Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: what kind of resistor can be used with all color LEDS?  (Read 2607 times)
darth pythagoris
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

I attack at right angles.....

« on: November 11, 2011, 05:22:05 PM »

Hello all,

I posted this somewhere else in this forum and Kelk1 advised me to post in a new topic (THANKS KELK1!)

So I looked all over and I couldn't find if this was answered anywhere....I promise!

My situation is this...

I am trying to build an obsidian saber and I want to use quick releases and MLS units to  be able to periodically change the color...Now the thing is, as I understand it, that the resistor requirements are different depending on the color I select...How is it that I am able to swap out mls units (without any resistor change) on an ultrasaber?  I mean, if there is a resistor in the hilt, how does it "adjust itself" to work with the color of the LED in the MLS unit? I've seen constant current drivers being sold, but those have to be set depending on what LED is being placed in the hilt.  also, there does not appear to be a resistor in the MLS unit (i'm guessing, i haven't actually disassembled one...)

Is there a resistor that can be used with all LED colors?

thanks

pythagoris

I attack at right angles........

KelK1-
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 3

I'm a Jedi

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 05:41:04 PM »

Hi again ! ^^

In my Consular with quick disconnect I have a 5.1 Ohm resistor. It's not a custom saber it's the basic configuration of ultrasaber. It works with Consular green and blazing red led. But if you calcul the current in my led you don't reach the maximum value that the led can support. So you have this solution or you can take for example a 1000mA Buckpuck and it will work perfect for consular green and royal blue saber for example. With this Buckpuck you can use Blazing red led too i think, but the led will be a little overdriven (normally the max current is 800 mA). For other color you should look some datasheet.

I hope i am clear my english is not very good sorry.

P.S : I'm talking about Seoul P4 LED.

Consular UE blade - CG and BR

darth pythagoris
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

I attack at right angles.....

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 06:04:26 PM »

Wow! thanks for the info Kelk1...

What kind of points do you desire?

So for the resistor in your consuler....is that the stock resistor that came with the saber?

And the fact that I've been changing leds in my ultrasabers without regard to 1) knowing what the exisiting resistor is and 2) not matching it to the led that i've been slapping in...could it damage something? (LED is ok but I don't want to damage my obsidian board)

Is overdrive (as in your example) bad? Is underdrive worse?

Thanks again!

Pythagoris

I attack at right angles........

KelK1-
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 3

I'm a Jedi

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 11:55:43 PM »

You're welcome !
Light side point for me Cheesy thanks

Yes, it's the resistor that came with the saber. What saber have you ? If you take the Li-ion batteries option you can switch between all leds which are provided by ultrasaber.
The overdrive can be bad if he is too big because the led can be destroy but a little can make the led much brighter!
The underdrive is not a problem at all but the blade will be less beautiful.

Consular UE blade - CG and BR

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: