Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18   Go Down
Author Topic: Schisms: The Vhal'Dan Civil War  (Read 77441 times)
Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #165 on: February 15, 2019, 01:14:09 PM »

And the story continues!   Oh the tangled webs we weave...    :-)   Kazic has figured it out at last.  Far to late, but now we understand his guilt and remorse at the beginning.  Not at his stance, not at taking a stand, but at unleashing Valens and his People on the Vhal'Dan loyal to Anson. 

Which just makes a body wonder...   What exactly is going to happen next?

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #166 on: February 15, 2019, 09:19:16 PM »

Looks like Anson made some real opportunities flow walking! Big ones! Love the parallel here just as Kazic realises his allies are uncontrollable animals J'nessah is plotting to manipulate them by working out their motives.....I suspect Kazic would almost be noble enough...or horrified enough to warn her against it.....But I see a flaw in Anson's plan if Kazic Saani and Corvus are no longer in charge....Valens has free reign.... unintended consequences is a deep theme across this whole series...

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #167 on: February 15, 2019, 02:20:22 PM »

But I see a flaw in Anson's plan if Kazic Saani and Corvus are no longer in charge....Valens has free reign.... unintended consequences is a deep theme across this whole series...

That is a very good point...   *pops some popcorn*

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #168 on: March 02, 2019, 07:31:37 PM »

Wow. I didn't realize it had been 15 days since you posted this. Shows how busy my life has been I guess. Anyways, great chapter. Seems like we have just entered the third act. Where exactly it goes from here, I have no idea. All I know is that it wont disappoint.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #169 on: March 04, 2019, 10:02:08 PM »

Chapter 24: Hubris, part I

Even had the mine tunnel not been dark, deserted, and all but forgotten, the lone figure waiting within was effectively undetectable.  Surrounded—not uncomfortably—by black, crystalline technoarmor, the occupant waited, the silence of the mine tunnel unbroken.  But within the confines of the helmet…it was another story.

“Here we are, born to be gods/We're the princes of the universe”

Singing in time with the lyrics, he felt the Aethan adrenal response metabolize throughout his system, making everything more acute.

“Here we belong, fighting to survive/In a world with the darkest powers”

Even within the mines, he could feel the change in the rock strata, the reverberations indicative of ships, their landing gears making heavy contact with the landing pad.  Valens had been right: Anson’s forces would pull back to Lus’phor.  

But then, he knew that Valens would be right; he always was.  After all, it was Valens who’d driven them with purpose, orchestrating every tactical decision, influencing both Kazic’s as well as Anson’s collective war strategies.  Which was as it should be; no one could compare to People.  No one.

And he would show them, both his People as well as to these…Jedi.  He smiled; he already entertained notions of battling these Vhal’Dan, swatting them like the insignificant flies that they were.  Who knows?  Perhaps he could isolate Anson himself…not that it would be much of a contest.  After all, no Force-users were equal to the People.

And surely all reports of this Anson’s strength were exaggerated.  Besides…that man deserved to be humiliated, beat and beaten by him, especially for the audacity of his actions.  To think: that he had…dared molest a female of the People?!  Every time that that image—that thought—had been broadcast amongst the People… He shook his head, disgust, rage, and contempt mingling with utter hatred.  Yes, he would make Anson pay for what he’d done to Aresaea…

“Here we belong, fighting for survival/We've come to be the rulers of you all”

He smiled, listening to the song that Lyaea had looped in his armor’s audio database.  And he could not deny the aptness of the lyrics.  His chest filled with pride and eagerness, head once again filled with thoughts of brutal retribution and with him standing triumphant above the defeated, prostrate body of Anson, a scene inaugurating the surrender and submission of all of the Kage’s forces.

To him.  Because of him.  And although his face could not be seen through the polarized filter of his helmet, his teeth shined almost preternaturally as his mouth widened into an enormous smile, his voice shouting the lyrics of what he knew to be prophetic.

“And here we are, we're the princes of the universe!”

<<<<< >>>>>

The daen nosi were never wrong.  Never.  And as Kazic observed with marked exactitude how they undulated around and through the Shadow’s form, converging on…something behind.

Just before the Shadow was going to stab Kazic, a teal blade erupted from his chest.  Even though the Shadow’s face was completely obscured by the helmet he wore, Kazic could imagine the look of surprise upon his face.  Reflexively grabbing at the blade, the Shadow only accomplished in burning his own hands on the plasma, half-vaporized fingers dropping morbidly to the ground.  Agonizingly, the Shadow slumped forward falling hard onto Kazic, lifeless.  Even as the Anzat attempted to extricate himself from beneath the body, his red eyes scrutinized the huge, darkened figure looming above him.  In the blackened hallway, Kazic’s infravision took over, giving him a better idea of who, or rather “what” the being was.

Judging by how large the body was and how efficient the circulatory system, Kazic deduced that it must be a Wookie… And with a sudden conclusiveness, the daen nosi snapped around it, seemingly settling without any notice.

…Ryshhk K’rrmerii…

As if naming him caused the darkness to recede, the Wookie Speaker’s face became visible to Kazic’s normal vision.  As with every other time he’d been around Ryshhk, Kazic was unable to read anything in his face.  Still, if present actions were any indicator…

“…Thank you.”  He said quietly, as Kazic received his second shock when the Wookie held out his hand to help the Anzat up.  He looked around the shadowed hall, now able to discern the violence that had preceded him.  Evidently, the Shadow had had plenty of time to set up his ambush.

Almost as if he’d known precisely what to expect…

…Anson…And if he knew when and where to find me…Saani…!

He knew that Anson was an accomplished Flow-Walker…but even doing so, finding someone at a precise time and place was…problematic at best.  “The future is always in motion; it would be like…trying to shoot a womprat…on a speederbike…from orbit…while drunk…” Kazic’s Master, Stryka Annix once told him.  “…Although if substantial Force-energies are involved, it can give the Flow-Walker a…lens, if you will.  Such an occurrence can help to bring focus, albeit only for a brief moment and at the cost of enormous power…”

Well.  Anson was certainly powerful…but was he powerful enough?  From what Master Stryka had intimated, it would require incredible strength in the Force.

Kazic paused, mentally stopping short.  What if…what if Valens could Flow-Walk as well?  It certainly would explain the “how” where the necessary power requirement was concerned…and combined with Anson’s?  

Still: all of this was conjecture; Kazic mentally shook his head, bringing him to the here-and-now.  …Corvus…!

Hurrying over to Corvus’ motionless body, Kazic checked for signs of life.  Feeling the light thread of a pulse, Corvus’ breathing was ragged and shallow.  Kazic breathed a silent prayer of thanks that he was still alive, administering what he could with his decidedly lacking talent of Force Healing.  Still, it was better than noth—

With a suddenness that surprised him, Kazic felt Rysshk kneel beside, placing his enormous paws upon the Devaronian Speaker.  With obvious care and skill, the Wookie Master wove deep currents of Healing, staunching the flow of blood, mending tissues, giving vital breath to Corvus…

It was an incredible display.  With the exception of the Mak’Tor Singers, Kazic had never seen such proficiency in Healing.  In a moment, Corvus’ pallid skin tone had darkened to its natural deep reddish-brown, his breathing regaining normalcy.  It was all that the Anzat could do not to stare.

Kazic looked up into the taller Wookie’s golden eyes.  “Not that I’m ungrateful but, just what are you doing here, Rysshk?”

Kazic was stunned for yet a third time: Rysshk lowered his head, his tone changing to one that Kazic had never heard from a Wookie.  He could only describe it as…contrite?

[I…I seek to serve you, Kage.  I do not ask for asylum nor exculpation and will accept as my punishment whatever you deem appropriate.  But I know that you are the one, true Kage of the Vhal’Dan.]  He went down to one knee, holding his still ignited saberstaff towards Kazic in his massive hand.  

It was an ancient form predating the Order, back when the Vhal’Dan consisted of the Seven Clans.  In doing so, Rysshk had given Kazic carte blanche in deciding the Wookie’s fate, thus the submission and offering of his weapon.  Should he chose, the Anzat Kage could use it against Rysshk.  Kazic had to smile; this was one ceremony that probably hadn’t been required since the days of Black Rikard... Still, he understood Wookie honor enough not to downplay the gravity of the situation…or the reverence behind Rysshk’s gesture.  

And the daen nosi were never wrong.

“I accept and bond you into my service and absolve you of all past trespasses.”  He spoke the ritual phrase, his deep voice intoning solemnity and authority.  And subsequently relaxed, the formality of his previous tone a thing of the past.  “Rysshk, your timing couldn’t be better but I’m desperately needed elsewhere…”  Punctuating his words, Kazic moved to pick Corvus up from the floor.  Again, Rysshk kneeled beside him, gently and effortlessly lifting the Devaronian in his thick, furry arms.

[I will take care of Corvus, my Kage.  As soon as I’ve secured his convalescence, I will join you.]  Kazic was about to refuse but thought better of such.  Rysshk was a valuable ally and one of the most powerful Jedi in the Vhal’Dan, as strong as Kazic and possibly almost Anson.  And if Saani was in trouble…

“We’ll go together, Rysshk.  I have a feeling that I’m going to need you by my side…” As Kazic fell in beside the Wookie, he thought again of the daen nosi.  He’d learned to listen to them, trust them, heed them… He had no doubt of Rysshk’s loyalty and character.  Still…Kazic had to wonder why the daen nosi hadn’t warned him about Valens and his plans.  But even as the thought percolated in his mind, Kazic was forced in reminding himself that it was his decisions that had directly lead to…well, exactly where he found himself now.  Not Valens.  Not even Anson, at least not entirely.  

He was at least just as responsible…moreso in his own estimations.  Oh, Valens was an effect to be sure but the cause…?  That could be laid squarely upon his shoulders.  He just hoped that he could affect the change requir—

Immediately, a piercing sound/light/sensation erupted in Kazic’s mind, causing him to drop to a knee, one hand going to his head the other grasping the heavy black orb that hung around his neck, the gift that Ari had given him.  While it was unlike anything he’d ever experienced, he knew immediately what it signified.

[Kage?!  Are you injured?] Rysshk somehow held Corvus in one arm while grasping Kazic’s shoulder, offering him support as he rose standing on shaky legs.

“No…” Kazic’s unsteady voice was tinged with anger…and fear.  “…but Saani, she’s…”  Kazic decided that it wasn’t important to explain the alert that he’d felt through the blackstone orb, a signal that Valens and Ari’s People certainly must’ve felt.  And with it, Saani’s exact location.  “She’s on Lus’phor.”  He had to find transportation, anythi—

[Wait, Kage.]  Rysshk stopped Kazic short.  [We’ll take my ship.  It has a medcouch for Corvus.]

Without further preamble, Kazic and Rysshk sped towards the Wookie’s ship, time both rushing headlong towards the future while seeming to crawl by as Kazic dared hope for Saani…and if he could arrive in time to help.

<<<<< >>>>>

There were two of them, “maenowans” he believed Valens called them.  So: just one step from being full…Jedi Masters.  Even now, he fumbled a bit with the New Ways.  All People were Guardians, the aether allowing them to surpass even the most accomplished…Force-users.

Even as they reacted to his presence, their lightsabers ignited as one, he felt the aether surrounding them as they projected concentrated Pushes at him, or used it to augment their speed to match him, or to give them the Clairvoyance necessary to aid in their Point Defense, intercepting his phrik missiles with their blades.  All very “neat” and “orderly” he thought.

“I am immortal, I have inside me blood of gods”

With the music pounding in his helmet, he would show these Force-users what power in the aether really was.

Sensing a third Vhal’Dan approaching attempting to flank him, he dedicated a full two consciousnesses towards the attacker.  A newly-raised koawan, she was eager…but not inexperienced.  She did not rush nor telegraph her intent, he thought, and against any other opponent she would have been successful.  But not against one of the People.

“I have no rival, no man can be my equal”

However, before she could commit, screams erupted from her throat, straining and pained.  The two maenowans that were fighting him looked askance, their collective faces filled with horror as the koawan burst into flames, a living pyre.

Distracted, his opponents had left themselves vitally unguarded.  As he parried with his blackstone tremor sword, he again focused.  This time, the air around them began to grow heavy, thick, and stifling, perspiration immediately breaking out along the two maenowans’ skin.  Shunting a partial third consciousness towards his ends, the tunnels around him exploded in blue aetheric fire, immolating his opponents.  So intense were the flames that their tissues flash-burned in less than a minute, skeletons dropping at his feet along with their deactivated lightsabers.

“Take me to the future of you all”

He was singing along with the lyrics, emboldened by his quick victory.

But then, he knew he’d win.

He smiled again, seeing more Jedi enter the room from the landing port.  Good, he was just getting warmed up…

<<<<< >>>>>

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #170 on: March 04, 2019, 10:12:11 PM »

Chapter 24: Hubris, part II

A wet, sickening blow landed squarely across Saani’s face, and not for the first time.  J’Nessah had instructed her interrogators to be “inventive.”  

Thus far, they’d been anything but.

And while Saani’s body was beaten, she was not beat.  She knew that with patience and the Force, she’d outlast these frellicks…

Again, the balled fist of the other brute, clubbed down across her chin.  Spitting blood, she continued to look nonchalantly at them.

“The Speaker wants answers.  This will only get worse for you.”  A bored, sophisticated voice intoned behind her.  “Tell us of the false Kage’s new war strategies.  Who are the black armored beings?  How many of them are there?”  Saani muted his voice as he continued droning on, her focus almost entirely on pushing against the Force Suppressors.  

The Vhal’Dan Force Suppressor Units were large and unwieldy, needing substantial time and effort to correctly set up to be truly effective.  Like within the Detention Cells in the Prison Sector of the Underworks.  

These, however, had been set up hastily.

And, given enough time and effort, a powerful Gray Master like Saani could circumvent the Suppressor’s null-field.

Another blow, this time to her solar plexus, more monotonous questioning.  But she was almost through the barrier…

<<<<< >>>>>

A dozen bodies lay about the room and the adjacent tunnel, some still aflame.  His current opponent was what they called a “Silver Knight.”  And she was good, very good.

Too bad he was superior.

“Got your world in my hand”

Still singing, he parried the plasma blade again, projecting a torrent of flame towards the knight.  But before it hit, the flames unraveled.  She was good, he was forced to admit.  He felt the sense of vertigo associated with weightlessness before his booted feet left the floor.  It was a good effort, he acknowledged.  But not enough.

“We were born to be princes of the universe”

Drawing upon the aether, he reversed her efforts with the Force, his armor slamming down upon the metal-plated flooring, denting it in the process.  Simultaneously, he sent an enormous tremor through the ground originating where he’d landed and converging upon where the silver knight stood.

As the ground below her feet erupted upwards, she was thrown forcefully towards the ceiling at a velocity she neither expected nor could react in time to.  Her mangled body fell unceremoniously among her dead comrades as he stood triumphantly, but not before he gestured with a flourish with his tremor sword, bisecting the body before it touched the ground.

Would he find an opponent—any opponent—worthy of him?!

Turning, he was about to exit the room leading to the landing pad when the blast doors opened.

There, standing amongst a dozen of his followers, was the man that he’d wondered, hoped, dreamed of seeing.

Anson D’Aklon.

As he witnessed Anson shrug out of his robes and ignite a green lightsaber, he increased the volume of the song within his helmet.  This would be glorious!

“Here we are, born to be gods/We're the princes of the universe”

He would praise the Goddesses tonight.  Who knew that he would be the one to kill the offender of the People?

<<<<< >>>>>

“My Kage!  This is the one the reports have warned us about…” Messer Subiah Fuqua said from behind Anson, his tone reflective of his apprehension.  “…he fights like a psychotic ganger…”  The others of the Collegium nodded and voiced their agreement, all wary.  The panicked death screams of their comrades had been the last sounds broadcast along audio channels.  But before those had come disbelief, confusion, and terror.  This…thing fought not so much like a knight but rather a raging nexu, no rhyme or reason to his attacks, no control…yet it was somehow all the more dangerous for it.

Staring at the black armored daemon in the room in front of them, the Kage’s entire entourage moved to ignite their lightsabers.  Even as they did so, more than one pair of eyes glanced at the immolated and butchered bodies grisly spread across the floor of the room, each member of the Collegium recognizing at least one friend.  Controlled fear—but fear nevertheless—threatened to overwhelm them; they knew that their chances of survival were small at best.

“STOP!”  Anson’s voice rang out, commanding.  Doffing his own robes, his lightsaber flew to his hand, the green blade casting hopeful shadows within the room.  “Your Kage will deal with this matter.”

As the armored being…moved, Anson drew deeply upon the Force, now more than ever in his life; memories, experiences, and fears of the last week foremost in the Kage’s mind as he prepared to fight the daemon that Kazic had called from the Hellspont…

<<<<< >>>>>

…There…!  Saani was finally able to gain purchase on the Force, ripping through the null-field and wrapping herself fully within the Force.  As the brute’s fist was about to land again, Saani acted.

Manipulating the Force, she caused the gravity within the room to increase exponentially while simultaneously calling her lightsabers to her.  Her three questioners had no time to react, the two brutes who had previously looked on in arrogant contempt now had similar looks of horror upon their faces, the man with the nasally sophisticated voice squeaked a cry of surprise and trepidation.

One and all, they died…poorly.

Saani took a moment to collect herself, directing Healing flows into her own body.  By the Maker she hurt…but she’d been through worse.  As the seconds turned to minutes, Saani felt recovered enough that she could continue.

That’s when she heard a violent commotion coming from outside the room.  …Kazic…! Saani smiled.  Of course her K’ompo would come to find her.  Not for the first time, she was grateful for the orb she’d been given.  …I’m going to get that back from that bitch J’Nessah… She thought, her lips thinning in momentary anger.  But, first things first…

Forcing the doors open, she watched as the two Sentinels who had been standing outside of her door were…dispatched of.  It never ceased to amaze her how much of a bloody mess a single body could make, much less two.  But even before she could focus upon the scene before her, a heavy body collided with her, driving the breath--and sense--from her.

<<<<< >>>>>

Gritting his teeth, he no longer sang the lyrics as they played within his helmet; he was too busy focusing on the task at hand.

“I am immortal, I have inside me blood of gods”

He had to dedicate his full five consciousnesses just to keep up.  His pyrokinetics were thwarted at every attempt, his metaphysical attacks blunted each time against an impenetrable wall, his tremor sword turned away with what seemed to be frightening ease.  And still Anson pressed his advantage.  He knew that his biology was superior…yet this…this mere human more than kept pace with him…Anson was winning.

The green-white plasma blade seemed to teleport around the room, so swift were Anson’s strikes.  Incredibly—and worse—his strength in the aether was equal to his own!  He’d been told that some very rare individuals came close to the strength of the People…but he’d never believed it, much less seen it.  A Force-powered kick to the knee-join of his armor refocused his attention.  He also felt a half-dozen Force-Pushes in fast succession in addition to several missiles streak towards him.  He defeated them all, either crushing them with the aether or slicing them out of the air with his tremor sword.  All too easy…

“I have no rival, no man can be my equal”

Only…his armor…he felt…sluggish…

…NO…!  His temper flared, burning away the Force Suppression that Anson had been subtly employing.  No, this…human was NOT his equal.  Within his head echoed the lyrics.  HE would show him the power of the aether!

But the damage had been done.  Each seemingly inconsequential missile that he’d slashed only served to create two, and two, four…and so on.  Anson had used those smaller projectiles to burrow into the joins of the armor, the only parts not made of the blackstone.  And although tough, physics still held sway as Anson’s Force-enhanced bolts worked their way into the armor at the joins, whilst Anson simultaneously projected a false image onto the *HUD within the armored helmet.  So it was that he was unaware of Anson’s true offensive.

Had he not been so distracted by anger, so overconfident, he would have seen at least part of Anson’s plans.  But such was his hubris that he had not considered the distinct possibility that Anson was not only of like strength but was also much more experienced.

Suddenly sharp, piercing pain erupted in his knees, elbows, and shoulders.  Had he been human, he would have dropped the tremor sword from deadened fingers.  As it was, his superior biology allowed him to continue to move, to fight even as the small, invasive barbs kept cutting through the tissues.  But the intended effect was obvious: he’d been hamstrung.

It was then that he could see through the Alter Image that Anson had fabricated, the HUD strobing red indicating the structural intrusions as well as the physical incisions.  

“Take me to the future of yo—”

Anson’s lightsaber struck his helmet several times, a progression of significant hits that cracked the polarized faceplate but also disrupted the audio system.  It was then that one of the barbs finally found its way in his inner thigh, severing the sciatic nerve.  And as it was that leg that he held his weight upon, he summarily collapsed falling awkwardly as Anson simultaneously projected a potent Force Push that turned his stumble into a clumsy fall.  And in his panic, he lost grip upon his tremor sword.

Anson’s reaction was swift beyond description.  Seizing the heavy blackstone blade in his hand powered with Force-augmented strength, he brought the blade down in a violent slash, finally breaking the helmet’s faceplate.  On the riposte, Anson drove the blade directly in the wrist join of his armor, pinning his arm to the ground.  

His conscious mind numb, his instincts took ahold, projecting his People’s distress response through the aether.  <helpmehelpmehelpme>  It was not a plea but rather an alarm, not unlike the response that Saani’s black orb had generated when J’Nessah Raahn had touched it.

Breathing heavily, Anson held his ignited lightsaber mere centimeters from the exposed face of the young man who stared back at him, his armor now constraining him.  He looked deep into the brown eyes of the man—the human—who had vanquished him, one thought above all echoing through his mind.

…How…?

And even as he schooled his breathing, Anson’s face remained impassive, looking upon not the daemon that everyone had said that Kazic had unleashed but rather the face of a young man.

A confounded, beaten young man.

*HUD: Heads Up Display

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #171 on: March 04, 2019, 11:31:00 PM »

Whoa...   Anson took down one of the Aethans?Huh   This guy is crazy-powerful!   Even if it was an over-confident teen.

Still.   He sent a distress call.   I think Anson's in for a world of hurt...

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #172 on: March 04, 2019, 09:47:04 PM »

Anson - showing the Collegium how its done - putting a stop to the juggernaut - albeit only after he'd caused utter carnage - the next moments will be very telling I think as to whether the Collegium believes Anson can turn the tide - as it is Corvus injured, Saani captured (if only temporarily) and an Aethan beaten is a pretty good start. 

Once more i feel that Ryshhk is too decent to be on either side...too noble for such a war, which is both praiseworthy and a failing in a sense, still certainly a strong secondary character you've created there.

And Kazic...as noble as his new aspirations might be...i think that ship is already in hyperspace and its out of his hands....and I suspect Kazic isn't the only one worried about Saani.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #173 on: March 05, 2019, 03:27:13 PM »

Anson - showing the Collegium how its done - putting a stop to the juggernaut - albeit only after he'd caused utter carnage - the next moments will be very telling I think as to whether the Collegium believes Anson can turn the tide - as it is Corvus injured, Saani captured (if only temporarily) and an Aethan beaten is a pretty good start. 

Once more i feel that Ryshhk is too decent to be on either side...too noble for such a war, which is both praiseworthy and a failing in a sense, still certainly a strong secondary character you've created there.

And Kazic...as noble as his new aspirations might be...i think that ship is already in hyperspace and its out of his hands....and I suspect Kazic isn't the only one worried about Saani.

I totally agree with you on Ryshhk.  He's pure Wookie, a race that I have always felt was extremely honor-bound and driven by a very deep and personal code of ethics and morality that they find generally immutable and unbreakable.  Chewbackka set that mold with his utter loyalty to Han.  Ryshhk certainly lives up to it as well.   I feel like the Wookie master (his name escapes me) in Fate of the Aether is also similar, a character to noble for the situation he is in.

I am glad to see he's chosen Kazic, though.  Of course, we sympathize with his side because we're MEANT to as readers and the author pushed us that way, but I think I would have been on his side from the beginning.  Probably dead by now, though, as I'm to rash and overconfident for my own good...   :-)

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #174 on: March 05, 2019, 12:08:40 PM »

I totally agree with you on Ryshhk.  He's pure Wookie, a race that I have always felt was extremely honor-bound and driven by a very deep and personal code of ethics and morality that they find generally immutable and unbreakable.  Chewbackka set that mold with his utter loyalty to Han.  Ryshhk certainly lives up to it as well.   I feel like the Wookie master (his name escapes me) in Fate of the Aether is also similar, a character to noble for the situation he is in.

I am glad to see he's chosen Kazic, though.  Of course, we sympathize with his side because we're MEANT to as readers and the author pushed us that way, but I think I would have been on his side from the beginning.  Probably dead by now, though, as I'm to rash and overconfident for my own good...   :-)
Yshhrk is the name of the Wookie Sentinel from FotA  Smiley

And they certainly do feel similar, Yshhrk and Ryshhk, don't they?  Hmmm...

OK, I admit it: that's deliberate.  It's because they [REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED].  Now that you know that, doesn't it just make more sense?!  Wink

And thanks LSG!  Smiley

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #175 on: March 05, 2019, 07:21:12 PM »

OK, I admit it: that's deliberate.  It's because they [REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED].  Now that you know that, doesn't it just make more sense?!  Wink
And thanks LSG!  Smiley

You, sir, are evil.....     ;-)

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #176 on: March 06, 2019, 05:29:19 AM »

Wow, that was incredible. Anson has never scared me before. That has now changed. He is too powerful for his own good. No wonder many accepted him as Kage.

And thanks LSG!  Smiley

Haha, that is perfect. Hopefully I will be able to catch up on FotA pretty soon here. I got behind over Christmas break, and haven't stayed caught up due to school. Still, looking forward to finally getting to read it.
Yshhrk and Ryshhk? Looks like an anagram to me.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #177 on: March 06, 2019, 02:58:08 PM »

Wow, that was incredible. Anson has never scared me before. That has now changed. He is too powerful for his own good. No wonder many accepted him as Kage.

Haha, that is perfect. Hopefully I will be able to catch up on FotA pretty soon here. I got behind over Christmas break, and haven't stayed caught up due to school. Still, looking forward to finally getting to read it.
Yshhrk and Ryshhk? Looks like an anagram to me.

I'm thinking its a familial or clan connection...   ;-)   Though, knowing these guys, it could just be a huge, stinky red herring!  LOL

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #178 on: March 08, 2019, 07:56:15 PM »

Special thanks again to LSG who did major contributions to this chapter  Smiley

Chapter 25: “The Best Laid Plans…” part I

…Ah a male… J’Nessah was already a step ahead as she hopped off the skiff to the meeting place, blackstone orb still in her hand.

A moment after she’d touched the necklace, she’d felt a presence emanating from the orb.  And while the communication had been terse, the message was clear: they’d wanted to parley.  Without overture, they had said one thing: “Infer’num Patera.” 

Infer’num Patera.  It was an isolated crater about 12 kilometers from the entrance of the Pretiosum Kyber Mines.  The surrounding land was heavily cratered, wind-blasted, gray, and barren.  In other words: typical of Lus’phor.  Familiar with the area, she had prepared appropriately for the meeting.

She was flanked by two bodyguards.  In Vhal’Dan Sentinel Armor they seemed a suitable escort for any Speaker and went largely unnoticed.  In reality they were what the Masters of Rorak 4 called “Untarnished:” slave children selectively bred and trained from birth and subject to various courses of gene therapy and hormonal resequencing to create utterly obedient and incorruptible mindless guards, attuned to whomever they were mentally sequenced to obey.  Technically they were slaves, but J’Nessah thought of them more as biological droids.

She did not expect any trouble, but their gleaming outfits would show her position as a commander of authority with the time to have her thralls remove the blood and mud of war.  In addition her transport had two folded HK-62’s secreted into the side engine nacelles for emergencies.

Males were far easier to control than women, just dangle the chance to be the Alpha and they would always bite; play a little damsel in distress, offer a crown and marital glory and they were yours.

When she disembarked from her skiff, she had been surprised to see a lone figure at the base of the crater.  Even a cursory sweep with her Force senses had confirmed that he was alone.  But if he had been worried, he certainly didn’t show it.

He stood tall in his black, crystalline technoarmor with only his head exposed.  A handsome face, if hard, she decided.  J’Nessah could see no weapons of any kind upon his person.  But that meant nothing; she had seen what he and his kind could accomplish.

But for now: to work.

“I am J’Nessah Raahn, First Speaker and Admiral Pro Tem of the Galtean Navy, Vice-Director of the Collegium, Master Gray of the Vhal’Dan Jedi Order.” Her melodious voice carried across the patera, both a trick of the crater’s acoustics as well as a result of her manipulation via the Force.

“I am Valens.”  Just as his brusque pronouncement stood in direct contrast with J’Nessah’s ostentatiousness, so too did his quiet voice.

Nonplussed, J’Nessah continued.  “I wish to congratulate you, Valens; you and your forces have momentarily disrupted my Kage’s plans.  But now that he has regrouped, he will crush you.”

Valens’ face betrayed nothing.  “Anson is finished.”

The finality of his tone struck a chord in the dark Speaker.  Mentally, she shifted gears.  …This could better work to my advantage… She adopted an easy smile, relaxing her posture.

“A man such as you shouldn’t be serving a fool like Kazic… And I believe you: both Anson and Kazic are poison now, divisive figures neither of which can lead the Vhal’Dan forward…but an Outsider, an independent party with such proven prowess could easily assume the mantle of Kage.  And—combined with my influence—we could inaugurate a new era for not only the Vhal’Dan but the Jedi Order as well!  With me at your side, the treasures of Galtea and Lus’phor would be made available to you.  Think of it: you would be unstoppable, surrounded by the armies of the Vhal’Dan, anything in the galaxy within your reach!”  She assumed a slightly coquettish manner, deferential and unthreatening.  Men the universe throughout always responded to such.

Again, Valens did not so much as blink, his face completely impassive.  “Is that what you said to Vvuyulkvahhr on Ska Gora…the same trickle of tempting words…”

Years of practice and training to show the correct emotion on her face, the perfectly suited inflection in her voice, restraining her real feelings to meet the situation with poise and control…all this nearly broke down as he uttered those words with cool precision.

“‘King Maker’ they called you didn’t they, for putting him on the throne and stirring his emotions to your will…why do you even play this game of thrones?” He took one step forward that was as silent as it was potent.  “What do you gain?  You’ve no children to protect, nor People to defend, is it simply the thrill of proving that you are the smartest person on the planet, the satisfaction of seeing everyone else dance like puppets to your silent music?”

While her face betrayed nothing, she could feel an upwelling of apprehension deep within her.  As he took a second step forward she glanced to her—

Her body guards were gone.

“You think you have anything I want?”  Faster than she could see his hand was on her throat lifting her up, her feet kicking impotently in the air.  “Did you truly believe there is anything on this planet I could not simply take if I desire it?”

Flicking her wrist back she hit the discrete pressure point on her bracelet, a hiss of gas spitting up green and noxious toward his face.

But his face wasn’t there anymore…the face she had seen vanished behind a helmet that somehow had always been there…she just couldn’t see it…a Force Illusion…

“You are a trivial little backstabber courting powers you cannot comprehend for your own pointless satisfaction….”  She was not done yet, tensing her thighs she activated a secreted stun net that flickered on with a brief blue flash before the energy was soaked up midway past his arms and dissipated into the void of his armor.  “You Outsiders think in such petty selfish terms, you are so incompetent that you don’t actually realize how incompetent you truly are…the Du’nning-Kruger Effect you call it…”

A weight of obsidian fell upon her mind crushing down on her very sentience as she thrashed against his grip calling on the Force to pry off his hand.  Like a parent batting away a poking child he slapped her efforts aside.

“we…ll…destroy you…” She choked out, her voice sounding as small and feeble as she felt.

“Better than you have tried…you don’t even rate in the same league as the true masters of manipulation we have destroyed.”  It wasn’t even his words that were most galling or even his utterly dismissive tone; it was the fact that she was entirely helpless…an insect against a gorog.

She had but one trick left up her sleeve…or rather in her mouth: the loss of a tooth when she was young in a sparring session had provide the perfect opportunity for replacement with micro transmitter that send a short burst signal.  She had coded half a dozen items to respond to that signal…one of which was the sabre on her belt.

Flicking her tongue to push the false tooth over she bit down ostensibly in pain at his grip to activate it.

Brilliant silver erupted at her hip and lit the armored figure from below in its glow, it bore straight into his chest piece reddening the advanced armor with a barrage of pure energy.

The sides of her speeder flipped open and two HK-62’s leapt out unleashing their laser lances instantly in defense of their mistress.

Valens sighed as he returned his fourth level of consciousness to the present and deftly gripped her mouth Open with the aether…his armor would’ve survived the sabre, the droids he could dismantle with a thought, but the signal to her husband would’ve been annoying… He needed her compatriots to consider her “intact.”  In a way he respected J’Nessah: she was clever, ambitious, cunning…

Her eyes finally betrayed fear and panic as her final contingency was denied her.  It didn’t last long.

J’Nessah was a strong willed woman, sure of herself as any could be.  But the disorientation of her opponent’s sudden assault, her helplessness and inability to use her political skill to escape had all diminished her confidence.  Unrelenting obsidian cliffs of telepathic power did the rest.

<You will surrender those divisions and resources to us, you will use your most powerful arguments and diplomatic skills to convince every officer and maenowan you can to defect en masse in exactly 72 hours… You will use your logistical skills to ensure this remains hidden from Anson and his loyalists… You will transmit all key strategic data you can to frequency 332-Besh-7 in exactly 36 hours, then you will obtain whatever discrete explosives your pretty form can carry, secrete them on your person and detonate them as close to your Kage Anson D’Aklon as physically possible.>

As J’Nessah dropped insensate, the girl returned with her bodyguards, one dragged by the heel and tossed to the side, the other slightly wobbly on his feet.

“That one broke, but this one should work.” Lyaea noted prodding it along.

“Poor creatures…” Adaea sympathized with the Untarnished that had survived a rapid reprogramming.  “…Outsiders are so cruel…” she continued; there was no double standard from their point of view in mind controlling J’Nessah and the Untarnished themselves.  It was perfectly acceptable for People to control Outsiders, but it was mean and wrong for People to control People or for Outsiders to control Outsiders, and utterly blasphemous for Outsiders to control People!

“Send them on their way…then commence extraction, we won’t remain here much longer.”

No sooner had the words left his mouth then they felt the alarm beckoning them through the aether. 

<helpmehelpmehelpme

Adaea looked to Valens, concerned.  “Valens, it’s—”

“Yes.”  Even as he spoke, he mentally called their ship which had, up to this point, been hovering close by but obfuscated from scans. 

“But what about Saani?” Adaea’s voice hinted concern but was otherwise preoccupied.

“I’ve already sent help.” He reassured her, likewise.  Yet his face was a silent mask of resolve.

Dedicating one full consciousness so as to reach all of the People simultaneously, Valens and Adaea boarded the sleek, black arrowhead-shaped ship.

As it sped away towards the Lus’phor Spaceport landing area, leaving no signs of being there, J’Nessah finally blinked.

<<<<< >>>>>

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #179 on: March 08, 2019, 08:02:09 PM »

Chapter 25: "The Best Laid Plans..." part II

…That went well… She had to admit to herself and she headed back towards her skiff.  As she’d maintained: men the galaxy throughout were easily manipulated.  Now that she’d set the rest of her plans into motion, she had to get back to the Collegium.  Certainly there would be some holdouts among them but she knew that the majority of them would defect to…Kazic’s…side…?

She stopped short suddenly before boarding.  Something was…amiss…elusive.  She went through a Force exercise, one that aided in mental acumen…one that she always used when pursuing negotiations.

Several mental images came to the forefront of her mind helping to clarify her confusion, illuminating her concern.

J’Nessah smiled.  …Clever man… She had to admit.  So: this Valens had tried to project some Force Suggestions in her mind.  But she lived by the maxim of “Be overly-prepared.”  She had set defenses in place just for such.  Her smile widened.  

Now that she had secured Valens and his People, she would create further chaos by inciting the mutiny within Anson’s retinue.

Even as she piloted the skiff away, she took no notice of the disparities: her bodyguard now consisted of one less Untarnished, all doubts concerning her questionable reversal of loyalties were crushed and forgotten, and even as she locked her destination into the autopilot, her hands surreptitiously gathered various parts and devices and began to assemble them.

All the while convinced that she’d been successful with her machinations involving Valens…

And, smiling broadly and victoriously, she slapped the final component in place on the device that she didn’t even know that she had built.

An improvised thermal detonator.

<<<<< >>>>>

Saani struggled to gain a breath, the crushing weight around her tightening.  She wrapped her arms around the body that had collided with her.  

And hugged as tightly as she could.

“Mother!” Aresaea’s voice was filled with relief, joy, and concern .  Saani’s smile was one of comfort and unbridled exultation, the tears on her face having nothing to do with her injuries.

“My Dear One…” Her quiet voice was muffled by Aresaea’s red hair but she heard nonetheless.  Both women held onto one another taking comfort in each other’s presence.

It was a jarring tableau: among the violence and gore that painted the room with blood, the reunion between mother and daughter was one of tenderness and love.

And altogether to brief.

“Ari…words cannot express how happy I am that you’re here but we need to talk with your father.” Even as she spoke, she moved with purpose, collecting everything that her interrogators had divested her of.  It wasn’t much: she grabbed the small communicator that was keyed to Kazic’s; she already had her lightsabers and J’Nessah had taken the blackstone orb.  As she turned, she ran right into Ari.

“Saani…your face…” She raised her hands, cupping her mother’s bloody blue cheeks, flows of Healing wrapping around and through her.

Gently but firmly, Saani disengaged Ari’s hands.  “It’s OK Ari, I’ll be fine but we’ve no time.  As I said: we need to contact Kazic.”  She began to ping his comms, her face serene and patient when in truth she felt anything but.  Gingerly, she touched her brow; without any Healing, she could tell that her left eye would be swollen shut in a few hours.

“My ship is this way.”  The younger woman paused.  “Saani…why don’t we use your blackstone orb to call him?”  Ari fell into step besides Saani but soon took lead as she led the Twi’lek to where she’d docked.

Saani grimaced, her still bleeding and broken lips expressing the anger she felt.  “Because, J’Nessah Raahn stole the one you’d given me and I don’t want her to know that I’m no longer her prisoner.”  Ari silently nodded.

When Kazic did answer his comms, Saani told him of everything that had occurred.  And while Ari’s presence was a welcome surprise (although he wasn’t shocked given what he’d felt through his own blackstone orb), he told his wife of his own attack from the would-be assassin and his subsequent deductions concerning Anson’s clairvoyance with their respective whereabouts, as well as about Corvus’ sacrifice and Ryshhk’s defection.

“That would explain some of the intel that I gleaned before my capture…” Saani’s voice became introspective.  “I’d wondered why Anson had sent out a city-wide seizure order for Speaker K’rrmerii…”  She shook her head.  “Kazic, you were right: Anson has relocated all of his forces to Lus’phor.  Jedi, military, even the Collegium.  And I know exactly where their new base is.”

“Nicely done.”  His voice sounded…off.  “Kanp’a…” But Saani cut him off.

“No, K’ompo.  No regrets.  I’m fine…if a little worse for the wear.  This intel was necessary, especially since—”  She barely paused, aware that any mention of Valens would surely pique Ari’s interest.  “–you were correct concerning the results, if not necessarily the impetus.”  She reached out with the Force and, as they had time and again Joined, intertwining Kazic’s with her own, their own special way of communication and sharing.  Saani sighed.  “…I’m just sorry that J’Nessah got away…”

But it was Ari’s pronouncement that changed everything.  “Saani, I know where J’Nessah Raahn is and I can take you to her.  She’ll never expect us.”

Saani considered for a moment.  She was not given to impulses and was not vengeful…but she had a grievance with the dark Speaker.  And—she had to admit—she would make a valuable hostage.

While Kazic listened, Saani began laying out plans as Ari nodded eagerly.  One way or another, J’Nessah was going to regret ever underestimating her.

<<<<< >>>>>

Anson looked down at the young man, consternation painted across his face.  Even though his lightsaber never wavered, the young man didn’t flinch, his own face radiating defiance.  But the emotions roiling from him were a potent mix of incredulousness, impertinence, and fear.

Anson’s brown eyes drilled into the young man’s light blue.  Without looking away, he addressed the members of the Collegium.  “Look.  LOOK!  This is what Kazic has sent in his stead: not some daemon of myth, stealing souls through voices.  Not an invincible, inexorable killing droid.  Not even an undead, half-sentient rakghoul.  Look!”  Using the Force, he lifted the young man—armor and all—for everyone to see.  “This is no monster, no Sith, no myth come to life.  Merely a boy, a boy who is afraid.”

When he finally looked to each of his Collegium, Anson saw within their eyes their questions, their uncertainties, but also their relief.  Their relief that the shadows were NOT nigh-unstoppable…that they were mortal.  Anson knew that he’d shored up their doubts, both in him and in the war.  He smiled.  Kazic had played his hand and played it well but now he saw the skifter for what it was.

This was no Legate card, only a worthless Two of Flasks.  

Anson’s smirk was for the cowards in his own retinue as much as for the reputed invulnerability of Kazic’s armored agents.  And he opened his mouth to denounce them as the gimmick that they were.

All lights went out within the large hanger, the air oppressive… disturbing and full of menace.

And when the light returned, there standing imperiously and radiating domineering might was one of the armored beings.  Only, his head stood exposed, his face dangerous and fearless.  Everyone within the room shrank away from the power that the figure exuded.  

Everyone…except two.

The young man looked at the new armored figure with something very near adulation.  

Anson looked at the new armored figure with curiosity.

However, both felt awe.

Anson stepped forth, challenging and unafraid.  “Who are you?”

The hulking armored figure didn’t move but somehow his eyes seemed to pierce the remaining darkness within the hanger.  And when he finally spoke, his voice although quiet belied its calmness.

“I am Valens.”  The air felt electrified.

Anson inhaled, now fully recognizing the opponent that he’d fought while Flow-Walking.  But before he could speak, Valens continued.

“You have maltreated a woman of the People.  For this egregious sin, you will be punished.”  There was suddenly an enormous sword in his hand.  “And I will be the one to pass judgment.”

“I do not recognize your author—” Anson began before being completely overridden, his voice a small thing compared to Valens’.

“You.  Are.  Guilty.  And I am your executioner.”  And with that, Valens launched at Anson.

Only a half-second behind Valens, Anson attacked as well.

They both met in the center of the hanger, a peal of thunder reverberating through and throughout the air, the building, and even the planet itself as blackstone blade struck green lightsaber.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: