Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: The Atsubaki Saber Sheath (Or other Saber Inserts!)  (Read 1011 times)
EmmyV
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 33

I do dig giant robots

« on: February 16, 2018, 07:10:21 PM »

So, let me get this out of the way, this is a small portion of a very big prop-making/engineering project that will take me a LONG time (Especially because I gotta put it all on hold planning a wedding and all that). So I will not have WIP pics to you quickly! BUT I WANNA!!! Link for fullsize image. it's a big one. I draw on my big monitor so I use a 1:1 scale with it to try and get measurements right.
https://imgur.com/gallery/vMJcqjh

The overall project is to make a functional costume of a pair of Infinite Stratos suits, the Akatsubaki, and the Rafale Revive. These will be puppeted suits which use secured stilts to give the size and scale, but will incorporate a projection on PLA that looks a bit like glass to give a "live HUD" that lets the two suits play a sort of laser tag with each other to simulate battle.

But this is the part that involves Ultrasabers, the blades.

So, Akatsubaki has a left and right hand blade, these are huge 60+ inch "Katanas" (They aren't) that are flared out with grand anime fashion. They flash, they passionately burn with energy, and they do all that anime stuff we just love. Well Ultrasabers does pretty much that. The Diamond Sabers are perfect due to their guesture support and various functions. So instead of reeinventing the wheel I'd like to try and use the UltraSabers as an engine to the bigger weapon! Plus it lets me support them. So before I go at it, while I got all this time to think and plan, I kind of wanted to get ideas going.

So, I'll explain the weapon a bit, then I'll have my questions.

Plan is to have an ultrasaber fit inside the casing sheath and be secured inside. The blade will be made of two parts, a strong hilt to hold the sensitive parts of the weapon, and a replaceable blade that I intend to use as much 3D Printing as I can get away with since I imagine my other half and I will be beating the tar out of each other with these as soon as the suits are live. (WITH SO MUCH LOVE THOUGH) I'll let my CSD above explain lots of the little things, but the idea is to upscale and reshape an ultrasaber by putting a casing all around it. Think it'll work?

Questions for the saber experts here:
- Has anyone attempted a "Sheath" or Insert frame like this? If so, how'd it go? What would you have done differently?
- What would be a good Ultrasaber for this? I used the Initiate I own in my little prototype image above, but I'm not set in stone if there's something that would work better for whatever reason. I'll ultimately need 4 of the guys though since both suits use two blades. (And the Variable Mechanical Wings will cost over 1k EACH!!!! : d)
- For anyone that's done some actual saber whacking, where do your blades break if they're gonna break? (I havent seemed to be able to bust up my UltraEdge yet and I've beaten the tar out of it. It's kinda awesome!)

Project Questions that I wouldn't mind other brains thinking of as well:
///// KNOWN COMPLICATIONS////
-Unknown if UltraSaber will remain firm enough in sheath. The edge of the blade is expected to be held in place by the tapering of the weapon, but internal gooves to support the blade may be required.
-A Laser-Tag sensor will be installed at some point of the blade weapon. This is to tie back to the Hardware/Software switch within the pilot’s Head’s up Display (HUD). It is unknown how heavy these devices must ultimately be.
-Design must be combat capable against another high speed hydraulic/electronic War Frame (The RAFALE REVIVE), if possible, the blade frame would have to be constructed in a way to make it as replaceable as the UltraSaber’s edges, which have proven to be amazingly durable and still cheap enough to replace.
-Need a way to get this quickly into the hands of the Akatsubaki from the deployment rails on the wings. I will need to switch between the rifles and the blades. Thinking maybe magnets somewhere? Where do I put these???

So what do you think? It's ambitious I know but I'm not exactly completely rookie at these sort of things. The previous "Mechanical" suit I worked on was a group project for a Xenomorph, so I wanna try doing something with just my future wife and I.

Living Here In Jersey
Fighting villains from afar
You gotta find first gear in your giant robot car
You dig giant robots
I dig giant robots
We dig giant robots
Chicks dig giant robots
Nice.

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 08:25:34 PM »

I can not answer all your questions but your project is AWESOME.

Most of your questions depend on design and engineering ... it seems that you are not a rookie so with time it should be OK. If i understand your prototype, you want to use a 3D printer for the parts ... so you will be able to test solutions.

The main issue will be the blade. I do not know in the US but here, you can find polycarbonate sheet for roof in construction shops. But the assembly for shaping a blade will be maybe too breakable for dueling.

I can tell you that the polycarbonate itself does not break. It folds but it does not break ... and it does not fold easily.

Keep us aware of your works with pics Wink

Have a point

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

EmmyV
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 33

I do dig giant robots

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 08:30:35 PM »

I can not answer all your questions but your project is AWESOME.

Most of your questions depend on design and engineering ... it seems that you are not a rookie so with time it should be OK. If i understand your prototype, you want to use a 3D printer for the parts ... so you will be able to test solutions.

The main issue will be the blade. I do not know in the US but here, you can find polycarbonate sheet for roof in construction shops. But the assembly for shaping a blade will be maybe too breakable for dueling.

I can tell you that the polycarbonate itself does not break. It folds but it does not break ... and it does not fold easily.

Keep us aware of your works with pics Wink

Have a point

Thank you!! Smiley I think Polycarbonate is worth looking into. I was looking into making some molds with Smooth-On but I dunno if it's going to be tough enough to do polycarbonate molding. Hmm... already thinking about things.

I didnt realize the post was public so I re loaded it on my private thing. People just started downvoting it en masse for some reason. I have no idea.

https://imgur.com/J6cy6vO

Living Here In Jersey
Fighting villains from afar
You gotta find first gear in your giant robot car
You dig giant robots
I dig giant robots
We dig giant robots
Chicks dig giant robots
Nice.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 02:00:55 PM »

Wow Emmy that is incredible!  I wish I had your creativity!  Best of luck for your project  Smiley

Point!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: