Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down
Author Topic: Filtered Tri-AS Prophecy - Pic Heavy  (Read 55243 times)
hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« on: February 24, 2018, 07:38:09 PM »

I've had the US colour filters for awhile and had only tried them with a midgrade blade (my preferred type) and liked maybe 2 colours they produced.

Recently I tried using an UE midgrade blade and the results were vastly different, in a good way.  So many more colours came alive and very likely due to the different type of diffusion white polycarbonate provides.

Why I took so long to try this I don't know.

So I took pics with all the US filters in an UE midgrade blade.  There's more but I'll touch on that in a bit ...

Ok, it's not all of the filters.  Some of them are so close in colour that on camera you can't tell the difference and those are more in the pinks/purples.  Speaking of which, the pink/purple filters are the weakest showing as very washed out and really not too pleasant to use.  The green/teal/yellow/ filters are much better - showing truer colour while at the same time being bright.

So if you're going to use a midgrade, the colours that work are yellow and teal/SRD and they look good.  The UE provides more range with these particular filters.

I've finally gone and ordered a swatch book from Lee Filters.  For those that don't know these are light filters for stage use, they can perform under high heat, are bright while keeping truer colour.  There will be an overwhelming amount of shades to try and I plan on updating this thread as I experiment with them and with different blade types.  

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 08:22:00 PM »

Very cool Haz, and great idea. Smiley

I'm looking forward to seeing the colours you get from LEEs.

Likin' those yellows...old fart approved. Wink

+1

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 08:36:18 PM »

Go green!! 😁

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

Darth Davester
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -132

Dark Side Points, please

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 09:46:45 PM »

Great job, Haz!

+1 for the awesome pics.

And I buuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrnnnnnn for a Prophecy.

Oh yes, it will be mine, the preciouses will..................

I am one with the Force, the Force is with me.

Arsenal:
Dark Apprentice LE v5 Banes Heart Stunt-incoming
Dark Arbiter Consular Green Stunt
Dark Prophecy v3 Blazing Red Obsidian v4
Dark Sentinel LE v4 Arctic Blue Stunt

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 07:20:56 AM »

That's Haz, this could help answer a lot of people's questions.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 10:29:03 AM »

Thanks for this, I am sure all of your hard work will help anyone looking for answers about US's color discs.

And thank you for reminding me that I need to get a silver atound to getting a silver Prophecy as I have 5 of the Dark versions.

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 06:36:16 PM »

I'm really liking the pics of some of those blade colors.  Almost like a sepia with color effect.  I can mail you some Lee sample books anytime as have a local source.  I have gone through some colors within a few books already.

Are you getting your's from Canada or the US ?

point  Cool

hazard502
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 07:44:03 PM »

Go Green!

Thank you, guys ... this was fun to do and I'm pretty steadily using the filters in my blade now too. Although as a stand alone I really like the silver blade as well.

Thanks for this, I am sure all of your hard work will help anyone looking for answers about US's color discs.

And thank you for reminding me that I need to get a silver atound to getting a silver Prophecy as I have 5 of the Dark versions.

One Dark Prophecy for every Dark Night suit I imagine  Smiley

I'm really liking the pics of some of those blade colors.  Almost like a sepia with color effect.  I can mail you some Lee sample books anytime as have a local source.  I have gone through some colors within a few books already.

Are you getting your's from Canada or the US ?

point  Cool

Thanks  Grin  

It's too easy to take for granted how helpful our community is ... I totally would've asked/made a request for filters if I would've thought of it.  Thanks for the offer, I ordered a book directly from Lee Filter and it's coming from the U.S. $2 but it took a full week to process making me think they had to make one before it could go out.

Great job, Haz!

And I buuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrnnnnnn for a Prophecy.

Thank you, Davester! I'm sure it already goes with out saying but - a worthy investment it is Cool

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 07:55:55 PM »

That's a really good price if it includes mailing.  I think Lee still give one free sample book.  I have one book that I don't use but for a sample display with the color specifics.  You can likely get x3 1" circles while leaving a bit of the gel color attached to the book.  I don't think that you will want to take the book apart.  

I use a blade plug to trace the correct circle size for most sabers using the regular size of LED housing.  If you go too small they can slip underneath the LED rim and be difficult to remove.  If too large they could crinkle or sit in the emitter sideways.  I've often combined x2 filters and occasionally used x3 but the illumination can be greatly diminished.

An US disc with a filter can make a nice brighter shade.  2nd from the right are some US discs plus a deeper green cut to size filter.  There is a significant difference in size to the blade... therefore the plastic disc could rattle when saber is in use.  Also a few members have reported that the edges of the discs can melt if used for a more lengthy period on top of a tri-Cree Led.  Other members have had no problems with either the discs or the filters.

Sharp narrow curved scissors and a dental pick really help to get a smoother trimmed circle.  I just trace around the plug with the pick... also great for getting the gel filter out of the emitter as they tend to stick to the emitter wall.  Smiley

This information is mainly for the members who have not yet used the colored disc or the gel filters.  Thanks Haz for letting me jump on to your thread.  Cheesy

« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 09:54:48 PM by Dauntless Seven » Logged

hazard502
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 08:26:57 PM »

Really appreciate those helpful tips, D7 thank you.

Shipping was $7 and if the book is as thick as I think all in I'm happy with what I spent.

Biriv
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -17

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 08:46:59 PM »

Awesome combinations, i am using the same method of using the blade plug to trace and cut the filters (not Lee Filters as it seems they are hard to get in Europe, but something similar).
Your pictures look great, however i suspect in real-life the light is dimmer than in the pictures, at least this is how it looks in my case.
Do not forget to post an update when your swatch book arrives and compare the color discs from US with the Lee filters ..

The Guardian - Diamond
Bellicose - Blazing Red, ObLite
Aeon v4 - Consular Green
Dark Apprentice LE v4 - Arctic Silver

hazard502
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 03:24:52 AM »

Thank you, Biriv  Smiley  It's nice having you, D7 (others are welcome) give some of your experienced input with this.

The brightness is diminished just so, but the more brilliant/clarity of colour is the benefit ... when the right filter is used.

I have some high expectations with what the Lee brand can do as I've heard good things many times. Especially looking fwd to what the results will be with the std midgrade blade.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 06:25:14 AM »

Nice. I actually kinda like that shade above the yellow color, its like more of a bluer silver color to me anyway Tongue (Think Goku's Ultra Instinct colors) Only comparison I can really think of Tongue Ultra Instinct Silver Tongue I personally always liked filters in Ultra Edge blades as well especially for blues, greens, yellows, oranges, and purples. Try I think is what its called moon blue and light sky blue together, makes an interesting blue color =] Kelly and lime green make a good green together too. I think that was one of the combos I always used to use before with those anyway. But the two blue combos is almost a Revenge Of The Sith shade of blue or Attack Of The Clones shade. Medium and light blue is a good combo to do too

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 04:44:14 PM »

That's a really good price if it includes mailing.  I think Lee still give one free sample book.  I have one book that I don't use but for a sample display with the color specifics.  You can likely get x3 1" circles while leaving a bit of the gel color attached to the book.  I don't think that you will want to take the book apart.  

I use a blade plug to trace the correct circle size for most sabers using the regular size of LED housing.  If you go too small they can slip underneath the LED rim and be difficult to remove.  If too large they could crinkle or sit in the emitter sideways.  I've often combined x2 filters and occasionally used x3 but the illumination can be greatly diminished.

An US disc with a filter can make a nice brighter shade.  2nd from the right are some US discs plus a deeper green cut to size filter.  There is a significant difference in size to the blade... therefore the plastic disc could rattle when saber is in use.  Also a few members have reported that the edges of the discs can melt if used for a more lengthy period on top of a tri-Cree Led.  Other members have had no problems with either the discs or the filters.

Sharp narrow curved scissors and a dental pick really help to get a smoother trimmed circle.  I just trace around the plug with the pick... also great for getting the gel filter out of the emitter as they tend to stick to the emitter wall.  Smiley

This information is mainly for the members who have not yet used the colored disc or the gel filters.  Thanks Haz for letting me jump on to your thread.  Cheesy

D7, you should pin this in the FAQ.  Wow.  I thought I knew what I was doing with the Lee filters... 

For the record I also use a blade plug to trace the circle for filters.  I've never stacked them, though.  I can usually find a color I want with a single gel.  :-)  And the Tri-Cree AS is SOOO much better when you're filtering.  I have found "mixed" colors, ESPECIALLY yellow, are for whatever reason just superior when you filter vs mixing LED colors.  My SY blades are all AS with a filter.

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

hazard502
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 05:37:45 PM »

You're right, yellow is one of those great mysteries no one seems to get just right. Plus yellow seems to be a very personal thing for most people, I find.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: