, but I also enjoy non-story related books like the Imperial Handbook, Bounty Hunter Code, Jedi Path, and Book of Sith. These are fun because they are guidebooks and you have the characters of the movies and TV shows that write their own notes in the book.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 10:24:05 PM »

HOW COULD I FORGET?..............

Sig by For Tyeth

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: