Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: How to make PVC practice sabers  (Read 6212 times)
Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« on: February 10, 2018, 04:24:00 AM »

So this may not be the right place to post this, perhaps it can be moved if there is a more suitable place.

Anyways, about 8 months ago I decided that one day I would get an Ultrasaber but it wasn’t in my immediate future. Flash forward several months and The Last Jedi was getting closer and my anticipation of owning a saber started to grow. I wanted to train with it, learn how to move it around and nail some spinning techniques but my lack of saber prevented all that.

Finally I decided I would crank out a few practice sabers made from PVC pipe and go from there. This tutorial is basically to show you how to make some yourself and will hopefully appeal to those of you who are looking to eventually buy an Ultrasaber but haven’t quite done it yet and want to learn some of the moves beforehand. They are virtually indestructible and each saber costs about $2.50 to make so it is ideal for those trying to get into the sport on a shoestring budget.

List of supplies:

-PVC pipe, you want 1 inch diameter pipe that is relatively thick. My home improvement store sells a thin kind that is somewhat flexible but you want the kind that doesn’t flex at all and feels totally solid. Be warned, it comes in 10 foot long segments…

-A 1 inch PVC end cap, you can usually pick one up near the pipe itself, make sure it fits on before you leave the store (each saber you plan to make will need one)
-Hacksaw, this is used to cut the pipe + sandpaper to take off the burrs
-2mm craft foam, this goes on the hilt and trust me your hands will thank you
-White glue or a hot glue gun
-Duct tape in whatever color you wish

Here is a quick photo to get you pumped up to make these sabers. You can also make crossguard sabers by the way, more on that later.

Measurements are key when making these. I knew that I wanted an Apprentice V4 saber with a 32 inch blade and so I made my PVC saber to mimic the exact length of what I would eventually buy. The hilt length of the Apprentice V4 is listed as 9.875 inches and I knew from research that the hilt ate about 1.5 inches of the blade itself. That means I added the 9.875 inches to 30.5 for the blade and it ends up around 40.5 inches. That will be the total length of the saber. It is important that you push the end cap on first and then measure it out and use your hacksaw to cut the final length.

Now we measure that 9.875 inches from the end cap and mark it. The end cap to the line will be our hilt.

Now we cut some 2mm craft foam and wrap it around the hilt. Glue it down with either some white glue or just use a hot glue gun. The hot glue method is probably easier because it bonds quickly whereas the white glue method might be a little trickier because you’ll have to secure it with rubber bands or something similar until it dries. We are gluing the foam to the PVC because we don’t want it to slide around the pipe when you are using the saber.

And that’s practically it. Put one color duct tape on the hilt and end cap pommel and a different color for the “blade.” I used white duct tape to mimic the “Adegan Silver” LED color here. Duct tape is used because it can be easily peeled off and it is much tougher than paint. It’ll only start looking kind of rough after a lot of use and then you can just peel it off and apply new tape. As you can see I now have my Apprentice V4 and it is near identical in size to my PVC saber. Because of the PVC sabers I have made I was able to rip my Ultrasaber out of the box and immediately launch into an Obi-Ani spin like a pro because I had been practicing for months already.

Now a brief word about crossguard sabers. It is achieved with a cross PVC piece and then you stick 4 different pieces of PVC pipe into the cross section to make the saber. It’s that simple. My local home improvement store did not actually have this piece, I found mine in the junk bin of my local thrift store. You might have to do a little searching online to find one.

Hope you enjoy making your PVC sabers and practicing your heart out y’all

This weapon is your life.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

DaddyFlip
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 37

^DarthScrub Avatar Mod!

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 07:45:57 AM »

Cool post. I actually like the look of your worn duct tape hilt as much or more as your US hilt - there's a certain authenticity about it that strikes me the right way. I'm sure I would change my mind if I saw it in person. Elmer's makes a spray adhesive that would bond the foam instantly to the pipe.

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 09:16:40 PM »

Definitely useful tips here

GrayTinker
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 64

Lady Gray. I fix stuff.

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 11:14:14 PM »

Great post and a great little project!  I needed something quick to do today, and saw this - and since I'm a techy crafter / costumer / larper, I had nearly everything already to make one.  Smiley   I made a couple mods due to materials and what I had laying around, but the general idea's the same.  Foam wrapped 12" hilt, 30" blade, so about 42" overall.  I'm used to swinging a 39" sword for larp. 
My local ACE hardware has pre-cut 30" sections of PVC for just over $1.00, and I already had a 2' piece from another project, so I just cut the 2' in half and added a coupler.  I had blue gaffers tape from doing audio gigs, so I have a blue practice saber. Total time spent to make with trip to hardware store, about an hour. Voila! 

-GT

Owned:  Standard Issue V3 FO  |  Dominix V2 AS  |  Dark Initiate V4 SY

Gray, but more light than dark. (Light Side Points Please)

"There is no light without dark, no up without down, no male without female - however, there will always be those that tread the unknown middle ground between them to make their own way in life and find their own balance." - Me

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 11:47:19 PM »

Great post and a great little project!  I needed something quick to do today, and saw this - and since I'm a techy crafter / costumer / larper, I had nearly everything already to make one.  Smiley   I made a couple mods due to materials and what I had laying around, but the general idea's the same.  Foam wrapped 12" hilt, 30" blade, so about 42" overall.  I'm used to swinging a 39" sword for larp. 
My local ACE hardware has pre-cut 30" sections of PVC for just over $1.00, and I already had a 2' piece from another project, so I just cut the 2' in half and added a coupler.  I had blue gaffers tape from doing audio gigs, so I have a blue practice saber. Total time spent to make with trip to hardware store, about an hour. Voila! 

-GT

Looks fantastic! Best of luck with your practicing. Be careful with spinning and sparring as the PVC doesn't yield by any means. Practicing my spinning I must have clocked the back of my ankle a few times which would result in hopping around the backyard in agony.  Undecided

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 02:55:37 PM »

Thanks for sharing Wink

Just a warning for those who do not know: PVC produces shards when it breaks ... so be careful when fighting ... Protection glasses can be a good idea Wink

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 04:34:30 PM »

Thanks for sharing Wink

Just a warning for those who do not know: PVC produces shards when it breaks ... so be careful when fighting ... Protection glasses can be a good idea Wink

Good to know, I haven't been able to even dent the pipes after sparring as hard as possible so hopefully it isn't a major issue. Better safe than sorry though.

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 05:22:04 PM »

Good to know, I haven't been able to even dent the pipes after sparring as hard as possible so hopefully it isn't a major issue. Better safe than sorry though.

I am not saying that it breaks easily but it breaks Wink

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 02:30:55 AM »

cool beans! Wanted to make something to use for learning to spin and not with my preshusssssssss US!

Any modifications needed to address weight/balance before I go about trying this? This is essentially just a staff treated like its a saber right?

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2021, 02:33:34 AM »

Cool. Also another larp idea, why not do the pvc hilt, but then fiber rod core/foam blade kinda thing? Would be safer I think =] Just an idea though Tongue When I built my first larp beater I did the golf club business end bit then the foam covering method, so could work the same way possibly

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: