Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: what should i buy on a budget?  (Read 1364 times)
morgor
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: -1

« on: February 23, 2018, 09:28:57 AM »

HI, I'm completely new here and only found out about this a few days ago but I'm quite interested.

I've been wanting to get a lightsaber from Ultrasaber for a while now, thing is I don't have a very large budget ($100-150). I was at first thinking I'd just get the Apprentice hilt and go minimal on it (I also want to dabble in dueling a bit so that's an extra $10 for a Heavy-Grade blade) but then I found out about the mystery box and grab bag and I'm having a hard time making a choice.

I'm somewhat leaning more to the grab bag over the mystery box (custom colour) but otherwise i'm not sure. I've also thought about maybe getting a double bladed saber, but it seems a bit expensive for my budget. so what shoulld I get? should I get the grab bag or get a custom hilt, or should i try to get a double saber? I'm not sure so any help would be beneficial. what would you suggest?

Have a good day
Morgor

Mosydys
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 21

Warrior of the Light Side

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 10:12:29 AM »

HI, I'm completely new here and only found out about this a few days ago but I'm quite interested.
I've been wanting to get a lightsaber from Ultrasaber for a while now, thing is I don't have a very large budget ($100-150). I was at first thinking I'd just get the Apprentice hilt and go minimal on it (I also want to dabble in dueling a bit so that's an extra $10 for a Heavy-Grade blade) but then I found out about the mystery box and grab bag and I'm having a hard time making a choice.
I'm somewhat leaning more to the grab bag over the mystery box (custom colour) but otherwise i'm not sure. I've also thought about maybe getting a double bladed saber, but it seems a bit expensive for my budget. so what shoulld I get? should I get the grab bag or get a custom hilt, or should i try to get a double saber? I'm not sure so any help would be beneficial. what would you suggest?
Have a good day
Morgor
Hello, Morgor! Welcome to the forum! All of your options have various pros and cons, I want to pick them apart individually.
Grab Bag. I find this option kinda useless, but to each his own. I think that choosing a colour is useless if you don't know your hilt type and colour. Might as well go for a full custom. And you also get it with a guarded switch with almost 100% certainty, so that's not great in my opinion as well.
Mystery Box. I'd prefer this, because you can get something way cooler than you paid for, you don't need to worry about choosing anything or paying for little extras like AV switch, which can be great for someone on a tight budget like you or me.
Double-Bladed Saber. This can be a great option if you want to do some advanced spinning or have a friend with which to duel with, but otherwise not really the best beginner's choice, if you ask me.
In your place(assuming shipping is not expensive where you live), I'd rather save up a bit get a $200 Mystery Box, since you'll get it with guaranteed sound, and possibly save even more by getting something cool.
Keep in mind that this is my opinion, your opinion may differ from mine. Just wanted to give you some food for thought.

May The Force Be With You.
Malice - Tri-Cree BR, Obs v4
Guardian - Diamond

morgor
Force Sensitive

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 12:34:39 PM »

thank you very much for the response! I suppose I can agree that simply a grab bag would bee pointless, it's really only the hilt that's different. I also think i understand what you mean when it comes to getting a double bladed saber, it would probably be better to just get the mystery box for a little bit of extra money. I think the main thing i don't understand is, aside from sound and the hilt, what are the differences of each lightsaber? does each lightsaber have anything aside from the handle that changes how they work and feel to use? if so, then i most certainly need to take another look. another thing would be how couplers works.
can i just grab any two lightsabers and put them together with a coupler. or do i need to specifically get a two bladed lightsaber? again, thank you for your thoughts, I'll be sure take a closer look

Mosydys
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 21

Warrior of the Light Side

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 01:47:41 PM »

thank you very much for the response! I suppose I can agree that simply a grab bag would bee pointless, it's really only the hilt that's different. I also think i understand what you mean when it comes to getting a double bladed saber, it would probably be better to just get the mystery box for a little bit of extra money. I think the main thing i don't understand is, aside from sound and the hilt, what are the differences of each lightsaber? does each lightsaber have anything aside from the handle that changes how they work and feel to use? if so, then i most certainly need to take another look. another thing would be how couplers works.
can i just grab any two lightsabers and put them together with a coupler. or do i need to specifically get a two bladed lightsaber? again, thank you for your thoughts, I'll be sure take a closer look
Luckily, I have some answers for you Grin
The only difference between various hilts is aesthetic. Some (v2), are not compatible with a standart Modular Hilt System, that Ultrasabers are using to make their hilts more customizable. You won't be able to couple a v2 and a v4, for example. The diameter of v2 hilts is smaller. Also, v2's are not sound capable. Otherwise, the experience will be mostly the same.
Yes, with MHS you will be able to get two separate sabers, a coupler and put it together to make a saberstaff. I suggest studying some of the videos US made about their products, they are very easy to understand.

May The Force Be With You.
Malice - Tri-Cree BR, Obs v4
Guardian - Diamond

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 03:56:38 PM »

I'll ask this to start - is there any hilt in particular which you like above others?  Take a look at the more basic hilts in the V3 and V4 line (as well as the Aeon/Dominix/Initiate V2) and see what jumps out at you.  Also, browse this forum to see from reviews and photos what they're each like.  If anything appeals to you, start there.  Decide whether you need features like sound or Li-ion setup (which does pay off over time).

As for the double bladed lightsabers, they're simply two of the single lightsabers attached with a coupler.  For instance, the Phantasm V4 is just two Aeon V4 hilts and a coupler.  In that regard, if you do want a staff, you can really pick any compatible hilts and connect them.  I recommend selecting two identical hilts, however, to allow you better control when spinning the staff (which is what most people love to do with the double bladed sabers).

Out of the basic hilts, I always highly recommend the Prophecy as a nice, slim and versatile option.  My personal favorite hilt from Ultrasabers is their Dark Prophecy, I have one that I've customized to my liking by switching the thumb screws for shorter set screws.

lovetadraw
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -175

Lawth VS Malice ~The End of Innocence

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 04:11:35 PM »

Addendum, if you like the feel of a v2 hilt, you can install using 3rd party boards and stuff. RGB capable too.

Here's one I did. https://youtu.be/AsAUNdRBe9w

"Somewhere between darkness and light I reside, seek not to save me, for I needn't rescue."

Emerald Consular Staff (PO and Gold)
Chimera (Custom with Maticore emitter)
Cyan Short Boi (Modified Dark IniV2Le)
Kylo Ren-egade (Custom with Renegade parts)
MHS Luke Hero (Archon emitter)
Mustafar's Wake (Modified Dark Prophecy)
MHS Skywalker Saber
MHS Darth Zannah

Punisher2468
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 11

Dark side points pretty please c:

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 04:24:26 PM »

My two cents is, if you don't care about having sound because you're going to be dueling get a mystery box. Its only 5 dollars more than a grab bag with a blade (because it's extra if you want the grab bag with the blade) and having a better chance of getting an amazing hilt that's guaranteed worth the price you paid for PLUS the chance of getting sound is worth it in my opinion. HOWEVER, if you find yourself fancying a hilt or specific color, go for custom. Unfortunately any sound saber will go over your budget especially with shipping costs, but at least you can get a beautiful saber like the Prophecy V3 in any color you'd like! Just my opinion, hope it helps!

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 06:09:59 PM »

Okay... for a first saber and budget restrictions you need to focus and then decide what do you want from your light saber.  To be clearer... what is the purpose of owning one.  Dueling, spinning, cosplay, display, etc.

You mentioned wanting a specific blade color(s) so that eliminates mystery boxes.  Since you are not sure about the saber other than perhaps the Apprentice... then look at the grab bags if you want to take a chance on the saber and pay extra for a specific color.  You do have enough funds to purchase a stunt staff and could get each one with a different blade color.  Then you have another saber for someone else to borrow for dueling.

Don't forget shipping cost.  Also Initiate and Apprentice staffs come with 24" blades.  You could pay the extra cost for upgrading to longer blades or keep those for staff use and purchase x2 grab bag blades.

Couplers do as they say... join 2 sabers together.  Look at your budget again and also at what Master Nero suggests.  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 09:14:53 PM by Dauntless Seven » Logged

morgor
Force Sensitive

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 09:02:41 PM »

thank you guys very much. I think I've now been able to narrow down my options from least to most likely as the grab bag, mystery box or stunt custom and a stunt staff. I'm planning to duel with it but of course there isn't a group for dueling near me, which means I'd probably just practice using a lightsaber at home if I got a single one, if I got a staff though, that's practically two in one which would be perfect! the other thing would be if I got a mystery box, I may not know anything that I get, but if I'm lucky, I could get something quite rare or get something way over my budget for much less. as obi-wan would say however "in my experience, there's no such thing as luck". the same applies for grab bags but they won't have sound at all. in other words, I'll probably get a stunt staff and then either a custom or mystery box after so I can switch one of the blades on the staff to something else or be able to duel with a different lightsaber.

thank you very much everyone
I hope you all have a great day.
Morgor

FathomFlier
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 61

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 09:42:20 PM »

Welcome to the forum, morgor. Smiley

I would agree with some of the others, in that it's probably worth your while to save that little bit extra and go for the $200 box, if you haven't really got a preference on hilt or features. Hopefully you'll get something really cool (although they're all pretty cool!)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: