Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Author Topic: War Journals  (Read 17565 times)
Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2018, 02:22:04 PM »

I second the request: Reports from the Mandalorians.  I want to know more about them!  :-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

TheDrunkenConsular
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 44

Light Side

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2018, 06:37:03 PM »

Ask and ye shall receive!

MARZ

5 ABY

"Team Aurek in position."
     "Team Besh, in position."
     "Team Cresh is ready."
     I couldn't help but grin a little as my team leaders reported in.  This was going to be fun.  It was a standard smash and grab; smash the windows, smash the doors, smash the occupants, grab the target. 
     The AO was not perfect; an old abandoned factory, located in a rainforest on the outskirts of a long dead city.  The interior was a maze of machinery.  A local terrorist organization called FS-7 had taken a planetary leader's son hostage, and was demanding an exorbitant ransom.  This little backwater planet was below Imperial notice, and the man was convinced that as soon as he handed over the credits his son would be killed, so he'd hired the best to resolve the situation.

Team A was stacked up on the exterior door, ready to breach.  Team B had repelled up the walls, to the windows two thirds of the way up.  Team C was on top of the building, charges set to blast a hole in the roof that they would drop down through.  There was dead silence in the night air, even the bugs had gone quiet, as though they too awaited my orders.

"Besh, Cresh, go now!"  Suddenly, the silence disappeared.  Breaking glass, the muffled Thump! Thump! of smoke launchers, then the near deafening crash of the charges on the ceiling, followed by the hissing roar of jetpacks.  "Aurek, move!"

The man in front of me stepped out in front of the doorway, gave a jet-enhanced kick that sent it flying off the hinges, and stepped aside as I led the rest of the team in as blasters began to scream.  Chaos was unfolding; there was a thick haze of smoke that our visors had no trouble seeing through, but the terrorists within it were blind.  As they coughed and concentrated their fire on the mercenaries shooting down from the windows, Team C hit the floor, landing in a circle and pouring precision fire into the smoke, every shot dropping a target as Team B unleashed volley after volley of suppression.  I stepped into the smoke, my head scanning side to side for both potential threats and our target, as the terrorists in the building dropped like flies.  I noticed a movement dart behind a large machine in front of us, and raised my T-21 blaster, quickly sidestepping around the corner and pulling the trigger twice.  The insurgent fell to the floor, and I saw the hostage tucked into a corner of the building behind him, cowering on his knees with a bag over his head.  We quickly moved to him and two of the men behind me stepped forward, grabbing him by each arm and hurriedly marching him towards the door.
     "Target secure, Cresh, extract.  Besh, drop the hammer!" I said over the commlink and B team began to unleash hell, covering C team as they jetted upwards, back out through the hole they'd blown in the roof.  C team hit the ground as A team reached the exit.  "Besh, extract!" 
     The cacophony of blaster fire instantly subsided, and B team fast roped to the ground.  "Cresh, take point, Aurek, protect the hostage, Besh, cover the rear.  Move for the LZ!"
     We had to pull back to a clearing several hundred meters into the forest, where we would rendezvous with our gunship.  The problem was that insurgents were pouring out of the factory, fast.
     "How many of those sons of bitches are in there?"  Gandin, the Besh team leader, shouted as his team began firing back at them.
     "Contact, 3 o'clock!"  Marda, the Cresh leader, shouted, and red bolts lanced out at them from that direction.
     "Get low and press forward!"  I said into the commlink, keeping my voice calm but firm.  "Cresh, Aurek, switch to heavy weapons and clear us a path."
     "This really sucks, Commander!" Gandin said, but with a lighthearted tone as his team traded fire with the insurgents behind them.
     "Path cleared, Commander!" Marda reported.  "Recommend we piss off while we can!"
     "You heard the woman, all units, double time!"  I said, looking over each of my men to make sure they were in one piece. 
     "We're fifty meters from the LZ!"  Marda said. 
     "It's still pretty warm back here, Commander!" Gandin warned.
     "So cool things down, Besh!" I responded, and then keyed up the frequency of our shuttle.
     "Team Dorn, we're approaching the LZ."
     "Affirmative, Commander.  ETA is five minutes."

It was only a moment before we broke into the clearing.  C team immediately took up a defensive position, as A team secured the target.  B team wasn't far behind, and they joined C team's defense.
     "It's about to get hot!"  Gandin said.

He was right.  Reinforcements had joined the insurgents from the factory at some point, and there were too many to accurately count picking their way through the trees quietly.  They were waiting on something.

A whistle, far away but getting nearer rapidly, was the answer to what that was.
     "Get down and open fire!"  I yelled, dropping to my stomach as the mortar hit the clearing.  Dirt and stones rained down as fire shot into the sky and the ground shook.  The air was filled with blaster fire from both sides, and a burst of automatic fire came uncomfortably close to my helmet.
     "Arm your auxiliary weapons, boys!"  Marda ordered her team as the insurgents pushed forward.  "Fire rockets!"
     A volley of microrockets shot between the trees, lighting up the forest for a heartbeat.  They barely made a dent in the attacking force.
     "Fire again!"
     "Again!"
     They trees and brush caught too many of the rockets before they reached their targets, and the enemy drew ever closer.
     "Switch to blasters and prepare flamethrowers!"  Marda ordered.
     "Aurek, Besh, follow suit." I commanded.  "Dorn, what's your ETA?"
    "Two and a half minutes, Commander."
    "Make it one and a half, and come in hot."
    I turned to check on the target, and a bolt slammed into my pauldron.  It felt like I'd been hit by a hammer, but the armor held.  Two members of Besh had been hit as well, and one of them wasn't moving.  The target was lying in the fetal position and whimpering, but intact.

I heard the whistle again. 
     "Heads down!" I yelled, before being tossed into the air as the ground bucked.  I landed on my back, dazed.
     I blinked my eyes quickly, trying to recover.  I could still hear, my helmet having protected my ears, but my brain couldn't process the sounds.  It seemed like there was a rhythmic Thump! Thump! Thump!' drowning out everything else.  Suddenly, a huge green shape filled my vision, and everything snapped into place.  The green shape was our gunship, and the thumping sound was the automatic grenade launcher in the open door.  As the grenades went off, the sound washed out my helmet's speakers, and Marda and Gandin each grabbed one of my biceps, dragging me onto the gunship.  Everyone else was already aboard, target included.
     Gandin and Marda dropped me into a seat before turning to fire out of the door, and one of the medics, Nima, knelt in front of me. 
     "You alright, Commander?"
     "One hundred percent, Nima."  I responded, and he stood, clapping me on the shoulder.  I looked around the gunship as it ascended and the doors slid closed.  Not everyone had been so lucky. 
     "Casualty report?" I spoke into the commlink.
     "Three dead, nine wounded.  Two of those nine are critical, the other seven only minor." Nima replied.
     "Do what you can for them."
     "Affirmative."

Suddenly, the sound of a lock-on warning came from the cockpit, and one of the pilots turned to shout something that was lost in the sound of an explosion.  The gunship bucked and pitched, and alarms blared.
     "Hold on!"  A pilot yelled, as the gunship settled into a steep dive toward the dead city ahead of us.

TO BE CONTINUED

Who says red is only for the bad guys?

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2018, 07:20:42 PM »

LOL  Somehow I knew it was to easy...  ;-)

Awesome!  Love getting to know Marz better!  Bringer of War indeed! 

TheDrunkenConsular
Knight Ensign

Light Side

« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2018, 07:31:33 PM »

LOL  Somehow I knew it was to easy...  ;-)

Awesome!  Love getting to know Marz better!  Bringer of War indeed! 

Hey, for Mandos, NOTHING is too easy.

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2018, 10:54:28 PM »

Terrorists, with their surprising toys, and uncanny numbers, though usually lacking in tactical planning.  Well disciplined military units work like precision time pieces, even when they have to adjust, which they often have to do.  The problem with fighting those who don't know the steps of the dance, they often throw a step that the experts have to adapt, out of time, to contend with.  Bravo.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2018, 11:23:51 PM »

Hitting hard and fast...these guys don't mess around and make sure they are prepared...captured that Mando spirit and mentality quite well i think!

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2018, 03:21:42 AM »

Funny thing: never cared too much about Mandos...but this story had me on the edge of my proverbial seat  Smiley

I'm a sucker for "squad tactics" in war-movies/TV/books and this was just fantastic!

But now I've got to know: what's next?!  Nicely done TDC!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2018, 10:30:22 PM »

Funny thing: never cared too much about Mandos...but this story had me on the edge of my proverbial seat  Smiley

I'm a sucker for "squad tactics" in war-movies/TV/books and this was just fantastic!

But now I've got to know: what's next?!  Nicely done TDC!

Agreed.  I suddenly care about some Mandalorians!  Best part is, because they're allied (hired by?) the Templars they've become "good guys".  So we care...  :-)

TheDrunkenConsular
Knight Ensign

Light Side

« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2018, 07:39:19 AM »

MARZ

5 ABY

The last thing I could remember was an ancient skyscraper, covered in moss and vines, swelling up all too rapidly in the viewport.  Then, blackness. 
     Now, I was lying on my back, staring up at a rusted ceiling.  My left shoulder throbbed with pain, and the smell of smoke, burning oil and twisted metal filled my nose.  I wasn't wearing my helmet.  My head was pounding, and I groaned involuntarily.
     "The commander's awake!"  Marda shouted.  In a split moment, our second combat medic, Izzy, was kneeling over me.
     "How you feeling, boss?"  He asked.
     "Like hell."
     "That could be a good sign, if you think about it.  I need you to wiggle your toes, your fingers, tell me your name and count backwards from ten."  She said briskly, and I readily complied.
     "Elo 'Marz' Arronak, ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one.  I've got some pain in my shoulder, but I think my head's alright and I'm not paralyzed."
     "You dislocated the shoulder.  I reset it while you were out.  We need you on your feet here, Commander."  She stood and offered me hand to get to my feet.  I surveyed the situation for the first time as Izzy handed me my helmet.
     The gunship had smashed into the side of a monolithic skyscraper that had been as empty as the rest of the city for centuries.  It was a mangled, smoking heap against the back wall of the large room they were in, a swath of destruction behind it trailing through several other rooms to the gaping maw it had torn in the exterior of the building.  The unharmed survivors of the crash had set up a defensive perimeter at every entrance, and the less fortunate lie on the floor in a row, where Izzy and Nima were administering aid hurriedly.  There was another row off to the side, still forms covered by their thin thermal blankets.  Out of our thirty-five man team, only twenty-one had made it this far.  Both pilots were dead, and so was Ganding.  Everyone else's armor was burned, sooty and dented.  All alone sitting in a corner, his bindings and blindfold removed, was our target, the young man looking shaken but unharmed.
     Marda was overseeing the regrouping and reorganization of the team.  Undamaged weapons were being stacked up, along with what rations and medical supplies had been recovered from the fire.  I started towards her when the telltale crack of an old Tusken cycler rifle range out. I turned my head towards the hole in the side of the building.  Doke, a sniper from Team Besh, was lying prone with his trusty weapon.
     "What do you see, Doke?"  I spoke into my helmet's commlink.
     "The insurgents, sir.  They're moving in, but I seem to be able to scatter them every few minutes."
     "Good work.  All units, prepare to move.  If you can walk and hold a weapon, do so.  Krake, how is the rappelling equipment?"
     "Intact, sir! Along with our anti-speeder mines and tripwire bombs, but we lost the heavy rocket launchers and one of the heavy guns."  The combat engineer replied.
     "Excellent.  Anchor the ropes, everyone but Team Cresh will be rappelling down.  Cresh, check your jetpacks.  You'll be dropping down to cover the rest of the platoon's descent.  Medical personnel, evaluate our wounded for combat capability and prepare those who can't move under their own power for transport.  Team Dorn, recover all navigational and communications equipment you can.  I want everyone assembled in ten minutes!"  I barked the orders confidently, hiding my concern.  The fact of the matter was that we were lost and cut off, miles and miles out of communication range with the rest of the team. 

Doke's rifle cracked again.

The remnants of my Platoon stood in front of me, looking as proud as they ever had. They were beaten and bloody, but still strong.  Two of them leaned on crutches, and even they had rifles hanging from slings around their necks.  Team Cresh had taken no serious casualties, amazingly, but Aurek had been hit hard.  Of Team Dorn, only Nima, Izzy and Krake remained, the latter loaded down with explosives and carrying the automatic grenade launcher that had been mounted in the door of the gunship.   Many of the others were armed equally heavily, with a scattering of different weapons.
     "Alright, boys and girls, it's time to take a walk.  According to the maps from our flybys, in Sector B-43-G there's a building with old communications array on top of it.  That array is our primary objective.  If we can repair and jack into that array, we can get a message back to the ship and the boys there will sweep in and bring us out.  Our secondary objective, if that fails, will be to track some of these insurgents back to their base, which must be somewhere in the area, and steal a vehicle from them to get us home.  It's gonna get heavy out there, folks, so be ready.  Team Cresh is going to hit the ground first using their jetpacks, and we'll follow down the ropes."  I paused for a moment, looking over the gathered mercenaries, before giving the order.  "Cresh, go!"

One by one, Team Cresh hopped out of the gash in the side of the building.
     "Aurek, Dorn, go!  Besh, secure the target!"  The ropes went taut as the mercenaries hooked onto them and began lowering themselves, quickly working their way down the side on the building.  We blindfolded the target again, and strapped him into a harness that was then hooked up with my own web gear.  The process was for his own good; it wasn't easy for an untrained civilian to rope down the side of a two-hundred story building without panicking.
     "Don't worry friend, we've got you.  Just stay still."  I said to him in a friendly tone, booking my arm through a loop on his harness and easily tossing him over my shoulder, then attaching my guideline to one of the hanging ropes.  We were so high in the sky that I could see the tops of clouds.  My stomach turned a bit as I dropped out of the hole in the wall, planting my feet on the side of the building.  I felt the young man hanging on to me for dear life tense up, his breath growing ragged as he realized what was happening.
     "Just stay calm, buddy!"  I shouted over the wind, and began descending.

I wouldn't have been ashamed to admit how relieved I was when my boots finally hit the ground and set down the target.  I quickly took stock of the situation. 
     It was eerily silent, as though we were standing in a long-abandoned cemetery.  Ancient, mossy pavement made up the ground, plants growing through the many cracks lacing it.  The walls all around us were choked in vines and more moss, and in many places trees had taken over.  Everything the eye could see was covered in varying layers of green.
     A strong defensive perimeter had been established by those who'd already arrived, apart from two mercenaries who stood by the ropes to assist those still descending.  Directly behind me were the men with crutches, each of them piggybacking on one of the medics, and finally, Krake, the combat engineer.
     "Cresh, you're on point.  Besh, bring up the rear.  Form a loose column." I ordered, speaking quietly.  Every sound seemed to echo.  "Keep your weapons ready and your heads on a swivel."
     I joined Cresh at the head of the column, an RT-97C in my hands, replacement for the weapon I'd lost in the crash.  We made our way South, deeper into the city.  Every sound, our boots on the mossy pavement, weapons rubbing against armor, even our own breathing, seemed deafening in the crushing silence of the long abandoned streets.  We walked for half an hour before we began to feel it.  Eyes on the backs of our heads, coming from windows, corners and alleyways that were always empty when you looked back.  The sound of footsteps that maybe, probably, almost certainly belonged to the man behind you, but what if they didn't?  There were shadows that felt out of place, but I couldn't quite tell why.
     It only got worse as time went on, but I was just beginning to talk myself into believing that it was just my imagination when blaster fire erupted behind me.
    "Get down!"  One of my men shouted, and we all hit our knees as walls of blaster fire poured from our column into the windows and doors of the buildings around us.
     "Hold your fire!"  I shouted, and it stopped immediately.  The silence returned. "Where was he?"
     "Second story sir, third window from the right!"  The man who'd first fired, whose name was Gem, replied, pointing at the building to our left.
     "Marda, take three men and check that room.  Everyone else, hold steady."  I ordered.  Marda took her three favorite breachers and kicked in the perforated remains of the building's door.  A few minutes later, her helmet poked through the window in question.
     "Nothing in here but smoke, dust and shot up antiques, Commander."  She called down, before disappearing back inside.
    "I saw... I thought..." Gem said confusedly.
    "Don't worry about it, but don't let it happen again.  Keep it moving."  I said as Marda returned.
     We continued our journey, but the feeling of being watched never left us.  The deeper into the city we travelled, the denser the vegetation grew.  We were within a mile of the objective building with the point man raised a hand in the air, signaling a stop, and knelt.
     "Tripwire."  He said, but before he could investigate further, he grabbed at his chest and made muted sound, then fell forward onto the wire.  Everyone in Cresh dove backwards as a column of fire shot across the street, and our helmet speakers went silent, protecting our ears from the potentially deafening sound.
     "Sniper, sniper!  Get to cover!"  I shouted as sound returned.  "Doke, 12 o'clock!"
     "On it, sir!"  The sniper was already lying prone behind a large root, peering through the long scope of his rifle as the rest of us hunkered down in an alleyway.  An incoming round dug a chunk out of the root inches from Doke's head, but he didn't even flinch. 

Crack!

Doke's rifle rang out.
    "Got him, Commander."

Zip! 

The round slammed into Doke's helmet, and he slumped over his rifle. 
     "Stay down, there's another one!"  I yelled.  I reached to a pouch hanging from my web gear for my macrobinoculars as Izzy darted across the street to Doke's unmoving form.
     There was only one building with an unimpeded view all the way down our street, at the end of it around one thousand meters away.  I dialed in the range and peeked around the corner.  I scanned it quickly from a standing position and drew back.  It was a relatively short structure, thankfully with very few windows.  The sniper was most likely on the roof.  I increased the zoom on my binoculars dropped to my knees so that if he'd zeroed in on me he'd be forced to readjust, and peeked again, focusing on the roof.  It only took a second to located him, and I dropped back into cover.
     "Izzy?"  I spoke into my commlink.
     "He's dead, commander."  I bowed my head for a moment.
     "Can you get his rifle?"
     "Already got it."
     "The second sniper's on the roof of the building at the end of the street, all the way at the end to the right."  I instructed.  There was a sharp Crack! a few seconds later.
     "He's done for.  You see any others?"  I took a moment to check.
     "No, but we need to change up our route. Get over here, we're going to cut through the alleyway and move a few streets over if we can, into the heavier vegetation."

A few minutes later, we were making progress again, and the terrain the terrain became as much jungle as it was urban.  The heavy foliage meant it would be much harder for snipers to see us, but it was a lot easier to hide traps, and we had to slow to a crawl as our pointmen checked for signs of danger.  Finally, after what seemed like a decade of walking through the silent city, we came within sight of our destination.
     The building was only a few stories tall, and sat out in the middle of on open courtyard.  It seemed quiet; the enemy had no way of knowing that this was where we were headed, but we were still careful, and made our way across the open area quickly, kicking the door of the building in and rapidly clearing it. 
     This had been some sort of broadcast facility at one time.  There were dozens of offices and studios crammed inside, and fortunately, the stairs were intact.  It too dangerous to rappel up the sides in full view of anyone who might be watching.
     Defenses were set up on the top floor.  There were only two staircases leading to it, and plenty of windows that we could shoot down from.  We also prepared a fallback position on the roof, where Krake was going to work on the communications apparatus.  The complex system of dishes and antennas was in a woeful state of disrepair, but after raiding almost all of the platoon's electronics for power cells, he was fairly confident that he could jury rig something strong enough to get a message back to the Capital, where the rest of our comrades waited with the ship.  It wouldn't be a quick process, he warned, and the rest of us remained on high alert.

It was an hour before they began gathering in the trees and buildings around us.  We waited, biding our time, until they began assembling tripod-mounted heavy blasters at key vantage points in the area, and I gave the order to fire on those positions.
     It was as though we'd kicked an anthill.  At once, the enemy swarmed towards us, lying down a blistering amount of suppressing fire.  They were reprimanded at once by steady, aimed fire, and the first wave never got within a hundred feet of the building.  The storm of action had given them enough time to erect two heavy blaster emplacements on the south side of the building, and that side was raked with fire, forcing us to dig in behind the makeshift cover we'd assembled, and it was much harder to stop the second wave.  A dozen of them made it to the door, and they were inside just like that.

Their mistake.

"Besh, we have intruders on the ground floor."  I said as I approached the team defending the staircase.  "Looked like about ten of them."
     "Shall we go hunting, sir?"  One of the men asked.  I nodded, and he gestured to three of his team, who broke from their defensive positions and drew blaster pistols and knives.  I had equipped a retrofitted CA-87 shock blaster, modified to fire a brutal particle beam blast. 

Most fighting forces in the galaxy prefer to avoid engagements at extremely close distances; combat becomes even more messy and unpredictable than usual, and it's frightfully easy to make a misstep that can cost you your life.  That means that it can be a strong tactic to force your enemy into such a confrontation if you're prepared for it and they are not.  Our attackers had made a fatal mistake, however; Mandalorian Supercommandos are not only always prepared for such combat, we prefer it.

By the time we collided with them, the enemy had managed to get several more teams through the door.  It would not help them.  The five of us were a typhoon in the cramped offices, using our knives, fists and feet as much as our blasters.  I charged into a hallway filled with insurgents, pumping the trigger of my CA-87.  The overcharged blasts of energy tore into them, ripping through limbs and slamming bodies into the walls.  I only had a few seconds of firing time before the volatile weapon overheated, but it bought me enough time to get within arms reach of the panicking insurgents.  I let it hang from it's sling at my side and drew a vibroblade.  The hallways turned into a full blown melee, and every time I drove my fist into a nose or knee into a groin, the vibroblade followed, finishing off each enemy as my blows temporarily incapacitated them.  The other three commandos were operating very similarly, and we made quick work of the intruders.  I had to stop for a moment and catch my breath as I got to the end of the hallway, and as I did, I noticed the voice in my commlink.
     "Commander?  Come in, Commander."  It was Krake.
     "Go ahead."  I said, somewhat raggedly.
     "It wasn't easy, but I got this thing patched up and a message out.  Help is on the way."
     Relief flooded through me, and I took half a moment before responding.
     "Thanks, Krake.  All units, fall back to the roof and prepare for extraction."

I'd never been happier to see the forked hull of our custom built cruiser as it shot over the horizon, all guns blazing.  The destruction was apocalyptic as the  dual turbolasers on the belly of the ship began to fire.  The plumes of fire and dirt that were kicked up by the heavy armaments were perforated by spears of energy as smaller guns strafed the fleeing insurgents.  The ship settled over us, hovering a few dozen feet above our heads, and a large hatch slid open.  Four ladders and two stretchers dropped down, and I heard the pilot's voice in my helmet.
     "You boys still in one piece down there, boss?"

Ten minutes later, the whole ordeal was over.  In an hour, we were handing the target back over to his very grateful father.  In three hours, we were in orbit, and I was standing on the bridge of my ship.
     "Where to now, Commander?"  The pilot asked me.
     "Nar Shadaa" I replied.  "A cushy job for some two-bit gangsters would be nice right about now."

The stars outside the viewport stretched into lances of white light before the blue vortex of hyperspace replaced them, and we were off.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2018, 12:33:45 PM »

That was intense!  But what a read!  Love the urban/close-quarters fighting; those Mandos know their jobs...

Still, the casualty list was not insignificant and you conveyed a gritty realism from the start.

Again, you really made me care for the Mandos when before I'd never been particularly impressed by them.  Great job TDC!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2018, 02:48:33 PM »

Excellent!  I've always been fascinated by Mandalorians.  My first "hero" in the SW universe was Boba Fett, when all I knew about him was that he had cool armor.  :-)  I was SOOOO disappointed when I found out he wasn't a Jedi.  LOL

The action in this is tight and gritty and it feels real.  There's a visceral connection to the combat, the losses and the drive to get the job done.  Nicely done.

And that next job...  Yeah.  Easy.  ;-)

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2018, 02:56:55 AM »

Brutal line of work...some serious losses as Dutchman an Karm noted...The pay had better be good to make up for it...but that can't be all...I guess that's the thing about Mando's they'd fight without the pay I think, its their nature...but a contract gives them tactic approval to do so and keeps their bellies full.

Lord_S_Gray

Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

TheDrunkenConsular
Knight Ensign

Light Side

« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2018, 09:43:35 PM »

HEDITT CRESCENTFALL
 4 BBY

I took a sip from my canteen as I walked into what passed for a city on this wretched planet.  It was hot, but that I could deal with.  What I couldn’t stand was the miserable, heavy, sticky humidity.  It was like breathing water.  But, I came here to do a job, and even if it was a miserable job, the wretch I was after needed shooting.  There was a Dark Jedi here, and he had turned the relatively primitive population of this place into willing slaves.  In the town square I was approaching, the townspeople were were toiling to build a statue of him.  I scoffed at the stereotype, but a lack of originality didn’t make the man any less dangerous.

The town was situated in the jungle, at the base of a series of great rolling hills that couldn’t quite be called mountains.  The people here were simple; they knew not of space travel, or blasters, or droids.  They were farmers, with simple weapons and vehicles based on combustion technology.  The buildings were made of plaster and wood, and the streets were mud and dirt.  Women in market stalls sold fruit and hand woven clothes, men in uniforms patrolled with rifles.  I paused for a moment to check my reflection in a puddle of water to ensure that I was blending in.  I wore a straw hat with a brim that was almost ridiculously wide, and a woven serape that hid my weapons.  I pulled the hat down low to cover my face and adjusted the grip of my DL-44, then turned my gaze upward.

Outside of the town, at the end of a winding road atop one of the green hills, was a great walled mansion.  That was the nest of my quarry.  I had to admit, my plan wasn’t much of a plan.  I was going to march up there, kick in the door to his throne room and shoot him in the head.  If that didn’t work, well, I’d just have to improvise.  I set off, making my way towards the place and cursing the damned heat and the thrice damned insects.  It wasn’t a long walk, but I managed to work up a sweat by the time I reached the gates.  The guards tried to stop me, but a wave of my hand and a quiet murmur had them opening the gate and bowing as I passed.  I felt a bit guilty for manipulating them, but when I left they’d be free, so I figure it worked out in their favor in the long run.

The place was fancy, for sure.  A huge white palace, with immaculate gardening done on the outside and a huge set of stained wooden doors.  I put my hand up to blast the doors into kindling, but I changed my mind and used the knob.  Inside was a grand hall, with rich drapes, lush carpets and extravagant furniture.  In the middle of it all, sitting on a gilded throne, was my quarry, just as I’d hoped.  He was in the middle of a feast, being waited upon by locals in fancy outfits as he stuffed his face.  He froze when I cast open the doors and marched in, a look of confusion etched on his face as the doors closed behind me.
       “Who are you?”  He snarled angrily at me, upset that a commoner had dared interrupt his lunch.
       “I’m your boogeyman.”  I said with a grin, and drew the two DL-44s hidden under my serape.  I fired each of them twice, and all four bolts burned into the same hole, right where the little bastard’s head had been a nanosecond before.  He was fast.  I kept firing as he skittered across the room, but he managed to catch me off guard, and a Force push that felt like getting kicked by a Banthaa hit me in the chest.  I crashed through the wooden doors and landed in a cloud of dust on the dry lawn.  He was throwing a tantrum inside, screaming questions like whether or not I knew who I was dealing with, and if I was ready die.  I did, and I was not, so I got to my feet and knocked the dust off.  He was marching out of the palace now, a lightsaber in his hand.  I used the Force to call one of my DL-44s back to my hand, and hit him with a Force push of my own.  He tumbled back through the door, and I started pulling the trigger and walking forward, firing with every step.  I saw my second gun lying in the bushes and called it back to my other hand, then started shooting with it too.
        I finally made my way up through the door, but instead of a perforated dark jedi, the only thing I found was a floor full of burn marks.  I grinned, and spun around, dropping the DL-44 in my right hand and drawing my lightsaber, bringing it to a high guard and stopping the lightsaber in my quarry’s hand.  My left hand came around with it’s gun and I pulled the trigger three times, sending three bolts into his gut.
       “Nice try.” I said, as he stumbled backwards and collapsed.  I reholstered my weapons, straightened my hat, knocked the dust off of my serape and walked out of the door.  Nobody knew yet that they were free of him as I walked back through the town, and I doubted that anything would change, but from this point on, their problems would be their own, instead of being due to some alien, and that was enough for me.

When I got back to my ship, I realized that I couldn't remember what my quarry had looked like.  I chalked it up to fatigue, and punched in the coordinates to my next “job,” for my contentedness in having made some difference in the galaxy was always temporary.

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2018, 04:05:26 AM »

I think someone said this before...but Heditt really had a Ronin thing going here - straight in straight out, leaving a few corpses behind and not even stopping to recall the details once they are no loner relevant to him. Almost like a hitman in a way, certainly a vigilante. No real introspection or thought of meaning just "came here to do a job, and even if it was a miserable job, the wretch I was after needed shooting". Simple straight forward and yet troubling nonetheless.

Lord_S_Gray

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2018, 02:05:26 PM »

Agree with you totally, LSG.   And I suspect that he and Obi Wan would disagree about the desirability of blasters, if not the utility...  Smiley

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: