Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: 5 Saber Review with pics (sorry no vid)  (Read 1586 times)
DaddyFlip
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 37

^DarthScrub Avatar Mod!

« on: February 11, 2018, 01:17:01 AM »

This is what I purchased over the holiday as a result of TFA release with my final blade configurations:

• Azure Menace with Diamond Controller and 32" midgrade standard blade
  • Dark Initiate V4 with windows and 24" midgrade UE blade (Guardian Blue)
  • Aeon V4 with windows and 32" midgrade UE blade (Guardian Blue)
  • Aeon V4 LE with windows and 36" midgrade standard blade (Arctic Blue)
  • Dark Initiate V3 LE with LITE sound and 36" midgrade UE blade (Blazing Red with AS FoC)

Azure Menace: LOVE the Diamond Controller! It's lots of fun and you have access to any color and sound palette you can imagine. This saber is a birthday gift to my niece who loves Star Wars and blue. With a 32" midgrade blade, the balance point is right at the edge of the emitter, which works well here (36" balances on the blade, one inch beyond the emitter). I got a Covertec and recharge port, also highly recommended if you can afford it. So far, I haven't had any problems programming the board or using the controller. The bottom knurled knob came off almost immediately because the threads are so short to accommodate the threads of the pommel. I would guess that half of the Menace hilts shipped out have this screw fail; it would be better not to put anything here IMO. I was able to replace it with a small acorn nut and a short piece of nylon thread. The Menace has three blade retention screws; if you want to use a blade plug, you have to remove two of the retention screws completely or partially drill holes in the plug so the screws will seat all the way.  Otherwise, the 'cage' part of the emitter will not slide down all the way. Those are the only quirks I've found. Really pleased with this one.

Dark Initiate V4: The above qualified for a free Initiate in the Christmas sale. This is also going to my niece. It's Guardian Blue with a blue button, so she will like it. Not much to say other than I like the V3 Initiate better, although emitter windows help it stand out a little.

Aeon V4: This was a $75 MB that came in at $74.99 (windows). This is also going to my niece. It's Guardian Blue with a blue button, so she can have a matching main/offhand set and mom and dad or a couple of friends have something to swing around. With either a 32" or 36" blade, the balance is awesome for spinning. I've been trying to learn Obi Ani for awhile and couldn't get it with a practice PVC saber I built. But within a few minutes of swinging this, I was doing the Obi Ani without problems, even in a small space. I thought the hilt length was going to be a pain, but with a long blade, it is excellent.

Aeon V4 LE: This was a $75 MB that came in at $99.99 (Arctic Blue, AV switch, windows). I'm keeping this one for myself! Same as the above, I'll probably make this my primary spinning saber.

Dark Initiate LE V3: This was a $200 MB that came in at $224.99 (LITE sound, AV switch, FoC, 36" blade). I'm surprised how much I like this hilt. I like it more than the V4. And this one came in Blazing Red, so my Darkness is satisfied (I'm keeping this one for myself). It doesn't balance very well with a 36" blade, but that could be fixed with a more robust pommel, which I'm going to do. I could always go to a 32" blade, but it still doesn't balance just right. Still, with the long blade, there's no problem swinging or spinning due to the design and feel of the hilt; simple but effective. Really pleased with this MB.

I probably would not do MB's anymore, but if I did, I would do it when US business is really slow.  This time, I did it because I wanted extra blades with different lengths and styles and I wanted some extra sabers to send to my niece. For this, the MB is a good idea (but it was not a good idea for an early January birthday gift - it's now a month later and I'm just getting to send!).

However, I did find out that I much prefer regular blades to Ultra Edge blades. There's a time and place for both, but I would choose regular everytime for every color because it just has a glow, another dimension, that the UE does not have. I tested the regular blade on the Diamond Controller and every color looks fantastic - this is for medium grade. My niece is getting 32" blades in regular and UE; I'm keeping the 36" blades in regular and UE. She's also getting a 24" UE in her Dark Initiate V4. Regular all the way for me.

So what's next for me? I thought I would be done after this order, but there might be a little sickness hanging around that makes me want a couple of other sabers. I definitely want a Diamond of my own and one will be sufficient; deciding which ONE is the trick, but I've probably already whittled it down to two or three. I can see one or two Tri-Cree stunt spinners with regular blades. Yellow is my favorite blade color, followed by Arctic Blue and Blazing Red.

Hope this was enjoyable/helpful.

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 02:09:47 AM »

Thanks for the review, enjoyed reading it. You can never have enough sabers.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 04:06:56 AM »

Very good start to the collection there

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 09:23:46 AM »

Excellent DaddyFlip!

A great start. Smiley

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

ProDadoune
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 56

May the Force be with you!

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 03:43:31 PM »

Thanks 😀

OWNED: Graflex CE (Diamond), Dark initiate LE V4 amber (stunt), Chosen One SE blazing red (Obsidian v4 sound)

Blacktooth25
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -92

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 04:34:42 PM »

Great review and very nice collection!

Current Sabers:
Manticore (Diamond)
Dark Apprentice V4 (Obs Lt) Consular Green
Dark Initiate LE V4 (Obs Lt) Blazing Red
Dark War Glaive (Stunt) Guardian Blue

Diesel
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -91

Give Yourself To The Dark Side

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 10:35:47 PM »

Nice collection

Chosen One CE, Diamond
Graflex CE
Fulcrum, diamond
Manticore, custom install
Menace. custom install
Dark Menace, custom install
Raven, custom install
Guardian, emerald, obsidian v4 sound
Scorpion, red w/silver FOC, obsidian v4 sound
Dark Initiate le v3, red w/va FOC, obsidian v4 sound
Aeon le v4, artic blue
Dark Sentinel v4, quad green, custom sound

Darth Davester
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -132

Dark Side Points, please

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 10:53:20 PM »

Nice review, and that Menace looks cool as heck!

+1 for you!

I am one with the Force, the Force is with me.

Arsenal:
Dark Apprentice LE v5 Banes Heart Stunt-incoming
Dark Arbiter Consular Green Stunt
Dark Prophecy v3 Blazing Red Obsidian v4
Dark Sentinel LE v4 Arctic Blue Stunt

MavRick
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 603

May the force be with you! (give light side )

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 10:18:28 PM »

Cool looking sabers and pics.  Shocked Point to you for sharing !  I also agree with you on the blades.

Sabers I own:                                           
 Graflex Tri-cree AB w/sd & bronze buttons
 Consular CG w/sd an silver foc
 Archon CG w/sd an silver foc
 Prophecy CG w/sd an silver foc
 Dorinian SRD w/lite sd and AB foc
 Guardian in GB
 Aeon V3 in GB
 Dark Standard Issue BR w/vert grooves
 Dark Apprentice AB (Freebee!)
 Sentinel LE V4 w/windows in SY
 Dark Sentinel LE V5 in AB (raffle prize)
 Initiate LE V4 in GB
 Franken saber in VA
Wish list: Dark Prophecy BR w/sd, dark cat pommel;
Ordered: Exile CG w/sd; Dominix LE V2 in BR gift for a friend

JackSquare
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 20

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 04:03:54 AM »

That's a pretty cool line up!!!  Thanks for sharing!

-Apprentice v4, Consular Green
-Archon v2.1, Guardian Blue
-Dark Sentinel v4, Fire Orange

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 05:30:15 AM »

Good review DF, I too absolutely love my azure menace but had the same issues.  Luckily they are easily remedied.  You can switch out all three retention screws for slightly shorter ones and avoid them catching on the cage.  Not sure why US doesn't do this as standard.  I had to force the cage off the first time I wanted to change the blade which of course scratched the inside anodizing as it scraped across the top of the screw as I pulled the cage out.  Being the inside of the cage it is totally not visible so I did not care but promptly went to the hardware store and bought the needed 3 each #8-32 x 3/16" long retention screws that this particular hilt needs.  This would avoid your drilling into blade plugs suggestion too.  Now my retention screws fit slightly inside the holes so the cage slides freely on and off.

Also with a little bit of gentle nudging, I got US to take care of the bottom knurled button issue under warranty without the need of sending the entire hilt back.  And keeping with their great customer service, Will (the Saberking) sent me not one but two blue anodized replacement buttons where the threaded portion of the button is cut a little longer.  Since the threading is a little longer it engages and holds in place perfectly (the second one is cut even longer too in case I want to use with an extra washer).  These are minor issues for improvement on an overall wonderful saber that is even made better when you get the Diamond controller on it.

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

Darth_Eclipse
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -33

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 06:23:23 AM »

Nice Choices, just starting my collection, good ideas for my future purchases

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: