Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
Author Topic: Dominix LE v2 - Customizing my first saber  (Read 26785 times)
Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 05:34:58 PM »

well…at least I don't have a problem … Roll Eyes

My next steps are a new pommel, weathering further (dry brushed) and ultimately a shroud for the grip as well. I'd love some ideas on that last part.

as for designing for others: I belong to a SW RP group in the Second Life community and I "build" custom sabers and sell them…much more cost effective than this real life stuff Smiley

Hi.  This is the v2 version therefore it is not MHS compatible as it is more narrow than the other sabers.

Here's a pic of one of my customs with a tap from Ronin hardware that I added on to the pommel.  The inner walls required some dremel reduction to hug the pommel securely.  This one is for display and removable for use... but could be placed permanently.

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 05:39:07 PM »

I did read that and saw some of the youtubey stuff. I just wonder about the thickness of the PVC on the hilt. I may go the 3D print route again. The bottom of the Dominix is only about 5 & 7/8" so it's not much to work with design-wise. Also, since the Dominix hilt is thinner than others, trying to find an appropriate cardboard tube to use for a template is challenging.

Use the concepts and apply them to thinner material, such as copper pipe.  As for not being able to use the TP roll trick, there is that, but graphing paper is pretty amazing.  Roll it evenly around the saber, mark where to cut it to make it the same size, and now you have a gridded representation to design on.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 06:13:36 PM »

Hi.  This is the v2 version therefore it is not MHS compatible as it is more narrow than the other sabers.

Here's a pic of one of my customs with a tap from Ronin hardware that I added on to the pommel.  The inner walls required some dremel reduction to hug the pommel securely.  This one is for display and removable for use... but could be placed permanently.

Nifty!

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2018, 06:15:48 PM »

IIRC TCSS makes an adapter to allow MHS hilts to be used on the V2 models...

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2018, 02:55:18 AM »

Just ordered my new pommel and having it powder coated…A shame since II'm ust gonna rough it up when I get it  Roll Eyes Tongue Kiss

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Cadazz21
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 13

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2018, 03:20:50 AM »

Nice Hilt!!

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2018, 02:49:14 PM »

Ok...So have been thinking about some "alternative" ideas to creating a grip shroud. I was looking at the contact paper ideas and found a website that is sending me some free samples. Instead of the normal leather or metal samples, I am going to take a look at some options that include, crocodile, snake, Alligator and Tortoise patterns. I love free samples Smiley

One Question: O-Rings...for a Dominix LE V2 hilt...what size do you recommend? I am thinking about adding them to the grooves (in the silver) once it is covered with the contact paper. That should look nice and sinister.

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2018, 01:29:21 AM »

Testors aluminum enamel paint purchased along with some thinner…Time to do some paint weathering on the 3D printed shroud and hilt…pictures forthcoming  Wink

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2018, 12:01:19 PM »

UPDATE: Weathering has commenced! Let me know what you think as this is my first attempt at such feats of derring-do.

I've left the grip area scuffed up with just sandpaper as I am going to possibly be going the contact-paper route (depends on what comes in the mail).

Also...I think O-rings to set off the contact papered grip....anyone have a recommendation on size for the Dominix LE v2?

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2018, 07:58:49 PM »

Looking good to me.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2018, 09:08:05 PM »

Looking good to me.

I know…right?!?  Tongue

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2018, 09:58:48 PM »

You using your cell phone to take pictures? You sound try to focus more on the saber. Seems like all your pictures are focused on the background so it makes it hard to see the details of your work.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2018, 10:43:08 PM »

You using your cell phone to take pictures? You sound try to focus more on the saber. Seems like all your pictures are focused on the background so it makes it hard to see the details of your work.

The old flip phone can only do so much  Kiss Roll Eyes Cry

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2018, 02:37:49 AM »

The work is looking good, but your emitter shroud may be just a hint off kilter

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2018, 10:48:00 AM »

The old flip phone can only do so much  Kiss Roll Eyes Cry