Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
Author Topic: My journey to getting a full motorcycle licence  (Read 32262 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« on: February 10, 2018, 05:09:08 PM »

After 9 years of commuting by bicycle in London I decided it was time to upgrade to something with a motor. Due to cost of/lack of parking in London, on top of the congestion charge (https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/congestion-charge) I didn't want to get a car.

In the UK you need there are several classes of motorcycle licence. Each has an engine size restriction on it meaning you have to be a certain age before you can ride bigger and faster bikes. (check out this link that explains the difference licences and what age you have to be: http://www.geton.co.uk/motorcycle-training-licence/)

As I am over 24 (and still as pretty as ever) I have started my journey to getting a full licence. I have my two jackets (1 leather, 1 wax textile), I have my gloves, I have my kevlar jeans and boots. And now I have my CBT, which I completed approx. 45mins ago (UK time of course).

Currently looking to book my theory test (another prerequisite) and next stage of my training starts a week on Tuesday.

More updates to follow...

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 05:23:27 PM »

Way to go!

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 05:32:31 PM »

Good luck. Having visited London from Texas it is a totally different world for sure. When there so we did was walk and use the Tubes. I think we took a bus twice. Traffic is crazy!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 05:49:14 PM »

Good luck. Having visited London from Texas it is a totally different world for sure. When there so we did was walk and use the Tubes. I think we took a bus twice. Traffic is crazy!
Yeah, public transport in London is amazingly convenient (tube, overground, tram, bus, night bus, train). However, while personal experience has taught me the quickest way to get around London is by bicycle (as busy and dangerous as it occasionally can be), having a motorbike won't increase my travel time too much, there are no parking charges, £10 fills up the tank and should last about a month and if I want to get away from The Shire for the weekend to visit some friends, it'll only take me 90 mins or so.

Plus, motorbikes are cool!  Grin

Way to go!

Thanking you

Illyiss
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 05:52:23 PM »

Plus, motorbikes are cool!  Grin

Indeed they are!  Got one in mind that you want to get?

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 06:04:06 PM »

Indeed they are!  Got one in mind that you want to get?

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/street/cmx500-rebel/overview.html

Already have plans to modify/customise it a bit.

Illyiss
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 06:06:25 PM »

Very nice.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 06:18:06 PM »

Nice looking ride.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 07:10:16 PM »

Good luck, Knox. Motorcycles are a lot of fun.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 07:19:07 PM »

Good luck, Knox. Motorcycles are a lot of fun.
Thanks man. Do you ride?

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 07:50:08 PM »

Hi Knox.  Congrats and that sure will be a great new way to navigate around London and especially the countryside.  Smiley

Have just removed that most annoying and outdated photobucket kitten from your signature.  Please fill the space with something else if you desire.  Most members are using the free site imgur now.

Incase you were unaware... there is now a maximum 200x700 pixel limitation on signatures including any words.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 07:53:19 PM »

I have just removed that most annoying and outdated photobucket kitten from your signature.  Please fill the space with something else if you desire.  Most members are using the free site imgur now.
Kept meaning to get around to doing that. Thanks.

Hi Knox.  Congrats and that sure will be a great new way to navigate around London and especially the countryside.  Smiley
Cheers.

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 08:01:23 PM »

Thanks man. Do you ride?

Yes I do. I've had several family members who owned bikes, and I bought this one in 2003. It's a 2003 Harley V-Rod. I still own it, but I don't get to ride it nearly as much as I used to.

The pinstripe on the air box cover looks pink, but it is gold to celebrate the fact that it was their 100th anniversary. I've put some more chrome on it, put blue LED lights around it, and a few high performance parts as well.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2018, 08:09:06 PM »

Yes I do. I've had several family members who owned bikes, and I bought this one in 2003. It's a 2003 Harley V-Rod.
Ooo, that's nice. How's the ride? I've heard that Harley's vibrate a lot.

Really looking forward to getting the Rebel. Planning on new LED turn signals, head & tail lights, paint job inspired by the 1960s AC Shelby Cobra, custom seat, new exhaust obviously, new handlebars/grips/switches/mirrors. Not sure about in the states but in the UK there's a bit of a craze for scramblers, bobbers and cafe racer type mods. Hopefully, by the time I'm finished some elements of those bike types will be there, but in a very unique way.

Landen Se-Sentien
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2018, 08:15:55 PM »

Ooo, that's nice. How's the ride? I've heard that Harley's vibrate a lot.

Really looking forward to getting the Rebel. Planning on new LED turn signals, head & tail lights, paint job inspired by the 1960s AC Shelby Cobra, custom seat, new exhaust obviously, new handlebars/grips/switches/mirrors. Not sure about in the states but in the UK there's a bit of a craze for scramblers, bobbers and cafe racer type mods. Hopefully, by the time I'm finished some elements of those bike types will be there, but in a very unique way.

Harleys used to vibrate a lot, but over a decade ago they counterweighted and rubber mounted their engines, and now the ride is much smoother.

Yeah, those are all pretty popular here too, depending on your riding style and needs.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: