Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Author Topic: My journey to getting a full motorcycle licence  (Read 32266 times)
Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2018, 06:21:53 PM »

I know some people like to complain about public transport in London, but when you look at it objectively we are really really fortunate with all the options we have: The Underground (or Metro for my American audience),
We here in the states call it a Subway Tongue.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2018, 07:04:56 PM »

That's what I said. Subway. I in no way made a mistake (damn new fangled translation matrix technology! Grin)

DaddyFlip
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 37

^DarthScrub Avatar Mod!

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2018, 12:39:13 AM »

Your new bike interest is called a Bolt over here. Pretty cool bike; I think cooler than the Rebel, BUT the Rebel is a newer design, and also smaller displacement I think. You're almost up in Harley 883 Iron or Dark territory now. But I bet the import duties make Harley's really expensive. How long until you have a bike? Can't wait to see what you choose.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2018, 07:00:26 PM »

As a brand, I like Harley Davidson. But I would never buy one. Just something about them doesn't appeal to me as something to own. Not sure why.

As for the XV950 Bolt, the reason my eyes and ears perked up is because I can get a 2014 or 2015 one with around 4000 miles on the clock for about the same price as a brand new Rebel. Financially it just makes sense to get a bigger (and better?) bike that will last me longer. Plus the XV950 is just as customisable as the  Rebel. Even more so as there are hundreds of after market mods available, whereas the Rebel currently has none.

As for how long I have to wait. I have my gear conversion training tomorrow (basically spending an hour learning how to ride a bike with gears). I need to wait for payday so I can book my theory test and then I can move on to Module 1 (slow manoeuvres round cones, U-turns, emergency stops etc) and then Module 2 (riding on the road with an instructor giving instructions over bluetooth headphones). Hopefully within 3 weeks I should be fully trained and actually on a bike.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2018, 05:59:39 PM »

So my gear conversion course had to be split in half. The instructor was running late this morning due to traffic, so we only got to slow clutch control and changing from 1st to 2ns gear. Weren't able to get out on the road. But that's fine. My over-analytical side crept in towards the end of the lesson and was starting to cause a few hiccups, so having a week to absorb, reflect and digest is a good thing.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2018, 06:30:26 PM »

*UPDATE*

I am surprised at how long it is taking to get my modules booked in for me to learn and take my test. However, the whole reason I wanted to get a motorbike was mainly to give me an extra option when commuting to work. So, I've decided to get a cheap 125cc runaround so I can be mobile and get some practical road experience under my belt while I do my modules (which now looks like won't be completed till mid-end of March).

I have a test ride booked in on Saturday and, assuming I like it, I should be tearing up London streets by as early as Tuesday

https://www.hanwaymotor.co.uk/model/Hanway-Scrambler-125

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2018, 08:24:58 PM »

*UPDATE*

Tomorrow's test ride got cancelled as someone else bought the bike earlier today  Angry Angry Angry

Fortunately, while browsing online I found another bike that I really like. Was on the phone with the dealer throughout the day sorting out finance, which has been approved. Just need to pay the deposit on Weds when I get paid and the bike will be delivered 3 days later.

Here are some pictures of MY FIRST EVER MOTORBIKE!

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2018, 07:22:30 PM »

So, London got hit by 4 inches of snow last week (not a lot, I know, when compared to some places in America, but it's a big deal in London as it happens so infrequently). Unfortunately, the adverse weather conditions meant my gear conversion lesson got rescheduled (again) for this Saturday.  Cry

However, on the plus side, my bike got delivered today. I managed to wangle the whole day off work and have been out on it for a few jaunts round my neighbourhood. It's very comfortable and smooth when riding. My open face helmet gives me great field of vision (very useful when riding in London). The only complaint I have about the bike is the mirrors. They aren't adjustable and I can't see what's behind me. Have ordered some replacement as it's an easy fix. Hopefully, by Thursday, I'll be up and running and able to ride to work.

While I was sat on it outside my house reading the owners manual and familiarising myself with the controls I had 4 random pedestrians compliment the bike. Plus, my last jaunt out was right around school kicking out time, and Virgil received quite a few appreciate (and jealous) looks.

Light/dark side point to the first person who can guess why I named my bike "Virgil"

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2018, 09:40:46 PM »

Sweet looking bike, I haven't heard of Bullit and when I first saw the name and color I thought it was a theme bike for the movie Bullitt (the green Mustang).

Anyway still a great looking ride.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2018, 10:31:42 PM »

Sweet looking bike, I haven't heard of Bullit and when I first saw the name and color I thought it was a theme bike for the movie Bullitt (the green Mustang).

Anyway still a great looking ride.

The company is Belgian. Not a lot of information available on them. But as an urban runaround it is perfect. And SOOOOO pretty. I do believe that they made this one only available in green is because of the Steve McQueen classic. I'll have a review video up at some point that I may post on here.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2018, 06:42:27 PM »

I MADE IT!!! RODE TO WORK AND BACK AGAIN. First time riding the bike on the rode. No crashes. No close calls. Stalled 9 times this morning during my journey in, but only 3 times on the way home. Definitely improving and nowhere near as difficult as I was expecting. Heard some random people compliment the bike as I rode past. I even managed to overtake a car this evening. And I was even able to wear my aviator sunglasses under my helmet.

In conclusion, day 1: I'm still alive, I didn't kill anyone and I had fun.

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2018, 10:59:05 PM »

Congrats!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2018, 11:13:31 PM »

So, London got hit by 4 inches of snow last week (not a lot, I know, when compared to some places in America, but it's a big deal in London as it happens so infrequently). Unfortunately, the adverse weather conditions meant my gear conversion lesson got rescheduled (again) for this Saturday.  Cry

However, on the plus side, my bike got delivered today. I managed to wangle the whole day off work and have been out on it for a few jaunts round my neighbourhood. It's very comfortable and smooth when riding. My open face helmet gives me great field of vision (very useful when riding in London). The only complaint I have about the bike is the mirrors. They aren't adjustable and I can't see what's behind me. Have ordered some replacement as it's an easy fix. Hopefully, by Thursday, I'll be up and running and able to ride to work.

While I was sat on it outside my house reading the owners manual and familiarising myself with the controls I had 4 random pedestrians compliment the bike. Plus, my last jaunt out was right around school kicking out time, and Virgil received quite a few appreciate (and jealous) looks.

Light/dark side point to the first person who can guess why I named my bike "Virgil"

The Great Escape - Steve McQueen's character was named Virgil. That's my guess anyway, seeing how you're a movie buff.

Congrats on your first day out and about! Always a great feeling.

To work on stalling, I suggest "friction zone" training. The friction zone is when the clutch gets let out enough for the bike to start moving. Fire up the bike with the clutch pulled in. Rock back on your heels, and sliwly the let out the clutch and slowly give it gas. When the bike begins to move, you'll roll onto the soles of your feet. Pull the clutch back in, and it will stop with your leg power. Rock back onto your heels, and repeat the process. You'll end up just rocking back and forth in olace, but you'll get a great feel for how your bike operates, and you'll stall a lot less.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2018, 11:29:29 PM »

Thanks. I know why I was stalling (letting clutch out too quickly without enough throttle), which is probably why it happened less on the way home. But was to be expected seeing as how it's only my fifth time on a bike. I foresee no such problems tomorrow (he said confidently before the bike explodes in a massive fireball! lol).

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2018, 12:13:08 AM »

Yeah, you'll get the hang of it in no time.

Nice bike, by the way. I forgot to say that earlier.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: