Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: BLACK PANTHER OPENING BOX OFFICE SMASHES RECORDS  (Read 1626 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« on: February 18, 2018, 07:36:52 PM »

So it seems Black Panther made $192 million it's opening weekend in America, making it the 5th biggest box office opening for any movie ever!

They laughed at me when I said the financial experts under-estimated the black dollar. They laughed at me when I said I wouldn't be surprised if the movie opened close to $200 million. Well, who's laughing now?
(Well, Marvel and Disney obviously)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhWaDsGr-60" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhWaDsGr-60</a>

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 09:24:33 PM »

So it seems Black Panther made $192 million it's opening weekend in America, making it the 5th biggest box office opening for any movie ever!

They laughed at me when I said the financial experts under-estimated the black dollar. They laughed at me when I said I wouldn't be surprised if the movie opened close to $200 million. Well, who's laughing now?
(Well, Marvel and Disney obviously)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhWaDsGr-60

They timed it right releasing it on a holiday weekend as well

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 09:28:34 PM »

They timed it right releasing it on a holiday weekend as well
Isn't it Black History Month in the states too? Plus having one of the best casts assembled for any comic book movie ever. And the great introduction to the character in Civil War. A confluence of events if ever I saw one.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 10:04:49 PM »

Isn't it Black History Month in the states too? Plus having one of the best casts assembled for any comic book movie ever. And the great introduction to the character in Civil War. A confluence of events if ever I saw one.

Yes, Febuary is black history month, but Monday is Presidents Day...not a huge Holiday but most government agencies are off on Monday, including schools.  So three day weekends are always really good for movie openings

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 10:39:06 PM »

The black dollar? I totally hate that this movie (and not by you) is being made into a black and white thing by the media. They kind of thing rant turns me off. All the dollars I have even seen here (in the US) are green. Not black, nor white, or any other color.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 10:45:19 PM »

The black dollar? I totally hate that this movie (and not by you) is being made into a black and white thing by the media. They kind of thing rant turns me off. All the dollars I have even seen here (in the US) are green. Not black, nor white, or any other color.

I feel I should clarify. By black dollar I mean black people who would never normally go see a comic book movie, but will go see this one. It's just a term similar to silver surfers (pensioners who are very adept at using the internet).

However, in the same way as Wonder Woman appealed to the female demographic in large droves, this movie appeals to a black audience. Doesn't mean it will alienate anyone from a different ethnicity or background.

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 11:36:34 PM »

I feel I should clarify. By black dollar I mean black people who would never normally go see a comic book movie, but will go see this one. It's just a term similar to silver surfers (pensioners who are very adept at using the internet).

However, in the same way as Wonder Woman appealed to the female demographic in large droves, this movie appeals to a black audience. Doesn't mean it will alienate anyone from a different ethnicity or background.
I know what you meant by black dollar, my point is why do people feel the need to make it a black and white thing. But I know where your coming from.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

DaddyFlip
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 37

^DarthScrub Avatar Mod!

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 02:11:02 AM »

I totally hate that this movie (and not by you) is being made into a black and white thing by the media. They kind of thing rant turns me off.

I don't want to rant too much, but I agree with tx. Why is it that a white person cannot have a black hero or a black person cannot have a white hero anymore? That's the travesty of modern day diversity; the need for diversity at all costs has taken such a hold that we've become dogmatic in all our views.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 08:08:59 AM »

As a black person representation matters. Don't get me wrong, I love superheroes no matter what colour their skin is (hence the reason I always write non-spoiler reviews for the big budget superhero movies I see). However, in the case of Black Panther, seeing a superhero movie where the lead character and supporting characters touches me deeply. That's not to say that the movie is ONLY for black people. Far from it. But, in the same way as Wonder Woman was an important movie for the female demographic, which everyone can enjoy, Black Panther is an important movie for people of colour, that everyone can enjoy.

Also, the Oscar winning actress Octavia Spencer bought all the tickets in a cinema so that black kids for poor and disadvantaged areas could go to see this movie. Elsewhere there were GoFundMe and Kickstarter campaigns doing the same thing. All because people in various communities thought this was an important movie for young black children to see. Not to make this a black or white issue, but I never heard of things like that happening for other movies (but if it did and I never heard about it then that's my bad).

Finally, my initial post was just meant to be a celebration of the success of this movie, not just because of people of colour, but because so many people have embraced how amazing the movie is. And the fact that black people who never normally go to see movies like this contributed to the runaway box office success is something that should be celebrated as it will mean studios will start making more diverse movies which ultimately can only be a good thing.

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 03:28:21 PM »

It’s all about expanding the market and this movie has succeeded.  Think of how many new fans they picked up with this and they’ll just ride that wave right into Infinity War.  That’s a very good thing.

Honestly this was one I really wanted to see, I’ve always enjoyed the character in animated movies and video games.  But I’ve not seen a Marvel movie since the Avengers.  That’s a hell of a catch up game I’d have to play lol.

Some of the art designs and costumes from this movie looked stunning, I can’t wait to see what cosplayers do with it!

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 05:41:03 PM »

It’s all about expanding the market and this movie has succeeded.  Think of how many new fans they picked up with this and they’ll just ride that wave right into Infinity War.  That’s a very good thing.

Honestly this was one I really wanted to see, I’ve always enjoyed the character in animated movies and video games.  But I’ve not seen a Marvel movie since the Avengers.  That’s a hell of a catch up game I’d have to play lol.

Some of the art designs and costumes from this movie looked stunning, I can’t wait to see what cosplayers do with it!
Yes. This. ^^

This short video sums up the feelings and opinions perfectly
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sopAFRvwTPM&amp;t=173s" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sopAFRvwTPM&amp;t=173s</a>

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 07:04:51 PM »

And the records keep tumbling. Black Panther becomes only the 5th movie in history to break $200 million on it's opening weekend!!!!!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3pQS32qmcM" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3pQS32qmcM</a>

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 08:51:22 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhWaDsGr-60

Will be checking it out tomorrow and am looking forward to seeing.  Ticket purchased in advance from a black plastic credit card... popcorn white with yellow butter in a red bag... bottle of water clear.  lol  Cheesy

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 09:44:11 PM »

Will be checking it out tomorrow and am looking forward to seeing.  Ticket purchased in advance from a black plastic credit card... popcorn white with yellow butter in a red bag... bottle of water clear.  lol  Cheesy
Point for funniest comment of the day  Cheesy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: