Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: process  (Read 1821 times)
mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« on: February 13, 2018, 02:33:45 AM »

I have some ideas that may work for a story. II'm not exactly a writer but I do enjoy being creative. So, what is your process for putting a story together?

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 03:08:08 AM »

Hey, great question. I am not much of a writer either, but for Shadow of the Outcast (the story I have been posting on here), I started it out based off of a saber that I have. I was playing with the saber, and an idea for a beginning and an ending popped into my head. So I wrote the prologue, and it was exactly what I wanted. I had a bit of trouble figuring out what I wanted for chapter 1, but once that happened, I wrote that, and again, it turned out great. Chapter 2 however, I had nothing. I had no idea how to get from chapter 1 to the end. I thought about it, and tried to write chapter 2, but it just wasn't working. Eventually I decided to map out each of the chapters with main points or stuff I wanted to happen in them. That actually went fairly well, and once I had something to work with, the chapters would be pretty easy to write. The chapter I am currently on is a bit more difficult because I can't figure out how to write what I want too, but everything else has been fun and relatively easy. So that is my process. Get a beginning and and ending, then write an chapter-by-chapter outline of how to get from the beginning to the ending.

Hope you get it figured out. Smiley

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 03:47:30 AM »

TR's process is a perfect example.  When I was thinking about writing "A Tarnished Knight," I had a beginning and an ending.  As I began to write the subsequent chapters, I found that I kept coming up with other ideas as time went on, which ended up...not exactly changing but certainly giving more depth to the story.

One of the biggest inspirations for my writing has been my fellow writers, specifically Karm, LSG, TR, and (most recently) TDC.  I love being able to reference their works as well, work them in organically which--in turn--enriches my own narrative.  My second story, "Shadow Etude," was done in direct collaboration with Karm's excellent "Wind Chimes."  Again: having so much wonderful information, characterization, and insight (from the feedback as well as the writers themselves) really help to make the story come to life.

But that's just me  Smiley

Just know this, Mrg149: you CAN do it!  And, in this august company, you will find support and constructive critique from people who not only share your passion and hobby, but can ELEVATE it!

If I haven't said it to you before, let me say it now: read my fellow writers' stories!  They can inspire your writing!  They certainly did for me  Wink

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 04:41:14 AM »

Generally I have a broad story arc to start off with and write out a bunch of main dot points that flow the story from start to finish (big crucial events and some dialogue of cool stuff or people to say), for my most recent story this was about five pages.  It’s not so much a start and finish as it is a series of dramatic events the characters experience that I link together.

Then I started fleshing out scenes from all over the place, not start to finish necessarily.  I do this bit by bit for a while, going back and changing scenes till I had about 15 pages of text (so triple the broad layout).  Then I started doing individual chapters start to finish, but as I went, and thought of new things and realised things didn’t fit I went back and re did different sections finally producing the first draft.

So after that did a big read through and chopped and changed gain, split some chapters, even added a whole new character (I write from multiple POV like Game of Thrones), change how some things happened etc. in terms of emphasis. 

Then I started posting chapter by chapter rather than a giant dump – this gives me time to not only get feedback from all our friends here, but also think of how to do the later chapters a little better as I read others stories

e.g. Karm/Dutchmans series Gray and unchained has given me some ideas of how to redo different bits to smooth out some scenes, and the feedback I get has encouraged me to focus a bit more on specific characters than what I had originally intended, but the overall arc and major plot points remains the same to prevent it going out of control, it’s just how I get from A to B that changes a bit (notably who’s POV I take to describe different events – “You’ll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view”).

Honestly though based on your Twin suns short story, you should be fine, but yeah feel free to Message any ideas or questions if you prefer to do it privately, I'm sure everyone here will be happy to help you out.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 02:16:18 PM »

Hey!  Looks like you've gotten some good advice already!  :-)

I will echo what everyone else has said.  I have a bad habit at times of "shooting from the hip" while I write, just sitting down and typing away.  That's great for an Interlude or something very short, but if you want to tell a story the best thing to do is spend a little bit of time deciding what that story is!  What TR and the others have described is the best way to go.  I've adopted that format myself, after my middle story wandered far more than I had intended.  :-)

Start with the highest level:  "I want to tell how Mr. X became a Jedi."  then lay out some plot point, and connecting points, and then "connect the dots" as it were.  :-) 

As LSG said, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask!  We all love to write and we're all more than willing to help out.  Read the offerings here as well, LSG's Aethan series is excellent, TR's story is coming along nicely and is VERY good, and Dutchman and I have some good stuff, too, at the risk of immodesty.  And we've done a LOT of cross-over.

The Drunken Brothers is also VERY good.  :-)  And we've managed to suck him into our conspiracy as well!  LOL

But do your thing!  Your first offering was very good, I'd love to read more that you have to offer.  :-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 02:49:31 AM »

Thanks everyone…seriously! I already feel excited to join a community of support that I'm getting here…and it's given me a bit of courage to move ahead. I'll definitely heed the advice of my sage masters here as I start mapping out my story…more soon…hopefully. Tongue

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 08:11:56 AM »

So admittedly, my process is unorthodox, though doubtfully unique.  I let characters present (form or build if you like, but to me it feels like they introduce themselves lol) in my head, and then, when the interactions start, with one another, with a setting, or multiple settings, I start typing away, letting the characters and story develop organically.  Then, when I get to a stopping point; by time, running out of steam, or just deciding it's a good point to pause; I go back and edit first for spelling, then go through it making sure tense, syntax, grammar, and flow all fit.  Very rarely, I will read through a third time just to make sure I am satisfied. 

Then I fight the anxiety demon, wrestling with the epic foe, until I actually post it.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: