Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: Reading the books  (Read 13030 times)
Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2018, 12:42:09 PM »

Aftermath Trilogy is OK...its not brilliant...not bad...some strained crossovers with the Movie characters (Han/Leia), don't take it too seriously and you can enjoy it, if you're after something that discusses the srategic and political situation in the new canon...you won't get much.

Bloodlines another new on in the new cannon which focuses on Leia has some good moments but really doesn't work that well, notably Ben Solo is relegated to being off somewhere doing something as a 'major' revealtion (PSOILER Darth Vader is Leias Father!!!) is revealed...This was likely to free up the future movies to use Ben/Kylo as they saw fit but having no conversation between Leia and Ben was a massive let down and simply made no sense.

Honestly both Aftermath and Bloodlines, and i fear any future books set between the original and sequel trilogies suffer from something that the original EU did not, and that is everyone knows where the cannon is headed (ep VII) except the characters in these books, it is a hard trick to write a book in that context and i'm not sure anyone will really be able to pull if off. But just my opinion...a well done Snoke book or Ben's fall to Kylo could be awesome though.

But yeah original EU Traitor was the best!!! Poor Jacen what a waste to kill him off when he could've played an awesome Hannibal to Luke's Clarice....

During Bloodlines Ben was off training with Luke, which did give us a timeline on to how long he has been Kylo Ren...I thought the revelation to the universe that Vader was Leia's Father would have some kind of influence on Ben's fall.  Apparently it didn't as far as we've been shown.  As I stated before unless it is focused on Thrawn or Vader the new EU isn't very good.  A lot of superfluous characters that go nowhere and plot threads that seem to just dangle.  Like the Acolytes of the Beyond.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2018, 12:57:01 PM »

During Bloodlines Ben was off training with Luke, which did give us a timeline on to how long he has been Kylo Ren...I thought the revelation to the universe that Vader was Leia's Father would have some kind of influence on Ben's fall.  Apparently it didn't as far as we've been shown.  As I stated before unless it is focused on Thrawn or Vader the new EU isn't very good.  A lot of superfluous characters that go nowhere and plot threads that seem to just dangle.  Like the Acolytes of the Beyond.
I have only read the new "Thrawn" book by Zahn of the new EU.  Admittedly I don't care for the post-Disney works with the exceptions of the above mentioned book and "Rogue 1."

But the Legends EU was FULL of poor showings e.g. "The Jedi Academy" trilogy.  Actually, just about any book by Kevin J. Anderson (SW, Dune, DC) is, in my opinion, a waste of time.

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2018, 01:22:35 PM »

I have only read the new "Thrawn" book by Zahn of the new EU.  Admittedly I don't care for the post-Disney works with the exceptions of the above mentioned book and "Rogue 1."

But the Legends EU was FULL of poor showings e.g. "The Jedi Academy" trilogy.  Actually, just about any book by Kevin J. Anderson (SW, Dune, DC) is, in my opinion, a waste of time.
Thanks for the heads up. But I gotta ask if he does anything with Sith.

DAMMIT! I read Luke and Ben and was immediately hopeful you were referring to Ben SKYWALKER. Sad

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2018, 02:50:13 PM »

Yea, but without the Academy Trilogy we would have no Kyp Durron or Exar Kun

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2018, 07:37:01 PM »

Thanks for the heads up. But I gotta ask if he does anything with Sith.
No.  I take that back: he briefly talks to Vader and the Emperor.  That's it.

Yea, but without the Academy Trilogy we would have no Kyp Durron or Exar Kun
DT, I'll give you Exar Kun but Kyp Durron...eh, he's the book's "Kylo Ren"  Wink

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2018, 07:49:24 PM »

DT, I'll give you Exar Kun but Kyp Durron...eh, he's the book's "Kylo Ren"  Wink
Actually, Tepes answered that. I figured if I'm going to write a book that brakes new ground, I need to know, to the best of my ability, what has already been done.

Also, Ren is a cheap shadow of Jacen Solo. Maybe they threw in other traits of other characters.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2018, 09:36:18 PM »

Yeah that was my problem with it, that revelation should've lead to at least a scene with Ben and Luke discussing it, but it didn't and that is really a big miss in my eyes. 

I think they still need more work on Ben to Kylo its not just Luke tries to kill me I change my name, there must be at least some evens in-between that really need to be brought to light.

I feel like thy are playing it safe so they don't contradict any future movies and the plots are suffering as a result.

DAMMIT! I read Luke and Ben and was immediately hopeful you were referring to Ben SKYWALKER. Sad

We all wish...that would mean Mara Jade...

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2018, 10:30:39 PM »

Luke marries fire hot redhead that used to try to kill him or Luke becomes grumpy old hermit. Hmmmm.........which makes a story.

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2018, 11:17:43 PM »

Luke marries fire hot redhead that used to try to kill him or Luke becomes grumpy old hermit. Hmmmm.........which makes a story.

Can't argue with that.  I was willing to quietly mourn Mara and see where they went with Luke...but what Johnson gave us...was...just....words fail.  Though, my wife disliked TLJ so much it lit the fire under her to read the old EU.  

Yeah that was my problem with it, that revelation should've lead to at least a scene with Ben and Luke discussing it, but it didn't and that is really a big miss in my eyes.  

I think they still need more work on Ben to Kylo its not just Luke tries to kill me I change my name, there must be at least some evens in-between that really need to be brought to light.

I feel like thy are playing it safe so they don't contradict any future movies and the plots are suffering as a result.

Yea, the reason that Johnson gave for Ben's turn was so out there and unsatisfactory.  Really shows that the cohesion they said they were going for seems to have went right out the window.

If you mean Thrawn, just wait till the sequel.  Thrawn: Alliances.  It is all about a Mission Thrawn and Vader are sent on.  That is a dangerous duo.

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2018, 11:30:20 PM »

If you mean Thrawn, just wait till the sequel.  Thrawn: Alliances.  It is all about a Mission Thrawn and Vader are sent on.  That is a dangerous duo.

Can not wait for that book. Can't believe I'm looking forward more to a novel than any more Episodic Star Wars films... but such is the state of the franchise.  Undecided

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2018, 05:06:52 PM »

Can't argue with that.  I was willing to quietly mourn Mara and see where they went with Luke...but what Johnson gave us...was...just....words fail.  Though, my wife disliked TLJ so much it lit the fire under her to read the old EU.  
The phrasing is making me want to Rebel.

Sig by For Tyeth

EmmyV
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 33

I do dig giant robots

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2018, 09:57:43 PM »

I enjoyed the first two X-Wing books. It's a shame I never got my hands on the others...
They're all on kindle now.

Living Here In Jersey
Fighting villains from afar
You gotta find first gear in your giant robot car
You dig giant robots
I dig giant robots
We dig giant robots
Chicks dig giant robots
Nice.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: