Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: How to make Jedi Food Capsules  (Read 13810 times)
Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« on: February 16, 2018, 02:07:22 AM »

So this is effectively the second tutorial in my Jedi costume series and today it’s all going to be about Jedi food capsules. The first tutorial on Jedi belt pouches is here: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0

Food capsules are an interesting prop in the Star Wars universe. They are worn dominantly by Jedi during the Prequels and serve as a form of sustenance for long journeys and missions. Here’s what they look like inside, this is from the Star Wars Visual Encyclopedia and was actually the first time I’d ever seen the inside of one. In the films they are totally static props, never used and never mentioned as far as I know. There are a few tutorials on making these online that are fairly similar but I thought I would post up the method I used in hopes of sharing the knowledge.

We’ll be making non-opening ones today using some pen caps and other items. Here’s the supply list:

-Pen caps, I’m using “R2 Rollers” (ironic name, lol) from my local Dollar Tree
-Scrap piece of EVA foam
-Rounded tack
-Hot glue gun
-Hobby knife
-Paint (spray paint or acylic paint and a paintbrush)
-Clear coat paint
-Coarse steel wool

Here’s a before and after shot of what you are looking to make, though I'll be making a different color. Not perfectly accurate to the screen used props (which were made with Staedtler pen caps by the way) but they look pretty close and should work for your costume as well as fulfill the requirements for many Jedi costuming groups.

Here’s what those R2 Rollers look like as well as the rounded tack. I think I can tell you early that finding that particular tack or something similar might be a little tricky. Experimentation might be the best way to go, I simply found a bunch of those tacks in the junk drawer as it were.

First thing I do is push the tack into my piece of EVA foam, trace around it with pen, and use my hobby knife to cut it out. You’ll probably have to trim it a little as it has to fit inside the pen cap.

Stick the pin through the Eva foam and test it out a few times to see if it fits into the pen cap. It has to fit flush so if it wants to push itself out then more trimming on the foam is required.

Take your hot glue gun and glue on the inside of the pen cap and fit the piece inside. Try to make sure some glue gets on the pointy end of the tack and the EVA foam so that it is totally sealed together with no hope of coming out.

Time to paint, if you want to go hardcore you can sand down the pen cap before painting but with this particular kind of project it’s not really necessary. I typically put a few base coats of flat black spray paint (or a few coats applied by hand if you are going that route) and then apply the final color but for this tutorial I’m doing it a little differently from my usual method. I’m going to weather this particular capsule so I’m applying several coats of Krylon “Brilliant Aluminum” color so that later on I can scrape off the top color to reveal “bare metal” underneath.

I use the simple box and string method for painting. Best part about painting it this way is that you can flip the pen cap upside down on the string to paint it more effectively.

Now time for the main color coat of paint, I’m using Rust-oleum Satin paint in a kind of rich burgundy color. A few coats of that and let it each one dry.

Now grab some coarse steel wool and scrape the pen cap gently until you get some good looking marks. Two things to remember, don’t make the scratches look consistent (weathering should be natural and somewhat random) and don’t scrape too hard or you’ll get right down to the pen cap plastic in no time.

Now apply a few coats of clear coat paint, I’m using Krylon “Gloss crystal clear.” This will seal all those beautiful imperfections and scratches so that they stay the same way.

Voila, that’s what they look like when done. The main colors for Jedi food capsules tend to be chrome/silver, gold, copper, and dark gray. The red one I made in this tutorial is for a dark side costume of a character who was once a Jedi so he retained this particular prop. As far as I know, there are no dark side users who carry food capsules.

Hope you enjoy making them, y'all!

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

GrayTinker
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 64

Lady Gray. I fix stuff.

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 02:12:56 AM »

I love brilliant tutorials like this, especially the use of dollar tree stuff and EVA foam.  (Mostly 'cos I already use both frequently in my LARP crafting..)

This is awesome, keep it up!  Would love to see other ideas and tutorials you have, Saso.

+1

-GT

Owned:  Standard Issue V3 FO  |  Dominix V2 AS  |  Dark Initiate V4 SY

Gray, but more light than dark. (Light Side Points Please)

"There is no light without dark, no up without down, no male without female - however, there will always be those that tread the unknown middle ground between them to make their own way in life and find their own balance." - Me

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 02:14:57 AM »

I love brilliant tutorials like this, especially the use of dollar tree stuff and EVA foam.  (Mostly 'cos I already use both frequently in my LARP crafting..)

This is awesome, keep it up!  Would love to see other ideas and tutorials you have, Saso.

+1

-GT

Thank you kindly  Cheesy

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 02:20:46 AM »

Excellent tutorial and use of creativity.  I am sitting here looking at a Pentel R.S.V.P. that I have laying around, thinking it would work.  Sure, certain strict groups may not want the differences (which is their prerogative), but I think the creativity is the lifeblood of imagination.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 01:58:38 PM »

Saso you are amazing!  Outstanding craftsmanship and creativity!  I love it!

Point!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

frankmoses
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 17

Light side points, please

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 01:26:21 AM »

Great tutorial! Point given! I would also add that that kinda looks like an upholstery/furniture tack, too, which is what came up when looking for rounded tacks, so that may work if someone has a depleted odd-and-ends drawer  Grin

"You can‘t force people to be just and decent. Such qualities arise from within – they cannot be forced from without." - Qui-Gon Jinn

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 02:57:27 AM »

Great tutorial! Point given! I would also add that that kinda looks like an upholstery/furniture tack, too, which is what came up when looking for rounded tacks, so that may work if someone has a depleted odd-and-ends drawer  Grin

Hey thanks! And you are absolutely correct, they do appear to be furniture tacks. Thank you for putting a name to the item. I have only a few left so now I know what to look for.  Cheesy

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 10:52:50 AM »

Hi All,

frankmoses hit the nail on the head, those are definitely Upholstery/Furniture pins. I worked in a hardware store for a few years and had to shovel large quantities of these into display bins and they drew blood on many occasions!

And Saso Is-Kor thanks for a great tutorial I had never seen the image with the capsules open. I have a few felt tip marker pens that would make suitable capsules, I just need a couple of cans of metallic spray paint.

points incoming.

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 12:53:11 PM »

Hi All,

frankmoses hit the nail on the head, those are definitely Upholstery/Furniture pins. I worked in a hardware store for a few years and had to shovel large quantities of these into display bins and they drew blood on many occasions!

And Saso Is-Kor thanks for a great tutorial I had never seen the image with the capsules open. I have a few felt tip marker pens that would make suitable capsules, I just need a couple of cans of metallic spray paint.

points incoming.

Thanks! And would love to see your capsules, post them up here when you make them!  Cheesy

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 11:29:30 PM »

This is excellent!

Thank ypu for taking the time to show us.

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: