Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: Master A. says: The Seven Forms are BS!  (Read 13626 times)
Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2018, 10:07:44 PM »

According to the history I know the Highland games were developed as a means of combat training that wasn't apparent to the British. I honestly couldn't imagine getting crushed by a tossed caber.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Master Althalus
Resident Master
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 39

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2018, 01:47:37 PM »

Highland games were developed as a means of combat training that wasn't apparent to the British
I only know of Shinty as a way to teach mass-fighting, covered up in a game (the same seems to be true for Irish Hurley). And hitting someone with a stick is defenitely good training to do the same with 'real' weapons.  Wink

Sabers
Emerald: Dark Mantis
Obsidian v4: Shock, Dark Initiate v4, Consular
Obsidian Lite: Aeon v4, Dominix LE v4
Stunt: Apprentice v4, Initiate LE v2, Aeon v4

DarfHaydarr
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: -3

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2018, 11:35:43 PM »

THANK YOU SO MUCH
I am purchasing my first few sabers (I am buying three, so my friends and I can duel, and learn together) later this month, so I am just getting into the hobby, and reading this made me relieved to know that I should not focus on stupid forms, but rather on what works for me specifically.

Red Flamberge LE (Stunt), Green Sentinel LE V4 (Stunt), Arctic Blue Sentinel V4 (Stunt), White Aeon LE V4 (Stunt)

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2018, 05:32:12 PM »

THANK YOU SO MUCH
I am purchasing my first few sabers (I am buying three, so my friends and I can duel, and learn together) later this month, so I am just getting into the hobby, and reading this made me relieved to know that I should not focus on stupid forms, but rather on what works for me specifically.

The Seven Forms themselves are pretty much fictional fun, but you're typically going to start with SOME kind of standardized structure.  It's how you learn the basics and develop your foundation, and after that you become more focused, and work on the specifics of your particular methods.

Master Althalus
Resident Master
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 39

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2018, 06:06:32 AM »

going to start with SOME kind of standardized structure
IMHO one should start with the basics of fighting: stance, footwork, defense and blade control. Structure doesn't matter that much at this stage, besides maybe deciding on a method to begin with.  Wink

Sabers
Emerald: Dark Mantis
Obsidian v4: Shock, Dark Initiate v4, Consular
Obsidian Lite: Aeon v4, Dominix LE v4
Stunt: Apprentice v4, Initiate LE v2, Aeon v4

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2018, 12:00:54 PM »

IMHO one should start with the basics of fighting: stance, footwork, defense and blade control. Structure doesn't matter that much at this stage, besides maybe deciding on a method to begin with.  Wink

Yeah, the basics were essentially what I was referencing.  We all have slightly different ways of describing the path to training, but I think we're all essentially saying the same thing (for the most part).

As always, one surefire way to provide yourself a good foundation in lightsaber combat is to seek out instruction in some weapon based martial art.  With a good teacher, and an art that focuses on combat applications, you'll have an extremely strong starting point for saber combat.

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2018, 02:35:32 AM »

The Seven Forms themselves are pretty much fictional fun, but you're typically going to start with SOME kind of standardized structure.  It's how you learn the basics and develop your foundation, and after that you become more focused, and work on the specifics of your particular methods.

100% agree. We decided a few years back to use Kali ( Inosanto Method ) as our primary " key " to translate the Forms. It's worked out great so far. Our Form 2 , 3 and 6 have a little bit of a Meihuaquan flare as well.

Basics, basics and then more basics. Most important skills IMO. No matter what your art. You don't build a house from the top. So why would you want to skip to the advance stuff. ( Said to no one in particular. Just something I say to our Kali Kids at the Academy. All they want to do is the Advanced material. The " Cool " looking stuff )

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: