Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Star Wars - The Power of Costume Exhibit  (Read 9184 times)
Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« on: February 09, 2018, 07:32:33 PM »

So as I rolled off through the terminal of Tampa International Airport for a brief vacation I happened to look briefly to my left to see a giant poster of Queen Amidala and an advertisement for a Star Wars costuming exhibit in nearby St. Petersburg. Needless to say, I reworked my plans a little to include a trip to see it and boy, it was utterly fantastic. Here are a few choice pictures of the 350+ that I snapped. A special focus on the Jedi as I think many people here on the forums are looking to making those kinds of costumes and most Sith clothing tends to revolve around those fabric patterns as well.

We'll start with the one that essentially started it all for the Jedi costuming rubric for Star Wars to come. This is Sir Alec Guinness' robe and outfit the first time we see him in the saga. Note the dusty and dirty appearance, the actor actually rolled around in the sand and dust before filming his scenes so that the costume would appear more realistic. Note the very simple belt buckle, this would change a bit for the prequels.

This is a close up so you can really see the stains and dirt in the fabric and also the absolutely lovely texture of it. Texture is always a major factor with Jedi costumes in particular. It is super important that the camera be able to "see" the fabric even if it isn't in a close up. It's also something very important to remember if you are making a costume of your own. Always keep texture in mind.

Now we move onto Luke's costume from ROTJ. The cloak is very similar to his mentor Obi-Wan's but features a distinct black color for the tunic, tabards, and pants.

This is young Anakin's costume for the closing of Episode 1 after he has effectively been accepted into the Jedi Order. The inner and outer tunic plus Obi all have a very distinct waffle-shaped pattern that gives the costume a crisp look. Note the lone food capsule on the belt. It was the only one in the entire exhibit that I could spot.

Here's a better close up shot.

The money shot, this was a very cool part of the exhibit featuring both Sith and Jedi. Darth Maul sits in the center surrounded by the costumes of Jedi Masters Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn, Mace Windu, and Luminara Unduli. The sabers were of particular interest to me as I hadn't yet been able to get home and break open my waiting package which had my first saber in it.

Now a few bonuses:

Stormtrooper display, First Order trooper dead enter, Endor trooper on right, and First Order Snowtrooper on left.

Han Solo costume from ROTJ and Chewbacca from ANH.

R2 from ANH, C-3PO from ESB, and BB-8 from Force Awakens. These costumes (with the exception of BB-8 who isn't exactly a costume) were immaculate. The detail involved in making the droids look very much like autonomous machines rather than just a costume or a prop was exceptional.

A particularly imposing figure, this is the Vader suit from ROTS which Hayden got to wear. It is pretty terrifying (and very tall) in person and one can't help but feel a little on edge by it.

We'll wrap it up with with the wise old Jedi Master himself from ESB. The robes were designed off of Obi-Wan's costume from the previous movie and then caked with dirt and grime to give him the appearance of a swamp hermit. The puppet itself blows any from of CGI out of the bloody water. I half expected him to start talking at me from inside his glass cube.

So that's a brief sampling of the exhibit. As a huge fan of Star Wars and a lover of making and wearing costumes I was about as nuts as a kid in a candy shop through the whole thing. Not only did it give me such a deeper look into the saga it also made me realize something new about the costume creation. Ever since I got into cosplay I had always vaulted real movie costumes far above anything that I personally could ever hope to make (and to some degree that remains true); yet when I saw those Jedi tunics and tabards and realized rather suddenly that they were made very much the same way on a sewing machine as the one I made and have hanging in my closet... it just gave me a connection to the movies in a way that is difficult to describe.

I do have (many) more photos if perchance you guys and gals want more but I think this is good start for now.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

GrayTinker
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 64

Lady Gray. I fix stuff.

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 07:52:45 PM »

These are beautiful, and it must've been an amazing experience.  Thanks so much for sharing! 

-GT

Owned:  Standard Issue V3 FO  |  Dominix V2 AS  |  Dark Initiate V4 SY

Gray, but more light than dark. (Light Side Points Please)

"There is no light without dark, no up without down, no male without female - however, there will always be those that tread the unknown middle ground between them to make their own way in life and find their own balance." - Me

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 08:02:48 PM »

Thanks for sharing.  These costumes will be of great help for our cosplayers.  I was unable to get to the exhibit in Seattle.  Oh boy... I really missed out.  350+ super good photos !  Shocked

point  Cool

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 08:07:55 PM »

Wow how lucky did you get! That is awesome.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 10:58:41 PM »

Awesome! I would love to see more pics.

I might have to try to get to this...

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 11:25:08 PM »

Thank you all, I'm glad you enjoyed them and I will certainly peruse through my collection and pick out some more to post soon.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 11:28:41 PM »

Can I request a pic of Master Luminara Unduli's robes, if you have it?

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 11:34:45 PM »

Can I request a pic of Master Luminara Unduli's robes, if you have it?

I do have a somewhat good picture of her from the side that I'll include in the next batch. The only issue with that multiple costume display was that they were all facing Maul and set up on a platform so getting head-on shots was difficult.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 11:50:19 PM »

Saso that was incredible!  And if that is only a SMALL example of what you were able to capture, I would definitely be interested in seeing more!

Point!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 01:00:40 AM »

Ok so 2nd batch:

This one is for you Lady Kath, this was about as close as I could get because of the platform. The little plaque next to the display mentioned her skirt was made of leather that was hand-tooled and painted just like her arm cuffs. I kind of wish she had a bigger role in the movies to be honest but I guess we have to make do with the Clone Wars series. Interestingly, I googled the name of the exhibit and stuck her name on the end for an image search and found that as the exhibit travels around they display the costumes differently so there are better close-ups out there. The saber looks great and is actually a string LED inside the tube so that when it ignited for bystanders it gave the whole "igniting" effect.

Here's a close-up of Han's belt and you can clearly see the "old west" theme that they were going for. Good old Han the space cowboy.

This is one of my favorites because deep down I've always wanted to do a Tusken Raider costume. It is very similar fabric style compared to Jedi robes except the weave is massive and frayed beyond belief to give the creatures a wild appearance.

Here's a great shot of Obi-Wan's costume from TPM. According to the info the robes were made with vintage WWII-era wool and during the water scenes when heading towards Otoh Gunga the wool would shrink nearly *2 feet* in minutes. That meant that every single take they used and ruined a new cloak, they must have had more than a few made. Totally blows your mind, right?

Obi-Wan's lightsaber of course. One of the things I found hilarious was that I have spent way too much time looking at the Ultrasabers models and so when I saw the actual props I thought "wait it didn't actually look like that, the Ultrasaber looks like... ...oh yeah."

Qui-Gon Jinn's costume, very similar of course to Obi's but I love the boots and all those straps going across. I don't think any other Jedi has anything remotely close to that kind of design.

And of course the "Consular" if you will...

And a bonus, Palpatine's saber. Beautifully deadly doesn't even begin to describe it, the thing is gorgeous. I had always wondered if the saber was smaller than average because it looks small in Ian Mcdiarmid's hand and after a quick hand measure it turned out to be about 7 inches, definitely a smaller saber compared to the rest of the field. Superb for concealing it in your robes and cutting down Jedi like wheat.

More to come, like bounty hunters...

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 01:36:01 AM »

Thanks!

Also Sidious' saber *drool*

Darkside Points Please

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 04:01:20 AM »

Thank you VERY much for sharing these

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 05:23:50 AM »

I just made it through these, and was about to ask for more pics of Luminara, but LAK did it for me. Cheesy Can't wait for more.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 12:12:45 AM »

The fan favorite himself. The original helmet viewfinder was taken from a Polaroid camera and this costume is from ROTJ. I'll let actor Jeremy Bulloch explain it: "Once I put the costume on, I did feel quite dangerous... the costume did most of the work."

It would be crazy not to showcase the jetpack so here's a better shot of it. The man in the photograph was wearing one of those 501st Costume group shirts with the patches and I was sure to tell him that it was really sweet to see the 501st represented.

And Jango too, this costume was particularly important to me because I'm in the planning stages for Mandalorian armor and so seeing the costume was super valuable.

Spotlight on Jango's jetpack. This is the JT-12 model that was used before and during the Clone Wars. Very streamlined and very cool looking.

Somehow a shape shifting bounty hunter just sounds cool, good old Zam Wesell.

Finn's costume is fairly simple. Kind of a mesh shirt and a really nice leather jacket. It's little wonder that Poe briefly wanted it back as it is very nice looking.

Rey's scavenger costume. Not the biggest fan of Rey but the costume is pretty nice. It has a definite Tattooine-ish feel to it and shows that the environment on Jakku is very close if not near identical to Luke's home planet.

A few bonus props:

The caption basically explains this one. These are neat because sometimes objects held by CGI characters are not always real props so I was very happy to see these.

I love this one, Ian Mcdiarmid's fingernails after being fried by his own Force Lightning.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 03:45:45 AM »

Wow...so many fantastic pics!  And I love your synopses of them! 

Point!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: