Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Reading the books  (Read 13031 times)
waltmickey
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -6

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 11:14:21 PM »

HOW COULD I FORGET?..............

These would probably look amazing on a bookshelf! I was in Target thumbing through it, and I don't think I'd be able to actually read it in Shakespearean. Maybe my mind is too simple.

Rathayatra
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 98

"Mud hole? Slimy? My home this is"

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 08:39:45 PM »

Kenobi, John Jackson Miller---- Han Solo Brian Daley

lightside points please --- thanks an old youngling
Initiate LE v4 CG             
Prophesy v3 OPS GB 
Graflex GB OPS
Yoda FX
Dk. Prophesy v3 SY
Standard Issue Battle v3 GB
Dk. Prophesy v3 VA
Archon v2.1 GB
Dk. Prophesy v3 CG
Dk. Menace tri GB
Consular v4 GB Nickel
Shock GB OPS + Raffle Prophesy CG Stunt
Archon v3.1 + spring raffle Dominix LE v4

Rathayatra
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 98

"Mud hole? Slimy? My home this is"

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 08:41:03 PM »

I enjoyed the first two X-Wing books. It's a shame I never got my hands on the others...
  Yep all the x Wings are good.

lightside points please --- thanks an old youngling
Initiate LE v4 CG             
Prophesy v3 OPS GB 
Graflex GB OPS
Yoda FX
Dk. Prophesy v3 SY
Standard Issue Battle v3 GB
Dk. Prophesy v3 VA
Archon v2.1 GB
Dk. Prophesy v3 CG
Dk. Menace tri GB
Consular v4 GB Nickel
Shock GB OPS + Raffle Prophesy CG Stunt
Archon v3.1 + spring raffle Dominix LE v4

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 09:31:57 PM »

Great to see you back Rathayatra !  Last evening you popped into my mind regarding where did she go.  Smiley

Unfortunately I have a stack of books to get through including SW related.  Have a hard copy of the Ahsoka one that I likely will read next.  I shouldn't take a peek at the Amazon selection.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 09:32:40 PM »

Kenobi was very good.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2018, 11:13:21 PM »

So, I've shared this before. I've not read any of the newer books, so all the below fall under the Legends banner:

Darth Bane Trilogy: Path of Destruction - Rule of Two - Dynasty of Evil
Properly introducing the, ah, much loved character of Darth Bane to the EU (he appeared in an earlier comic, but the book supersedes that) it gives a rich, detailed look into the philosophy of the old Sith Order, and the Rule of Two of which Bane is the first master. The first two books, in particular, are among my favourite SW books; They're really well written, and the author seems to take a certain amount of glee in mercilessly killing off named characters, innocent characters, Jedi, Sith... There's a lot of killing in these books Cheesy

Darth Plagueis
A fantastic read, detailing the rise of Sidious under his master from rage-filled schoolboy to Supreme Chancellor... Lots of wonderfully gruesome scenes, lots of sly shots at the Jedi, but also doesn't stint from portraying the Sith as evil; You understand them, but you don't sympathise with them...

Episode I
Episode II

Republic Commando series: Hard Contact - Triple Zero - True Colors - Order 66 (There's a 5th book, Imperial Commando: 501st, but it was intended to set up a new series which has now been cancelled.)
This looks at the lives of a squad of four ARC clone troopers. All four are the survivors of squads who otherwise died on Geonosis, and the series looks at how they start to bond, how they work with the Jedi, how they work with other squads and how they relate to their training officers - some better than others. The series is divisive among those who've read it; The author clearly has little regard for the Jedi overall, and the way they acted during the Clone Wars and their treatment of the clones under their command in particular. That said, the action is good, the characters are diverse and the stories are well written.

Episode III

Star Wars: Revenge Of The Sith - I admit that I've not read it, but the novellisation of the film is reputed to be excellent, expanding on character motivations in the right places.

Kenobi
Deals with Obi-Wan's arrival on Tatooine, and how he sets about acclimatising himself to life there. Obi-Wan is realistically scarred and beaten by his experiences in EpIII, and the mystery that forms the core of the book is a good one.

Dark Lord - Rise of Darth Vader
Set immediately after ROTS, this tells how Vader adapts to life as a Sith apprentice and how some of the surviving Jedi cope with the change in their lives

Coruscant Nights trilogy: Jedi Twilight - Street of Shadows - Patterns of Force
The last Jedi on Coruscant begins to adapt to life without the Order, and form the connections that will help the Rebel Alliance on the Imperial homeworld. This feeds into a 4th novel, The Last Jedi, which is also worth a read, but thematically and in story terms is separate from the trilogy.

Han Solo Trilogy: Paradise Snare - Hutt Gambit - Rebel Dawn
Some of Han's backstory (A lot of it remains a mystery, deliberately so) as Han matures over the decade leading up to his meeting with Luke and Obi-Wan in the Mos Eisley cantina. It's not too much of a spoiler to say that the central romance is deeply affecting - even if, of course, it can't end happily.

Episode IV

Scoundrels
Best described as Solo's Eleven

Episode V

Tales Of The Bounty Hunters
Anthology book set during/around Empire Strikes Back and follows the bounty hunters hired by Vader to track down the Millennium Falcon. A really enjoyable read, as unlike the other two books in the series (Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina and Tales from Jabba's Palace) the stories range far and wide with their characters without too much overlap. Not to be confused with the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy, which open with sub-par covers and go downhill from there)

Episode VI

X-Wing - Rogue Squadron - Wedge's Gamble - Krytos Trap - Bacta War
These first four books of the series detail how the New Republic takes Coruscant and holds it, seen from the view of the Republic's premier starfighter squadron. Michael Stackpole, the author of the books, is one of the best writers of action around, and that lends itself very well to the fantastic dogfight and other action scenes that come up frequently in the books.

Thrawn Trilogy: Heir to the Empire - Dark Force Rising - The Last Command
The first books published, post-ROTJ, in 1991 I believe. That's something to bear in mind as the books have been written over the course of 20+ years, and while Lucasfilm gave editorial oversight, the books introduced superweapons, darksiders and other wild concepts that just didn't end up mattering in the long run. It must have been difficult to write the books knowing that people would want something recognisably Star Wars, while at the same time being something new as well. Still, for me at least, a lot of the 'early' books released in the 1990s just don't stack up to the later releases.

Anyway, these books are set five years after the films, it details the ongoing conflict between the New Republic and Empire, and introduces the legendary Imperial Grand Admiral Thrawn. The trilogy's not a bad place to start, as the writer (Timothy Zahn) is one of the finest writers in the EU.

X-Wing: Wraith Squadron - Iron Fist - Solo Command
A different squadron and a different writer for this trilogy, which deals with the campaign waged against a rogue Imperial warlord. This series, more than most in the books, is in turn both hilarious and emotional. The second book, Iron Fist, is one of the finest standalone books in the EU.

I, Jedi
A standalone counterpart to the Jedi Academy trilogy, which consensus varies on. This is one of the first books to take an in-depth look at the training of a Jedi. Beyond that, it's also a storming adventure in its own right. It's the only first person EU book, starring one of the pilots from the Rogue Squadron series of books.

X-Wing: Starfighters of Adumar
Same author as the Wraith Squadron books, this is a straight-up hilarious book.

Hand of Thrawn Duology: Specter of the Past - Visions of the Future
Winding down the New Republic/Empire war, this brings back Timothy Zahn to tie up the plot strands ahead of the next major series of books.

After this, the books shift into several long series which continue the general storyline of the main movie characters, series punctuated by standalone books and shorter series (such as the Coruscant Nights trilogy).

The continuation series are as follows:

New Jedi Order - 19 books - Way, way too many books; They didn't try this again. About half are worth reading, I'd say, and about as many advance the plot... they're not always the same books. Traitor is the standout book in the series.

Dark Nest - 3 books - Haven't read these.

Legacy of the Force - 9 books - Grim, grim, grim. I read these once and got rid of them. They do bring about a major change in the EU, but 9 books can pretty much be summed up effectively by the Wookiepedia plot review.

Fate of the Jedi - 9 books - Lighter than the previous series, while at the same time introducing a quasi-demonic entity who helps stir up a galactic vendetta against the Jedi... But where the previous series seemed bogged down under its own weight, this one pretty well moves along at a decent clip, and by introducing a lost tribe of Sith into the series, offers some nice counterpointing of the Jedi and Sith ways.

There are some good books out there I've not included in the list, either because I've not read them or they're not really necessary to follow the overall story. Where I've underlined books, they are especially recommended as being integral to the overall EU, or otherwise as being particularly good writing. However, it's all just a recommendation. Read what you want, and have fun doing it Smiley

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2018, 11:32:25 PM »

^^^That is one heck of a list, time to get my bookmarks warmed up  Cool

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2018, 11:46:09 PM »

So, I've shared this before. I've not read any of the newer books, so all the below fall under the Legends banner:

Darth Bane Trilogy: Path of Destruction - Rule of Two - Dynasty of Evil
Properly introducing the, ah, much loved character of Darth Bane to the EU (he appeared in an earlier comic, but the book supersedes that) it gives a rich, detailed look into the philosophy of the old Sith Order, and the Rule of Two of which Bane is the first master. The first two books, in particular, are among my favourite SW books; They're really well written, and the author seems to take a certain amount of glee in mercilessly killing off named characters, innocent characters, Jedi, Sith... There's a lot of killing in these books Cheesy

Darth Plagueis
A fantastic read, detailing the rise of Sidious under his master from rage-filled schoolboy to Supreme Chancellor... Lots of wonderfully gruesome scenes, lots of sly shots at the Jedi, but also doesn't stint from portraying the Sith as evil; You understand them, but you don't sympathise with them...

Episode I
Episode II

Republic Commando series: Hard Contact - Triple Zero - True Colors - Order 66 (There's a 5th book, Imperial Commando: 501st, but it was intended to set up a new series which has now been cancelled.)
This looks at the lives of a squad of four ARC clone troopers. All four are the survivors of squads who otherwise died on Geonosis, and the series looks at how they start to bond, how they work with the Jedi, how they work with other squads and how they relate to their training officers - some better than others. The series is divisive among those who've read it; The author clearly has little regard for the Jedi overall, and the way they acted during the Clone Wars and their treatment of the clones under their command in particular. That said, the action is good, the characters are diverse and the stories are well written.

Episode III

Star Wars: Revenge Of The Sith - I admit that I've not read it, but the novellisation of the film is reputed to be excellent, expanding on character motivations in the right places.

Kenobi
Deals with Obi-Wan's arrival on Tatooine, and how he sets about acclimatising himself to life there. Obi-Wan is realistically scarred and beaten by his experiences in EpIII, and the mystery that forms the core of the book is a good one.

Dark Lord - Rise of Darth Vader
Set immediately after ROTS, this tells how Vader adapts to life as a Sith apprentice and how some of the surviving Jedi cope with the change in their lives

Coruscant Nights trilogy: Jedi Twilight - Street of Shadows - Patterns of Force
The last Jedi on Coruscant begins to adapt to life without the Order, and form the connections that will help the Rebel Alliance on the Imperial homeworld. This feeds into a 4th novel, The Last Jedi, which is also worth a read, but thematically and in story terms is separate from the trilogy.

Han Solo Trilogy: Paradise Snare - Hutt Gambit - Rebel Dawn
Some of Han's backstory (A lot of it remains a mystery, deliberately so) as Han matures over the decade leading up to his meeting with Luke and Obi-Wan in the Mos Eisley cantina. It's not too much of a spoiler to say that the central romance is deeply affecting - even if, of course, it can't end happily.

Episode IV

Scoundrels
Best described as Solo's Eleven

Episode V

Tales Of The Bounty Hunters
Anthology book set during/around Empire Strikes Back and follows the bounty hunters hired by Vader to track down the Millennium Falcon. A really enjoyable read, as unlike the other two books in the series (Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina and Tales from Jabba's Palace) the stories range far and wide with their characters without too much overlap. Not to be confused with the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy, which open with sub-par covers and go downhill from there)

Episode VI

X-Wing - Rogue Squadron - Wedge's Gamble - Krytos Trap - Bacta War
These first four books of the series detail how the New Republic takes Coruscant and holds it, seen from the view of the Republic's premier starfighter squadron. Michael Stackpole, the author of the books, is one of the best writers of action around, and that lends itself very well to the fantastic dogfight and other action scenes that come up frequently in the books.

Thrawn Trilogy: Heir to the Empire - Dark Force Rising - The Last Command
The first books published, post-ROTJ, in 1991 I believe. That's something to bear in mind as the books have been written over the course of 20+ years, and while Lucasfilm gave editorial oversight, the books introduced superweapons, darksiders and other wild concepts that just didn't end up mattering in the long run. It must have been difficult to write the books knowing that people would want something recognisably Star Wars, while at the same time being something new as well. Still, for me at least, a lot of the 'early' books released in the 1990s just don't stack up to the later releases.

Anyway, these books are set five years after the films, it details the ongoing conflict between the New Republic and Empire, and introduces the legendary Imperial Grand Admiral Thrawn. The trilogy's not a bad place to start, as the writer (Timothy Zahn) is one of the finest writers in the EU.

X-Wing: Wraith Squadron - Iron Fist - Solo Command
A different squadron and a different writer for this trilogy, which deals with the campaign waged against a rogue Imperial warlord. This series, more than most in the books, is in turn both hilarious and emotional. The second book, Iron Fist, is one of the finest standalone books in the EU.

I, Jedi
A standalone counterpart to the Jedi Academy trilogy, which consensus varies on. This is one of the first books to take an in-depth look at the training of a Jedi. Beyond that, it's also a storming adventure in its own right. It's the only first person EU book, starring one of the pilots from the Rogue Squadron series of books.

X-Wing: Starfighters of Adumar
Same author as the Wraith Squadron books, this is a straight-up hilarious book.

Hand of Thrawn Duology: Specter of the Past - Visions of the Future
Winding down the New Republic/Empire war, this brings back Timothy Zahn to tie up the plot strands ahead of the next major series of books.

After this, the books shift into several long series which continue the general storyline of the main movie characters, series punctuated by standalone books and shorter series (such as the Coruscant Nights trilogy).

The continuation series are as follows:

New Jedi Order - 19 books - Way, way too many books; They didn't try this again. About half are worth reading, I'd say, and about as many advance the plot... they're not always the same books. Traitor is the standout book in the series.

Dark Nest - 3 books - Haven't read these.

Legacy of the Force - 9 books - Grim, grim, grim. I read these once and got rid of them. They do bring about a major change in the EU, but 9 books can pretty much be summed up effectively by the Wookiepedia plot review.

Fate of the Jedi - 9 books - Lighter than the previous series, while at the same time introducing a quasi-demonic entity who helps stir up a galactic vendetta against the Jedi... But where the previous series seemed bogged down under its own weight, this one pretty well moves along at a decent clip, and by introducing a lost tribe of Sith into the series, offers some nice counterpointing of the Jedi and Sith ways.

There are some good books out there I've not included in the list, either because I've not read them or they're not really necessary to follow the overall story. Where I've underlined books, they are especially recommended as being integral to the overall EU, or otherwise as being particularly good writing. However, it's all just a recommendation. Read what you want, and have fun doing it Smiley
Outstanding synopsis, JC!

I think that this could be used as the comprehensive book(s) review for the entire EU (post Disney...bleh  Wink).

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2018, 12:00:55 AM »

Another good one that I have read is Rogue Planet.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2018, 04:12:12 AM »

Post Disney (so far) unless it focuses on Vader or Thrawn...it isn't very interesting

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Master Medwyn
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 788

Silver Blade of the Distant Earth Knighthood

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2018, 12:48:29 PM »

I can only second (twenty-second, LOL) that the original Thrawn-trilogy is a shiny example of the now called legacy (personally as I see Disney's way of doing it, the Thrawn-series is "the 7-8-9" for me). Actually anything with the name Timothy Zahn on it I can recommend wholeheartedly.
The Darth Bane-series is also a classic I love and would highlight in the list of all the goodies already have been mentioned above Smiley

Ah, and the Shakespeare-paraphraze is hilarious Cheesy

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2018, 02:36:12 PM »

These would probably look amazing on a bookshelf! I was in Target thumbing through it, and I don't think I'd be able to actually read it in Shakespearean. Maybe my mind is too simple.
Oh no no no no. If you know the lines from the movie (verbatum, like me Grin) they are thoroughly enjoyable. They even make Jar Jar cool. Seriously. The writer is definitely a fan of both SW and Shakespeare, and it shows. Even I want the TFA book.

JC, you forgot two of my favorite Prequel prequels: Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, and Cloak of Deception. I highly recommend both, but I thought CoD was just AWESOME! You didn't know which way was up until the very end. It was scheming on the level that would make any Sith Lord squee.

Ah, and the Shakespeare-paraphraze is hilarious Cheesy
I found the Jedi asides to be quite hilarious. Grin

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Metal Mech
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -84

Dark Force points please.

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2018, 04:08:24 AM »

I picked up the first of the Aftermath books. Haven't gotten very far, due to being sucked into a different sci if book series.

Wishlist
Project Replica: Specter w/ Diamond Controller 36" HD Blade
Project Dark Twins: x2 Dark Initiate LE v5 Stunt Tri-AS 24” HD Blade
Project Silver Saber: Lost Grey v4 Obsidian AS w/GB FoC 32" HD Blade

Sent back for upgrade.
Empress v4 Sound Tri-AS 32” HD Blade

Collection
Customized Saber: Dark Mantis Emerald v3 Obsidian 37” V4 Blade (mods in progress)
Practice Saber: Dark Sentinel LE v4 Stunt BR 32”HD Blade

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2018, 04:35:51 AM »

I picked up the first of the Aftermath books. Haven't gotten very far, due to being sucked into a different sci if book series.

Curious what you think of Aftermath after you read it. I thought it was kind of bland but then again it is the first book in the trilogy.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2018, 10:47:35 AM »

Curious what you think of Aftermath after you read it. I thought it was kind of bland but then again it is the first book in the trilogy.

Aftermath Trilogy is OK...its not brilliant...not bad...some strained crossovers with the Movie characters (Han/Leia), don't take it too seriously and you can enjoy it, if you're after something that discusses the srategic and political situation in the new canon...you won't get much.

Bloodlines another new on in the new cannon which focuses on Leia has some good moments but really doesn't work that well, notably Ben Solo is relegated to being off somewhere doing something as a 'major' revealtion (PSOILER Darth Vader is Leias Father!!!) is revealed...This was likely to free up the future movies to use Ben/Kylo as they saw fit but having no conversation between Leia and Ben was a massive let down and simply made no sense.

Honestly both Aftermath and Bloodlines, and i fear any future books set between the original and sequel trilogies suffer from something that the original EU did not, and that is everyone knows where the cannon is headed (ep VII) except the characters in these books, it is a hard trick to write a book in that context and i'm not sure anyone will really be able to pull if off. But just my opinion...a well done Snoke book or Ben's fall to Kylo could be awesome though.

But yeah original EU Traitor was the best!!! Poor Jacen what a waste to kill him off when he could've played an awesome Hannibal to Luke's Clarice....

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: