Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: LED/LED MLS Unit for Dark Apprentice?  (Read 1651 times)
flameandphoenix
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 1

« on: February 21, 2018, 04:32:12 AM »

I'm currently building my first Lightsaber piece by piece and I'm looking at the two options for LED units, neither of which list the hilt that I got (Dark Apprentice LE V4) as being "compatible" with them. I feel like an LED module/unit would be kind of an important piece of the puzzle but alas, no dice. What I'm asking is would one of them actually work or what other options do I have?

For reference the Modular LED System (MLS) unit is listed for currently fitting with the Bane, War Glaive, Dark War Glaive, Arbiter, Dark Arbiter, Consular, Archon v2, Bellicose, Shock LE, Dark Shock, Manticore, Overlord, Menace and Raven hilts.
The LED Module is currently listed for fitting All v2 Models, All v3 Models, the Guardian, the Monarch, All Reaper Models, All Mantis Models, and All Scorpion models.

DavidYaw
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 22

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 05:11:54 AM »

You want the LED Module, not the MLS unit. I replaced the LED in my Dark Apprentice v4, and that's what I used. For any saber that doesn't have a removable emitter, the LED module is the only choice.

A (non-MLS) LED module has a diameter of 1". This is the same as the blade diameter. Because there's no removable emitter, the LED module has to be inserted down from the blade end of the hilt, so the whole thing has to be 1" diameter. If you can take the blade out, and shake the hilt to get the LED out, this is the one you want.

For a saber with a removable emitter, the blade portion of the emitter is 1", and the hilt's inner diameter is 1 1/8", which is the outer diameter of the main body of the MLS unit. The MLS unit's flange is 1 1/4", and it gets held in place by the emitter, not the blade. It's bigger than the blade opening, so if you can't get it out without removing the emitter, this is the one.

LED Module (non-MLS). 1" diameter:

MLS Unit. 1 1/8" diameter with 1 1/4" diameter flange:

flameandphoenix
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 02:27:20 AM »

Alright! Thank you so much Cheesy

Shuriken
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 06:31:22 PM »

Thanks for the advice DavidYaw.  I have just purchased an empty dark apprentice hilt to mod myself, but having looked at it closer, I still don’t see how the led unit will be secured inside the hilt. If it has an external diameter of 1”, it will just slide all the way down to the switch, as there is northing else to stop/secure it.

I have a similar problem with the lost grey hilt too, as Embarrassed

‘If there’s a bright centre to the universe, I live in a town that it’s farthest from”

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 01:39:59 AM »

Hi.  US and some other saber companies do not secure the LED housing with a retention screw.  Once the wiring is attached it generally finds a way to seat itself inside the lower emitter without hampering the switch area.  The LED does tend to rattle if shaken until secured by a blade plug or blade.  There are some saber models that have a tapering in that area so the housing can only be pushed down so far.  If you were to go the quick disconnect route... the LED is quite easy to remove for better access.  Either way... there is minimal room for movement with both the housing and saber inner dimension emitter opening being closer to 1".

Over the years many suggestions and requests for a more stable positioning have been made by Forum members.  Others learn how to tap and drill and do it themselves if they really want to.  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 05:57:41 PM by Dauntless Seven » Logged

Shuriken
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 08:15:44 AM »

Really useful advice - many thanks.   This gives me confidence I have not made a big mistake, and I’m really glad my 1st experience in this forum was a positive one -so thanks for this also.

I guess I’ll have to review it when I get all the other components and actually see how they fit together, rather than hypothesising how they will/will not fit together.

‘If there’s a bright centre to the universe, I live in a town that it’s farthest from”

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: