Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Jedi Names  (Read 10416 times)
NavyDocFaust
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 25

« on: February 20, 2018, 01:53:52 PM »

Good morning! I see that some of our members on here have some pretty cool Star Wars/Jedi names? I'm trying to think of one for myself. What are some of the creative ways you come up with your names?

Thanks!

Joel

Navy Hospital Corpsman First Class Petty Officer (Fleet Marine Force)

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 05:52:45 PM »

I can only speak for myself personally but usually I just play around with words and sounds until something sounds Star Wars-y. I honestly have no idea what inspired "Saso Is'kor" but that is the wonder of imagination. It's a different case if I'm writing Fan Fiction, then the inspiration can come from pretty much anywhere. One of my favorite things to do is Google some popular first names and surnames from other countries, you'll find that many of them sound pretty cool. In one of my stories both main characters have Hebrew names but sound just like they belong.

Imagination is key, if it is your own character then the name should resonate with you. Kind of like the Kyber crystal for your lightsaber... ok I'm getting too into this.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

NavyDocFaust
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 25

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 05:57:04 PM »

I can only speak for myself personally but usually I just play around with words and sounds until something sounds Star Wars-y. I honestly have no idea what inspired "Saso Is'kor" but that is the wonder of imagination. It's a different case if I'm writing Fan Fiction, then the inspiration can come from pretty much anywhere. One of my favorite things to do is Google some popular first names and surnames from other countries, you'll find that many of them sound pretty cool. In one of my stories both main characters have Hebrew names but sound just like they belong.

Imagination is key, if it is your own character then the name should resonate with you. Kind of like the Kyber crystal for your lightsaber... ok I'm getting too into this.

Thank you so much for your response. Never thought of using surnames from different countries. I scrambled up the letters of my real name and came up with Kel Jatuenes 😂

Any ideas on how to come up with Sith names? I haven’t quite chosen my path yet. Maybe I should just be a Grey Jedi 😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navy Hospital Corpsman First Class Petty Officer (Fleet Marine Force)

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 06:21:06 PM »

Sith names deal more with emotion, ambitions, strengths or weaknesses. I have seen where people take parts of their name and mix it with with one of those. For example, Kath is a mix of my first name and a deadly sin. I chose my first name because I thought it was fitting, Agana is Chamoru spanish and means blood. According to some new age naming site thats full of bs, [Agana is a girl name that means that You are ambitious, independent and have great drive, you are not easily influenced, you are mental and direct, you want to take charge, you have willpower and are resolute and purposeful, you have courage and boldness but may also be stubborn and willful.]

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

GrayTinker
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 64

Lady Gray. I fix stuff.

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 07:23:19 PM »

Interesting idea.  I do a lot of role playing and historical recreation stuff, and so I have a lot of different characters and personas with various names from different places and times - so when thinking of a Star Wars name, (I was gonna try Star Wars the Old Republic and needed a name) I let the SWTOR random generator go through a bunch.  But I found one that resonated because it was similar in sound and spelling to another persona name of mine - so it seemed like a good connection.   In medieval/fantasy scenarios, I have a Welsh name, Angharat.   SWTOR  created the name Anghal Revrat and I liked how similar it was.  Also,  "Revrat" just sounds cool.    So, I figure if I'm going to cosplay or have a Jedi persona, that's it..  Anghal Revrat. Smiley

-GT

Owned:  Standard Issue V3 FO  |  Dominix V2 AS  |  Dark Initiate V4 SY

Gray, but more light than dark. (Light Side Points Please)

"There is no light without dark, no up without down, no male without female - however, there will always be those that tread the unknown middle ground between them to make their own way in life and find their own balance." - Me

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 09:14:39 PM »

Interesting idea.  I do a lot of role playing and historical recreation stuff, and so I have a lot of different characters and personas with various names from different places and times - so when thinking of a Star Wars name, (I was gonna try Star Wars the Old Republic and needed a name) I let the SWTOR random generator go through a bunch.  But I found one that resonated because it was similar in sound and spelling to another persona name of mine - so it seemed like a good connection.   In medieval/fantasy scenarios, I have a Welsh name, Angharat.   SWTOR  created the name Anghal Revrat and I liked how similar it was.  Also,  "Revrat" just sounds cool.    So, I figure if I'm going to cosplay or have a Jedi persona, that's it..  Anghal Revrat. Smiley

-GT

Ahh yes, I forgot about the Star Wars name generators, excellent tip.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 11:10:33 PM »

For my Sith name I took the name Tepes from the history of Vlad Dracula, it means Impaler.  As for My Jedi Name (which I haven't used in a long time) I, on a whim, looked at three different things in my room at the time.  Dragonheart was on the Tv, directly behind it was a poster of Exar Kun (Eu Sith Lord) and on the nightstand was a book on greek mythology.  From that came my Jedi name, Bowen Xar-Titan.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 03:56:36 AM »

The 'Jinn' in mine came from Qui-Gon.
As to the 'Therion,' well, it just popped into my head while I was coming up with a name in SWTOR

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 09:30:44 AM »

I use a thesaurus a whole lot...

Find a common word you like, and look for odd synonyms.

Rapine means to loot, plunder, or raze.  "The violent, or aggressive seizure of property."  (also my SWTOR handle) Smiley

Altering the spelling, or adding misplaced apostrophes helps too.  For example.  James = Jam' se. Wink

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 12:46:31 PM »

As with many of my esteemed forum mates, I usually take names from people I know, make some "word salad" and come up with something that I think fits the character(s). 

I feel confident in speaking for my fellow writers but if you would like some specific examples, check out any of the threads by Karmack, Lord_S_Gray, Taegin Roan, TheDrunkenConsular, Illyiss, or even my own; there are SO many to see and it might inspire you to come up with your favorite names!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 01:24:26 PM »

I've always had a personal preference for using one real life (typically very old) name along with one that I create.  For instance, my Jedi name uses the ancient Roman name Nero along with Attoru, which is a scrambled version of my last name.  You can use ancient Greek, Latin, Roman, or many other different names and make it sound like Star Wars!

Here's the site I use to look up names:

https://www.behindthename.com/

It provides the meanings as well, which helps to pick one for a character.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 03:47:35 PM »

Two methods:

1) The traditional way to generate a SW name is:
                  First Name: First 3 letters of your first name + Last 2 letters of your last name
                  Last Name: First 2 letters of your mother's maiden name + First 3 letters of the city you were born

Mason Longcor/ Brooks/ Elkhart, IN     My SW name is Masor Brelk

(Only down side is everyone would have name with only 5 letters. Sad But it could help give you a start.)

My Sith Name was a derivation of inspiration. I had come across the character Darth Phobos (Gr. myth - the personification of fear), and thought the incorporation of ancient Greek was pretty cool. So I looked for something that seemed to fit my personality as well as the developing character. I also wanted something with similarities to my last name. I eventually came to 'Logos'. Little did I know what it's deeper meanings were. In philosophy it is the rational principle that governs and develops the universe. In debate, Logos is an appeal to logic, and is a way of persuading an audience by reason.

And thus, Darth Logos was born.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 12:34:45 PM »

Two methods:

1) The traditional way to generate a SW name is:
                  First Name: First 3 letters of your first name + Last 2 letters of your last name
                  Last Name: First 2 letters of your mother's maiden name + First 3 letters of the city you were born

Mason Longcor/ Brooks/ Elkhart, IN     My SW name is Masor Brelk

(Only down side is everyone would have name with only 5 letters. Sad But it could help give you a start.)

My Sith Name was a derivation of inspiration. I had come across the character Darth Phobos (Gr. myth - the personification of fear), and thought the incorporation of ancient Greek was pretty cool. So I looked for something that seemed to fit my personality as well as the developing character. I also wanted something with similarities to my last name. I eventually came to 'Logos'. Little did I know what it's deeper meanings were. In philosophy it is the rational principle that governs and develops the universe. In debate, Logos is an appeal to logic, and is a way of persuading an audience by reason.

And thus, Darth Logos was born.
...and some people think you're just the "scary Sith guy" Logos.  That is incredibly sublime sir  Cheesy

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 01:17:22 PM »

...and some people think you're just the "scary Sith guy" Logos.  That is incredibly sublime sir  Cheesy
Sometimes the logic behind an act is more terrifying than the act itself. Wink

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 08:57:34 PM »

Phone books.  Page through the phone book until something pops out at you.  Works like a charm.  :-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: