Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
Author Topic: Dominix LE v2 - Customizing my first saber  (Read 26610 times)
sedstiskyfaller
Artisan of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 617

Blue is my color, it is who I am

« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2018, 01:31:12 AM »

Your saber looks to be coming along quite well! I’m glad you like the shrouds as well! The grip shroud was a fun design to work on.

I look forward to following your continued progress  Smiley

Madness
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -61

« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2018, 02:18:08 AM »

Looking good!!

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2018, 11:04:25 PM »

UPDATE:

1) Finished my very first leather wrap on my grip and think it came out well (for a first-timer) I found getting the grooves detailed more challenging than expected but I ended up holding it together when drying wuth some zip ties and it helped

2) Installed my 3D printed shroud today and sadly had to cut it to get a good fit…I think it still looks pretty sweet and used someBSI 30 min epoxy to have some time to get it fit just so

pics soon!!!

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2784

Grey Assassin

« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2018, 11:28:29 PM »

UPDATE:

1) Finished my very first leather wrap on my grip and think it came out well (for a first-timer) I found getting the grooves detailed more challenging than expected but I ended up holding it together when drying wuth some zip ties and it helped

2) Installed my 3D printed shroud today and sadly had to cut it to get a good fit…I think it still looks pretty sweet and used someBSI 30 min epoxy to have some time to get it fit just so

pics soon!!!

Great to hear!  Any tips on getting the grooves detailed when wrapping? Techniques? I look forward to seeing it!

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2018, 02:43:44 AM »

Great to hear!  Any tips on getting the grooves detailed when wrapping? Techniques? I look forward to seeing it!

Honestly, I just kept going over it as I progressed…I used some wooden chopsticks and pressed like a mofo Wink When I was done, I used zip ties that conveniently fit in the grooves and let it set overnight. I probably could have done more but…impatient

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2018, 02:55:49 AM »

Thanks for that, have a point

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2018, 12:35:15 PM »

UPDATE: Here's pics!

Post Leather wrap....looks nice, eh? Not bad for my first ever....

The seam didn't quite come together perfectly...but it will be covered by the grip shroud

Here's the shroud again...

Using epoxy, here's the shroud drying....I used these zip ties to hold everything together and they fit nicely in the grooves of the hilt keeping the definition I was hoping for.

Completed!

Here is a link to the full album from beginning to end: https://flic.kr/s/aHskBeJvMX

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2018, 01:30:44 PM »

Looking good there, mrg!  Thank you for posting up your steps, you made it look really easy and the leather adds more to your saber in my opinion.  Looks like a whole new saber, how does it feel?  Also, did you make that grip shroud yourself?  PVC pipe or metal?  I like it! Point.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2018, 04:17:02 PM »

Looking good there, mrg!  Thank you for posting up your steps, you made it look really easy and the leather adds more to your saber in my opinion.  Looks like a whole new saber, how does it feel?  Also, did you make that grip shroud yourself?  PVC pipe or metal?  I like it! Point.

Yeah, The leather is called "Chocolate Maroon" and it looks nice and "Sithy" on the saber. I felt the grip needed something to really make it look different. Overall, it's a bit heavier but it feels substantial in a good way. The shroud and grip shrouds are 3D Printed plastic with help from Sedsti Skyfaller (plug). I, sadly had to cut the notches in the grip shroud to get it to fit. It was originally all 1 piece. However, once installed, I've come to like it better this way.

The only things left to do are:
1) I'm considering attaching a D-Ring or Covertech up by the emitter end to give it another little bit of flare

2) I would like to inscribe either a saying "Chaos is my ally" in Sith font or maybe even the Sith Order logo or some rune-ish stuff. Haven't quite decided.

Overall, this has been a fun first project and I can't wait to learn how to wield this bad-boy.

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2018, 04:25:14 PM »

Yeah, The leather is called "Chocolate Maroon" and it looks nice and "Sithy" on the saber. I felt the grip needed something to really make it look different. Overall, it's a bit heavier but it feels substantial in a good way. The shroud and grip shrouds are 3D Printed plastic with help from Sedsti Skyfaller (plug). I, sadly had to cut the notches in the grip shroud to get it to fit. It was originally all 1 piece. However, once installed, I've come to like it better this way.

The only things left to do are:
1) I'm considering attaching a D-Ring or Covertech up by the emitter end to give it another little bit of flare

2) I would like to inscribe either a saying "Chaos is my ally" in Sith font or maybe even the Sith Order logo or some rune-ish stuff. Haven't quite decided.

Overall, this has been a fun first project and I can't wait to learn how to wield this bad-boy.

Great project there, I remember when you first started it and looking at it now, it's a completely different saber.  I can't wait to see whether you'll inscribe in Sith font or use a Sith logo on it.

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2018, 02:27:56 AM »

Shroud sets off the leatherwork nicely
Excellent work on this

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2018, 04:04:09 AM »

Nice for sure =] Could always drill a screw in the bottom of the pommel to hold a d-ring, kinda like an old school Graflex set up look kind of thing Tongue So d-ring, screw, then washer, then nut like inside to hold it all together

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2018, 06:14:40 AM »

You did a fine job of this v2... I hardly recognize this saber style.  Smiley

awesomeness point  Cool

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2018, 10:37:41 AM »

Good job on the saber, that shroud design is fantastic!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Master Elwood Graestar
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2018, 11:46:09 AM »

Well done! I agree with D7- you can hardly see what is was originally🤙🏻.  More importantly- way to roll with all of the “missteps” or goofs along the way!  That’s a part of customizing that nobody ever really talks about: being ready and able to adapt to new ideas, biffed plans, inconvenient setbacks, and everything in between to still ultimately end up with a work of art.  More importantly to finish with something you’re proud of😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passions make life worthwhile and truth more profound.

lightside points if you would!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: